Cinematic universe cancer

Forget about capeshit. When will the cinematic universe cancer die out altogether? It’s clear it isn’t healthy for both the television and movie industry.

Other urls found in this thread:

denofgeek.com/us/movies/power-rangers/268670/power-rangers-2-might-not-be-dead-after-all
comicbook.com/powerrangers/2017/11/19/power-rangers-higher-rotten-tomatoes-justice-league/
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/soi.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Trying to copy the wrong things from another's success always leads to a oversaturated market of similar products that will get people tired of them faster until the next "big different thing" starts the cycle again.

They think that just having a "universe" gets people invested in future movies automatically when they forget that movies coming out has to be good in the first place. Disney/Marvel got a pass financially for being first and by being the only game for a long enough time.

Having a "universe" for every movie series is putting the cart in front of the horse in a road crowded with other horse-pushed carts getting in each other's way.

How the fuck did the conjuring end up having a more successful shared universe than Dark Universe?

If power rangers get a sequel. I have a feeling they might do a Saban universe with VR troopers and beatleborgs.

Conjuring was actually good.

Mummy a shit.

Wasn't a reboot of an old movie. It felt fresh and was successful despite being a smaller budget movie. They made a sequel which did ok. Basically didn't have a shared universe with 7 other ips in mind when making the first one.

Dracula Untold was meant to be the start of the Dark Universe but it bombed and no one remembers it.

Rumors say Universal want to license the monsters to Blumhouse now.

I doubt it. The FNAF movie probably be more profitable. Also the universal monsters concept is in the public domain. You can’t copyright werewolves and vampires.

If the power rangers sequel happens. Does this mean we might get a Saban cinematic universe with rebooted Beatleborgs, VR troopers and samurai pizza cats joining the power rangers? Lionsgate desperate for a superhero franchise and a shared universe.
denofgeek.com/us/movies/power-rangers/268670/power-rangers-2-might-not-be-dead-after-all

comicbook.com/powerrangers/2017/11/19/power-rangers-higher-rotten-tomatoes-justice-league/

For the same reasons Paranormal Activity has a trillion sequels.

Mashing together things that are better in their own individual stories is the absolute shit. The shared universe thing is interesting, for being part of a larger story, but when they come into one, its awful.

They should stop doing it to stories that are individual and pick on things like norse mythology, making individual movies for each divinity and then a piece with most of them that is actually lore.

On the contrary, cinematic universes seem to be slowly fizzled out. Studios are realizing that announcing a cinematic universe right away is too risky since they don't know if there will be an audience for that. Now the Conjuring worked because it was low budget and started out small and it was only as it went along that they decided to make a bigger universe according to fan response.

When you all stop posting about it and talking about it

this is partially why marvel succeeded as well. while future installments were announced, they could be dropped/added on the fly as well, and marvel was always adjusting to the audiences, hence getting three cap/im/thor flicks, as well as adding in lesser entries like black panther or captain marvel, even with their overall schedule being set for the most part.

Wasn’t for legal issues. I bet we would’ve had a Slashers cinematic universe announcement.

As a stand alone movie it wasn’t that bad. It ruined by share universe shit

I’m impressed by midnight edge not pretending DCEU been a total flopped like movie journalists do.

remember freddy vs jason? don't think ideas weren't explored after that, shit one of the original endings proposed had pinhead come up from hell and drag the two down with him.

If micheal bay was smart. He would’ve tried to reboot all slasher characters in the same universe when he could’ve of.

something like that is better off being left to the comics. freddy vs jason vs ash did a wonderful job of throwing the three franchises together, with nods to others as well. doing it in a film would be a significant pain in the ass. not to mention michael bay's little horror reboot frenzy only consisted of nightmare on elm street, texas chainsaw massacre and friday the 13th. combining two supernatural killers with one that's just batshit crazy and government conspiracy wouldn't mesh too well, not on the silver screen anyways.

Too bad, that Dracula was pretty alright, I thought.

Didn’t Texas chainsaw massacre gotten a recent prequel reboot that looked like a CW teen drama like Riverdale?

it's had like three reboots. there was the one back in 05 that started bay's horror boner, a prequel called tcm the beginning or something, then a film called just texas chainsaw 3d, and now they're working on another prequel reboot thingamajig called leatherface iirc.

Dark universe a horrible name

God, that movie was ass. I think I fell asleep halfway through.

It didn't even have any cinematic universe shit being mentioned in it and it still managed to be boring as sin.

The Conjuring was a shitty horror-movie. People however have shit-tastes since there hasn't been a good horror movie made for the last 30 years.

even the old ones pretty much ignored continuity

I don't want to believe that

like the Midnights Edgelords point out, the problem was probably that these other studios announced that they were going the "cinematic universe" route instead of just doing it and instead treating the inter-connectivity as a sort of value add, where each individual film still works on it's own and is still a complete, whole experience. I know a lot of people who intentionally avoid series and "universes" because it just feels like a commitment and time-sink (like gaming).

Before all this shit started there was a brief buzz over the concept of "transmedia" and that was supposed to be the hot new thing… where they'ld actually build the universe and tell single stories across different types of media instead of just one. I guess it was too hard to pitch though.. too high-concept… the term ended-up being co-opted by marketers for doing ad campaigns. it's still an interesting concept, though.

It wouldn't be bad if they actually cared about making sense.

Transmedia annoys people.

As long as Marvel makes bank, everyone is going to try to copy them, rather unsuccessfully.
There'll be another big upwards move in interest in them after the next Avengers movie breaks $2b with ease

yup. when they allow serialization or turn-it into an almost-ARG, they end-up using interconnectivity as a crutch and it fails for reasons you site. The individual works have to stand on their own, no matter the media, which I guess guts the most radical concept of transmedia.

I can see high learning-curve true transmedia or media universe storytelling working in niche IPs like a lot of games and "serious" sci-fi/fantasy, but for mass-appeal shit like nuTrek you're absolutely right.

It took them forever to explain the one simple fact that shared movie universe should consist of self-contained films with only basic background connections, leading into a collaboration film. Not be a fucking tv series where each individual episode is irrelevant without the whole, like all of these "universes" outside marvel are.

fuck you cunt

I AM THE BUMP OF CHRISTMAS PAST1234

Cinematic universes are the most jewish thing Hollywood has ever provided. You won't understand one film by itself, you have to watch the entire series leading up to it.

What the hell has Andre been smoking? Son of Frankenstein is the best in the series, and Daughter of Dracula is a cracking sequel to the original. He could not have picked worse examples to make his point.

The only ‘cinematic universe’ I want to see happen is a Lovecraft one – great, faithful stand-alone films that take place in the same universe/continuity. For example, in TSOI the first mention is made of shoggoths, who then show up in ATMOM.

I don't trust Hollywood one bit to be faithful to Lovecraft. They will butcher his work until it is unrecognizable
I also thought shoggoths were first mentioned in dreams in the witch's house.

You are probably right - if they could get decent directors, who are actually a fan of HPL, I could overlook certain changes, like setting the story in present day.

I cannot recall any mention of shoggoths in TDitWH, but that was published in 1932, while TSOI was published in 1931.
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/soi.aspx