White US Veteran farmer banned from City-operated farmer's market for posting pro-familyt wrongthink

This Farmer Won’t Host Same-Sex Weddings at His Orchard. Now a City Has Banned Him From Its Farmers Market.

A farmers market and Facebook posts have opened a new front in courtroom battles over religious freedom

Source The Daily Signal
archive.fo/Fkeub
dailysignal.com/2017/05/31/this-farmer-wont-host-same-sex-weddings-on-his-orchard-now-a-city-has-banned-him-from-the-farmers-market/

See Also
archive.is/Z4sjj
adflegal.org/detailspages/press-release-details/farmer-wants-to-sell-food-to-all-people-but-east-lansing-won-t-let-him

Author Fred Lucas, White House correspondent

It started when Steve Tennes, who owns a 120-acre farm in Charlotte, Michigan, expressed his traditional view about marriage on the farm’s Facebook page. This drew a warning from an official more than 20 miles away in East Lansing, Michigan, that if Tennes tried to sell his fruit at the city’s farmers market, it could incite protests.

No one showed up to protest that August day last summer, though, and Tennes continued selling organic apples, peaches, cherries, and pumpkins at the seasonal market until October, as he had done the six previous years. Nevertheless, East Lansing moved earlier this year to ban Tennes’ farm, the Country Mill, from participating in the farmers market when it resumes June 4. The city cited its human relations ordinance, an anti-discrimination law that includes sexual orientation.

So Tennes and his wife sued the city for religious discrimination.

As a Marine veteran who is married to an Army veteran, Tennes told The Daily Signal, this was consistent with his philosophy of defending freedom:

Alliance Defending Freedom, a Christian legal aid organization, is representing the Tenneses.

adflegal.org/detailspages/blog-details/allianceedge/2017/06/02/when-diversity-does-not-include-bible-believing-christians

East Lansing Mayor Mark Meadows told the Lansing State Journal that the city’s decision to exclude Country Mill—also known as Country Mill Orchard—from the farmers market had nothing to do with religious beliefs, but with the farm’s “business decision” not to host same-sex weddings.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday with the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan, says of Steve and Bridget Tennes’ perspective, in part:

> Plaintiffs support the rights of citizens and other businesses to express their views about marriage. Plaintiffs simply seek to enjoy the same freedom.

Country Mill hosts a corn maze, birthday parties, weddings, and other events.

Pictured: (1), (2) The Tennes Family; (3) Kate Anderson, ADF Counsel

Other urls found in this thread:

facebook.com/thecountrymill/photos/a.111180198917998.6344.111072645595420/1079728825396459/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In 2014, two lesbians sought to be married in a wedding ceremony at Country Mill, but Tennes turned them down.

This occurred before the 2015 Supreme Court ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges, which legalized same-sex marriage across the country.

According to his legal complaint, Tennes had a “civil” discussion with the women, and said his venue didn’t host same-sex weddings because of his religious beliefs. But he referred the women to an orchard that held same-sex weddings.

In 2015, the two women were married at another orchard. On Aug. 22, 2016, one of them wrote a Facebook post discouraging consumers from doing business with Country Mill.

In response, Tennes initially said the farm would cease holding any weddings, writing on Facebook:

facebook.com/thecountrymill/photos/a.111180198917998.6344.111072645595420/1079728825396459/

After this post, the East Lansing official asked Tennes not to sell produce at the market, saying he feared protests.

Tennes did anyway, and no protest occurred=

In December, Tennes announced on Facebook that Country Mill would resume holding weddings:

East Lansing city officials determined that these public statements violated the city’s 1972 human relations ordinance prohibiting discrimination. That law was the first in the state to recognize sexual orientation as a protected class from discrimination.

But this brought up a jurisdictional issue on top of First Amendment concerns, the farmer’s lawsuit says.

East Lansing, the complaint says, “has no authority to enforce its ordinance based on Tennes’ religious beliefs and their impact on how he operates Country Mill.” The farm, it says, is 22 miles outside the city.

The lawsuit also notes that the city has not taken action against a vendor that promoted same-sex marriage.

In March, East Lansing sent Tennes a letter denying Country Mill’s application to be a vendor at the 2017 farmers market:

“As such,” the letter reads, “Country Mill’s presence as a vendor is prohibited.”

Pictured: (1), (2) The Tennes Family; (3) Kate Anderson, ADF Counsel

Bump

Not very surprised that city is the third most liberal city in Michigan

Im not even a christfag and this pissed me off. Your a business you can do what you want, this shit needs to go.

MIfag here

Lansing, Flint, Detroit, Ann Arbor, and Saginaw need to be wiped off the face of the earth.

t.Saginaw

I wonder what the nationality is of that 3rd beast.

White and traditional Christians are the kike's main target. Anything that stops these good people from having a prosperous and healthy life with lots of children, they will do it.

This is politically motivated harassment and religious discrimination against this farmer. He should be able to sue the piece od shit for damages to his livlihood. cunt should also be flayed alive, doused in gasoline, and lit on fire just before death.

It's a long standing principle across the nation that any business which accepts state or federal funds cannot discriminate based on the standard bullshit categories. All this publicity whore needs to do is separate the business into the orchard apart from the events. It's not that fucking hard to figure out.

They pay the state, the state isn't a customer at a farmers market.

You don't need to be a christfag for it to piss you off. Homosexuality is easily observable to be anti-nature and cannot be rationally supported from a rationalist/pantheist viewpoint. I don't have anything against Christians, but I do wish more of them would just come out and say "homosexuality is morally wrong" rather than the whole "it's my religious freedom and this is what the bible says" type of pandering.

At least the Southern Baptists down here still call out the fags for their sin, and encourage faggot teens to get help before Pence zaps them

Nice try. However normalfags will never think in terms of Pagan and Christians and this "friendship" only exists online and is pushed by Christians and uncertain people scared of discussion. There is no consensus except that we experience the same problems, and an adult is able to hold two thoughts at the same time (we agree to disagree, and infighting is stupid). There would be no need for d&c shitposting if people stopped posting shit like you do, and people would not have to reply. Not going to let anyone exploit the happenings in this way.

They're a fucking orchard. Tell me they aren't sucking that sweet farmer subsidy teat. Also my point about separating business entities without the need to attention whore still stands. Thus is all just free advertising for Farmer Leech.

Look at how fucking gorgeous his family is. Fuck, all of his kids are blonde. You know this man doesn't have any margin for error when under the scrutiny of the hook-nose.

Reported and you should be banned.

Grow up, loser.

Please stop while you're behind.

Agreed

t.Lansing

Steve needs Mike Pence's phone number.

Also,

Fuck off.

Do business owners in Dearborn MI get banned from trading for not hosting pig roasts on their premises?

He got exactly what he fought for whether he realizes it or not.

First article in a search for "orchard farmer subsidies".
http:// www.eagletribune.com/news/cash-crops-from-apples-to-oranges-farm-subsidies-put-millions/article_37a0d17f-8558-5135-befc-6c65d502e5be.html
Shill elsewhere niggerfarmerfaggots.

Not in my state. The closest thing is subsidies for crop insurance which is mandatory and forced on farmers here by state law. There's a reason large corporations are becoming a larger part of the market share.

Not only is the farm not in city limits, but it does not even fall within the same county. Be honest with yourself. The city council sat smugly for a while, expecting protestors to run him off. When they goyim didn't do what they wanted, they had a fit and banned him. Be honest and admit that you're an apologist for the commie city council pushing faggotry on a productive white family, kike.

I third this motion.
T. Traverse City.

I've seen another one of these cartoons recently. Where are they from?

And the problem with this is what, again? Assuming he even is getting subsidies? Are you a nigger or something?

Those are old Playboy 'toons

Fucking nice place user. I hope it doesn't turn into a liberal cesspool that's packed to the brim with chinks and other undesirables.

But then again, I haven't been there in years so I don't know if it's another Ann Arbor or not.

TBH all fag enablers need to be given ten lashes in the public square. Brand "FE" on their forehead on the second count. Third count is death.

Mianon here. I am about 2 hours from Charlotte, and have relatives there. Wouldn't mind stopping by and buying some of this guys produce to show support.

Fourthed

If you go to any farmers market here in MI 90% of the customer base are SJW bernie groupies.
I help my cousin sell at Eastern Market in Detroit and I can spot them a mile away, face tattoos, ring through the nose, etc, that and old ass hippy boomers.

Here is the lesson ladies and gentlemen….
NEVER
NEVER
NEVER
say "WHY" you turned someone down.

This is why you don't get a response to your resumes.
This is why you don't get a response to your applications.
This is why you don't get a response to your letters of complaint.

Had this family knew this, they could decline service…. BUT KEEP YOUR FUCKING MOUTH SHUT!

The real lesson to understand is when you aren't part of the 'good ol boys' club, it's not so good.

If only I wasn't concerned about my life, I'd put up a sign that says that and gather every person who supports it around me and blow myself up.

Does anyone have the video of the parading commies getting blown up by a Muslim?

what is 'fe'? feels?

covfefe

As a veteran, this hits close to home - and it hurts.

The best thing we can do is make sure all the vets, the white males, who keep killing themselves - make sure it's suicide by Fed after taking out every Holohoax museum, Synagogue and State Dept building they can fit into their schedule.

Here's to hoping all three of them get raped and killed. That one moment made their entire lives worthless. Disgusting sub-humans.

what is 'fe'?

fag-enabler detected

IT ALL COMES TUMBLING DOWN
IT ALL RETURNS TO NOTHING

They wouldn't pull this shit if he was a mudslime.

That is correct brother.

That is sad. They fought for their and their reward is this.

ftfy

what a load of shit

You missed Kalamazoo

And this is why allowing the city to operate the Farmer's Market was a mistake. At the risk of sounding like a lolberg, if this was a joint shared venue between the farmers who participate in the market, this would not be an issue. Nobody would care what some puffed up county official has to say about "concerns and liabilities."

Oh man, some obese concern troll SJW who lives an hour's drive from here thinks we shouldn't do a thing because somebody might protest it. Better call the cops and turn ourselves in, lads.

Some things must be regulated by the government or the state for the benefit of society. But there is no practical reason or purpose for them to have a say in a Farmer's Market. I guarantee you, the market started out in the hands of the farmers, but shitlibs officials pushed it under the state umbrella, likely because it would let them extract more taxes from the venue.

someone should find a Muslim cake shop and ask for a wedding cake for the marriage a gay jew and a gay Muslim in that city.

see what happens and complain to the media.

Wew I'm safe
t. Benton Harbor

It kills me that people don't understand the strategic importance of CROPS. Sure thing it's cheaper to import grain from the third world. It also makes your nation dependent if you rely on it. Of course local farmers in the first world need subsidies to be competitive. But during a blockade all the gold in the world won't buy you enough bread to survive.

Can anyone explain to economic retard why isn't it more viable to block grain[product] import than to give out subsidies?

I mean, it would be more expensive, sure, but local populace would be forced to buy local (more expensive) and there would be no need for subsidies? It works somehow in my mind.

Yep, that man did right. Every Holla Forumsack should inspire raising a family to these similar standards.

I hope he wins the case
Really how can he lose? This is religious discrimination.

I salute the suicide bomber who did that, for once they killed people who deserved death. The only good commie…..is a dead one.

Doesn't work out.
Here is how it goes.

Etc.

…with other subsidized farmers.

Honestly that sounds like a much better idea. If the locals can't afford it, well, food stamps are already a thing. That said, I prefer stockpiling if you're really still worried about trade disruptions.

Related, transport is highly subsidized. For example trains have to pay for the rails they use but trucks don't have to pay for the roads they use. There would naturally be a whole lot more more local eating if you had to pay the transport prices at the grocery store instead of at the gas pump and DMV.

Good luck with blockading an entire major country.

Is it a hostile third party blockading or the country selling the food?
The food-selling economy is almost as dependent as yours is. They will get starvation too, because the blockade will cause massive unemployment and the shock will bugger their price system, and they have to prevent the rest of the world from trying to exploit the suddenly high prices.

If it's a third party, they necessarily piss off two countries, inviting a 1v2. It's not clear that importing food is dangerous unless your country is already too weak to defend itself.

seems like the city is doing the same thing they chastised farmer Tennes for doing; only the city is a public entity, unlike his farm.

please fix the onion site, I'd prefer my ISP be unaware of my hateposting wrongthink

He should have started a private club.

The (((commerce clause))) under Wickard.

That's what happens when you become slaves on a fake boat.

Even dead commies are still pieces of cat shit. There are no good commies even in death

Oh, we are VERY aware of your doings, Derek.

50 years is not that long. The majority of the American government for the majority of the existence of America did not support this kind of shit.

It's one piece of shit faggot in local government abusing their power.

I see you're new to commie poker. A pair of fags trump a family flush.