Writing technology

people sometimes talk about fancy pens and mechanical pencils. my sister is an artist, I steal some of her pencils sometimes, like pic related. I've been using it for a while now and I really like how it looks (professional looking, has metal parts on it that look nice) and how the eraser works (long and thin, you just keep pulling it out as it depletes so you dont have to replace it often). I also like how it says japan on it. japan is cool.

what pens/mech pencils do you use?

I do not use them
if I need to sign something, they have their pen

lmao look at this old man
do you have wrinkles old man

fucking great thread op, top notch

i love you

it would just make you look like a tryhard

I essentially use only Pilot Supregrip, in both pen and mechanical pencil forms.

Platinum #3776 I bought in Tokyo, F nib, with blue-black Mont Blanc ink

LAMY pens are good

I'm scared of using fountain pens
people will think "look at that guy who uses something that looks that weird"

By far the best pen I've ever used. My favorites are the 0.2 and 0.3

unironically have used only these for the past 4 years

I found a orange, chewed up pencil outside that I use from time to time.

People think that about old phones and Thinkpads as well, fuck that noise

I use the Rotring 600 as my daily driver. I never lose pencils and the build quality is amazing so it's worth the price for me. I've got a Rotring Pro just in case as a backup though.

Just use Bic crystals and pencils. Or space pens for maximum LARPing.

More of a pen guy myself, but any writing implement that externally resembles a scalpel is usually a good thing

it was available as a fountain and a ballpoint pen as well

Alvin DR07 Draf-Tec. Used it almost exclusively for 3 years of my EE degree. Best pencil I've ever used. And while we're at it, TI-36X Pro is the absolute best engineering calculator and Staedtler is the best eraser.

Bloat.

bic > papermate
prove me wrong
protip
you can't

I like an ordinary pencil.

If you don't use Noodler's Ink in your fountain pens you might as well bin them

I use a ball point pen that I got from my bank. It has their logo on it and was free.
Sometimes I use those pencils you get for free at ikea.

Fine tipped marker pen on plain white paper. Fuck lines.

you limp-wristed queers don't even write on steel

I have some of these but I wouldn't write on anything with them.

Someone left one of these capped uniball jetstream pens at my local pizza place I some times get small pizzas from before work and I got to sign a receipt with it, it felt super good so I looked into them and it turned out to be a favorite of pen reviewing pen enthusiasts talking about how it doesn't blotch and dries fast enough to be comfortable for lefties and such. Now it's my preferred pen and I always have on one me now and use one instead of the provided free work pens with the company logo on them.

oh and their 0.3mm gel pens aren't bad either

I have a ballpoint pen that was lying on the ground. One time I even found a laptop on the ground.

nice

fuck pens

There's literally no other option.

why would anyone use a pen/pencil?

this is botnet designed specifically to gather data which can be used to identify you with high accuracy. do you have any idea how much information using one of these creates?

Graphgear 500.
It's heavy.

0.9 lead

lol, but don't worry, I write ransom notes with letters cut out of a magazine.

Graphgear 1000 best damn pencil ever created.
staedtler ereasers are the shit

My current daily carry with an rotring 800 on the way. What is the best eraser? I have these pilot foam erasers but they're not anything special.

I only use inks.

It's impossible to erase something written in eraser, because it's already erased. This is how a true hacker writes.

I envy you engineers. I am a chemist, and everything MUST be in pen (or sharpie.) EVERYTHING. Everything you write down in the lab is a legal document. Everything must be labeled. Every mistake must be marked out with one line and remain legible. Then the mistake must be dated and initialed with an explanation of what the error was. Did you write yesterday's date while correcting your goof? Now you get to mark through that and date and initial that with "wrong date" as an explanation. Once it was the end of my shift and I was tired as fuck and made the same mistake twice in a row while correcting. The lady who double checks over our reports probably thought I was retarded having to correct a correction that corrected a correction that corrected a correction that corrected a misprint. Any blank areas on a page must be slashed and 'NA' written above the line and initialed and dated. Every piece of glassware in use must be labeled in sharpie with the contents, what SOP it is for, then initialed and dated. Using a scale requires the scale to have a printout of the weight you can sign initial. If the scale doesn't have a printer, you need a special sheet to put the scale's id number, when it was last calibrated, when it needs to be calibrated again, and have someone sign that they witnessed you weighing the substance and that you wrote down the correct amount. Some solutions also require a specific expiration time date.

Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date. Initial and date.
Such is life in cGMP testing laboratory.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why we have to document everything so thoroughly, but that doesn't make it any less tedious.

those things do NOT write like pens. they write like if you put some half-dry ink on a bit of rubber and smeared it across the page

People here have been saying staedtler erasers are pretty good.
You ought to tell us how the Rotring 800 is when it comes, as a long time user of the 600 I'm very interested in how it is.

This sounds like hell.

On the note of pens I've always wanted to try to make a refillable brush pen and load it up with homemade walnut ink.

So in the end when you hand in a report it looks like the undo history of a text editor?

meant for

It's actually becoming 'trendy' again. You now see disposable fountain pens for people who want the feel, but without the hassle of maintaining a real one. Of course their quality isn't as great, but it's a sign that their design is still in demand.

Oh god, we had to use those shits in school.
Why would anyone willingly use fountain pens?

For black pens definitely the G2 Pilots 05, there's no real competition at their price point. They write reasonably smooth, and dries fast enough as i'm not throwing out too much gel so it's pretty balance. They aren't as tough as they seem though, when I was going to college I would go up a very tall bridge and it the pressure differential seem to make them bleed. That's the only thing I could figure. Too much movement will kill them as well so for example at work I can't carry them around, they usually stay at my desk.

For blue pens, the Bic Crystals are amazing. These things write incredibly smooth whether it's hot, cold, they withstand all the movement. Don't smear like gels but also don't dry out as fast like other ballpoints. Aesthetically they look straight out of the 60's but knowing how well these things write I'm not looking for a replacement anytime soon.

For pencils hands down the Mirado Classics are the best pencil I have found. They write like butter, feel great and have a good consistent quality that very few pencils that you find at the local store match. Not expensive either like the blackwings.

Here's everything out of the wrap. Bad black Mock is cool as fuck. Our lord and savior at noodlers says it's one of their most tamper proof inks yet.

Should be here Thursday. Will report back. Seems like it got a lot of mixed reviews, but it used to cost more so that may be a reason why.

Space pens are the best, especially if you're a student because they're affordable and you're basically guaranteed that they won't stop working in the middle of an exam.

Over all I can see the 800 being a better daily driver pencil and the 600 something you'd leave at a desk. The internals of the 800 are all metal as shown. While some people said there is some wiggle with the retractable tip I can only feel it if I'm wiggling the tip with my hand. I can't feel it at all when writing. Could get worse over time. The click when pressing the button is less satisfying but still feels reliable. The retractable tip feels very satisfying. It clicks when fully extended and springs back in. Just like the 600 it has a great weight balance to it. It looks like it may be slightly fatter? But maybe that's just me. Overall, it's pretty great. I'm happy to have it.

I used this for a long time and really liked it until all mine finally broke. I am really fed up with the mechanical pencil industry now, everyone just makes inferior crap and switches the designs around every few years to justify their own existence. I wish I had a good mechanical pencil design that could be 3D printed.

Do you have to physically screw these every time you need more led? That sounds awfully annoying.

I have one of these that I fill the spent cartridge with Heart of Darkness black. Writes smooth as butter after using lapping sheets on it to make it smooth.
Would recommend to anyone looking for a cheap fountain pen that writes good.

nice

Someone please explain to me why a thread on a technology board is full of fountain pen and wooden pencil users. I remember a watch thread we had a while back had a load of luddite hipster aesthetic fucks in it too. Should we expect quill pen users any moment in here too?

Let's say my name is user Ymous, and I'm retardedly tired because the lab is falling behind in testing so they're making everyone work 54 hours a week. Let's say I made a mistake writing down a specific gravity, then fuck up the date. It would look something like this:
417 471
misprint AY 1/18/17 1/18/18 wrong date AY 1/18/18

Cheers user, thanks for the review, I might have to get one myself if nothing else than for the full metal construction.

Security. Can't hack a fucking note book.

With the 1000 at least you click the top to get more lead out. To refill, you take the top metal cap off, take out the inner eraser and fill it up like every other mechanical pencil.

Fuck off LARPer.

Oh no, I need to physically write all the time. I use the marvels of modern engineering when I write to make it convenient however. Just look at this side-clicking mechanism for drawing out more lead here and have your mind blown

Notice also the fine point that never needs sharpening and can be guided along an edge or ruler for precision line crafting. You can't seriously believe wooden pencil users are anything but geriatrics or stupid hipsters, can you?

Fountain pens feel better to write with, but you have to careful since the ink doesn't dry immediately (I use a cheap pen though). The ones with a tip like>>854077 allow you to make strokes of different widths, which is useless for me since my writing is horrible but useful if you care for calligraphy. Pencils are useful if you like drawing, which I believe quite a few people on an animu board do. Quills have no advantage AFAIK.
What do you mean by luddite hipster watches? If you mean mechanical watches, they look better than digital watches and perform the same function without needing overpriced batteries unless they're quartz. Btw, luddites weren't against tech, they wanted to be trained in the new tech instead of being thrown in the gutter.

For drawing you don't always want a fine point.

If you intended to trigger me with that picture I'll have you know you did great

Nah thanks bro. I'll continue using pens I got from job fairs. They werk just fine and I don't have to pay for them.

I pilfer mine from work. I already have more than I need. It's just like a little klepto game now. I wish I still worked at the lab.

Try lurking a few years more before posting again.

What a fucking nigger

Cheaper Parker Pens, like the Vector and the Jotter. Just steel, no colors.