I lived in 1997. I played this in KB Toys. You faggots will never. Never, ever, know how mind blowing it was...

I lived in 1997. I played this in KB Toys. You faggots will never. Never, ever, know how mind blowing it was. It was the most amazing game any of us had ever seen. The graphics and game might seem dated now, but at the time it felt like the moon landing.

There's lots more to talk about than just the graphics. The game doesn't get enough credit for its supporting characters. Also has the best incarnation of Cid around.

everyone has good childhood memories of shit games

Well this is a weird bait. Are you implying you're the only one here who played FF7 the year it came out ? Do you think you're fucking Methuselah ?

I don't know why you're implying that.
Hell it's FF7, it's not some obscure game, plenty of people played it on release day or earlier at some public showing.

In fact, where i live it was even more of a cultural phenomenon because unlike NA where people grew up with nintendo hardware, where i lived people grew up with Amiga and C64.
And a lot of people immediately switched to PSX and continued to go down the sony line from there.

This meant that people very quickly started playing tons of JRPGs and JRPGs players were far from being today weeb rejects crawling into a corner hugging their dakimakura, where i lived JRPGs were -the- main genre you played if you owned a console, it was absolutely the main thing on PSX, by far, being into JRPGs meant you were the average normalfag, the only more normalfag thing to be into was sports games.

So FF7 was huge, immensely huge, it was a generation defining game, saying that you played FF7 early on meant nothing, it was like saying that you drank water every day.

Don't just assume everyone here is either underage, and/or a nintendrone, you might be correct for a big chunk of the regulars here as the old Holla Forumstards die out or leave, but i'd say the vast majority of the board did play FF7 when it was released, it's nothing special to admit.

I remember beating it. I was so excited I had to run out of my house and tell someone about it.

Who did you tell

Family members because I was pretty young 9 or 10.

Manly Cloud is still my all time favourite JRPG protagonist.
Classic Omnislash is still the best super attack of all time.
Fuck, I still remember all fucking summons and unique materia quests.

That game was truly era-defining.

a) He was clearly addressing majority of Holla Forums's population, that is younger than the game in question.
Funny thing is you can be younger than FF7 and still not be underage anymore.

b) You just supported and expanded his point, good job

Doesn't the game show that Cloud isn't as strong and mature as he is initially portrayed?

That's the point.
After he remembered all the shit that happened he still managed to man up and press forward, supported by his friends and the sense of duty.
If that isn't the manliest shit, I don't know what is.

Not to shit on your parade, but that's just called being an adult, and has nothing to do with being manly. Still, it's true that Cloud exhibits these traits, and I can see why you'd think that would make him a decent character in the end.

If you're going to praise it for something, at least praise it for the Materia system.

In my game Cloud took Yuffie on the golden saucer date. So that makes him a pretty decent character.

Is this a bait thread?

Literally one of the most famous and played video games of all time and you're talking it up like it's special snowflake redditard bullshit.

Also I'm glad KB toys went bust. Was fucking shit.

That's what fags and trannies want you to believe.
I grew up with idea that man = adult person, the one who bears responsibility for himself and others around him, person who stands up against evil, overcomes his weaknesses and doesn't backpedal when shit go south.
That's the one and the same, I fail to differentiate the two.

Now considering just how fucked up Cloud was, with identity crisis and false memories and all that, it was truly impressive that he managed to accept what he was and continue his quest.
How and why sqeenix managed to undo all that with their expanded universe, is still beyond me. Fuck them.

It's not just cloud though, game had shitton of characters and archetypes that weren't common before, and all made very strong impression. Even fucking sephiroth is THE granddaddy of your pretty boy with long hair villain archetype.

Materia was great, but I liked Espers more. I think they're both sort of flawed, but for different reasons. Materia must be leveled, and when you max one out it suddenly spawns another. The amount of spells you can use are solely dependent on your empty slots, and some Materia take up more than one slot. You niggers know how it works. Basically, I think they could've come up with a balance between Espers and Materias. Maybe they could've given you a limited amount of spells you could learn from Materia that could also be deleted from your character in case you ever want to remix their moveset, but at the expense of having to start every spell or set of spells the Materia taught from base level. It would, at some point, render the Materia itself useless because you'd have spent time building each character's custom moveset, but it would have eliminated the need to carry more than one fully leveled Materia and would have eliminated the need to consider your Materia slots, at least at some end game point.

I'm sure Yuffie appreciated it

Interesting point of view, but in my mind it is true that a sense of responsibility is not tied to any aspect of your gender. Maybe you can think of examples where there would be an exception (like perhaps being a father or mother; each of these things implies responsibility but each of these things implies different types of responsibility), however most people can be taught to "do what needs to be done" in their specific circumstances. Men, women, children, and yeah even tranny freaks and fags.

not man enough?

KB toys went bust with most of America with it's arcades, shopping experience and pre-9/11 lifestyle, arcades, and generally a more ideal lifestyle.

celibate that all you want, you're just a faggot.

I bet you were born in that year too.

ITT:Baby first good rpg

There is difference between modern ambiguous definition of evil, and the old, classic one.

Modern evil = person protagonist doesn't or can't agree with. Is that even evil?
Classic evil = person who wants to fuck shit up in most horrendous way possible.

Problem with summons and materia in FF7 was that summon was just somewhat more powerful elemental spell. There wasn't much difference between casting Fire 3 or Ifrit.
Summoning should have been some separate mechanic.
But holy hell summons themselves were cool as shit.

As far as faggots and women go, I don't consider them as equal to men. I don't expect a woman to get shit done, even if she obliged to. But from a man I do.
People like me are unironically called sexist now.

He would still be 19.
Feeling old yet?

FFV is better

0/10

Stop parading for you virginity for a second and take off your nostalgia goggles. Literally the only thing good you mentioned were the arcades and even then it wasn't because of the arcade itself. Malls were always absolute fucking shit. As for 9/11, it was still fun and comfy for a few years after that during the early 2000s was a golden age for the internet for example. Now we'll never get the old internet back thanks to SJW fucks.

To me anyone born after 95 is still underage. My mind won't register that they're over 18.

Great point. Got anything else you'd like to pull out of your ass?

It was off-topic, but I guess I could add parks were places to go as kids, small public schools (with playgrounds) and not huge factory schools like we have now, much more income equality thousand lost freedoms.

So, whatever faggot.

This but start with 1990.

i'm tired. inb4 your spelling/grammar nazi shit.

The only way you can enjoy this is if you're filled with nostalgia for the time AAA used a lot of marketing to hype kids or if you unironically enjoy the combat. Either case, FF7 goes into the same bin with 8 and 10-2.

Plot isn't convoluted.

Protag isn't faggy, he's fucking genetically enhanced mercenary.

Antag is the same, but also insane. More insane anyway.

Aerith isn't near as important to the plot, as she is to waifufags.

Game isn't about fucking you mongoloid. Go play bioware shit or something.

Public schools were always garbage, especially the small ones with shit funding. Huge factory schools were always a thing and aren't better or worse than the other types. Parks were awful depending on where you were and in the 90s the crime rate was higher than in 00s. You have the income equality and freedoms lost correct but the second only became bad during the financial and housing crisis in late 2000s, during the early 2000s everyone was living shit up so much that it caused the financial crisis to begin with because certain retards in government thought EVERYONE needed to own a house. Freedoms lost is obvious and that's shit, sure. If there's anything to appreciate about the 90s, it was the certain "cool" and "rad" culture that was filled with optimism and gaming journalism amounted to "That game you like is totally rad and awesome!" instead of that "That game you like is shit, racist, and/or sexist plus we need more BBQwharlgabarlgol shit''.

Being 18 doesn't mean they're adults. Being adult and mature is also in the mind.

many 18 kids spouting memes, going to reddit, and acting like 16 out there.

same to all the way to 21.

nice story gramps

Well I lived in 1993' Poland and played Sim City's Commodore 64 port. You never ever ever will know how mind blowing it was. Did I said never ever before. Soo, never ever.

Let's make this OP into meme.

When I first had it bought for me back in 1998 I thought it was pretty boring and I could never get past the first boss. I was a little shit back then though.

Oh please, the one retail store i went to that actually had a fucking sega saturn you can play was more mind blowing than fucking FF7.

Minnesota dumped cash on public schools and parks in those days.

For shame.

I… think OP's implying we're all underage? Either way he has too many nostalgia dicks down his throat to make much sense.

FF7 is alright, it's just aged like milk. But I feel that way about most over-long low poly experimental games from this period, so don't trust me.

lol go to bed grampa

M8 I played it in 1997 and the graphics weren't the main attraction for it.
It did have decent gameplay and a fun story.

Thanks for telling us?
I have no idea why you made a thread about this.

i didnt like how you got the best character (yuffie) so late in to the game. thats why ffx is superior, rikku is always around, just take your perky loli.

Yuffie can be gotten fairly early, pretty sure you can get her right after midgar.

Cool story bro, then
Bad comparison. Game was a good thing.

I missed all advertising, there was no game scene, just something I liked. Someone else had it and showed me the ending, that's how I found out about it. Later knew it was good without playing it, went around to stores buying non platinum games to save them. Emulation and manual projects preserved games, eBay replaced stores but prior to that once games weren't found in stores you had no chance to play them.

I bought them unable to play them, and treasured them. Taking out the manual and going over it knowing it was something special.

Played it years later and was years before I bought it, when the PSX era was nearly over. And fading away taking everything good that came with it, with it.

Had a 64 instead and I am real sorry I didn't buy a Dreamcast, it impressed the hell out of me whenever shown on TV. May be important for consoles to come out first, but not prematurely. When an era has come and gone.

Sega made the best consoles. They were better and earlier, but perhaps too early. Making people feel like they are missing out is stupid. Systems should be pushed until they can't impress with their spec anymore. First party games leading that endeavour and sharing their advancement with others so working methods become bases for new heights. Raising expectations for what games are but no quality control, creators getting it wrong going under the radar until they get it right, recieving less attention, no negative attention. Maybe no help. All help going to what is impressive, if they want to do good then help those efforts, gain skill with them. Now though better to stay pure and publishers are parasites that may latch on and snuff out. Best to get ahead by games being good, sales irrelevant. Be praised by word of mouth and go on making things for the enjoyment of that. A group doing that like being with their favorite music and stuff, one of the good guys fighting the good fight where the bruises are all on the self.

More like that and a utopia builds itself for all that to live in.

Worry free. If something good isn't taken to, and it really seems to matter that may be felt in the advertising. Things leaving all the time. Impressive beyond belief around release the standard later. Enjoying that time where something does blow minds is like a reward for something being good.

Keep on and when that happens something better will have to so by then should be able to go on with that, comfortable and natural, doing it by lifestyle. People being dissapointed a real reason for good things not to be glorified. Needs to be something next maybe even though that would kill something great. Something being great even though it is going to die something helping the message to be great regardless proving that matters.

Also in immortality could be how things still die, better things replacing moments and memories unable to be held unless really loved then expanded from there. All points of construction from love.

Games are so far from what they were and need to be.

Made a post I didn't post but the gist is a system needs to come out that is all GPGPU. Wheras PCs have most of their cost in a range of stuff for content creation, a console entirely to offer enjoyable experiences. PCs ahead in a different direction. Consoles should have better GPUs but cost less.

Adjusting for inflation consoles should now cost around $2000, PCs $10,000. Both almost impossible to attain but very impressive.

May be good they haven't, inflation should be stopped.

Point being they should be too good, so enjoy things now lest you be unable to later.

Regarless of hardware games should always use low resolutions and like movies be a final presentation. Done without knowing if it will be liked, not known if good, just true to what it is.

So for another Sega console: a massive GPGPU, all cost being the GPU with controllers for a wide range of people sold seperately. A foot and a half entirely GPGPU, propped up by heat sinks and heat sinks above, higher where GPU will be hottest, no fans, use an industrial fan next to it, put in a feezer etc. $10000 worth of the best GPU possible. Extreme power draw. Should be work to make saving for it worthwhile so that needs to come first. Everyone with an income though and it is a distant option. Beyond the ideas of today able to implement them all with processing power to spare. People encouraged to think up more impressive things.

Play in short bursts because that is all that can be handled. Inspiration needing to be constructed, thoughts had etc, stave off finishig something.

No other models. Simple read only OS. A PC mode, where software can use hardware to facilitate content creation. No concern for presentation there, totally space conserving, and with a high resolution output to whatever is desired..

Console mode all presentation.

Console mode 100% of hardware used all the time, software acting later with better results, until then hardware unused auto allocated to prettying up game world, better anti aliasing etc.

But no high resolutions.
PC mode if you want complex RTS or top down games. Otherwise everything 3D or fast sidescrolling 2D.

Console mode 320x240i
PC mode whatever specified.
Phones as screens of course, 2D to 3D conversion done on them.

Games pretty much unable to look bad. Then all effort going into making them enjoyable.

Fecal Faggotry sucks mad dick. Play a real game nerd.

Proof you weren't there. I rented this game and just wondered why it looked so shitty compared to games that were already out on both PS1 and N64. This looked like garbage compared to Crash Bandicoot or Mario 64. Crash Bandicoot 2 came out in 1997, and it wasn't an ugly piece of shit like FFVII. My friend rented this game when it came out and we returned it after realizing what it actually was. Really one of the most overrated games of all time. But to say you like the gameplay is one thing. To say the graphics were good for the time is a flat out lie.

S U M M E R R E D D I T O R S

Simple colour schemes tend to hold up and look better. Cherrypick less faggot.

GUARANTEED REPLIES

I lived in 1997 as well, but I never had KB Toys in my area, and I assume that it would've been like 100/150 miles away from 8 year old me back in that year. Also, I only had one in 1999/2000/2001, years later, at a roadside sale in about 2013 or so, I got another Playstation. But no FF7, OG Crash Trilogy, and other great Playstation games. But I do have Theme Park and Mortal Kombat 4.

"one" being an OG Playstation

That's great because I didn't play it growing up and every time I boot it up I can't get beyond five minutes because of
ad infinitum. Boring as fuck game, shit is literally the hacking minigame in EYE. Go ahead and call me a baiting fag but a game that can't capture me in the most crucial moment is gonna just get thrown right back into the backlog.

Fuck you nigga, Fallout came out the same year and playing that shit was the greatest experience of my life and I've shot up heroin and gotten my dick sucked by a 15 year old girl.

you know i always thought cloud had hooves for hands because of those polygons

Aside from the field models, the graphics were good. The FMVs were top notch, the area backgrounds were beautiful and varied, the battle effects, models and enemy designs were good, the summons suitable spectacles. And the seamless transition between FMV and player control was unprecedented.

Don't try so hard to fit in.

No they weren't, they were some of the ugliest in the industry. Everybody looked like rockemsockem robots.
I also liked the ugly slum, the desert slum, the waterfront slum, and the massive industrial corporation. The only thing that was very different was the theme park.

grandpa detected

Is ff8 a good game?

why did that one get me so good

I played Space Harrier when it was new and it was mind blowing. Where's my 66 replies and 43 UIDs

Yes and no. No because the balance is shit (level scaling) and the gimmick can be easily broken and exploited, especially if you know what you're doing. If you pretend like that shit isn't there, you'll have a good time as long as you don't grind. Plot is fine, then turns retarded later on. Just as shit as any other FF game pre-X.

I was in college at the time and we got FF7 for the dorm, but only the Affirmative American who didn't have a PC played it much as the rest of us were still playing Quake with its much better graphics. Sorry, kiddo.

Degenerate, please.

Let me put it this way, FF8 is the one game I regret playing. It stands as the absolute worst game I have ever played, far and away bar none. I am sure there are worse games out there, but none of them require the amount of time spent to progress through them. Don't waste your time on this game. There really isn't a word to describe how boring it is, it doesn't even let you change the names of most of your party members despite there being no voice acting. The only way I can convey to you how bad FF8 is, is to say when they were in space floating around I came up with the perfect rename for it. "Final Fantasy: A Space Odyssey."

Here we go again.

Fire away