Can we just talk old rockstar games?

can we just talk old rockstar games?
i've been wanting to take in San Andreas again but i'm scared the nostalgia will be too much for me and i'll go crazy because of all the time that's passed

also why was Liberty City Stories Donald Love best Donald Love?

user, just because your plane explodes on impact doesn't mean you can't, i used to do it in SA all the time once planes were unlocked

the real fun is going into a copter into a copter in IV and letting the propellers fuck up

shameless bump, come on let's talk bully, too!

Not just Bully, let's talk about Manhunt. That shit is so violent even for it's time, I'm honestly surprised there isn't a single Rockstar game on that level now.

this guy gets it!
i remember getting manhunt in like '05 and that scared the shit out of me, to this fucking day i can't complete it because i'm a huge pussy

but i looved how you could decapitate people and use their heads for distraction and shit like that

You really should give it another playthrough, marathoning it. Shit just left me trembling, especially with how hard it gets near the end.

I think San Andreas is uninteresting.

well what about vice city? 3? liberty city stories? vice city stories? bully? the warriors? come on bud!

is it me or does jimmy hopkins look a little like cash?

He's probably Jimmy's bastard child or his crazy uncle. Like aren't most Rockstar games in the same universe?

Does this work well with PS2 emulators out of interest? I fucking love the game but its been years since I last played it and I've no longer got access to a console.

fun fact: in vice city (only the PS2 version afaik), if you can manage to cram the little movie studio helicopter into a pay n' spray, when it comes out it will have tires that actually roll, so you can make harder landings.

I believe it's done on an engine basis. 1+2 are one universe, 3+VC+SA and the two stories games are one universe and IV+Expansions+Chinatown are another. That said V somewhat bucked that trend.

There's some pretty major circumstantial evidence that Bully is indeed in the 3/VC/SA universe though. Shared car models and Bullsworth appears in an advert in one of the games iirc.

i love this idea and yes, most if not all rockstar games take place in the same universe

no idea but isn't it worth a try? are you familiar with the not-sequel we'll never ever get?

That's what makes me wonder, most games back then used better technology to make more gorier moments. Why not do the same for a Manhunt remake or sequel? That shit would be incredible.

I wonder if GTAV will have any other games in its universe, it's time for Rockstar to stop milking GTA Online and do it.

That's neat to know, especially because of all the easter eggs Rockstar seemed to put in those games

It certainly is. I'll have a go in a few weeks once I can be arsed with it all but I was hoping someone else already knew.

Wait what?

It'd just be a clone of V anyway. They've already said they won't be doing any more GTAs set in the past so get used to fairly bland parodies of the modern world instead.

They're afraid of the negative publicity that would bring. Scaring parents off from buying R* games for their kids is a fairly major concern after all.

That's sad, because though I don't mind modern era games, it's nice to get games like Vice City or San Andreas.

As for R* being scared of bad PR, they aren't a small company at all, their games sold thanks to controversy, and most of their audience are grown ups. No reason that should hold them back.

GTAV and GTAIV share a universe and typing this made me fucking realize you meant a non-GTA game sorry, i'm retarded

allegedly there was to be a game that took place in the 1960's during the Mods vs. Punks era in england, this project was called We Are The Mods and was supposed to be a spiritual successor to the warriors since rockstar didn't know what to do with the warriors storywise or something to that effect, the game didn't get past a few concept art pics, lemme find 'em for you user! seems i can only find a shitaku article, and it doesn't even have the concept of a few trolleys, i'm fucking sorry user

but why? i'd love to see a GTA in the 60's or 70's! hell if they keep reusing the 90's and 80's but do different walks of life i'll be fucking really satisfied, rockstar really is fucking catering to casuals now

The controversy a new Manhunt would bring about wouldn't help sell games particularly given the fact every fucker already knows about GTA. When you're a relatively small dev any publicity is good but an ultra-violet game isn't so much use to an established name. Consider how quiet their re-releases of manhunt have been (next to no publicity).

That sounds fucking awesome. Very underused setting too (at least in vidya).

As you say casuals are the target market. Casuals/kiddies have little-no interest in shit from the 60s or 70s and wouldn't understand the references they'd be making anyway.

see here's the sad part Rockstar makes money, they've made money forever, they can afford to risk a few bucks and you know what? i bet if We Are The Mods came out, it'd be a fucking hit, it's a win/win if it'd become a thing

it's funny how when they were starting they'd take a risk, several even in their hayday, they'd still take a risk or two, but now that they're on top and can literally afford any thing that hurt their funds, they don't wanna do it

Part of the problem is a lot of the imaginative people leaving big devs when they stop trying new things. Even those who are left get shouted down since the big games keep making money, why try new shit? Remember also 2K are involved and they care even less about originality.

It almost certainly would be a success particularly if it were marketed as '60s Warriors'. However the question is not would it make a profit but would it make as much of a profit as the same amount of time spent making more GTA shit? There's also no way to jew in an online mode with R* funbucks.

see, R* can do so much with GTAO like add a new map like vice city or something but they won't i'd love to see vice city or more of san andreas but they're gonna keep adding clothes and shit which don't get me wrong i love, but honestly i couldn't give a fuck about GTAO it's only fun to play when you have people to play with to actually do shit and not play "LOL I'LL KILL YOU YOU KILL ME!!" i know you were talking about the microtransaction money and i'm totes sorry i went on that tangent, i just had that in for a while

toni bump

so what would be on user's bully/manhunt wishlist if they made another? i think if they'd make another bully i'd probably want
-something like the body mass changer from san andreas, but within reason
-roller skates
-more wrasslin' moves
-comfier soundtrack
-longer winter/more activities for each season?
-harder spraypaint mini-game

For Bully I'd probably want a slightly larger school and map but still with unique, named NPCs for both the townspeople and the kids. The trick would be to avoid going too large past a point you're just adding empty space/filler to a game that doesn't need it.

Fuck Rockstar and their nihilistic storytelling bullshit, I want to climb my way up to the top of the foodchain, not drown in the stories of shitty, broken people.

san andreas in a way worked liked that except like most dindus you got out of the hood, which i liked, and like in real life CJ got shit for it from his brother

Would Bully work on a university setting?

Would that mean that SJWs would be a new clique?

i hope so, i fucking hope so, but i think highschool is ripe for even more stupidity, but university could work too, what's funny is that would the romanceable SJW just spout nonsense on dates like "I know I identify as a VHS.. But you treat me like a girl. And I love that–But don't tell anyone else."

Only if you get to chase the high score in the liberal arts building.

I actually remember hearing rumors that if Rockstar made a Bully 2, they'd go with a college setting.

Old Rockstar eh?

Even if they make it they'll just fill it with their usual cast of unlikeable characters, the MC will be some variant of dumbfuck that gets to be everyone's errand boy, and the whole gameworld will have the depth of a puddle.

I'm frankly tired of Rockstar and their shit, they've been rehashing the same game, with the same style of narrative, for years.

I 100%ed san andreas again a few weeks ago, do it faggot. And then spend 3 days piloting a plane while you listen to free bird

while that is true, let's talk about the handful of rockstar's likeable characters
my favorite protag is toni "Okay" cipriani i mean he was typical dumbfuck that wa an errand boy but at least he wasn't edgy like the more recent protagonists

fuck user, i'm scared.. but okay, i'll do it

I don't think the violence would be so light hearted or the romance so (comparatevily) innocent. Even the few references to sex etc in Bully were presented in such a way as to be noticeable to adults but not kids.

So yes, it could work, but you'd probably have to lose the light-hearted 50s/60s inspired childhood theme and instead go a bit darker.

Tommy 'Motherfuckin' Vercetti.

what about Ken "My Beautiful Wall" Rosenburg?
salvatore leone got some personality in liberty city stories, too

bump

I wish i hadnt played VC to death when i was teen. I just cant into it anymore because as soon as i start i know the plot, what quests comes next, what to do, what and how many enemies are behind the corner and know the whole map like the back of my hand.

Think i even played it 100% including all the collectibles atleast 2times, maybe 3 but definitely 2.

Tommy's the man still though, i really like how he's just what is it? megalomaniagal egoistic sadistic power hungry bastard without giving a fuck though still showing respect to those giving quests and i think towards Ken too. not surprising that the one who betrays you is a fucking nigger, around blacks never relax

Rockstar games are so fucking casual

At least there's the first Godfather game for that.

With The Warriors hitting the PSN store I decided to give that another playthrough. It's really fun, forgot how much fun it was, actually. Incredibly addictive game.

Nothing beats smacking an uppity nigga upside the head with a brick.

In many ways it feels a lot like Bully, but with more violence and somewhat tighter, more chaotic, combat.

You will never get a new Manhunt in today's gaming climate. Think of all the shit Hatred got, this would be infinitely worse.

Nowadays you have gaming media lumping themselves in with the censor train, rather than offering up some defense. Manhunt 2 was only released with heavy censorship, a more sophisticated Manhunt with even more detailed gore and kills? Fucking dream on pal, never gonna happen.

It'd be sexist, horrible, offensive, filth. And would maybe only be able to get a Steam release at best. And we all know that R* won't release anything if it can't get a console port too.

no