Universal ABANDONS Dark Universe

bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3468887/universal-goes-back-drawing-board-dark-universe-producers-abandon-franchise/

Good. The Mummy was awful.

Other urls found in this thread:

collider.com/the-mummy-universal-monsters-shared-universe/#dracula-untold
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Took them long enough to ditch that horrid idea.
Now, hopefully we can get The Mummy IV starring Brendan, Rachel & John instead.

Pleb.

The grand irony here is that all they had to do was make Fraser's movies the linchpin of their expanded universe. Well, it was still a shit idea overall but this would've fared much better than kicking Fraser off the project and randomly throwing in Tom Cruise.

It would be cool to see a Creature from the Black Lagoon remake, like John Carpenter wanted to make back in the 80's

Is this the start of the Fraser comeback we've been hoping for?

He should do Journey 3 first

NO BRENDAN NO MUMMY

This exactly. If they made the other Monster movies with the same tone as the Fraser Mummy franchise, it could have been genuinely fun, go in completely the opposite direction from the original Universal movies.

They were only fun because of Brendan and now he's a husk of a man. It's over.

Brendan is a natural actor. You put him in front of a camera, and he'll deliver.

wrong

I liked The Mummy.

Which one?

The one with Tom Cruise.

They should just make straight-up horror movies. The Universal Monsters were never intended to be these big budget action flicks. Dracula, Frankenstein and all the rest are not supposed to be superheroes. They're monsters! They're supposed to be scary.

That's fine, but what if they will make a William Shakespeare Universe?
etc.

No. fuck off.

Tom Cruise is the hero we needed, killing the whole universe-shit in it's infancy.

Awesome. I remember them saying they weren't going to do a Dracula Untold sequel because they couldn't fit it in to their "Dark Universe" shit, so now maybe they will actually make a good Dracula movie again.

Oh I thought this was Dark Universe as in the Guillermo adaptation of DC's Magical Justice League.

Though, I want that cancelled as well, because he mentioned wanting Zatanna to be black, which would send me over the line.

This is one of those films that is objectively bad

Charles Dance as Van Helsing & Alun Armstrong as Renfield?

I heard that Van Helsing was supposed to be the start of this universe and that a sequel to Van Helsing would have the Mummy and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Didn't that get made into an animated movie?

Since it would never happen anyway, my pitch for this kind of movie is simple: The truly enduring threat of the Mummy is its eternal curse.

Set the movie in the 1910's, throw in a bevy of British secret societies that were popular among the idle aristocrats, and have Cruise as some sort of inquisitorial agent busting them up. The bulk of the movie is attempting to prevent the desecration/awakening of the mummy, but eventually failing and plunging the curse upon Europe and the world at large. The barrier between secular and mystical is breached, birthing the monsters of lore, or bringing them out of hiding.

Follow it up with a movie set a few years later in the midst of WWI. You could have an Invisible Man spy thriller, a cabal of Werewolves in the trenches, or Dr Frankenstein reviving dead soldiers to serve the front lines. They could have done everything so much better.

Please meme responsibly user

And where does Brendan fit in in all of this hullabaloo?

Charles Dance is already in Dracula Untold as the original vampire that turns Dracula so he has the vampire's powers to remove kebab. He would be a good Van Helsing though.

Top shit user. Then you could tie Hitler's werewolf brigade of WW2 as actual werewolves, have fucking aliens as part of the post-war UFO scare, a cold-war between the west (Tesla science) and east (monster magic), so many possibilities.
And we got…whatever the fuck The Mummy is.

Brendan Fraser plays the luckless news reporter who appears in every movie tying them altogether, and shit is always happening around him and he can't get away from these freak monster incidents, and over the course of the movies he gets increasingly more JUST, become more animated and agitated like he's about to crack and have a mental breakdown on camera, Alex Jones style (maybe make him an eceleb conspiracy theorist reporter), because he JUST can't get away from these freaking monsters!

This.
The only reason that movie was really worse than typical blockbusters was Tom Cruise """acting""".
Fraser range is limited but he's good at doing the lovable rogue.
Tom Cruise is good at… making Tom Cruise.

The Brendan films were a perfect mix of action and adventure – a modern day swashbuckler with loveable characters you like, funny and memorable lines, and set in the roaring twenties.

I’ve still got my old VHS copy of The Mummy, but I’ve been thinking about upgrading to DVD or Blu-ray, partially because of Brendan’s audio commentary track.

Dracula Untold was supposed to be the start of the Dark Universe

What's suppose to be untold about Dracula anyway? Nobleman saved his people from Muslim rule, other attempted nobleman plots his assassination, he becomes a vampire and goes on to drive the Islamic filth from the Balkans. Who wants to see that?

Oddly enough I heard the game turned out well.

Wayforward make some okay games. I suspect this is just something they already had in production that Universal bought, considering how little it has to do with the movie. It looks suspiciously similar to an Aliens game they made for the DS.

why even live fam

For anyone unaware, this is a good thing. Their Aliens and Thor games for the DS are pretty fucking great.

If Murrica ever unfucks itself and un-Jews Hollywood, maybe we'll be treated to such a vision. It's nice to dream.

The only way to fix Hollywood is to round up everyone in Hollywood and kill them.

Brendan was a better Indiana Jones in the Mummy films than Ford in the actual Indy films.

yeah justice league dark was made into an animated movie, though there's still talks of a live-action version being made.

a man can dream

At the end of Dracula Untold was it implied he was Van Helsing?

If the Justice League Dark movie has Guillermo Del Toro involved I doubt it'd happen since the guy keeps making promises he can't keep.

One thing I liked in the Hammer mummy movie is when Peter Cushing insults the Egyptian guy by telling him his god was a minor god and that his mysticism is bullshit. Its just funny seeing it since nowadays you couldn't get away with that.

My favourite film.

No, The Mummy was supposed to be the start of the Dark Universe.
collider.com/the-mummy-universal-monsters-shared-universe/#dracula-untold

Wayforward do some good stuff. They are a hired gun with a niche, but they can do the niche well.

No, Charles Dance's character simply saw Dracula walking around modern day, meeting a woman that looked like his long dead wife, and then he said "Let the games begin". Because Dracula had lifted the curse that kept Dance's vampire confined to the cave in Wallachia.

Dracula was meant to be until it failed. They did an about face and said "Actually The Mummy is the beginning."

Got a source for that claim or are you just talking shit?

Jesus fucking christ, nigger - you are on the Internet, are you not?

Dracula Untold was designed to simultaneously re-introduce a rebooted Dracula to moviegoers as well as become the opening chapter in what Universal intended to become a shared universe of movie monsters.
did not go quite as planned. Received tepidly by audiences and faring even worse with critics (rated 23% Rotten on Rotten Tomatoes), the $70-million budgeted Dracula Untold grossed $56-million at the North American box office, with another $160-million in worldwide grosses. Not the smash hit Universal had hoped for, Dracula Untold‘s performance upended its position as the harbinger of the prospective shared universe. Dark Universe’s creative brain trust, including Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek) and Chris Morgan (Fast and the Furious), made new plans to use Tom Cruise’s The Mummy as the new launching point. Dracula Untold was relegated to the shadows. However, as late as September 2016, Luke Evans, while promoting The Girl on the Train, was under the impression his version of the prince of darkness was still an active participant in Dark Universe:

“There have been talks and conversations. I think the bigger picture is exciting for all the monsters that they own. There is talk about it. I just don’t know how it will all manifest itself. I think it will happen and I think they’re just working out how these monsters interact and how they end up in the same realm with each other. If they can stick Captain America in a scene with Iron Man and Thor, I think you can definitely put Wolf Man, the Invisible Man, The Mummy and Dracula in the same film as well.”

Universal’s formal unveiling of Dark Universe and its stars, Cruise, Bardem, Depp, Boutella, and Crowe, left Evans and his Dracula entirely out of this monster mash. Whether Evans or his Dracula will even be a part of Dark Universe going forward is unknown, but it overall, it seems unlikely. However, this isn’t a bad thing. Eschewing Dracula Untold and Dracula the character, especially at this pivotal early point in Universal’s strategy, is a savvy move and should be a boon to Dark Universe.

While nearly everyone has heard of the king of the vampires, Dracula’s fame comes at a price. Dracula is the most prolific of movie monsters; dozens of films starring or involving Dracula have been produced since Universal Pictures introduced Bela Lugosi as the seminal Dracula in 1931 – and that’s not even including Dracula’s countless appearances on television and in other forms of media. Yet the last two live action films involving Dracula that made bank at the box office was Stephen Sommers’ Van Helsing in 2004 with $120-million and 1992’s Francis Ford Coppola directed Bram Stoker’s Dracula with $82 million, while the animated Hotel Transylvania and its sequel has them both beaten with a combined $317-million. Like many other public domain characters like Peter Pan, Robin Hood, and King Arthur, Dracula has long been overexposed and overdone. As Dracula Untold discovered in 2014, moviegoing audiences remain generally uninterested in the horrors of Dracula.

Dark Universe Main Cast Why Dark Universe is Better Off Without Dracula (For Now)

Meanwhile, Universal has assembled top tier talent for their initial launch of Dark Universe. Tom Cruise, who remains one of the most bankable movie stars in Hollywood, joining The Mummy franchise initially raised eyebrows, but it turns out Cruise was just the beginning of Universal’s monster plans. With Cruise now being joined by A-list actors Johnny Depp, Javier Bardem, and Russell Crowe, who are all Academy Award winners or nominees, Universal makes a powerful statement that the Dark Universe monster movies will not be B-list schlock but high caliber, major motion pictures. In addition, with the exception of The Mummy, which has previously been a reliable blockbuster franchise, Dark Universe is spotlighting monsters from its pantheon that have not been done to death. Bride of Frankenstein and The Invisible Man are relatively unsullied concepts to modern audiences, with the hopes that Bardem and Depp’s involvement will make the package even more enticing.

Yet Dracula remains a crown jewel character, despite the baggage surrounding him. History has proven that when done properly and if it successfully taps the zeitgeist, Dracula can be wildly popular and is big business. The wisest move involving Dracula at this point, which seems to be Universal’s strategy, is to ignore Dracula Untold and hold back use of the vampire king until Dark Universe is more established (i.e. proven to be a moneymaking hit with audiences) and until a worthy way to utilize the character and the concept of vampires within the shared universe can be conjured.

Get back here fucker.

The whole thing in making classic monsters into superheroes is just retarded.

Can we just call this shared universe what it really is? Universal holding on to the rights of classic movie monsters for another 75 years.

this, my friendinos. we get new films every decade so they can secure those rights.

Good. Just make good stand-alone films. It sucks when you watch a film knowing that there isn't going to be an ending. The Two Towers had this issue, but it didn't even have a beginning as it was the middle movie. It's part of why you have to start with fellowship every time you feel like re-watching the movies.

A Van Helsing monster hunter series would be interesting if each movie works on its own. You could then have each entry in the series focus on a different monster and largely independent of the other movies save for random Easter eggs here and there.

Frankenstein was questionable as he was created by Dr. Frankenstein and little ambitions of his own. The doctor was the greater monster in his movie. The mummy was just following the curse, but there is nothing redeeming about Dracula. Having said that, I really do like Bram Stroker's Dracula, but that may be because of Gary Oldman. I like Keanu, but he was a wooden board throughout the movie.

However, my favorite version of Dracula is more than likely Shadow of the Vampire. I really do love seeing unbelievers running into actual monsters.

That would be awesome. Kinda like Indianna Jones?

The only shared uinverse franchise besides Marvel that works is the Godzilla movies.

Scary movies can have big budgets, and super heroes can be in low budget movies.
Mom?

I really fucking hate Tom Cruise. a real life Mary Sue.

If you put him in front of a camera I can guarantee the only thing he'll be delivering is the rest of the alimony

Woah! Shots fired!

Seriously though, no Brendan no Mummy!

JUST

It's almost like when you spent all your time plotting out a decades worth of movies you don't invest enough time on the movie you're supposed to be making.

Ironman 1 was never set up to launch the marvel universe. It was just an Ironman movie with a bonus scene at the end that took 30 seconds at most.

Was the movie any good?