What does Holla Forums think about Web Assembly?

What does Holla Forums think about Web Assembly?
Is it just a faster, lighter alternative to JS, or will it enable the botnet to grow even worse?

hacks.mozilla.org/2018/01/making-webassembly-even-faster-firefoxs-new-streaming-and-tiering-compiler/

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/stevespringett/disable-webassembly
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No it's literally javascript. Web Assembly is where you take other languages and transpile them into javascript.

WebAssembly is a binary format, executed within a sandbox.

The way i understand it a fundamental difference to JS is the ability to compile line by line, to make use of streaming compilation like in the linked article.
Wouldn't the same thing be able with an interpreted language like Python?

No you're thinking of some vaproware that will never make it into mainstream use. The WebAssembly you're going to fucking GET is asm.js.

asm.js is not WebAssembly, they are two different things.

Python is interpreted, not compiled. This "streaming compilation" isn't like interpreting, it just means compilation happens without requiring the entire source file at once.

Yes, one is vaporware that will never see mainstream use and one is the one you're going to fucking get.

Why would you start talking about asm.js in a WebAssembly thread?

In spite of its name, looks like yet another "bytecode" platform like .NET, JVM, or P-System. From what I can tell, the main advantage over asm.js is just that it's built into the browser as a static library, so the bytecode VM boilerplate doesn't have to be downloaded with every single thing that uses it.

I've never understood the attraction in this trash. Why not just distribute compiled binaries for an actual ISA like x86 and ARM? On the actual hardware (which it would be 99.999% of the time) it would be a zillion times faster and lighter, it would be just as secure run inside a VM, you could still do dynarec just like LLVM does if the binary was really old, and on the 0.001% of edge cases where you were using a different ISA like MIPS/PPC/etc it would emulate/recompile just as fast as a fake "bytecode" ISA.

How about we replace javascript with python or something else less shit, and then stop trying to make serious programs in the fucking web browser.

Running random assembly from the web would not at all be secure.

There was never a worse time to roll out native code in a browser than right now. Even lowering the precision of performance.now() won't mitigate the kind of attacks that are feasible through spectre and meltdown.

This is not going to end well.

Look dude, the only way this is gonna happen is if there is NO programming/scripting language AT ALL.
If you replace javascript with python, people will just figure out how to do the same shit with python.
We have to just pull the plug on the whole thing if we want change.

Web Assembly is just going to enable more proprietary code to be developed.
I think it's a mistake. An HTML document viewer does not need to execute arbitrary code downloaded over the internet without even asking the user.

Why do they sound so clever for making this up. It's literally what the majority of compilers already do except they are streaming it from a file rather than a network socket.

botnet intensifies
bye bye track/adblocking

I'd ban you just for your fucking post formatting. Kill yourself.

What makes you think you have any power or say in the matter?

Web browsers are no longer "HTML document viewers", buddy.

The problem with WebAssembly is that it may be the end of adblocking as we know it. Since it's a binary, adblockers won't be able to approach them as they approach JS.

Everyone loved java applets right? :^)

As long as webassembly doesn't have access to the DOM, it should be as easy to block as flash, right?

I don't. What I'm referring to will never actually happen, but that's what would have to happen to get people to stop making programs in the browser. Make it so that they can't.
It's like

and

are talking about. You said earlier that people shout stop trying to make serious programs in the browser, but that ship has already sailed, sadly.

holy shit I remember those!

Yeah they is, except sometimes the document isn't static. But if they do want client-side scripting, fuck them. Homie don't play dat. Only Lynx and Links -g muthafuckas!

Javascript is more ethical than black box server-side logic (barring honest use of the AGPL).

It's just huge unreadable packages of minified javascript (and now bytecode) that subvert that.

Nah, I don't really care what they run on their server. That's their hardware. It only needs to be open source to run on my gear.
But anyway I don't want to scripts running in my browser anyway, because it's just one more attack vector.

The source is right there retard, it is sent to you.

Nigga, I ain't running no ephemeral botnet obfuscated Internet code on botnet x86 backdoor POS architecture.

It's reinforces DRMs and botnet.

first need into strong typing

couldn't you just choose not to execute any binaries, producing more or less the same inconveniences as with not executing JS?

Perhaps the main reason JS isn't even more prevalent than it already is, are performance issues.
Take these away, and Internet 3.0 4.0? whatever marketing jews might call it might get rid of HTML entirely, with all but legacy sites simply serving one binary as a site.

This is a wet dream for DRM. Software as a service perfected. You don't just pay for it, you don't just get a license to use it, you don't even get to have it on your hard drive. It's software STREAMING.

dysn☕mia!bO.8VNPLAE ## Board Volunteer 01/18/18 (Thu) 23:29:10 No.
>>>Holla Forums7711343

If you fags can get >>7777777 by tonight I will give the board to someone else.

But if you can't… I'm here forever.

>>>Holla Forums7712047
yea, that's probably true. I don't think we will get to 7777777 unless we get some serious help here soon.

everyone stop posting and call fucking reddit for help. I don't give a shit. GET THE WHOLE DAMN INTERNET IN HERE OR WE WONT GET 7777777. WE MUST GET IT, EVEN IF ITS JUST TO PROVE DYSNOMIA WRONG, THEN WE MUST GET THE WHOLE INTERNET TO LEAVE Holla Forums AGAIN AND MAKE IT EMPTY SO THAT DYSNOMIA GETS FIRED WHILE QUITTING FOR DOUBLE GTFO-ISH-NESS

HERE'S THE PLAN: call reddit and say dysnomia is quitting if we get the 888877777s7 dfyw839 and say "NO NO DYSNOMIA NO" so that reddit says "aahhhaa! lets bump the thread!' THEY WILL GET US TO 87878768777689 BEFORE 12 AM.
LISTEN TO ME

LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE CAN DO THIS
SAVE Holla Forums, SAVE Holla Forums, SAVE THE INTERNET, SAVE AMERICA, SAVE THE WORLD

CALLING ALL OTHER BOARDS FOR HELP
GO GET THEM! GO ASK THEM FOR HELP!

SOMEONE GO AND FUCKING CALL REDDIT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CALL YOUR BIG FAT MOTHERS
CALL YOUR CAT
CALL ALL THE BITCHES IN THE YARD WITH BIG MILKSHAKES
CALL YOUR POOP IN THE TOILET

FUCKING GET YOUR DOCTOR TO PUT ON SOME GLOVES AND CALL YOUR PROSTATE

FUCKING CALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL AND HURRY

>>>Holla Forums7711343

>>>Holla Forums7712047
yea, that's probably true. I don't think we will get to 7777777 unless we get some serious help here soon.

everyone stop posting and call fucking reddit for help. I don't give a shit. GET THE WHOLE DAMN INTERNET IN HERE OR WE WONT GET 7777777. WE MUST GET IT, EVEN IF ITS JUST TO PROVE DYSNOMIA WRONG, THEN WE MUST GET THE WHOLE INTERNET TO LEAVE Holla Forums AGAIN AND MAKE IT EMPTY SO THAT DYSNOMIA GETS FIRED WHILE QUITTING FOR DOUBLE GTFO-ISH-NESS

HERE'S THE PLAN: call reddit and say dysnomia is quitting if we get the 888877777s7 dfyw839 and say "NO NO DYSNOMIA NO" so that reddit says "aahhhaa! lets bump the thread!' THEY WILL GET US TO 87878768777689 BEFORE 12 AM.
LISTEN TO ME

WE CAN DO THIS
SAVE Holla Forums, SAVE Holla Forums, SAVE THE INTERNET, SAVE AMERICA, SAVE THE WORLD

CALL YOUR CAT

>>>Holla Forums7711343

>>>Holla Forums7712047

LISTEN TO ME

WE CAN DO THIS

CALL YOUR CAT

WebAssembly theoretically is a way to write the equivalent of JS functions but faster. It does this by letting the user write byte code that then gets compiled and executed in the same sandbox as JS code.

The biggest problem is that you have a good idea of what actual CPU instructions WebAssembly byte code will map to, which makes it easier to exploit CPU bugs. And like said this is bad timing given the recent CPU bug disclosures.

webassembly exists today and works by default in all modern browsers.
it is a bytecode that gets directly jitted to the native CPU opcodes by the browser without needing to go through are the parsing and optimization steps that javascript does to get turned into opcodes.

I think its got a way to go before it becomes useful.
Threading and DOM/Web API access is essential, while its "being worked on," who knows if it will ever see the light of day

There are several ways to compile Python.

As a matter of course you should be disabling this cancer.

github.com/stevespringett/disable-webassembly

It's a transparent power grab, the idea here is to eliminate ad blockers and increase tracking. I feel they will slide this in by requiring it for streaming video, integrated with DRM, think Netflix and Amazon.

For your safety of course.

While it will certainly make adblocking more difficult, it won't eliminate it. The adblocking community has shown to be very driven to their cause, even going as far as to create anti-anti-adblocking userscripts.

wasm bytecode can still be intercepted, dissasembled, and modified. Its hardly any different than the obfuscated javascript used today to serve ads and block adblockers. If that really is the subversive goal of wasm, it will be a failure.

Why go through all that trouble though? At some point you have to just give them the finger, instead of keep piling on tons of hacks to play their stupid game. No fucking social media site or video streaming or gaming shit is worth that kind of headaches.

Checked em.
Terry was right

What's not to like? It allows me to avoid JS and write programs in a sane language like C++ and then having it run on all platforms without cross-compiling anything which is a huge win.
My only problem is that performance isn't exactly close to native despite what they advertise and it's a bit rough around the edges as of now.

And a real l33t h4xx0r like yourself uses?

it wasn't designed in a weekend so it's instantaneously better