archlinux.org/news/required-update-to-pacman-501-before-2016-04-23/
archlinux.org/news/?page=2
linux.com/news/linus-fires-latest-shot-gnome-wars
mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00022.html
theregister.co.uk/2011/08/05/linus_slams_gnome_three/
plus.google.com/ LinusTorvalds/posts/UkoAaLDpF4i
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution
indiegames.com/2016/06/indiebox_a_dust_an_elysian_tai.html
store.theindiebox.com/collections/collectors-editions/products/dust-an-elysian-tail
play0ad.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Recs like what? More software? Games?

MAME and mednafen are breddy good.

Mark of the Ninja
has a good ganoo+loonix port
if the sound didn't fuck up twice but that might be on ALSA's end, but who knows?

but if you really care about freedom

hopefully someone ports serious sam

I'll enter the fray, with a request.

I honestly don't know much about Linux, my only contacts with it are some touch on Ubuntu derivatives (Ubuntu and Kubuntu) because they were used at work. However, my computer is growing old (a basic dual core with an old GPU that plainly refuses to play games like the Neptunia series), and I'm growing tired of Windows' bullshit, being actually on an unupdated 7.

So, the questions are

Thanks in advance.

I got bad news for you buddy…

You want to try a buncha distros so you get a feel for all the programs they come with. Use a virtual machine to speed this up. Find a desktop you like. Soon, you'll see that most distros aren't even truly different.

Emulator: Use retroarch

Audio and Video: MPV is good but buggier than you're used to. Just use the defaults for now I guess.

As for WINE, it's shit and will probably crash installing even old and supported games such as Morrowind unless you use the latest bleeding-edge version but you should try the normal way in case I'm wrong.

Doesn't really matter what distro you pick, because in the end it ends up being

so to put that in perspective

Xubuntu, Mint or even Manjaro is fine for most people.

Emulators depend on the backend they have. PPSSPP for example works with OpenGL, pretty sure many more also do (maybe even Vulkan)

Advantages might not be noticeable, but i feel like Linux is a much more cohesive (and secure) system: the filesystem is better (therefore your HDD/SSD won't be needlessly requested by the OS and will instead try to use RAM as efficiently as possibly) basically there's a ton of things going on behind the scenes to optimize resources.

Wine: It's not something that's guaranteed to work most of the time, though DX9 games should be functional. Still, give GPU Passthrough a try.

Video: MPV with your favorite frontend (by itself it only has an OSD, no full GUI)
Audio: Pretty much anything goes, in windows Foobar is king so try to get something similar to that.

I'm a new Ubuntu user, and so far, wine 1.08 (if I remeber correctly) Works pretty good
It play and installs Jazzpunk and Rome Total war neatly
Only help it need is AuotResizer for Jazzpunk I'm downloanding Skyrim now, will see, how that works.

Also, Wine installed AutoSizer (not AutoResizer, sorry), so it works for every exe so far for me without problems

Oh okay. Remember that regardless of the distribution installed, you can choose from many DEs (Desktop Environment), for example Ubuntu has Unity, while Xubuntu has XFCE, but there's nothing stopping you going from one to the other. Although if you're just getting started, it's better to take things easy and get into that kind of customization later on.

Native on linux but theres a huge barrier to entry.

Star Wars Galaxies works.

You can give lubuntu a try, basically lightweight Ubuntu with LXDE

If you need an autism simulator, give voxelands a try. It's essentially minecraft, forked from minetest before they cut a lot of content out.
Or just try minetest with one of the user made game modes.

Also dwarf fortress if your hardware can handle it.

Dwarf Fortress
A gem which can take a month to learn.
Be advised, even with graphical mods, you will have FUN.

ut2004, stalker and warband

go play barotrauma with me i have no friends in real life i just want to talk to people in my virtual submarine please send help

Anyone else use playdeb repositories for games?

If you're going to play Windows games, I would suggest installing Play on Linux. playonlinux.com/ It's basically a front end for Wine and allows management of Wine version, installed DLLs and components, and most importantly, it has scripts for installing many popular games.

For guessing if you favourite Windows game or app will work with Wine, you can check the Wine application database at Wine HQ appdb.winehq.org/

There are number of emulators that natively on Linux, like MAME.

I don't play Minecraft but I understand it's written in Java, so you'll be able to install a Java runtime and run the game with that. You'll have to web search for details.

For video I use SMPlayer, or VLC if I'm having trouble with that. No recommendations for audio, I use Banshee, but mainly because that's what Mint installs by default.

Just play games like you would do on any computer with Windows as the operating system.
Here is a good starting point to see if your games are compatible with Wine: appdb.winehq.org/

Is it even still Java since Microsoft took it over? There's also Minetest for the freedoms people.

yeah the latest java should run minecraft, but of course it has run like hard shit out of a calloused ass for the past 6 years, both minetest and voxelands have far surpassed it in terms of actual benchmark performance in my experience

microsoft isn't doing anything with it, they've just put more pressure on mojang to work on developing the mobile port which they ported to PC
hence why it runs so much better, it was a rewrite in C++ from the ground up done by one person
the win10 version is just the mobile version ported over, the java version exists but updates may just cease entirely after the battle update

Then you already started wrong. WINE it's just a fucking hack.
If you are going to run wangblows programs then just stay in wangblows.

From what I've seen, it's more like they're trying to push the java version out of focus, by bringing updates to the mobile version the java version doesn't have. Which is logical since Micro$hit gets money in the mobile version from things that are out of their control in java version (most notably skins, servers, and probably soon mods)

Rather not use a bad Os, but half the world uses it
And I want to play Windows only games too
Because Linux gaming is yet to be really big and enough
Also your argument with different OS:

Linux is pretty much a better kernel, and the entire ecosystem is much more configurable. In fact because of the later the distro doesn't matter much like said, just install Ubuntu and then remove/install the packages you need. If you don't like the default desktop you can install another one, you can even have multiple ones at the same time and switch to them on log in.
If you want to edge on the safe side install things without removing stuff. Removing too many things might end up breaking something because it either doesn't have an alternative installed or some dependency mumbo jumbo.
For Video you can simply install VLC, or MPV if you want something more lightweight, for Audio it really depends on your tastes, DeaDBeeF is good if you liked Foobar on Windows.

Well meme'd, just because something has a PE header and Windows syscalls doesn't make it special, it's all x86 software bro.

I used Winamp since years. Any recommendations ?

QMMP is the one that looks more like Winamp.

Once you grow accustomed to configuring your distro, I recommend getting open box and conky

How do I play Age of Empires II on Linux Mint?

I couldn't even find it to torrent :(

dariusburst chronicle saviors works fine,
only seems to slow down when you destroy a HUGE amount of enemies at the same time and during the boss intros.

touhou works, too

Try installing it with Play on Linux (it's listed in the supported games playonlinux.com/en/supported_apps-1-0.html ).

i live in emacs and terminals anymore
emacs has poker and tetris

Does Emacs have a text editor yet?:^)

If you like RPGs: gog.com/game/divinity_original_sin_enhanced_edition

Slackware if you have fond memories of using DOS. Gentoo if you do not.

Most emulators run natively on Linux, I think.

Look it up: appdb.winehq.org/

Also, Minecraft was written in Java, so it runs directly on Linux.

VideoLAN Classic works for me.

evil mode, with hybrid mode enabled, spacemacs for lyfe

So literally it's text editor is just a mode that emulates vim…

NeoVim has everything that Vim people use emacs for so I'd rather use that than install Stallman's second Operating System.

Yes. I use and love neovim. But if you're a fan of vim and autistic enough to care like i am I'd at least try spacemacs. I've found that evil mode emulates enough of vim to be efficient and the extra functionality of emacs is there as well. The key bindings in spacemacs are very easy to use and compliment the vim keys rather than conflict with them.

Unfortunately I haven't heard of any neovim graphical client equivalent to gvim, so it's limited to terminal mode, and drawing to a terminal is extremely slow which is a pain in the ass with any file over a thousand lines or so.

Xonotic. You don't have to VM or emulate.

It's an arena shooter that doesn't have a huge playerbase, but matches are organized here (usually for the weekends).

You don't have to be good; just have fun.

Xonotic, Endless Sky, 0 A.D. etc. are pretty damn good for Free software. There's also Pioneer spacesim, a modern remake of Elite, which is also really good.

Free graphics card drivers have also improved a lot in recent years and keeps improving, at least my Southern Island card works really well with mesa git sources and galliumnine patched wine from git. When Guilty Gear Xrd got released on Steam it was barely playable. Now only the train stage runs at sub 60fps (50-55fps typically) with high detail settings.

The only thing I miss from Windows is Space Engine but that is supposed to work in wine when using closed source drivers.

The difficulty of using those distros has been vastly overstated. I assume he is a computer literate and intelligent person, which is all you need to get a handle on those distros.

It's really just illiterate casuals who cannot into RTFM who will go nuts at that shit.

I agree, I switched from Kubuntu to hardened Funtoo when Kubuntu 14.10 refused to upgrade and it didn't take long to figure out how to use portage and set up a few config files with help from the gentoo and arch wikis.

I'd rather have a basic bitch linux distro that I have to configure a bit but am fully in control of and does just the things I want to do over some overengineered eyecandy distro that doesn't even tell me the reason why something that is supposed to work doesn't.

Most likely pulse actually. Modern pulse is a lot more buggy than modern alsa, although it still provides application multiplexing and alsa doesn't.

Manjaro or gentoo. Especially gentoo since it's extra-stable. Even on an old device, few packages will take too long to compile, especially with a proper make.conf. Don't forget to use -bin packages when possible.

Manjaro is like arch but stable, although the devs' competency is unproven. The main advantages are an easy install with a great installer, and the greatest selection of packages of any linux distro (i.e. same as arch).

Xonotic and wesnoth are very solid and native. Use playonlinux to manage wine, wine patches, wine versions, overrides, etc. more easily, but be aware that you'll need winetricks as well since playonlinux's install software function doesn't work in the same way and often doesn't download what you need or plain doesn't work.

Beside that, there's not much to say. Check out appdb.winehq.org to see which programs work and/or how to make them work.

On the topic of gentoo/funtoo configuration, you basically only need to configure it once, and then maintain it (i.e. fix package USE flags and version restrictions), which is basically automatic (with –autounmask-write, just run etc-update and apply the settings).

Be aware though that the longer you keep your system, the more likely the config becomes too intricate. At this point, trying to install or uninstall anything will be troublesome or impossible. You have to start from a fresh config to fix this. The time horizon is something like 5 years, though, so don't worry about it, especially if you're just starting out.

What distro is everyone using?

Gentoo on my main machine, manjaro on my laptop to see if it's worthy of replacing gentoo. Fuck arch, though, way too buggy. Broken X is not a meme, it's very real.

I wish i was using GNU/Linux again.

It's managable. There's another page in package.use with automatically set use flags from etc-update. I think if I weed out stale entries once in a while I won't have any problems. You're supposed to review emerge -p or -a output before upgrading anyway.

The only problem I had with xorg-server was some bug in mesa preventing it from starting, which was quickly remedied by applying a patch from the bugtracker. This is fixed now, hence the commented out local overlay.

forgot the picture

Can you ricers fuck off already? Linux is a piece of absolute horseshit on the desktop; it's fine on the sever. If you want to play video games, you get PCI passthrough going and a Windows VM. If you want something Unix based that isn't written by Pajeets and fucking works, use OSX.

Don't get me wrong though, Windows is an piece of shit too.

archive.is/lYPWm

Hopefully you people will be dealt with fast.

zachtronics games

bait: the post.

I've been distro-hopping, but right now I'm on Antergos. I was fooling around with Fedora and Opensuse, but the sound in QEMU/GPU passthrough was just awful and crackling in Opensuse, and iommu just refused to turn on in Fedora. Ironically, Arch-based distros are the only ones that seem to just werk without any issue when it comes to passthrough.

Yeah, arch-based tend to just-werk the best because of the massive amount of software and community involvement. The usual issue is that there is no proper stability checks upstream and the now-official old packages which are made available do not include a thorough enough list for most cases. As such, expect an update to completely destroy your system.

this meme needs to die. Linux hasn't been hard to use since the mid-90s, and unless you're running some obscure distro you're not going to have that many problems. Just run Mint/Fedora/Ubuntu with WINE for most stuff, VM a 7 box for the stuff that WINE can't handle.

Even my grandma can use Mint, and she's as computer illiterate as a monkey.

What's stopping you?

First timer Ubintu user because of pure neccessity (cracked win refuses to even boot on computer, no one can help in workplace)
Install Ubuntu, and I proceeded to understand everything so far with the help of a search engine. Don't be afraid, try it.

It's literally impossible to install ubuntu right now except with the default settings. The installer is not able to even undo the lvm partitioning scheme it creates itself, and every part of the installer crashes if you stay on them for too long. Additionally, if you change most of the settings, installation fails with a crash or an unending hang that is only visible in the logs.

you should be aware it potentially could, not expect it to happen, because it doesnt, and hasnt ever. the worst thing an update has done was switch to systemd and this was only negative because you had to learn it

i just installed xubuntu and lubuntu last night stop lying

Spotted the paid shill.

How long did it take you to learn and apply the >sudo apt-get/zypper in/pacman -s/emerge nameofthegame step?

you caught me

I actually used Antergos for a while before giving Opensuse and Fedora a try, and it never really broke on me. I thought I'd give Suse/Fedora since they're suppose to be more stable, but I didn't really notice a difference.

Yeah, nah, you can fuck RIGHT off.

I've been using Linux for 4, maybe, 5 years on a variety of hardware trying out all the major distributions including Gentoo, Arch and Ubuntu. I'm using Ubuntu currently. The hardware support is garbage. Drivers are garbage because most vendors don't give a rats ass about the small ass market share. The majority of software is garbage due to severe cases of "linux UI sydrone" or "open sores means implement your own features" syndrome. I wanted to get an EPUB reader earlier today and guess what? They're all fucking trash. They're all designed by people who don't use UIs. They don't have basic features. Now I understand this isn't the fault of the Linux devs. They put in a lot of hard work and the kernel, for the most part, if very good.

But so what if the kernel is good and the GNU core utils are (assuming you don't look at the source) good. You have a computer to use the software. The kernel and operating system can be as polished as you like, but it all comes back to the software.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to figure out why Xorg's been segfaulting and bringing down my desktop this week.

PS: Buy a fucking Mac if you intend to use remotely functioning software

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

More like "systemd fucks up in insane ways and devs are too stuck-up to fix their own shit." They also seem to get a power-tripping hardon from forcing others to adopt their shit and trying to make the linux kernel devs change the kernel to accommodate their latest bouts of insanity.

To be fair, I too have had sporadic problems with Ubuntu and Kubuntu setups since the 12.x days. Sometimes the setup would just segfault when dicking around in the partition settings.

gotta love Poettering and Sievert

Actually, boy, I'm not done with you.

RNG feature simulator. On a six sided die:
1 — The program won't start
2 — There are 3D related issues
3 — There are interface issues
4 — There are sound issues
5 — Some features flat out don't work
6 — It works as intended

WINE can't use the fucking bathroom without making an mess and you expect a VM to work. Unless you're talking about PCI passthrough, which for the /MOST/ part works but is a whole 'nother can of worms. Probably the most frustrating is getting audio out of the VM. If the kernel decides to do some scheduling on the VM (which unless you pull a gentoo and rice your kernel to disable that shit) the audio stream is probably going to block. And if the audio stream blocks, the whole program will fucking wait until it unblocks, which, mind you, usually won't happen. It'll just keep on stuttering.

Once again, in conclusion, computers awful.

I mean computers are awful, fuck.

Are you going to say your keyboard is awful, too?

Considering most cheap keyboards are really non-ergonomically shaped, yes. If you want to not have RSI by the time your twenty five, that'll be an extra few hundred dollars.

Speaking of keyboards, the QWERTY layout is trash anyhow. Fortunately that can be fixed by using an different layout but that takes time and the un-initiated can't use the keyboard.

Whats a good layout?

Dvorak or Colemak, Colemak being more suited to programming because of the placement of the symbols.

I am using colemak right now with a QWERTY keyboard and can confirm it is pretty good. Takes a few days to get used to though

OpenSUSE has had lots of stability issues in recent times and I've never heard anyone call fedora stable - it's not.

Really, gentoo is the only distro that I'd agree is stable, although I haven't tried slackware. Debian is absolutely not stable - even the base stable-only repos contain lots of conflicting and broken packages all the time. The only thing stable about debian is that things change slowly.

lmao why even bother

Wine Is Not an Emulator
W.I.N.E.

You're right, it's a buggy, unpolished and barely functioning reimplementation of the Win32 API.

Or, you know, play native games.

ubuntu MATE because of the similar look to windows

All five of them?

for what it is, its quite impressive. what exactly do you have trouble running? ive never had any problems running anything i wanted other than devil daggers

There are over 5000, excluding garage-like games, to be honest.

it is literally not an emulator, its a compatibility layer that allows you to run windows programs natively

Here are some recommendations. And if you find something great that's not there, by all means, add it!

vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Linux

Linux has more games than ps4, xbone and wiiu combined. Not that that's saying much

No thanks.

fork it

EXTREMETUXRACER

Fork you.

Kill me now

How the fuck did you screw up dax loader?

I like KDE better than GNOME.
come at me bullies

Who doesn't? Too bad plasma 5 is such a crapshoot.

Aww, that's cute.

How many of them were released after 2000 that aren't indie-trash?

I had to look it up now, that's how.
Father gave the CD

You mean modern AAA games only?

No ragrets

You should read Torvalds rage about GNOME.

Personally I prefer Fluxbox.

Gentoo with xmonad, despite the meme I think gentoo is one best distros. USE flags are love, USE flags are life. Also dual-booting with Funtoo, might stick with that if I like it better.

Fucking christ.

About 2000-3000 my dude, excluding emulated and wine games.

this wonderfully irrelevant thing
lol Mandrake nevr4get

Anyone managed to get Heritage for the Future working at playable framerates?

if you want game recs I'm playing mostly Warband, Dominions 4 and Skullgirls right now

I didn't think HftF had framerate issues. It works just fine for me on fightcade.

ebay.com/itm/GeForce-210-D512M-/272299706749

Do you mind if the games are closed source and proprietary?

If not then here's stuff with native ports I play on a pretty regular basis:

then I play these in a VM with GPU passthrough:

mint on the desktop, but I use Ubuntu on my laptop for the nice touchscreen UI.

Too bad nothing in morrowind looks anywhere near as good as in the concept art, Instead it's all brown and brown. It could have been so good on that front due to the alienness of the world.

While that's true to some extent I think it depends a lot on where you are in Vvardenfell. But I would love a mod that increases saturation on plants/creatures.

Arch Linux. Mostly because of the AUR.

Decisions are hard…

Portage has something similar with overlays.
Most of what you want is included in the main repos, anyway.

Also this is relevant.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Games

Yeah I probably wont miss out on much if I just give up the AUR, but it's been my little life saver for such a long time.

While that's true, the collection is nowhere near as good as arch's with AUR. Moreover, a lot of packages are simply permanently broken, such as 90% of the science repo which is literally incompatible with itself and where many packages simply won't install because the ebuilds contain commands that refer to nonexistent files.

Is there any reason these issues haven't been fixed yet?

Incompetence as far as I could tell. I filed bug reports months ago with directives to fix the issues, they fixed it for about 1 software version, then everything went broke again and I think they reverted everything.

Scientists make shitty programmers.

Check the store pages of Steam and GOG for native Linux games then pirate them. GOG versions are the easiest to find and have the best chance of working with WINE.

I respect Slackware for not budging from its traditions - and we need distros like this and Gentoo to resist the Red Hat faggotry - but I can't recommend it to a beginner or intermediate user. Maybe I was too used to specific pieces of software to enjoy the convenience of everything being handled by the Slackware ecosystem. My experience with Funtoo was a nightmare of flag updating and kernel/module rebuilding that I won't repeat any time soon. If I couldn't handle it, a beginner doesn't have a prayer.

Void Linux. It still feels like an unfinished version of Arch but at least I don't have to use Poetteringware.

It depends on what you want to get out of it. I've used Slackware since 2004, and I feel that it's given me a good handle on how to use Linux in general. What's happened, though, is that over time each of the more popular distros became more and more specialized. I can do a little bit in the Ubuntu ecosystem, but so much of what happens in it is specific to Ubuntu, most notably the package manager (aptitude), the window manager (Wayland) and even the init system (systemd). Learning Slackware gives you a good base, but if you're looking for practical then going to Ubuntu is probably better.

Not sure if it is the right thread to ask this (I don't think there is any right thread to ask this), but I just released my new Linux port for my programming puzzle game with nanomachines, and I would like to know if it works well on your configs (or not).
Vid related is the trailer. URL below is a direct download to the Linux version:
godisacube.com/latest_linux

What about supporting devs who work their ass out to port their games on Linux before launch?

There are a few Linux specific issues I still need to identify.
- Bug 1: all fonts are invisible, you just see empty buttons
- Bug 2: the game asks to be flagged as an executable
- Bug 3: you just see a black window at launch, and the game crashes
Please tell me if you encounter any of these bugs, with your current specs / distrib.

Whatever dude, enjoy your shitty maintainer politics. I'll be over here away from lennart OS.

Manjaro OpenRC with MATE.

That's the official name, dumbass. It's not an emulator, it's a compatibility layer.

It's worked fine for me.

You can use OpenRC on Arch and Manjaro. There's install discs that let you start a fresh install with it too, that's what I used.

(waste of digits)

Why are Windowsfags always so salty over people using Linux?

MINETEST

it's like minecraft before it went to shit

I don't think this really counts as a bug.
Even bash scripts need to be marked as an executable, I would say look into how installation scripts work. Arch wiki probably can explain it.
I'll test this later when I have time, you got a bug report page?

minetest default textures are awful, and also the modding community for it is near death before it even breathed life I spent a week trying to enjoy it, it needs more mods, or at least a few decent ones

Text was invisible when it prompted for a name. It still accepts the input, just doesn't show any sign of it. If it uses a specific font, there's a good chance I don't have it installed.
Didn't get any of the other bugs you listed, but I didn't look any deeper than the tutorial level.

Specs:
Gentoo with kernel version 4.6.3
i5 6600
r9 270

You're exactly the kind of person who should use Slackware. I don't think it's good to start now since it's so different compared to others.

To be honest, the guys who were reporting it seemed to imply it was a problem, but didn't say if it was usual or not.

Not really, people usually don't bother coming back later. Here is my email in case this thread is no longer up: contact (at) godisacube (dot) com .

So the text was invisible only for the text input area? Other text were ok (such as buttons)?
I tried something to correct this bug, but maybe it didn't work for input boxes.

See pic related.

Ok. So I think I only corrected the bug partially, I will look into it.

I can also see there is a "#103 something", the number shouldn't appear. I will correct that too.

Thanks for your feedback.

Even though I've selected a name, this is how text box displays when loading.

Every resolution which I need to scroll (scrolling does'nt work I need to click the arrow) to select won't get set after i press ok.

ChromeOS
In my defense, I just had to restore back after the SSD pissed itself because I don't have a script to auto shutdown at 3% battery. I was using some form of Mint prior to that for a quick install and set up, and I'm interested in getting Arch or similar if I can.

Man, I switched to i3 after being a casual floating WM user and holy shit it's so much more convenient to have different workspaces setup and switch between them with a keystroke.

Thats not tilling exclusive.

xdg-app/Flatpak NEVER EVER
Wayland NEVER EVER

Maybe you should have read my other posts, I'm a Linux user.

I recommend you not use Linux if vidya is your primary PC concern.

I don't remember this. esr had a bitchfit about it too though.

OpenMW is GPL. The only proprietary required is if the OpenMW installer doesn't apply patches correctly and you have to run the installer in Wine or something.

Linuxfags here are always shilling linux and quick to call windows a shit and attack people that just happens to post about them using with with no intention of shilling but like when asking a tech question.
Meamwhile windows fags most likly don't give af about your favorite distro or what u do with it.
But yeah windowsfags are the salty ones sure

Windowsfags deserve to be shit on. They know they are slaves to Microsoft and proprietary software yet continually bend over and take it up the ass because they are too lazy or stupid to change it. You don't get to defend yourself when you do that, the least you could do is have the dignity to accept the shit we give you and not try to insult your betters.

Windows is shit, though. That's a well known fact, and you don't need to use GNU+Linux to know this.

Still, GNU+Linux is not meant for gaming and anyone who shills it as a gaming platform is pretty dumb.

Can't hear you over the sound of all these games

It doesn't look that bad anymore.

AppImages already work and the only thing holding up Wayland is Nvidia.

What mods?

Minetest TNG.

Slackware was my first distro, and I really like it. Didn't have any problems.

Also Slackware has actually installed fucking pulseaudio in 14.1. BlueZ 5.x dropped ALSA support and software was dropping BlueZ 4.x support. Ugh. alien.slackbook.org/blog/pulseaudio-comes-to-slackware-current-beta/

Personally I don't use bluetooth so I stay away from that shit.

I didn't program a true scroll bar, so the only way to see the other resolutions is to use the little arrows.
But the "resolution is not set" seems like a bug. Does it happen both in Windowed and fullscreen mode?

I was wrong it just happens for 1920x1080 but yes in windowed and fullscreen mode.

So you can change to any resolution (let's say 640x480), but when you try to change the resolution to 1920x1080, the resolution doesn't change (and stays to 640x480), that's right?

Yes, made a video for you.

Audacious will still let you use ancient Winamp 2.x skins, it's what I use

Debian with an installer for stupid people

fuck off grandpa, we have things like the internet now. We don't need 6 CDs packaged up every X years

fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/

it's cool if you're fine with your system not booting after package updates on a regular basis

why not just hit yourself in the dick with a hammer?

Replacing Windows with Linux is a meme. They're not the same thing. A proper linux desktop is basically a web browser, mplayer and a fuckton of terminal windows. Play games that support Linux, which is surprisingly common these days.

>Play Sims 3 for the porn

It's not, but not having to mess with proportions and placement of my windows on top of that is great. Do any of the *box WM have bindable shortcuts to switch workspaces? I was fairly certain even bbkeys didn't have that for blackbox. I suppose I could have attempted to fork and add it in myself.

system wide gcc ricing is to gentoo what all these shitty system optimization programs are to windows; it's for people who spend their time on forums accumulating 10k+ posts and parading their ricer settings in their forum signature

and a proper linux desktop is whatever the user wants it to be

I tought ctrl + alt + ARROWKEY was the default shortcut for switching workplaces in many windows managers (openbox, cinnamon, xfce4?).
At least that is what I used.
After testing awesom I remappe it to super (windows) + ARROWKEY or 1-9 in openbox because that was the only thing (besides super + enter to spawn a terminal) I felt was better about awesome in comparisson to my setup.

Thanks for the video. I will check my code, and add this to my list of suspected Linux specific issues for further investigation (to check all resolutions on other Linux computers).

What a special snowflake!

All i have to do to play is just install the game while linux users are forced spend time configuring WINE and deal with crashes and bugs. Why would I be salty over not having to do that?

Show me a way of playing video games on Linux that is equal or superior to Windows and I'll gladly switch. If your system is truly superior you should have no problem doing that :^)

Did you mean: systemd+Linux

Are you retarded?

Sure, you just-
Oh, you're just baiting. Nevermind.

Everyone in this thread.

m'nonymous

Yes, +. It is GNU with Linux added on.

Just like I do with PlayOnLinux.

There's still free distros, user.

From an end user point of view there's no difference between an emulator and a compatibility layer, the purpose and the end effect is identical. Not to mention that no one outside the WINE community seems to use the term "compatibility layer", everyone just says "emulator".

Maybe if you'd actually could play video games on your OS you wouldn't care that much but since you decided to deflect instead of proving me wrong I take it as confirmation that Linux is nowhere near Windows in terms of vidya and that bothering with it has no actual benefits.

Never understood this meme. After using Arch for years, the only problem I've ever encountered multiple times was not being able to update if I waited too long between updates. It takes like a minute or two to fix, and only happens if you don't update for a few months.

is there a way to install wine in only one account? or to disable it on another?

Yes. But why?
Depending on the answer I could help.
Probably but it would be really messy.

Cave Story
Quake
FTL
Doom

SELinux.
It's a module that lets you configure access policies for everything.

Wine is malware compatible
just recently I got a cryptominer for downloading black flag
luckily I only needed to delete the .wine folder but it can always be worse and I don`t want to risk it with my main account

will try when I get home

I got Mint on an SSD for when I feel it's right to make the switch. Anyway to make it completely mimic W7's or XP's aesthetics? How hard is getting GPU passthrough to work for Mint and a GTX 960? Is it worth it with? Will my somewhat subpar CPU bottleneckit?

Of course you can mimic wangblows, but why would you do that when you can have a far lighter and faster interface via openbox, fvwm, i3, awesome, or others?

I don't know why you'd want to do such a disgusting thing, but if you insist…

Mint's DE is infinitely better than Windows garbage though.

as I understand it, pci passthrough relies on both the gpu and motherboard
the motherboard has to support pci passthrough, and apparently the gpu needs to as well as was revealed that some nvidia card was made incompatible, and the only way to make it work was with a hardware hack

Just use wine whit another user. There is no need to hinder your main account to be able to start wine. if you use pulseaudio:

write in your main users ~/.config/pulse/default.pa
.include /etc/pulse/default.pa

load-module module-native-protocol-unix auth-group-enable=1 auth-group=GROUPNAME socket=/tmp/SOCKETNAME

and in your second users ~/.config/pulse/client.conf
.include /etc/pulse/client.conf

default-server = unix:/tmp/SOCKETNAME

add the second user to GROUPNAME

then in your main users account execute
xhost local: or just xhost +
and restart pulseaudio
pulseaudio -k

And you can run any graphical application under another by doing:
su SECONDUSER (use sudo su if you have no password set)
RUNAPPLICATION (e.g.: wine suspiciousthing.exe)

SELinux is not needed for simple rights management.

SELinux looks a lot simpler than that.

Having to update one package manually is not "your system failing to boot".

Why are you quoting this?

a system failing to boot after a package update, regardless of length of time between updates, is a critical failure for a distro.

I used arch for years, years ago and it was a very common situation that a very typical update would put a system into a completely unbootable state. It was very normal to visit the arch news page and see instructions for how to repair your broken installation.

This is utterly unacceptable to anyone that is not a Gentoo-tier hobbyist ricer.

holy shit look at this they're intentionally creating scenarios that will break systems, they really don't give a fuck: archlinux.org/news/required-update-to-pacman-501-before-2016-04-23/

These aren't new problems. I've updated Debian servers that haven't been updated in _YEARS_ and that have been online for _YEARS_ and they're completely fucking fine.

Even then it's unacceptable, which is why, despite my using Arch, I never recommend it to anybody under any circumstances.
I've gone through the gauntlet because of not checking the Arch news feed to see if something catastrophic was going to happen with the next update.
My "'favorite was probably when they decided to change the naming conventions for network devices, so all of a sudden eth0 didn't fucking exist any more, and I had to boot a livecd to browse the forum to figure out how to fix all the configs that previously used eth0 as the network device, so that they would now use enp3s0''' because that is so fucking short and easy to remember.
Gentoo did the same thing, which I am mildly less annoyed by, since their handbook explains everything.
It's one thing to warn users about the fact that "partial upgrades" may break the system, but to require users to constantly check the Arch site for news or subscribe to the RSS feed to make sure their benign update wont turn into a malignant one, is bullshit. At least emerge has a news feed built in.

Debian is stable, that's why.

Okay…? How is this relevant to what I said?

Never experienced this.

Enjoy your decade-old software.

When I use Debian as a desktop I'm on sid/experimental, still fine

That said for servers I actually use Ubuntu LTS because their stable branch has a more reasonable selection of versions.

are you stupid?

spotted the Arch noob

spotted the Linux noob

I guess so. Please teach me how it's relevant in any way.

seems pretty straight forward to me

I don't think you have very good reading comprehension if this is how you seriously think the conversation went. Maybe you should back and read it again. Specifically the part where you start going on about systems not booting as if I said my system wouldn't boot.

so what you're saying is that you're stupid?

Except you didn't.

Just to put this to rest, here's some objective information for you.

>archlinux.org/news/?page=2

Unacceptable by any metric. Not to mention how Arch just loves shitting out new configuration files everywhere without the slightest attempt at checking if the old configs are just defaults.

That's about how it went.

I think we're done here

You're both autists.

Does anybody have one of the lists of games that were made in the open source gaming threads before they died?

Sabayon.

It's Gentoo without the suck.

Emulators need a lot more resources though.

No, I really did think you were just baiting when you said the part about systemd.

You don't have to uninstall Windows to use Linux. Just use Linux for games that work on Linux and Windows for games that don't. Then you have a decent operating system for actually getting work done and shitty spyware for playing games on. I'd say about 75% of Windows games work in WINE. I keep a copy of Windows on an external drive and the last time I plugged it in was for the NuDoom demo.

You do use your computer for more than just vidya, right? If you seriously don't have any other use for your computer then yes, it is better to use Windows. until you reach 5th grade :^)

I've achieved VFIO (gpu passthrough), and using it for 4 months, I concluded it is not worth it. Nvidia has fought me every step of the way. I had to surrender a video card, a mouse, a keyboard, a harddrive and a monitor (port) to a guest. In addition, I still had to wait for windows to boot and the harddrive read and write speed was lowered.

However, VFIO might be cool if you ran multiple guests simultaneously with multiple people playing on the same box.

Today, I recommend a modern AMD graphics card, ensure you have Direct3D enabled on your mesa stack, and use wine for windows games. This is the most modern painless way (which I use lightly, since wine bottle configurations can be painful in some rare circumstances). Hell, even dual-booting is still a valid option over VFIO.

I'm using Gentoo. I don't rice, I want more control over my packages.

Has anyone experience whit grsecurity?

I want to test it but have to disable: CONFIG_PAX_KERNEXEC, CONFIG_PAX_MEMORY_UDEREF and CONFIG_PAX_RAP
for virtualbox and nvidia. Is it even worth then?
Also any recommandations for managing the patched kernel? I'm under arch linux.

Hating on GNOME for being developed by retards who think they know better than you what you want and it being a hard to rice sack of shit is a pretty popular thing

linux.com/news/linus-fires-latest-shot-gnome-wars
mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00022.html
theregister.co.uk/2011/08/05/linus_slams_gnome_three/
plus.google.com/ LinusTorvalds/posts/UkoAaLDpF4i

For a general "home" computer, it is not worth it. You have to understand the mindset behind grsecurity, and that is "anything could be potentially hostile". You will have to often flag binaries out-of-tree as acceptable, because the PAX feature will prevent executions from the stack, which stops JIT (a performance feature) and trampolines. Grsecuirty is meant for an internet facing computer that is mostly static.

The probability of being pwned by something Grsecurity prevents is next to zero if the computer is not internet facing. (That is not a computer connected to the internet without ports and traffic being forwarded.)

If you have to have nvidia proprietary drivers, then don't do it.

Which are some great portable Linux distros I could install with GRUB2, and make bootable OS with games with OpenGL or Vulkan: plan to ship games with live distros and genuine games, signed.

So far I have: knoppix, Puppy Linux, Lightweight Portable Security, Parabola, CRUX, Tiny Core Linux, etc.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

Basically, I want to replicate this with Linux:
indiegames.com/2016/06/indiebox_a_dust_an_elysian_tai.html
store.theindiebox.com/collections/collectors-editions/products/dust-an-elysian-tail

But imagine bootable on nearly all machines, and GRUB2 to select OSes like portable Windows XP, or whatever replaces it.

linux gaming is a meme

euro truck simulator 2 is pretty good

Yes, because is true.

Because that would be dumb as fuck
I've played E.Y.E., Diablo 2, Fallout 1 & 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Kero Blaster and many more games with WINE on Linux Mint without any problems whatsoever. The only games I've had problems with have been old doujins and games made with multimedia fusion.

(checked)
Existence is a meme

Why do flags even stick around
That one is from a fucking month ago

I corrected the invisible font bug. The Linux builds need to have extra references in order to work. And there was indeed a missing font reference in the Input Text Field (contrary to the labels and buttons who have a slightly different style).

You should now see the font.
Here is the download link:
godisacube.com/latest_linux

If you want to transfer your save, you can either use the "Save Import / Export" on the title screen between your old game and your new game, or copy paste the file "GiaC-DataBase.sqlite" from your old folder to your new folder.

Please tell me if you still have the bug.

Frogatto.

Tesseract, OP.
It's Linux-targeted FLOSS, and it's sick as fuck if you're into arena shooters.

If you're stupid, Xubuntu. If you're less stupid than most, Antergos.
If you want massive nerdcred, Gentoo or LFS.
The Linux kernel is better optimized for daily use. It's easier to install software once you get used to how package managers work.
There is no reason to use Wine with emulators. Basically every console that has an emulator has a Linux emulator, and probably an exclusive one.
However, wine will work with basically any emulator. It'll probably work with Binding of Isaac, but I haven't tried.
Why would you use wine for Minecraft? It's a jar file. It runs on Linux already.
Your distro will come with those by default, and by default they're not shitty ones. Just double click on the file.
I like mplayer, but a lot of distros come with VLC by default, and a lot of people like that.

Xorg breaks. A lot.

I never had any problems.
last command says: wtmp begins Wed Dec 2 21:11:34 2015
So my installation isn't that old. But still.

Didn't mint get uploaded to a virus by hackers?

Somebody hijacked the download link, it could happen to pretty much anything. If you used the checksum you would have been fine.
that sounds like something somebody on CSI would say.

Yeah, it did.
Mint has a history with terrible security and overall incompetence from the maintainers. It should really be avoided.

So the virus got infestet by mint? Poor virus!

Including you?

GUESS WHAT GAME IS GETTING A LINUX PORT
AND AN UPDATE

(it's undertale)

AMD ought to make linux Natively compatible with windows games

(repostan)
Has anyone played those freetard MMOs like Planeshift and/or Ryzom? How were they? Are they at least better than WoW?

source pls
this sounds dumb

Doesn't Retroarch/libreteo have its own Linux OS now?

bump

also there seriously needs to be some pasta for starting linux threads with the most notable games

There's 0 A.D. if you like Age of Empires.

play0ad.com/

Fightcade, now your life is complete

If you're not programming and you use Linux, you're a retard.

how do i reinstall Microsoft .NET packages?

Yes, it's called Lakka, and based on OpenElec. It was made to focus all the performance of the device into the emulation. I've seen some good results on SCBs. You could get CPS3 emulation on 40USD boards, so that's noice.

Anyone have any luck with removing mouse acceleration in Ubuntu? Google search results haven't provided anything that works.