Has anyone here played this?

Has anyone here played this?
Is it worth a pirate?

I couldn't stomach it for more than an hour. It really drags.
Unless you are into story more than actually playing. Then you'll love it

So, not a lot of gameplay? Eh, I think I'll pass.

Don't buy the meme, the gameplay's fine. It starts out simple but expands quite a bit as you level up skills. If you really want to get a lot out of gameplay, just play it on hard mode and see how much you have to pull off. Plus the sequel gets much more nuanced there.

Banner Saga's one of my favourite series right now. Writing's interesting and is one of the rare cases of modern vidya actually pulling off choice/consequence successfully, aesthetics are solid, it's at least worth a pirate if not a buy. Go try it, user

I thought it was worth a pirate.
I would go farther and say it's even worth a buy.

It's not worth a buy because is too fucking short. I'm not paying more than 2 euroshekels for 6-7 hours of gameplay, and last time I checked it was around 20.
Also the story goes in chapters, so you're forced to buy the next one if you wanna know how the story goes on.

Other than that it's pretty neat, you should definitely pirate it Op.

It's pretty bad.

How's the sequel? I got it for free on Xbox.

The gameplay is really bad. The reason for this is that it's counter-intuitive: divide and conquer is the worst strategy to use. You're actually better off NOT killing any enemies and instead weakening them all and then kill all the weakened enemies in one fell sweep.

Story is choose-your-own-adventure style where you're basically given the middle finger if you make "the wrong choice" even though there's absolutely no indication of what the right and wrong choices are. It frustrated me even more than the gameplay.

The presentation is amazing though, everything about the looks and feel of the game is great.

Overall, would not recommend buying, but maybe a pirate if you're really into tactical games.

Story is okay. Gameplay fucking sucks.

Some mechanics are stupid easy to abuse, like fatally injuring enemies without dealing the finishing blow comes to mind:
When the enemy turn starts, they waste the action moving a character that can only move a useless amount of tiles (because you left it injured) making the game not a strategic experience, but a game about twisting the "game mechanics" beyond any sense.

Pirated it, played it, dropped it like a baby.

I enjoyed it. The combat is a bit simplistic and counter-intuitive, as some have said, but it's OK and the PC has a real dearth of good turn-based-strategy games. There is some depth to it, too, esp. if you play on harder difficulties.

The storytelling/worldbuilding is good. It's also quite mature, in the sense that it doesn't fall into any 'the world is ending and YOU are its ONLY SAVIOUR' tropes. Instead it's kind of like the Witcher, among others, in that you witness only a small part of the action as it concerns your characters in a larger world, and it allows you to kind of draw inferences about the world from the bits and pieces you pick up. I don't know about other people but I enjoy that particular style of storytelling.
The choices/roleplaying aspect is OK but could use some improvement. There are some choices that lead to different and interesting divergent story paths, but there are also a fair few others that are just a binary good choice or bad choice, with zero indication of which is which (so it's pretty much complete luck). Personally I think this actually ties well into the themes of the game (re; small player in a larger world); you're trying to survive and you don't have complete control over your own fate, but I can see how people who are used to achievement hunting/minmaxing would get annoyed by that. You can save before big choices if it bothers you that much, otherwise I'd recommend to just roll with it, I don't think you can make the game unwinnable or anything.

I can't argue with that. But I got it on sale anyways because I figured if I don't spend money now and then, then there might never be a next chapter.

Gotta agree that it's not worth the full price tough

As you can see it's the type of game you either really like or really hate, I haven't had much time playing it but I really like the artstyle and the combat seems at the moment satisfying enough. Have a magnet link for convenience.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:36FE8A961F69618637A7CDF03A210D29F3BF5A7F&dn=the+banner+saga+r+g+mechanics&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fglotorrents.pw%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce

I'm not sure I ever understood this. Yes, they give you little information, but they also give each message a clear tone. Following the tone is usually enough to sort you out just fine. For the larger decisions, there are also hints on what to do or what is likely to happen that are massive in retrospect if not on the first go.

Worth supporting? Buy it you cheap fuck.

Nice world, story that doesn't pan out. Truly shit-tier combat.

Give it a try if you're starved for viking shit.

C'mon

Sounds like most people here are just shit at the game or didn't play it on hard

It's one of the more solid strategy RPGs that have come out for a long while. Combat is perfectly fine, and the game doesn't let you cheese it in the same way you can with a lot of other srpgs. i.e. there's actual difficulty

Nice one, friend.

I'm playing it right now.
Combat might seem piss easy, but after you figure out not to kill things right away, game actually feels like theres a little bit of strategy you can do. But if you can pirate it, pirate it, its alright.

If it seems easy then just move it to hard mode. It's pretty punishing there, and good luck clearing any second waves in those. Trying to keep your characters reasonably leveled and your caravan from starving to death or having pisspoor morale is tough.

I played the first mission and stopped. I don't like it