Looking for jobs

why is it so hard to find entry level dev jobs?

wew, who would have ever thought that

H1B

I don't really know what you're supposed to do after graduating college though. I mean getting an internship while still in college is basically a requirement, it's more important than the degree itself. You don't need nepotism or normalfag networking either, the most "networking" I ever did was showing up at career fairs and handing out my resume and basically saying

Depends on the company. I tried one that was obviously some fat HR woman who couldn't give a shit, even came back later to do an interview, and was rejected. But a bunch where just regular salary guys that volunteered or got voluntold to do the career fair thing for good boy points. I ended up working with the same guys I handed my resume to, one of them even sits in the cube next to mine. Both software devs.

It seemed to me like the ones that had a bunch of corporate sponsored "merch" to hand out for free, like cups and keychains and lanyards, tended to be the ones that were manned by some soulless HR drone. On the other hand the ones that didn't have all that crap were more likely to be manned by regular workers, devs, and engineers.

Are you a burger though?

please answer this, there are no college career fairs over here so i don't know what is it he is talking about.

Yes.

They look like this and are official events where a college or university invites companies to come set up a stand and talk to students and collect resumes.

They ask a lot but they'll get the first guy that can make FizzBuzz.
They are that desperate. If you are decent, go for it.

I had that and I'm yuropoor. They practically begged us to come I got in and I'll be paid 1500€ for a fucking internship. Nice, I say.

This. Get an internship. Every one that I've seen in the tech industry is paid not much but better then nothing. Do a good job, work hard, talk about loonix all the time and you'll go places

Wew, you got an internship while also getting paid, in yurop? I couldn't find a place even if I begged and worked for free.
What are you, a kraut-user?

No, jobs require experience, how you develop such experience doesn't particularly matter.

Here, have the story of my job hunt. It has a happy ending. Hopefully there are lessons to learn in it.

The following experiences are in no particular order

1/2

And here's the happy ending.

You might have your own takeaways from this wall of text, but mine are that you need a solid resume and some serious luck if you don't have some form of nepotism to benefit from.

2/2

kys kike

what said

I have been interviewing with a local company since November, and still no decision. No other companies seem to be hiring 1-5 year experience positions. Everything is either Internship or Manager/Senior/Principal positions.

Nah, frog here. I'm doing a supposedly god tier master, though. I must be the only one using a POSIX platform at home, kill me.

It's pretty lame, but try working with a recruiter. I got my job by being a contractor for a year then being recruited full time.

Businesses like contractor positions for junior devs so they can just not renew if they turn out to be idiots.

My life OP:
Look, entry level jobs should say something like 0-3 years experience. Figure out the niche you want to go into and, on your own, study the things related to that field. Make things related to it so that you have something to show for it (if asked) and then just add it to your resume. "Oh, it says you built XYZ on your resume, explain how you went about designing and creating it?"
That's step one, step to is to take advantage of any networks you do have access to. Why? Simple, the point of those networks (from school of family's work) is so that they have an inherent disposition towards thinking you're qualified (e.g. nepotism, i.e. you're not trying to win, you're trying to not lose since you default on good terms).
The above is what you do if you didn't get an internship. If you did get an internship, that's your work experience, mark it down, apply either way (even if it says years. As long as it's under, say, 2 and you can prove you do it, who gives a shit?)

Nothing unusual, my peers can't go beyond running Ubuntu in a VM from Wangblows besides those literal fags with Macbooks
Doesn't Windows support POSIX as well?

Do you count Linux for Windows 10 or Things like mingw as ((support)))?

Why do so many fags think that they have to program things?
t. sysadmin pro

If it counts for anything, we don't spam people and everything's on an opt-in, opt-out basis. Do you two currently have jobs that are morally superior to mine(in which case, please at least tell me what kind of company. I will probably switch jobs later in my career when I have the 3-5 years of experience most jobs demand), or is this just baseless shitposting?

for the same reason everyone thinks they need to be an engineer or a 'manager', or go to university even.

I chose to be a programmer because it's less frustrating to fix your own software than to deal with the bugs in someone else's.

I'm a machinist, tell me about it.

Been working as a high school teacher instead since it's impossible to find work in manufacturing.

Kinda wish I had a president like Trump then maybe things would be looking up.

I wish I had a President like Trump too.
t. American

Not really. Even the developers of the most widely used enterprise (((tm))) software get their balls crushed by their sales and distribution departments if their partners have a problem.

Real life example: It's a lot easier for me to get an error in our proprietary firewall appliance of choice fixed than it is to get the pfsense fags to even acknowledge that there's something wrong at all.

This is the answer. Corporations are making you compete globally on wages but at the same time prevent you from making compete globally on prices.

A good percentage of the positions you are apply for they do not want to receive applications for. 100% shitcanning all resumes. "see, we can't find qualified US applications!! Give us the H1Bs!!". The minimum requirements are written so that they do not find qualified applicants. They do not want to. This is a prerequisite for sucking on the H1B tit.

kys you're self

55k is what they pay senior devs with years of experience in germany
Entry level is 30k

I was making 42k as a part time intern. 63k as an entry level full time dev after that. Then again don't you have all kinds of "free" shit like healthcare and education over there?

Nothing is free. You still pay for all of it just not as much as in america i guess.

Cost of living matters. I could move to Commiefornia and be making 150k doing the same job, but I would never do that because after factoring in cost of living I've be making LESS than I am at 63k somewhere else.

You'll never make it brah

Cost of living is fairly high unless you live in bumfuck nowhere but then you have to spend tons of money to get to your workplace. We have mandatory tv tax just like the britcucks too and i'm sure the taxes will be increased soon again to pay for the migrants.

What the hell is that crap? You don't get out of it if you don't have a TV?

Get this, even blind people have to pay it until they prove to a state rep guy that they are truly blind.
This country is going down and fast.

>(((internship)))

It's also not a percentage, let alone an increasing fraction, but a flat number, as an extra fuck you to the poor. The board of directors of these senders is staffed by the higher ups of our major political parties and their relatives/friends, so we are forced to pay for our own establishment propaganda. The private senders want to take some of our money too now, because muh unfair!!

This is what pisses me off the most. We are forced to pay a really high amount of money which is then used to produce literal anti german propaganda.

Then why don't you do something about it instead of cucking out as your ZOG fucks you in the ass by taxing you twice for your own indoctrination into cuckholdery, jihad style?

what sort of prereqs did you walk in with?

t. baka neet

twice?

no gaps in cv

That's a good one.
I'm so fucked.

Go back to cuckchan.

Once for the tv and another for the cable payment.

>not studying to do literally everything yourself without cash as a fuck you to (((modern society)))
git gud

I do interviews for a (((big tech company))) which honestly is not a typical entry level job. But you can always apply.

Based on my experience as an interviewer including seeing candidate's resume, and my own experience in the job market, the following applies generally:

1. Network. Go to meetups, hackathons, etc. If you've been to college, connect with old professors to get advice. Old professors are also a good source of references, anyone who knows anything about you and your work is a good start.

2. Do resume-worthy stuff and put it on your resume. Hackathons, contributions to open source, programming competitions (warning, they are very tough), personal projects, online courses.

3. Have a degree. If not, do a programming bootcamp. Bootcamps work because they are either selective in who they accept or don't pass everyone. So the employer is getting a real signal.

4. Apply for lots of jobs. It's a numbers game. Taylor your resume to every job.

5. Never say anything negative on your resume, your application or the interview. Examples are
By keeping all your statements neutral or positive you show that you are able to act professionally and not make waves. Examples are
At the entry level positions, you should demonstrate the attitude that you are interested in some specific things, but willing to do anything. As you progress in your career you can be more explicit about the things you're not interested in.

6. Use professional language in your resume, never use slang or try to be funny.

7. Get someone to review your resume, even posting here would be helpful.

Whatever one thinks about advertising, those comments were clearly more motivated by jealousy and crab-mentality than a principled opposition to advertising.

Why not just say 48500 USD? It sounds like you're simultaneously trying to boast about being a sysadmin while deliberately obfuscating your pay.

Hoxha did nothing wrong Zog and Hitler deserved it.

At this point I'm considering just lying to clear out my resume gap but I don't know the best way to go about it. Do you think anyone will notice if I pretended to graduate in 2017?

90% of this board uses adblockers and fake email addresses when signing up for things, how can you be more "principled opposition" than that?

polite sage

look into internships and win in that kind of way

It entirely depends on where you live.
Certs that may be useful in the US, may be completely ignored in the EU, and vice-versa.

I live in the US, flyover country

All they have to do is look up your records at the school to know you didn't graduate in 2017 and then you're FUCKED.

that's what I do, no debt, enough savings from wageslaving to do things that interest me.
I just need something that's marketable.

I'm going to start reading The Linux Command Line.

I actually had the best experience when I was applying for a mil job (navy specifically).

The only spooky thing was afterwards, you have to do a security clearance check.

For op: You want to beat the shit out of the other applicants? Then make some work samples. Tons of them. The more technical the better.

Why would they do that in the first place?

>>be me
y o u h a v e t o g o b a c k

Doing these things is easy, they don't prove that you have firm principals. It's easy to use your principals as an excuse to do nothing and then attack people who do something. Especially when your politics allows you to define anything as kikery. already said they are opt-in, why is that kind of advertising even bad?

wew indeed.

They have to write the listings to deter applicants so they can turn around and say
Before applying for an H1B employee the company needs to demonstrate this or their application gets rejected.

I don't even know what a fucking extrusion is

Pushing material through a nozzle and/or a filter mesh. Like making macaroni, only typically less edible. Anyway, you had access to resources that you didn't have to pay for. All my dad left me blacklisted from multiple utility companies by using my SSN to sign up for services (and not pay for them) when I was a kid. I've spent the last quarter of my life working a shit job that hires people with room temperature IQs, as to get a job in electronic engineering, I would have had to sell everything I owned after acquiring my degree, move to the west coast, pretend to be an H1B street shitter, and murder someone who had the position I was trained for, as those jobs are FOR LIFE.

Because curryniggers took yer jahbs.

Ncurses shilling knows no bound.

gtfo scumbag

I see you there, mentor.

Fellow sysadmin, about to drop into a job making a bit more. No company car, though. We've really got it easy compared to the codefags, I can't imagine why anyone would want to get a programming job when they could do ops instead.

I enjoy programming. Sysadmin jobs make me feel claustraphobic (because most boxes I manage are UNIX descendants and come with the inherited braon damage).

LOl
why is it so hard to answer a question correctly and not just project your own inadequacies of employment oppurtunities?
the correct answer would be:
It is so hard to find entry level dev jobs because the employers operate from an MBA mindset, where they want to get the most out of their money for potential applicants.
You don't need an education to make money. The problem is that people only hire if they see "CISSP" or BScompsci
i hate our system and will forever be in rebellion of how easy and pointless it is to work for a pinhead boss like bill lumbergh from office space

even if you have a quarter million ddollar education you will still get treated like crap. they want to take advantage of people that dont fully understand the system

This is why it's your duty to lie on your resume. We have to eat and HR-drones/employer-bros are lookin' to keep the poor spaghetti [non-]workers poor. I got overlooked for work they hire literal retards off the street, because I had 'gaps' and the hiring manager was all like "Why didn't you work at McDonalds?" This fucking company re-hires people they fire for poor attendance or piss-poor output quality this company builds things where it costs as much as your yearly salary to buy one. Good thing though is I've gone to EEOC because I have insider knowledge HR black-balled me and prefers to hire spics.

be good at programming.
have example code + programs to show for yourself.

thats all.

I'm a Systems Software Engineer for a pretty large company. I don't have a degree (but I did study in school for a while)

this