Intel microcode update

Adam Flores
Adam Flores

Updated microcode posted by Intel-Aviv, grab it while it's hot

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=52214

All urls found in this thread:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=52214
https://launchpad.net/debian/+source/intel-microcode/+changelog
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151527756600887&w=2
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/i/intel-microcode/intel-microcode_3.20180108.1_changelog
Jose Young
Jose Young

Thanks officer, I'll be sure to re encrypt everything right after.

Jordan Cooper
Jordan Cooper

+ Implements IBRS/IBPB support and enhances LFENCE: mitigation
against Spectre (CVE-2017-5715)
+ Very likely fixes several other errata on some of the processors
* supplementary-ucode-CVE-2017-5715.d/: remove.
+ Downgraded microcodes:
sig 0x000406f1, pf_mask 0xef, 2017-03-01, rev 0xb000021, size 26624
sig 0x000506c9, pf_mask 0x03, 2017-03-25, rev 0x002c, size 16384
+ This removes IBRS/IBPB support for these two platforms when compared
with the previous (and unofficial) release, 20171215. We don't know
why Intel declined to include these microcode updates (as well as
several others) in the release.
https://launchpad.net/debian/+source/intel-microcode/+changelog

Jeremiah Martin
Jeremiah Martin

Filthy microcodeses! What has it got in its pocketses?

Nathan Sanders
Nathan Sanders

We are here to save you goy!

Landon Wright
Landon Wright

Wonder If the Libreboot project will worry about this.

Austin Jones
Austin Jones

tfw dd if=microcode.dat of=/dev/cpu/microcode bs=1M throws an invalid argument error

Am I missing something?

Jayden Sullivan
Jayden Sullivan

How to analyse these files?

Levi Rogers
Levi Rogers

Will the microcode updates still carry performance penalties and are simply an extra layer of security in the event an unpatched OS needs to be ran?

Parker White
Parker White

Are you serious?

Xavier Jackson
Xavier Jackson

yes

Grayson Cruz
Grayson Cruz

It's time to apply teh patch to introduce new backdoor Goy

Jayden Morales
Jayden Morales

All this shit looks like (((the glitch))) straight outta Deus Ex.

Andrew Collins
Andrew Collins

read_nigger_read.webm

Lucas Evans
Lucas Evans

+ Very likely fixes several other errata on some of the processors
ie we have no idea what the fuck this microcode update does but we're going to include this proprietary binary blob in our repo's anyway because it's intel

Chase Gomez
Chase Gomez

This

Jaxson Butler
Jaxson Butler

amd or arm is good
I hate these sort of image that are fucking inaccurate.
Anybody who has copied the X86 architecture is vulnerable to spectre, so ARM and AMD are also in that trash compactor.
The only CPUs who have not these are simple other architectures like MIPS or POWER.

Grayson Martin
Grayson Martin

Will anybody will learn about this clusterfuck of obscurity ?

Nicholas Anderson
Nicholas Anderson

just installed it desu

Ryder Edwards
Ryder Edwards

OpenBSD/armv7 is largely unaffected by either of these bugs.
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151527756600887&w=2

Parker Jones
Parker Jones

However since OpenBSD/armv7 flushes the BTB on each context switch already
Translation: OpenBSD was already as slow as Linux now is.

Sebastian Wilson
Sebastian Wilson

OpenBSD values correctness over speed homie.

Christopher Bell
Christopher Bell

The mistake was made integrating the northbridge with the processor itself, thus making such intrusion possible. What gains are made by the placement, anyway?

Evan Hughes
Evan Hughes

What gains are made by the placement, anyway?
Probably speed. Because they must make the cpu as fast as possible in order to cope with the shit software they are making. To hell with any other considerations, speed is all that matters.

Maybe power efficiency too. Can't have Tyrone running out of battery because he forgot his adaptor like the dumbass he is.

Pretty sick of this shit.

Jordan Morgan
Jordan Morgan

Returning to tonight's biggest story. The World Health Organization today issued an unprecedented recall on augmentation technology. For days, reports of temporary malfunctions and electrostatic disturbances have been flooding in from around the globe. Elizabeth DuClare, spokeswoman for the WHO, confirmed that the cause of these disruptions has been linked to a major malfunction in a multichannel peripheral nerve biochip, a device which transmits neural impulses directly to inorganic tissue. She is urging people to visit their local LIMB clinics immediately to have the faulty chips replaced.

James Carter
James Carter

OpenBSD values wankery over security homie.
FTFY

Carter Hill
Carter Hill

being this gay on the Internet
OpenBSD really irritates you CIA niggers doesn't it?

Christopher Cooper
Christopher Cooper

Just updated my OpenBSD -current box to today's snapshot. It downloaded and installed the microcode automatically.

Eli Diaz
Eli Diaz

Does OpenBSD actually has some design decisions that make it better than Linux kernel or is it just written better or something?

Kayden Fisher
Kayden Fisher

Yes, it has binary blobs straight in the kernel because that's more secure. Also no extended access rules because that's bloat.

Kayden Gutierrez
Kayden Gutierrez

Yeah it pisses off all the cianiggers who want everyone on Linux/systemd.

Put the fucking lotion in the basket!

Austin Allen
Austin Allen

give it a few years, retards will line up for proprietary implants

Easton Watson
Easton Watson

Does OpenBSD actually has some design decisions that make it better than Linux kernel or is it just written better or something?
That's what theo promotes and his standard code quality is good but he's a hypocrite about a lot of things like blobs in the kernel or clang or licenses, it's double standards thinking and niggers exploit that all the time.

Jaxson Ross
Jaxson Ross

Intel will simply ignore any CPU older than 5 years.

Run "dmesg | grep microcode" and compare your sig value to the changelog if you want to check whether your microcode has actually been fixed against Spectre variant 2:
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/i/intel-microcode/intel-microcode_3.20180108.1_changelog

Jack Gomez
Jack Gomez

What blobs in kernel? There's only /etc/firmware/* that get installed into the hardware devices that need it. There's nothing like closed nvidia or broadcom drivers in kernel. If there exists no open-source driver, then your hardware simply isn't supported at all. Anyway the kernel is monolithic with no loadable modules.

Logan Perez
Logan Perez

what blobs? Why would you need proprietary drivers? Userland software is all open source. Why would you lie about the bsd logo being copyrighted?
hilarious strawman and misdirection as always, openplacebotard.

Evan Gonzalez
Evan Gonzalez

Pacemakers. Already happening. They're buggy too,

Oliver Miller
Oliver Miller

You're conflating firmware and kernel drivers. Either you're stupid or just trolling.

Benjamin Perez
Benjamin Perez

The distinction doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is that they're both software and they both need to respect my freedom.

Josiah Long
Josiah Long

if I change the meaning of words despite nobody else in the world adhering to my newspeak, it means everyone is talking in the same newspeak as me
Openplacebotard logic at its finest.

Ryder Thompson
Ryder Thompson

You're kdding right? You think OS runs inside all the hardware microcontrollers, including shit like Intel ME? Go have your head examined before it's too late.

Michael Scott
Michael Scott

Now that's a strawman argument as I don't advocate the position that the OS runs inside all the hardware microcontrollers. I advocate the position that firmware is software and that drivers are software. The fact that they are software inherently means that they must respect my freedom.

Michael Evans
Michael Evans

So I ran deblob script on 4.14.11 and I'm having troble installing "firmware_install" module. Should I skip it?

Logan Phillips
Logan Phillips

Do I need to update coreboot with this microblob?

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page