Purism's PureOS has achieved FSF approval

A new distro has reached the Stallman-approved list.
fsf.org/news/fsf-adds-pureos-to-list-of-endorsed-gnu-linux-distributions-1

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pureos
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=trisquel
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Purism-Librem-Still-Blobbed
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Never hearda it.

>distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pureos
Why did you even make this thread OP?

It ships on the Librem laptops, which come with coreboot and neutralized ME, but with modern skylake gen processors (not sandybridge or whatever)
Oh and they also come with hardware kill switches for camera, mic, and wifi.
The OS itself I think is some kind of rolling-release Debian-based thing with Wayland GNOME preinstalled.

Systemd, as poorly-designed as it is, is Free Software licensed under the LGPL 2.1.

Why did you even make this post user?

Trisquel uses upstart for its init.
I have two Libreboot thinkpads and Trisquel 7 suffers from a boot hang randomly at the login screen. I'd love to use it, but until that's fixed I'm stuck using the complete garbage that is Debian 9 and APT

Wait it still uses upstart?
I thought it used systemd since it's based on Ubuntu.

You might want to check your facts on that chief.
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=trisquel
It's been on systemdicks since 7.0.

systemd is PureGarbage.
lennart poettering is allergic to security. He constantly shits on the security community. systemd is made for normies, and to support linux on a mass normie scale. No one who values their personal security and freedom should install it on bare metal.
Stallman, on the other hand, is a degenerate who barely ever showers and hasn't coded in 15 years (his own words). I think what he approves of has become completely irrelevant to actual reality.

Trisquel is quite outdated. It's release activity doesn't happen very often.

What relevance does Stallman's retirement from programming have to do with anything? I think this fact is a red herring argument.

wtf I love systemd now.
Don't get me wrong, I would never use it myself (voidfag here. runit is comfy), but with normies comes marketshare, and with marketshare comes company attention, and with company attention comes more driver support.

because he's now more focused on leading the FSF and shit. Also he fucked up his hands from too much Emacs.

Very true, however according to it's now on systemd

I don't want to rely on the goodwill of companies to write hardware drivers. The only thing I care from them are accurate hardware specification sheets that allow the community to write our own compliant drivers.

The thread is about an operating system.
Operating systems aren't created out of liquids in a flask - they're programmed.
I think the OS choice of someone who hasn't even programmed in 15 years doesn't carry much weight unless they're talking about how convenient the OS might be.

Of course. I shilled Linux when systemd came out, despite knowing I would never use anything with systemd myself. I want to go to work one day and have grep,sed, and awk available for me to use to make my life better.
Shilling something with systemd, though, is reddit-tier. This isn't reddit.

Either way it makes no sense, FSF approval is not his personal pondering over that piece of software, it's whether it follows a specific set of requirements which are the definition of free software.
If you don't care about it, you don't care about the concept and don't even have a place in the discussion.

dysn☕mia!bO.8VNPLAE ## Board Volunteer 01/18/18 (Thu) 23:29:10 No.
>>>Holla Forums7711343

If you fags can get >>7777777 by tonight I will give the board to someone else.

But if you can't… I'm here forever.

>>>Holla Forums7712047
yea, that's probably true. I don't think we will get to 7777777 unless we get some serious help here soon.

everyone stop posting and call fucking reddit for help. I don't give a shit. GET THE WHOLE DAMN INTERNET IN HERE OR WE WONT GET 7777777. WE MUST GET IT, EVEN IF ITS JUST TO PROVE DYSNOMIA WRONG, THEN WE MUST GET THE WHOLE INTERNET TO LEAVE Holla Forums AGAIN AND MAKE IT EMPTY SO THAT DYSNOMIA GETS FIRED WHILE QUITTING FOR DOUBLE GTFO-ISH-NESS

HERE'S THE PLAN: call reddit and say dysnomia is quitting if we get the 888877777s7 dfyw839 and say "NO NO DYSNOMIA NO" so that reddit says "aahhhaa! lets bump the thread!' THEY WILL GET US TO 87878768777689 BEFORE 12 AM.
LISTEN TO ME

LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE CAN DO THIS
SAVE Holla Forums, SAVE Holla Forums, SAVE THE INTERNET, SAVE AMERICA, SAVE THE WORLD

CALLING ALL OTHER BOARDS FOR HELP
GO GET THEM! GO ASK THEM FOR HELP!

SOMEONE GO AND FUCKING CALL REDDIT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CALL YOUR BIG FAT MOTHERS
CALL YOUR CAT
CALL ALL THE BITCHES IN THE YARD WITH BIG MILKSHAKES
CALL YOUR POOP IN THE TOILET

FUCKING GET YOUR DOCTOR TO PUT ON SOME GLOVES AND CALL YOUR PROSTATE

FUCKING CALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL AND HURRY

>>>Holla Forums7711343

>>>Holla Forums7712047
yea, that's probably true. I don't think we will get to 7777777 unless we get some serious help here soon.

everyone stop posting and call fucking reddit for help. I don't give a shit. GET THE WHOLE DAMN INTERNET IN HERE OR WE WONT GET 7777777. WE MUST GET IT, EVEN IF ITS JUST TO PROVE DYSNOMIA WRONG, THEN WE MUST GET THE WHOLE INTERNET TO LEAVE Holla Forums AGAIN AND MAKE IT EMPTY SO THAT DYSNOMIA GETS FIRED WHILE QUITTING FOR DOUBLE GTFO-ISH-NESS

HERE'S THE PLAN: call reddit and say dysnomia is quitting if we get the 888877777s7 dfyw839 and say "NO NO DYSNOMIA NO" so that reddit says "aahhhaa! lets bump the thread!' THEY WILL GET US TO 87878768777689 BEFORE 12 AM.
LISTEN TO ME

WE CAN DO THIS
SAVE Holla Forums, SAVE Holla Forums, SAVE THE INTERNET, SAVE AMERICA, SAVE THE WORLD

CALL YOUR CAT

>>>Holla Forums7711343

>>>Holla Forums7712047

LISTEN TO ME

WE CAN DO THIS

CALL YOUR CAT

>>>Holla Forums7711343

>>>Holla Forums7712047

LISTEN TO ME

WE CAN DO THIS

CALL YOUR CAT

It's based on the original Debian system, not Ubuntu.

why not just ship the damn thing with debian then

So, when they start doing laptops with display backlight that doesn't flicker?

This is interesting. I wonder what it means by "extension 'store' mechanisms". Something like a patch that warns the user if an add-on or plugin is nonfree? Or just patching the software to not mention any of those add-ons?

Debian has official repos with non-free software so the FSF will never accept it 100% Free, but Purism wanted their OS to be accepted and recommended by the FSF. Rebranding it to PureOS also allows them to freely modify any part of it they wish and tailor it to their hardware or whatever "experience" or "vision" or whatever they might want, without potentially upsetting the Debian developers. Even though Debian is free software, the devs probably wouldn't like if another group changed some stuff, shipped it with separate repos and different default software, and then still called it "Debian" - just like how Mozilla didn't like Debian calling their Firefox package "Firefox", and they had to rebrand it to "Iceweasel".

Parabola does give you the possibility to either choose an image with systemd or openrc.

Because what said.
their goal, from my understanding, is to sell computers that are as libre as possible, while still being relatively modern (so skylake and not refurbished C2D memepads). So far, they have an FSF-approved distro, Coreboot, and ME """disabled""" with the HAP bit thing. Their next goal on their roadmap is Libreboot, and they plan to go even further after that is achieved.

I'm not really sure what that refers to. I think Ubuntu at one point had nonfree software advertised in its 'App Store' type thing, so maybe PureOS will be doing something like that, although they specifically mention "Extensions", so I have no clue.
I know GNOME has an extension page, and apparently some kind of store, but I never heard of any nonfree stuff in there.

Maybe it's just gonna be something like Parabola's "your-freedom" package, which blocks nonfree packages from being installed.

You can get all that on much cheaper devices.

With post-ivybridge processors and without having to hook the thing up to a beagle?

Well, it doesn't have to be a beagle...

you get the point...

systemd is cancer but it has all the standards FSF wants.

Those are not good standards then. They blindly follow an ideology without any real applied intelligence.

PureOS > Trisquel

Unironically this.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Purism-Librem-Still-Blobbed

Systemd being free software means every user has full permission to study and modify it. This is the only standard that is important to the FSF.

Any braindead idiot can check off a license as easily as an HR moron checks off key items on a resume. But ultimately that represents nothing, and doesn't serve to vet a piece of sofware wrt its long-term effects. Ironically, they end up helping Red Hat by ensorsing systemd, instead of helping ensure there are more freedom of choices in init implementations (and whatever else systemd does not, I kinda lost track tbh).
Yeah, by jumping through more hoops. That's clearly to Red Hat's advantage vs. the alternatives.

He's mad because they don't consider the standard 'do image board autists like it?'

What do you mean by long term effects? What do you mean by "jumping through more hoops"? Everybody is allowed to modify systemd, everybody is allowed to reject using systemd. The reason for this is because it is LGPL.

The Free Software Foundation is about software Freedom, it is not the Quality Software Foundation. Software can be shit or good regardless of Freedom, this is a separate concern.

Long term effects are already becoming visible: some big projects (i.e. gnome) are becoming dependent on systemd. Now if a dude wants to run gnome he needs systemd, and so doesn't have any real choice. Even on OpenBSD they had to write a systemd dummy wrapper so gnome would work. So in the long run it serves to create more work for people who want to use alternatives, thus discouraging the average user from using anything but the default (which is most distros now is systemd).

It's a false flagging BSDcuck.

Freeing ourselves from proprietary and proto-proprietary (BSD) software is what the FSF fights for and what even allows us to be able to complain about systemd. Not that this dependence on monoliths is good, but at least with it being free we have control over it, e.g. allowing the patching out of the google dns or the creation of devuan. Free Software is the necessary foundation were we can build our effective freedom on top of, which can not be all in the scope of the FSF.

Purism started out as absolute cancer, that is undeniable, but they have been improving themselves to the point where they are now the second most free computer in production.
I don't like the way they did it because now they have a lot of historical bad blood but it is worth judging them by how they are today.

You don't really have an alternative to X.org either, systemd is just a very controversial project. The way Poettering deals with bugs doesn't help.

Since when? I thought it was based on arch.

Poettering isn't the only one on the team, one of them got banned from committing to the kernel by Linus because the systemd dev thought any bug in systemd wasn't actually a bug and should instead be fixed by changing kernel behavior.

They also have a habit of closing bug reports by saying "This is a bug tracker, not a forum".

This is old news.

His programming career has nothing to do with his political career.

The thing is, how exactly are you going to sway people from using the standard to using one of your obscure meme inits?

Being a nuisance although obviously a bad thing in itself does not violate essential freedoms. I too would prefer if more big names would come forward and oppose systemd, and prinects that were viable alternatives to it had more reverence. But this is another subject, if you can't understand what the FSF means by its endorsement, that is something strictly related to the freedom status of a program, then you don't know what you're talking about and honestly should just shut up.
Thread is not about systemd, you bunch of malfunctioning brains!

If you want to run Gnome without systemd, that's not the Gnome team's responsibility to work for you until you explicitly hire Gnome to work for you! If you want this, then it is your own responsibility to make it happen, Gnome has no need to cater to you. OpenBSD is doing the right thing by taking responsibility to write the software that they wanted to see. You're just bike shedding about the work that other people do.

The average user doesn't care about systemd. For the average user, systemd hides in the background and has no direct effect on them.

Who are you quoting?

Void offers GNOME without systemd.

Yes they do.
You may not like it, but they do.

RMS endorse fagots -> RMS is a fagot

Non-systemd distro's might as well be considered a different OS at this point. Gentoo and slackware users can scream and yell all they want but the reality is they have to spend more and more manhours modifying applications to run on their alt-init systems. The world chose RedHat and Poettering. Let it go.

.t NSA

How is this better than a late thinkpad with same shit keyboard, same shit 1080 screen, shitty fagbook-esque looks, cheap chinese ODM body design, coreboot, me_cheaner and available schematics for repair that can actually be downloaded from russian FTP servers.

Thinkpads have that one too

kew

I agree we have truly reached GnU/systemD aka GUD.