The Thing thread

Was Childs a human at the end?

It doesn't really matter

Who fucking cares? God, I hate people like you. You want to take a masterpiece of suspense and paranoia and "solve" it because you don't understand the value of an ambiguous ending.

You'd probably hate the comic sequel to this then.

Cause it is shit, the game is the only true sequel

Bah humbug, user, you're supposed to discuss and share thoughts about suspense endings. That's the whole point

The idea I heard of macready giving him a "drink" that was actually a molotov is interesting, as the thing might not have been able to know if it was a poisonous drink or really alcohol

It can literally be whatever you want it to be

The negro? He wasn't even a human at the beginning.

That brings up another question,

Spoilers:Was Macready human at the end of the game?

Of course, how else could he be flying a helicopter

So what do you want it to be you ornery faggot?

I just want it to be the ending

Then for you it was the ending. No need to post itt anymore.

What if the Thing not only takes your form, but also acquires your memories and skills?

I don't agree with that viewpoint because The Thing is just a collection of cells that imitate lifeforms. There is no conceivable way for it to learn a person's memories or attain mastery of advanced technical skills.

Have you even watched the movie? It wouldn't be able to infiltrate and mimic like it did if it wasn't able to take over the brain.

I forget, did he have a gleam of light in his eyes?

Then how did The Thing speak human language? That doesn't make sense. The people that got infected still did everything they normally do without problems with exception that they also do the sneaky shit. Along with the fact that it was building a Alien Spacecraft. It clearly carries it's own advanced technical skills. The people infected do not act out of character or lose any knowledge.

They were all infected. The alien cells can either take you that fast way, or slowly replace you through airborne spores.

Let's rephrase the question:
'Should have Snake burn down the nigger?'
Of course. A honest mistake is better than dooming humanity.

What if the alien merely lives inside the body of a host and the host doesn't even realise their infected until the alien finally takes total control and attacks?

But it's long been solved, because they put something right there in the fucking scene to answer the question, so astute viewers are supposed to pick up on it.

Macready's breath is visible because of the cold, Child's isn't. This is also confirmed in virtually every sequel there's been. In the game and in the comics Macready is alive but Childs is dead.

The Thing does retain your memories and skills, it's all about mass. As a single cell it can only have the intelligence of a cell, so it's only programmed with that basic will to imitate and replace. That's why it's always combining into larger and more grotesque monsters, once it reaches the sufficient mass it has the intelligence it requires. Don't forget in the movie it was trying to rebuild it's flying saucer.

It's your basic Plague Alien, like the Tyranids, the worm from Slither, Jenova, the Xenomorphs, The Colour Out of Space, etc. It serves no higher purpose but to drain a planet of life, add to it's mass and start over somewhere else. It's a hive so each individual is essentially part of the same organism.

Pick one.

Butthurt coon detected.

t. 44%

Autism: the fanbase

What your're suggesting is very possible, that the alien takes a backseat for most of the time and only takes direct control when it needs to. Though, if this is the case, the thing wouldn't really hide in the body; it would have taken over every single cell, and there'd only be the pathetic personality of the person that was once in charge. I remember that some fan of the movie made a pretty decent short story with this happening to one of the humans.

Ayy.

kek

You think so at first, but then later you see it. If they wanted that to be a point they failed becasue he clearly has visible breath. It makes the whole thing look like just a failure in setting up the stage climate precisely the same between takes.

A molotov cocktail is literally a drink set on fire. It's just as poisonous as another other alcoholic beverage.

It's typically a petroleum based fuel. Ethanol is not a very effective incendiary and the water content of alcoholic drinks is very high. The cocktail part is a sarcastic epithet due to the use of glass bottles.

play the game and find out. Carpenter worked on it and played a character in the game as well.

The whole point was that neither of them did know, or both knew or some of them knew.

ackchually, it's so named because during WW2, Soviets dropped bombs on Finland and claimed they were bread baskets, so the Finns decided to start giving Soviets some cocktails to go with the bread

That doesn't contradict anything I said. Use memes right ffs.

I have the feeling everclear would serve as a perfectly fine molotov.

Why would MacReady be the thing? He is the hero of the movie we, the audience, are following throughout the whole movie. We see him fighting the thing and killing it eventually.
I will never understand how this question even could come up.

But just because the Thing takes over somebody doesn't mean it changes the way their body functions. Even if Childs was the Thing, he/it should still breath normally.

yes it does. you claimed it's because of the glass bottles, I told you the actual reason

I think they mean he's been infected and assimilated before the last scene becasue twists 'n shit.

You see it when that balding guy gets discovered and burned out in the snow. When he howls his clouding breath is center frame.

They were both human.

The whole point of the ending, as well as the entire movie, is that you have no way of knowing which of them is still human and which is the thing. Even if you think you know, you can never be 100% certain.

I know the background of it and the cocktail part is due to them using bottles. If they had used butter boxes they wouldn't have called them cocktails, would they? I said "The cocktail part is a sarcastic epithet due to the use of glass bottles." which is true. I said nothing about what motivated people to create the sarcastic epithet in the first place, or why the name is specifically Molotov cocktail, becasue it is of no relevance in a post meant just to explain that the cocktail part of the name not literal but figurative so the content is not typically hard liquor but petroleum fuels.

It's like I say a country is in South America and you object that there are many countries in South America. Do you understand how language works?

Are there any similar movies that are kino? I'm looking for some nice horror with lots of paranoia among the characters to watch before bedtime.

There are many clones which don't add much… and most others are well known and you likely seen them (Pontypool, Alien, Event Horizon, etc..) , so some semi-obscure I like on the same style:
Altered (2006)
The Bone Snatcher (2003)
Visitors (2003)

Thanks for the recommendations, dude. I'll look those up. There's this old movie in the same genre that I can't remember the name of. Well, it's mystery rather than horror. Lots of paranoia, though. I remember that it's about a group of passenger on an airplane, just a regular flight, and they gradually lose touch with the people on the ground. Nothing over the radio. When they eventually land, there's noone around. Know of it?

Langoliers?

Yeah, that's the one. Looking for it for years. Thanks, man.

Hasn't Carpenter said that it was just an unintentional effect of the lighting and that it doesn't actually have any meaning in the context of the scene.

That's the same guy who says They Live isn't about jews