GNU/Linux /minimalism/ thread

For suggestions on programs that aren't bloat refer to suckless.org/rocks

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

gentoo.org/downloads/

debian.org/CD/netinst/

repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/

alpinelinux.org/downloads/

Another protip to keep your system minimal is to keep your package count lower than 999.

Get recommendations to see if your system is bloat or not

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux this thread isn't for you.

A nice quote
"Minimalism = A very good thing"
Too much of something is never good."

Other urls found in this thread:

kohina.radio.ethz.ch/kohina.ogg
ranger.github.io/
wiki.musl-libc.org/alternatives.html
gng.z505.com/cult.htm
z505.com/cgi-bin/qkcont/qkcont.cgi?p=Just use LS For Everything
ebay.com/itm/RCA-10-034-Windows-Tablet-with-Detachable-Keyboard-parts-or-repair-/142660757419?nma=true&si=kHIIAI0%2FVApi4I45ZjZaZ%2BZuk5M%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
st.suckless.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)
alpinelinux.org
voidlinux.eu
gnu.org/software/guix/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/
debian.org/CD/netinst/
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
alpinelinux.org/community/code-of-conduct.html
8ch.net/tech/res/834803.html#q860115
cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180118.iso
cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180130.iso
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/776e2l/terminal_and_shell_performance/
passwordstore.org/
github.com/Q3CPMA/sxiv-manga-reader
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/System-Configuration.html#System-Configuration
muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/
man.openbsd.org/doas
lmgtfy.com/?q=smarter than the average bear
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Debian is literally the best distro, prove me wrong
protip: you can't

I agree with you.

cuckchan be gone

What distro do you use then?

Here's a little benchmark of WM ram usage.

I prefer Gentoo so that makes Gentoo the best distro. Sorry pal, didn't mean to hurt your feelings it's just how I feel about this matter is all.

You can only pick one

>uxterm

Manjaro i3 with no systemd was my favorite minimal distro.

go back to cuckchan

why is pozfox in the minimal guide.
it's the opposite of minimal, it's loaded with bloat

Absolute cancer, apt is an abomination not to mention systemd...
Gtfo, Void is what Arch used to be, a good distro. Void's xbps is fucking amazing, its blazing fast compared to apt and way more stable than pacman.

Get a 386 or early 486 with 8 megs, install old Slackware that has 1.2.x kernel. Now you have minimal Linux.

How about GNU GuixSD?

I wonder why nobody brings this one up. Seems like the best one out of all the FSF-approved distros, and looks pretty excellent in its own right.
It uses the Shepherd init system, which I think is interesting, because you really don't see it anywhere else.
Packages seem fairly up to date.

idk. no one uses it.

post your void desktop

Why did you link to the list of things that suck?

Manjaro i3 with no systemd was my favorite minimal distro.

What's with the old one?

That one is pretty old. Actually.

Fuck off

What this guy said
I think KDE now uses less than GNOME 3.

Cool distro, and not minimalist.

But why be minimal?
Just because someone told you to do so? Your system is there to help you do what you want to do so set one up which suits you.
Will being minimal make me happy? Make me attain enlightenment like some sadhu? Make me more in tune with nature? Nature is minimal like the silence of a cold night but it also rich, superfluous, overpowering, mind numbing like the sound of waves crashing on rocks.
We have been corrupted or more correctly we have disfigured the Buddhist concepts of minimalism, mindfulness etc Everyone is trying to be minimal, to be mindful, to be free, to be whatever buzzword they fancy, to be whatever they think will make them superior to others, whatever will feed their ego. But the thing is you are trying.
It is this trying, this want, this desire, this search that drives the circle of rebirth.
Just let it go.
Do you know how you to protect a drop of water from drying?
By throwing it into the sea

Minimalism is retarded and you should neck yourself

"Minimalism" is about not using your computer to its full potential. "Minimalism" is an excuse to make programs that are not as good. "Minimalism" has nothing to do with bloat either. You can make a 32 KB program that is not minimal and has an incredible amount of power, and a 1 MB "minimalist" Hello World program.

Found the ubuntu and mint faggots

OpenBsd pretty generally stay in base.
Xterm, CWM, vi, xsetroot for background, rewrite of bashpodder using ftp and ksh. It's pretty /cozy/

bt| pkg_info -mffmpeg-20170825p2 audio/video converter and streamerfirefox-57.0.1p0 Mozilla web browsergambit-4.8.8 complete, efficient and reliable implementation of Schemeheirloom-doctools-160308p1 modernized troff implementationiwn-firmware-5.11p1 firmware binary images for iwn(4) driverquirks-2.396 exceptions to pkg_add rulesuvideo-firmware-1.2p2 firmware binary images for uvideo(4) drivervmm-firmware-1.10.2p5 firmware binary images for vmm(4) driver

this

Whats the most minimal to stream your desktop on youtube with facecam. I heard obs is bloat

firefox as minimal
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol

I use linux mint with lxde, pcmanfm, lxterminal, notepadqq fight me.

Void is a great distro for ricers like myself. Get my sleek wallpaper set up and then I'm ready for action. It's truly an aesthetic experience.

OpenBSD
cwm
mpv
feh
ls, cp, mv, rm
vi, mg, vim, sam, acme
pdksh
Firefox and lynx
xterm

xterm is minimal in that it is in openbsd base. So i dont need more code out of base.

Firefox isn't a minimal browser but to be honest ive never really found a minima browser that i liked. Any suggestions?

I liked dwb but it's abandoned. Midori maybe?

I used midori a long time ago i remember it crashing a bit but that was a long time ago on suboptimal hardware. Maybe ill just go and try it again. Hell im on winter break from college maybe ill just try everything.

dwm + st + tmux
cool, but sometimes bloat is fine too ..so, zfs
st
Music: kohina.radio.ethz.ch/kohina.ogg

If I wanted a terminal without scrollback I'd Ctrl+Alt+F2

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just use obs. It's possible to do it with ffmpeg but it will be hard to set up. Especially if you want to mix multiple audio streams.

Wait st doesn't have scrollback? lmao suckless is fucking dumb. urxvt and xfce4-terminal for bsd compatibility tyvm.

Also why thunar instead of pcmanfm?

If you can't modify such a small program, there's a scrollback patch.

Suckless is always right (except on static linking).

Why would the user patch or modify the program himself when there are great alternatives that do this out-of-the-box? If you still support patching it then you are deciding with your feefees and not logic.

Holla Forums in 2017.
Literaly just a bunch of college faggot ready to be code monkeys.

Cause there's better wms.

I think the idea is that you just use tmux to get scroll back and tabs etc.

I used it for a while but not anymore.

I guess you don't like USE flags too.

Obviously. There is its evolution.

Suckless is never right. They use the words "bloat" or "sucks" for anything they don't know how to do. They say dynamic linking "sucks" because they don't know how to do it. The only real bloat is software that is unusable, doesn't work properly, is full of unfixable bugs because they were standardized as proper behavior, wastes time, makes your life worse, and makes your ability to do what you want to do harder. The majority of C and POSIX/UNIX are like that, therefore they're bloat.

Why would people be allowed to control their machine?
Let the NSA or poettering do it for them.

You don't need to use your brain. Why are you even thinking? Just listen to TV, they're give you the answer to the question of life. Why would anyone try to think about philosophy or build up project, when there is people doing it for you?

In what fucking hell of a dystopia are we living in.

Put ranger in file manager and qutebrowser in web browser. Also, pcmanfm is the best GUI filemanager I've used.
I like feh but it doesn't support hipster formats like webp and flif and probably never will because the library it uses is abandoned as far as I can tell.

I bet you use a DE. Heh.

Nice opinion.
Fucking retard. While POSIX/SUS is full of shit (especially allowing newlines in filenames), nobody is saying that it's perfect. It's not like there's another widespread OS definition around to choose.

I use gentoo on this machine tbh

This is only considering line count though, which is quite an odd metric to go by for minimalism to me. I personally value speed and ram-efficency. And in those aspects, urxvt daemon/clients wins.

Exactly, the code clarity is not such a big deal with terminal emulators since the maintenance is low and considering the necessity of the package it will always get maintained anyhow. Urxvt is my goto with any wm, with xfce I tend to use the xfce-terminal because it plays nice with everything and doesn't make a dent in my strong machine.

It's minimal coz it has vim-like keybinds amirite

Yeah, it's only about the surface to them. He probably likes how minimal bootstrap websites are too.

This is the most important one because bug number is proportional to the code size. The other good reason is that something that is not only designed but also programmed with minimalism in mind is easier to study then modify.
Useless complexity. It's not like urxvt's 13MB or st's 8MB will really matter. Scroll speed is the same.
Anyway, what's the point of a client/daemon architecture for a terminal emulator? What is there to share between different windows?

It's relatively minimal. It can be minimal enough, depending on what you want from your minimalism.
The rendering engine is a clusterfuck, of course, but that's a given if you need a browser that can handle the modern web. The things wrapped around the rendering engine are simple enough that you can get a reasonably accurate mental model of the browser and stop yourself from running into surprises.
It's a better fit than Firefox, in any case.

Debian is not minimal.
Xfce is not very minimal. LXDE is more minimal.
A terminal is not a file manager. Learn the difference between a terminal and a shell. This is embarassing.
Vim is not minimal. nano is not very minimal either.
Firefox is one of the least minimal programs I use, and I run Emacs and GNOME, among other things. It doesn't belong anywhere near this list.

What?

Replace "minimal" and "minimalism" with "autistic" and "autism".

ranger?
midnight commander?
ls/cd and regex?

Am I the only one not using a file manager, only using regex and basic mv/cp/cd/ls? (and midnight commander if I need to do huge changes). My next level is to be able to use sed/awk very efficiently.

I mostly just use the command line, but I still have a file manager on hand for when I want to just browse pics or videos.

This, real men only use wget and less

ranger is not a terminal, nor is midnight command, nor is ls/cd, nor is the noun regular expression.

kill yourself op

What's wrong with that?
Its a gud thread

systemd

you are a joke
twm is better than fvwm

It's written in fucking Python with QtWebengine as the engine. Of course it's nowhere near minimalism. Minimalism is links or netsurf, currently.

You need a rendering engine like that to deal with the modern web. You don't always have a choice.
Python is bad if your reason for minimalism is resource usage, but it doesn't hurt if it's about keeping the programs themselves simple.

Just use chrome for all of them :^)

is xUbuntu any good? I wanna play vidya while not using kikerosoft

Anyone know how to play youtube videos with netsurf? I've seen a few people do it with ffplay on a amiga but have no idea how.

I'd recommend sxiv over feh cuz you can see animated .gifs with it.

That's what tmux is for.

Ctrl+Alt+F2 (on Linux) and tmux both have scrollback buffers.

No shit it's not a fucking terminal.
What a fucking dumbass. I was assuming the guy was making a mistake, because pointing out that it's no terminal is monstrously retarded.

The ultimate autismposting setup. X is for normalfags.

i use manjaro gnome and i'm saying here faggot

dvtm looks pretty good

Here are some suggestions:
alpine -> mu4e
vim -> emacs
links -> w3m

He'd be lacking a decent text editor then.
Only useful for the novelty of having images, otherwise shitty.

Why links over elinks?

This thread is people comparing dicks, and claiming theirs is smallest.
I use Ubuntu now that their back to Gnome.

That's why I suggested to from a nondecent text editor over to emacs.
It is also useful for when you want have html content and you can just pipe it through w3m to get the output. Links does not support doing this unless you want to write that content to a file first.

suckless is shit. slock is garbage. niggers cant even make a screen locker right, but i guess you can't blame them, it's hard to make one in the context of X11

dmenu is shit, it takes up to a second to load, it should not take more than 1ms. if that requires it being always running it's worth the trade off.

feh is the best image viewer i know for linux though

terminal is not only a bloated protocol but an ineffective set of constructs (escapes, modes, etc). you cannot implement it without bloat

pcmanfm is slow as fuck and crashes if you do anything that involves concurrency. i'm actually using it again right now because i can't find a better GUI file manager :'(

firefox is a mobile-first app to run on your Smart TV complete with news feeds, cloud sync, geopositioning, new super advanced notification bubble APIs, DRM, some strange politically correct selection of video formats, native Twitch streaming, graphics APIs, etc. run by a Non Profit Orginization focused on black rights. it's very similar to Windows 10. who the fuck thought it was a good idea to give text documents access to your graphics API (even through a "protected" interface)???

the web is intrinsically bloated. it's like PDF or Flash. a stupid media kiddy protocol made for corporations to transmit their AIDS through. Links in graphics mode is the best browser but it doesn't work on all sites

it's actually very useful. these threads helped me find mpv after years of painfully putting up with vlc

By 57.0 yeah, it's rotten through and through.
It wasn't, but first Mactards turned GUI into something to their taste, then backward compatibility began to sag.

In urxvt's case, multiple loaded fonts and libperl. The daemon is there to hide its bloat.

It shouldn't take that long. It takes a second to load only when it's generating ~/.cache/dmenu_run.

eww the bloat.

devuan

why not simply using gnus?
Don't understand what mu4e have more than gnus.

eww is the new emacs browser. w3m is totaly outdated.

B L O A T

Then you have more/less. Just use the patch, you retarded fuck.

I just verified; you can't display pictures in tty from emacs.

Moreover, you can use an extremly lightweight wm, just to display basic windows. You don't need anything bloated.
By the way, I tested w3m with pics in the tty, and it's truly unusuable. It's disgusting. But it's not like you need them to consult important stuff or documentation. I guess you need them to shitpost. Too bad you can't.

I wasn't able to get it set up so I went with mu4e which was much easier to get working.
Also doesn't gnus freeze the editor when it is fetching your mail?

But will it run crysis?

Yeah I'm the retarded one

Yeah, you have to wait. But I guess, I have to search, you can open the buffers in the background, like for ERC. But I don't know how to do it for gnus.
Maybe it's better to use elfeed for rss and mu4e for email, and not gnus for everything, especially if you don't use usenet.

I guess with gnus you could just have it update when you want to read your email. Right now I have mu4e set to update every 5 minutes and it does so in the background.
I currently use newsbeater for my rss reader, but I would prefer to have something for emacs. If I were to use elfeed I would probably need to figure out how to redefine the browse-url function so that it would open certain links with mpv instead of a normal web browser.

Not just scrollback but tabs, panels and more.

I wish there was some file manager that used just pure X libraries without those bloated toolkits like GTK and QT and provided image and video thumbnails out of the box.
I was thinking about writing one but it is just too much hassle.

I wanna switch from Trisquel to Gentoo, but Gentoo never allows me root privileges when I boot from a live usb.
Is this because I'm booting from a usb or is there something I'm missing?

Do "su" and "sudo -i" both fail?

Did you try just logging in as root? The password is probably like "toor" or something.

I have not tried either of these solutions (it was a while back too) I will this time though thanks

It boots automatically in root for me...

Is Iridium browser bloat?
Is terminator bloat?

Yes, very. It's the special kind of bloat that's low on actual features.
Relatively.

Don't use this to guide your software choices. If you need to ask it's irrelevant. Figure out why bloat is bad, and then maybe drop software that's bad in ways that are caused by bloat.

until it breaks of course

Feh is only useful for setting the background.
How good is mc? I've heard it's a good programm to quickly do file management while keeping the command line open, but the fucking emacs keybinds kill me.
Any file manager that's good enough to handle picking out images from a folder to upload them to a site, but more minimal than pcmanfm?

apt can be a bitch, but overall it's decent.

Pic related. fun things are fun

Also, doesn't your browser have an upload window? Why would you need a separate file manager?

You jest, but soon you will be able to play videos using VLC straight from the virtual terminal/tty. So yea it's fucking bloat.

mpv -vo=drm

mc is superior to ranger, especially if you have to do huge file management/transfer.

never heard of the frambuffer?
You already can look at pdf, watch videos etc.. from the tty.

Your last question is retarded.

smartOS

nice bloat

Examples? I've never really used it, it looks like ranger but blue and with dual panels.

WMs and DEs are for Niggers and bloated gay people

White men just use screen and only small terminal based applications

More minimal alternative with bonus that it can be run in terminal: ranger.github.io/

I just finished setting all my stuff up in elfeed. I hadn't done much elisp before, but I learned enough to set up a custom browse-url function which can intelligently chose what program to open the link up in.
What's pretty awesome is now I can just do C-c y to open up all my unwatched youtube videos in mpv.

Anyone tried Budgie?

I should have just posted in here but i made a thread about it so i would get more replies...

You should have posted it in the tech support sticky.

i will post it there too......

To be honest Linux wifi configuration is a hot mess.

In OpenBSD you just use ifconfig, no fucking around with NetworkManager/wicd/Conman/wpa_supplicant/whatever-it-is-this-month.

look at me
i use sage
that means i am above you, in a moral way, and also in a cool way
i use sage to show my devotion to seriousposting

sage negated

Not nearly as bad as FreeBSD's though. Openbsd does have the best by far.

Where does Windows 10 rate on this scale?

Dynamic linking is the fucking DEVIL'S HANDIWORK.

Is there a such thing as a suckless compositor? I have to acquiesce to using compton because I don't think there's a better option...

mg is the best text editor.

The only suckless compositor is no compositor.

No no no.

You are right

They are moar right

bait but whatever
I've been using debian since 2004 and I'm migrating away from it in the past five years it has become so bloated that I need to reinstall it at least once pear year, after trying lots of distros in production I'm choosing gentoo, even tho gentoo in my opinion should get a better support for people who don't want non-free shit/blobs from the beginning and also a of the network install, my second choice would be to let redhat manage shit but I don't like that.

Gentoo has the best support for avoiding nonfree packages. Add USE="deblob" and ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @free" in /etc/portage/make.conf

It's actually shit, and I plan on adding some stuf by myself to it (mainly customizable tab width, a way to know here the mark is and key sequences binding).

bloat

why?

how did you become so brainwashed?

no u

I keep switching between st and xfce4-term. Both are the same, I only give xfceterm preference coz it has an option to save all recent history

I just have political and philosophical beliefs that I stand by. How is that being brainwashed?

wiki.musl-libc.org/alternatives.html has a decent list.

This isn't supposed to be minimalist, right?

Its not, its what helps make me be most comfortable and productive

Debian is bloated? Even with a full DE (Xfce) and non-free software, my system barely uses 300mb of RAM with nothing going on.

With crapware running I barely use 1GB and stuff is pretty snappy, too.

I am running it with Xfce too, and it takes 240 mb. I could easily get it under 200 mb if I wanted. Not autismo enough to spend any more time on it though.

This thread is bloat. You should delete it.

gng.z505.com/cult.htm

top kek. thanks for the lol

Gentoo
Enlightenment
Enlightenment
Enlightenment
Enlightenment
Enlightenment
Enlightenment
Enlightenment

I use Emacs for everything else

I've never donated to GNU. That is, however, one of the most inane pages I've ever read on the web

back to cuckchan g pee el ee aye ess ee

stallman is jewish, what do you expect?

st is supposed to be used with tmux

the cloverOS meme distro started here you retard

surf is a great web browser.

WM: fvwm

The modern incarnation is being forced on /g/ and Holla Forums simultaneously. The original trainwreck was on /g/ and predated Holla Forums by a few months.

I sincerely hope that isn't your screenshot. Please leave and don't come back.

CloverOS is just the Gentoo General OP's setup put into an iso.

IRC rizon #/g/minimal

It does

No thanks.

qutebrowser is comfy if you like vim.

You would be better off with Plan 9 instead of a handful of trivial suckless programs running on bloated OS like Linux/BSD.

Dynamic linking is simpler than static linking. UNIX can't do static linking properly, so expecting dynamic linking to work is out of the question.

C and UNIX (they say) are designed for theprogrammer who likes things "terse" and quick. That's whythe commands are 2 or 3 character names like "ls" and"awk". That's all fine with me, but what really boggles mymind a little bit is the C compiler/environment. Nowadays we have ANSI C, which is intended to solvesome of the problems with C. Well, one of the big problemswith C that ANSI C "solves" is function parameter callmismatches. It *FORCES* you to pre-declare functions andtheir parameters before you use them, and it checks to makesure that you're handing it the right thing if you invokeit. Well, actually, it will accept any random joe bob dataif you use this wonderful thing called a "cast" which letsyou tell the compiler, "sure that string is really an IEEEfloating point number. go use it. don't bother to try toconvert it to anything first." But casts aren't what we'rehere to talk about today, - we're here to talk aboutfunction prototyping and how it is good for you. It's surprising, really, that C, a languagedeveloped in the heady, terse UNIX environment wouldincorporate something like function prototypes. It's a lotof extra typing. Worse, it makes the programmer do extrawork to generate reasonably correct code.* I've always beenamazed that the scrotty-bearded UNIX gurus out on the nethaven't done everything they could to kill this awful wasteof keystrokes. Think of the bandwidth savings in usenetsource postings alone, if function prototypes were removed! Of course the most amazing thing about functionprototypes that everyone overlooks is that a DECENTenvironment, with a decent compiler and linker, would beable to check all that stuff at link time! There's nothingwrong with C as it was originally designed, it's just thatnobody thought to have link-type parameter checking builtinto the compilation environment. Rather than someoneputting all that work into the linker (what, a few months?)we have a language standard that forces every user toperform the job of link editor in their head. Great. Andit's becoming the lingua franca of programming in the 90s.It's grimly amusing to note that UNIX, the cradle of C as itwere, lags hopelessly behind DOS in the quality of Cprogramming environments, with the notable exception ofSaber-C. Saber-C is another unusual case, however, since itgives you a NICE environment, with compile and link errorchecking, runtime error checking, and so on, and when youwant to actually generate an executable....? You're on yourown and you're back to using the outdated piece of shitcompiler the vendor gives you with your system - adescendant of the original 'pcc' or some similarabomination, hacked on by generations of grad students ontheir way to guruhood. Or you can use gcc, if you have thetime, the MIPS, and the disk space, and can tolerate itslittle foibles. The crowning glory of it all is C++, the birthplaceof function prototypes. Function prototypes must have beenimplemented the way they were because it was easier for thecompiler writer to get all the parameters before starting toparse the function, rather than having to figure them out inthe ensuing lines. When a language is bent, twisted, andmalformed to save the compiler writer a bit of effort,you've got to wonder why the guy's writing compilers in thefirst place. Now, C++ could really use a decent compilationenvironment, with link time name resolution. ButNnnnnoooooOOOOOOO, rather than "do it right" some late nightcaffeine and taco fever nightmare scheme was concoctedwhereby symbols get transformed into DES-encrypted dog vomitand back. C++ is heading for standardization. All of thishappened because nobody wanted to put a few hooks for typechecking in their linker and object file format. I thinkthere's a lesson in all this, but I'm damned if I can seeit.*The story of the programmer who wrote all his functionprototypes to accept (char *) and cast everything to (char*) before calling any function is pure fiction. Really.

Same thing was posted to /g/ 2 fucking days ago

z505.com/cgi-bin/qkcont/qkcont.cgi?p=Just use LS For Everything

Reminder that the latest KDE Neon idles at less CPU and RAM consumption than my riced i3-gaps.

I'm sorry, are those meme arrows your pathetic excuse for a mainstream full-blown desktop environment being lighter than your muh minimalism autistic piece of shit?

Great source you got there.

It's true, though. Very close, but still. KDE is making great improvements.

My unriced non-gaps i3 idles at 0% CPU and uses 2 MiB of memory.

Prove it. Post screenshots.

Nope. Feel free to not believe me or try for you're self. See if I care.
stop bumping a dead thread. nobody cares about this autism

ok

I do that too.

I replaced systemd with sysvinit and removed pulseaudio

ebay.com/itm/RCA-10-034-Windows-Tablet-with-Detachable-Keyboard-parts-or-repair-/142660757419?nma=true&si=kHIIAI0%2FVApi4I45ZjZaZ%2BZuk5M%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

+1 for artix

The fug is that wooden-looking thing on the lower right corner?

Now this is an ugly setup if I've ever seen one. 0/10.

protip: kill yourself. nobody cares

I don't seed any BSDs on there. Last time I checked, none of the GUN/Linuxes could run at 500mb (the Gentoo kernel is averaged at 500mb). While it's a regular occurence for NetBSD and OpenBSD to have 500mb, when combining all non-swap partitions.
More like cwm, fvwm, twm, bspwm, ratpoison/stumpwm.
There's no such thing as a minimal browser. Maybe a minimal HTML/CSS renderer, but not a browser.
I don't know the differences here, what's better?

Gentoo's stage3 is way under 500mb

The miracles of compression, no?

Aw fuck, excuse me I'm retarded. I meant it's packed in a tarball so download sizes aren't indicative of the final install size.

stumpwm is far from minimal. It's nice and expendable, but not minimal.

Herbstluftwm is also really light on resources.

What criterion are you using? I just checked the decompressed file size and it clocks in at 900kb.

A --variant=minbase debootstrapped Debian Stable is 174 MB. A kernel should add about 200 MB according to the installed size of the one I use, but you could get that down by building your own.

My gentoo kernel Slab is 373mb and the initrd is 1.6mb. And this is after 8h of doing whatever.

I have been proven wrong.

Retard.
No.
I guess that's true for an audio file player, but not for a music library one.
No I use it, but since a few days, vifm supports Miller columns.
Zsh is comfy but bloated, man. Say mksh or dash -E, at least.
Emacs is supremely bloated, even if good.
Netsurf.
st.suckless.org/

xterm is bloated and unmaintainable. Here’s an excerpt from the README:

Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here

This is undoubtedly the most ugly program in the distribution. It was one of
the first "serious" programs ported, and still has a lot of historical baggage.
Ideally, there would be a general tty widget and then vt102 and tek4014
subwidgets so that they could be used in other programs. We are trying to
clean things up as we go, but there is still a lot of work to do.

Needless to say things have not changed, it’s still ugly. It has over 65K lines of code and emulates obscure and obsolete terminals you will never need.

The popular alternative, rxvt has only 32K lines of code. This is just too much for something as simple as a terminal emulator; it’s yet another example of
code complexity.

Terminal emulation doesn’t need to be so complex.

263M /lib/modules/4.14.15-gentoo8.4M /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.15-gentoo7.2M /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.15-gentoo2.9M /boot/System.map-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.15-gentoo

rxvt doesn't work well with n/f/o BSD thru SSH and this is why I use xfce4-term most times.

autism general

How many autism points do I get for simultaneously complaining that people are posting bloat and that bloat is actually good

>bBut does it have built-in tabs?
Gottem mixed up, meant to say fish as a file manager alternative.
Only the GUI ones. no_x11 is fast and slim.
Unless it got a fully functioning JS addition, it's still an over-glorified HTML/CSS renderer.
I see.

Autism is bloat.

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software for GNU/Linux.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery
- Smaller attack surface

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

alpinelinux.org

voidlinux.eu

gnu.org/software/guix/

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

debian.org/CD/netinst/
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get

suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you.

You must have a very shaky understanding of what bloat is if you think text-mode Emacs isn't bloated.

I must. Please enlighten me.

High levels of homosexuality going on that pic.

You're using a text editor that can do windowing, launch a terminal emulator inside, have builtin games and a fucking psychologist. Everything mentioned before being written in a slow and dedicated interpreted language, as the cherry on the cake. I really hope you're:
1) Not talking about GNU Emacs, but something like mg.
2) Retarded.
If only there was a better mg (key sequence binding, mark highlighting and modifiable tab width).

GNO. The anime is quite bad, though.

I hope you're joking
5.0M /lib/modules/4.14.15-gentoo/107K /boot/config-4.14.15-gentoo2.6M /boot/System.map-4.14.15-gentoo8.1M /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.15-gentoo

Put some cloveros on that, Jesus

Sadly, best girl from worst vn/anime/vidya.

Among other things, Emacs contains:
- An original dialect of Lisp
- A HTML renderer
- An ANSI-conforming terminal emulator
- Two parser generators
- An implementation of Unix man for when Unix's man is unavailable, called "woman" for "without man"
- A Plan 9-like shell, including a few basic unix utilities and a portable implementation of piping
- A sort of document markup language for note keeping and time management, which has been used to write books
- An input mode that converts TeX symbol identifiers to the corresponding Unicode as you type, with real-time preview and suggestions
- Multiple(!) IRC clients
- A somewhat clever text adventure game
- A psychotherapist
- Tetris
At least one person reading this is going to think I'm making some of these up, or exaggerating them by not mentioning that they're third-party extensions or that they let external processes do the heavy lifting. I'm not.

I really, really like Emacs.

#2. I was blowing air out of my ass and forgot all of the dependencies GNU emacs needs. Please forgive my transgressions.
mg actually looks pretty cool and I've been getting sick of all of these ""features"" in emacs

I was surprised when I figured out it could read PDF

The minimalist "movement" disgusts me. Here we have a bunch of fucktards who can't program telling people that their inability to make something good is actually a benefit for the users.

Only if you can't program.

Some shitty OC i made because i was bored

mmhhh... go on.

I might have seen the first pic somewhere already...

debiru_medal.png

It's proportional to code quality, not size. These fucktards don't know how to make good code, so they advertise by saying a small turd in the punch bowl is better than a large turd, but they don't want you thinking about no turd. When there is no turd, a larger program means more punch.

It's an Archfag prepping himself for the systemdick. ArchInANutshell.png

What is Alpine Linux

A distro that doesn't fulfill all requirements listed in that post.

O P T I O N A L
P
T
I
O
N
A
L

Gentoo
Linux 4.14.15-gentoo tailored to my specific hardware, very minimal
OpenRC including openrc-init
NetworkManager + dhclient + wpa_supplicant
KDE Plasma
JACK and PulseAudio
Perfect Gentleman's Chromium
vim with powerline
Konsole
zsh with zprezto
Konversation for IRC, a custom chromium app for Discard
F2FS
15 seconds from power button to Plasma fully loaded up

I'm too depressed and unmotivated to give a shit about software elitism anymore.
I'll grab whatever's fast and uses as few resources as possible while having the features I need. If I'm using something bloated then it means I haven't given a fuck in a while

that's called becoming an adult, user.

that's hot

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned that alpine is infected alpinelinux.org/community/code-of-conduct.html

This tbh.

yo, ubuntu is still new as fuck in human years

I have an old laptop that I'll want to install Gentoo on and learn Linux stuff the proper way. That includes start learning vim properly, networking stuff, kernel hardening, etc. I know it's not LFS, but it's close enough. For the moment, I want to use the following:

Any other software suggestions?

Xterm (surprisingly) is lighter than st for regular terminal interactions.
Elinks instead of lynx (w3m no pls go away), if you don't want to slide back into depressive introspection.

I thought st/urxvt were lighter than xterm?...

just upgraded to 4.15.0

Fuck. I'll switch to Gentoo on my torrent box.

They were suppoed to be, but there was a benchmark thread rolling around on Reddit and found that xterm performed the best (except for when it was doing shit like vim) out of all the emulators. St and urxvt were lightweight, but really far off from xterm. Gnome did better than KDE.

By which metric? Speed, or latency?
Latency while doing tricky vimoid things might be the most important.

Latency. 8ch.net/tech/res/834803.html#q860115

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180118.iso

CloverOS with Linux 4.15.0 and GCC 7.3.0

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180130.iso

Well, source m8.

Go back to Twitter, chiru.

I thought I pasted the link, but Qutebrowser fucked up. reddit.com/r/linux/comments/776e2l/terminal_and_shell_performance/

Honestly, the results look bogus.

urxvt has a daemon mode so all your terminals will use close to 1 process worth of ram

Konsole can do this too

It's deprecated

pkg_add rxvt-unicodeCan't find rxvt-unicdeObsolete package: rxvt-unicide (no longer maintained and full of security holes)
WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS?

How did you spell the package name in three different ways? Did you manually type it over?

non-emacs terminals btfo

Yes, my browser doesn't support the kill-ring (or autocorrect), and I don't know how to copy something in xterm without highlighting text.

When were you when the fastest terminal is emacs

Just install Debian netinst + the DE you like if you want minimalism, ignore the /g/entoo shit and void meme, use a real distro

Disabling recommended packages is vital for a minimalist(tm) Debian. Don't omit that.
It can get nowhere near as minimalist as Alpine, and even Void has plenty to offer in this area that Debian can't. I think you can make an informed choice for them, but 80% of /g//Holla Forums-type jerking off about minimalism isn't informed.

I was today

your post gave me cancer in the good way
thanks for existing

I would like to recommend pass as a password manager. It uses the filesystem to organise passwords (dirs in pass are actual dirs with a file for every password), gpg to encrypt, git to version control. passwordstore.org/

no thanks

sxiv is fucking awesome

it's perfect for a keyboard workflow
the only bummer is that it doesn't allow you to set the wallpaper like feh. i keep feh on hand just for that, and modify ~/.fehbg. there's probably a better way.

hsetroot

Shilling for my simple manga reader github.com/Q3CPMA/sxiv-manga-reader

perfect. thank you

opinions on spectrwm?

I tried it some time ago while leaving i3. I definitely don't like manual tiling; bspwm became my new home.

spectrwm is like dwm, but not minimal to the point of being dysfunctional.

also forgot one of my favorite features:
very good for browser when it's the only window on the workspace and you don't want it to fill the whole screen, or for simple 2-minute terminal things where 80x24 is less cumbersome

bspwm is on my list of wms to try. looks really cool.
i don't know why i3 dominated the tiling wm discussion in the last few years. it doesn't seem so good to me, but i haven't used it extensively. being 'greeted' by a popup dialog to setup the config was a bad first impression.
probably the unixporn effect

exactly. it has everything I need, and nothing else. that's really impressive in terms of design.

Whether it's minimalistic or not is up to how you configure it. It can be a Gnome 3+++ bloatfest, you can choose not to use an X window at all, or you can use something inbetween like FVWM. Installing/upgrading GuixSD without an internet connection is difficult, but from what I understand, possible. Read moar here: gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/System-Configuration.html#System-Configuration

Metadata is bloat, why are there not more music players that use file structure for library management? Fucking sitting here for 20 minutes waiting for this piece of shit Rhythmbox to "import" my songs.

Is the issue that you're waiting for your music manager to parse all the metadata tags or that there aren't any tags for it to read? For the former, doesn't it make sense that it caches your tags initially? In doing so, you get a much deeper scope of criteria to search for and display which is appealing to a broader scope of people, and it scales better than using just using your directory tree. For the latter, you should look into beets.

Does small=minimal?

Gentoo for my own personal machine, and GuixSD for a reproducible enviroment and configs (so I can access the same environment anywhere, whether it be a new PC or a VM).

I don't ever see a need for doing anything else.

s1mple, because we dont want to deal with the hundreds of problems that derive from having an excesive big mess like linux can be with too much useless shit.
And personally, because minimalist software ended to be more productive to me in the long run (specially i3) so i dont have to loose work performance "just" because i have to do extra click or because some silly package doesnt works as it should X day

Why did you post that image?

found the tinfoilnigger

lol no

how is it not

try ratpoison instead.

Small is about program size. Minimal is about program functionality.

Small programs come from good programmers who do extra work optimizing and finding patterns in their code. Minimal programs come from bad programmers who do not think that's possible.

If you optimize a program and reduce the size by 50% without removing any functionality, you made it smaller but didn't make it more minimal.

if you're taking out half the program size you're either a retard who made it shitty to begin with or you're writing obfuscated garbage no one will be able to maintain.

But sxiv can't delete the spidermans!

wew

ratpoison has shit multi monitor support I need i3

nice meem
i go for the full install whenever i can. whether it be debian or slackware i'm getting everything.

bspwm has good multimonitor support.
The one thing it doesn't support which i3 does, is being able to assign desktop numbers that are not all continuous. This can be fixed visually by changing the shortcuts and name of the desktops in the config if you really need them.
There was also a problem with making sticky floating windows fullscreen to the correct monitor, but I got that fixed upstream last night.

But do you use everything?

all of the distros you've listed are fucking garbage for daily usage

compiling is slow on older machines and on newer machines speed improvement of compiled software is undetectable
old as fuck packages. who would use this shit as a desktop os? only good for servers
decent overall but a bit slow and buggy. why use this over a decent rolling release distro like solus or tumbleweed?
IT ADVERTISES ITSELF AS A FUCKING SERVER DISTRO, WHO WOULD USE THIS?

good meme OP but go back to 4chins with this shit

sure thing kiddo

lisp-infected pile of shit, use stumpwm, it's made by the same guy who agrees it's better in literally every way

poettering pls

Yeah, but it lets you do things like writing a path to remove keepassxc's dependency on dbus which upstream won't do because it would break a feature from working on ubuntu.

No thanks.

who gives a fuck if it's great code?

My sides are gone

Can you elaborate? I haven't looked at systemd's code.

< herp derp it didn't dance around shitty MSI hardware issues so it bricked itself

when will you learn that monolithic kernels have a wide attack surface and are thus bloated. nibbas be complaining about systemD when their kernel is 60m lines of code

Mono kernel runs much faster though. And for all its attack surface, there quite a few attacks that actually happen despite all of that being open source.

careful poettering, we know where you live

Tired minimalism:

Wired minimalism:

t. retard who use precompiled kernels with everything builtin

Pick one.

muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/

I enjoy what modern computers can do and how easy it is to get them to do it, but I do miss the days when that was the norm.

Holy fucking shit I didn't think this kind of stuff even existed anymore.

Same. file managers are too too hard for me now.

minimalism refers to things like rm, cp, mv, ls, cat, grep, vi, du, df, wc, tar, ps, w, tr, tac, od, pwd, awk, sed, ed, su, sudo, ln, dd, col, chmod, bc, nl, vim, nex, ex, top, nvi, nc

Nice try but you can't sneaky that in there.
Also the rest of those standard unix utils are only minimal in you don't use the gnu ones.

What the fuck is the point of lynx if you fall back to SeaMonkey? This post is basically /minimalism/ in a nutshell; you'll literally use three times the space just so that you get the bragging rights for using some obtuse, shitty, pseudosolution, and when push comes to shove you fall right back to bloat incarnate.

ebin

We can make it happen again. These cancerous protusions in programs are caused by libraries, abstraction and portability. Low level programming is good for the soul.

Yes. That's a real fucking website. One with a point to make, a real message to pass on. No huge faggot ass background images that assumes resolutions. No cancerous javascript frameworks to make the page needlessly dynamic to the point it breaks if it's disabled. No external calls to load soyboy fonts just to display the fucking title. It's just you and the fucking tutorial on how to kick libc to the curb and start really using the Linux kernel.

A dying breed, indeed.

Please.

man.openbsd.org/doas

One of the main points of minimalism is "many ways to do the same thing" And that's why vi, nview, view, nex, ex, nvi are good examples of minimalism.

Yes but vi/nvi/etc != vim.
Vim is the opposite of minimal.

t. Perltard

That website gave me autism & AIDS

You really need to get some perspective here. nvi 458k, vim 2.5mb. This is what you are arguing about.

Then post a single counter example.

Bloated compared to what?

Anyone who's never seen the FSF literally take over a project will never understand how cult-like free software is. Not even Torvalds takes him seriously.

that one's even worse

I understand what I'm arguing about. Does nvi have a built in interpreter for the one of the worst abominations of a scripting language ever conceived? Bloat has nothing to do with binary size (though there is a direct correlation) its about how many completely useless features the program has on top of what it's primary function is.

in·ane
adj. in·an·er, in·an·est
Lacking sense or substance: interrupting with inane comments; angry with my inane roommate.

Have you ever seen Stallman? He doesn't run around in a fancy car. His shirts are normally a single color or otherwise ornamental styles from Indonesia. He's stated that he lives like a poor student and he actually lives like one. He's also stated that all the excess money he receives goes straight into the FSF.

Stallman doesn't live like a student, he lives like a fucking hobo. The man is basically Diogenes.

My sides.

That fat kike really doesn't deserve to be compared to Diogenes. Diogenes did what he did because he was living his philosophy. Stallman does what he does because he's a fucking autistic.

No. There is no reason to believe Stallman is doing this because he has failed to acquire other means of income or housing. He prefers to live this way. Stallman likely is autistic, but he's also a genius, and you will never, ever, ever affect the world in a positive way the way he did. Kill yourself.

It's literally two three-sentence paragraphs, you illiterate. No one's laughing with you; we're all laughing at you.

There's plenty more at his website. Laugh at yourself dumb fuck.

Autism is can be a philosophy. He can be so autistic, he actually turns into a chad, sometimes, like when he btfo'd Leah.

Just because he's blatantly wrong doesn't mean it justifies your Stallmanite ideology.

Literally who

I'm having a good enough time laughing at your grammar, "dumb fuck". Or your logic. You try to associate take an example and use it to justify your weird, pathetic, anti-intellectual convictions, and when you get called out, you're too lazy to even cherry pick the evidence necessary to warrant your claims.

I like mine. Personally I use a DE primarily as a terminal multiplexer and I frequently find myself uninstalling unneeded libraries. I hate all these blaoted libraries, especially the disgust that is Gnome.

Leah "Lesbian" Libreboot, the cute, huggable mascot of the Free Software Foundation.

I bet you brag about your supposedly high IQ, for which you've never been tested, lol. Where's your diploma form Harvard, retard? Where's your contribution to any software movement, much less one centered around users?

D-did you mean to quotelink me instead?

Stallman isn't a communist, and the parrot/flower fucking was a joke. I get that you're so autistic that you don't even get that, but please spare the rest of us from your retardation. Also, attacking your grammar is valid if you're pretending to be some sort of super smart guy that's able to look down on someone like rms, who as previously stated, is a fucking certified genius.

I don't know which is worse--you or the guy you're arguing with. Both of you are petty and misguided, by the way, for even arguing about Stallman's authority in the first place like it's something that matters.

I'm not saying Stallman is some kind of authority. I'm simply disagreeing with the characterization of rms as someone who can't take care of himself or is living a lifestyle that he himself did not choose due to autism or other kind of incompetence. Richard Stallman is not only smart, he's a literal genius, above and beyond basically anyone posting on this board. The amount of hubris required to declare him too incompetent to live as they do, instead of realizing that this is the way he chooses to live his life, is just unbelievable and insulting to me.
To summarize: I do not think rms is an authority on anything, I think his arguments speak for themselves, and I do not agree 100% because of differing values.
I do think he is not only smart, but that he's a genius, and that he lives the way he does on purpose, not by accident.

I don't even know how to respond that. You really are a Stallmanite, and you aren't even apologetic. His personality and actions are two completely different things, and I don't think there's a strand of logic that can justify idolizing him like that; you might be compensating for something in your own life.

I guess that's what the FSF donations are being used for these days.

My fucking sides

Nobody is idolizing him. It's a fact that he's smarter than the average bear, way smarter. I have my disagreements with him, but respect where it's due.

At least I'm not intimidated by literally kindergarten-level paragraphs like it's some kind of "formal publication". This is the state of 8ch, everyone.

Probably a mobile browser. They seem to be afraid of reading.

What are you on about? Does Stallman shit in the woods?

lmgtfy.com/?q=smarter than the average bear

I get it, you're underage and can't into idoms because you're a retard.

Oh.

I'm just amused, brainlets. His articles are amusing. Part of it is due to the autistic, rambling manner in which they're written. They go on and on about matters no normal functioning person has any trouble with; matters only autistic people need explained. He goes out of his way to, for example, mention and explain the reasoning behind the fact that he won't refuse to touch computers with proprietary software installed on them, as if he was trying to resolve some deep cognitive dissonance within his own mind. The texts literally tell people to avoid modern technology because of ethical concerns. Because everyone wants to become a poor fat autophagous communist who lives off of donations just like him, right? He's no better than the idiotic animal rights activist he shut down in a debate a few threads below this one.

It boggles the mind how you people idolize some church man who doesn't even hack anymore and is basically on his way out of the spotlight. His "movement" is literally dying. Nobody uses GPL anymore; it's shit and nobody takes it seriously anymore. Everyone would rather be making shit loads of money by using their BSD-licensed software at work. You brainlets who don't understand how out of touch this man is need to realize he started hacking during a time when the unixes were many, architectures were multiple, sources were scarce and users were actual engineers who could write their own printer drivers. Absolutely none of those factors apply today. Now it's all about leveraging commoditized software and making shit loads of money using it. His religion helps absolutely no one today, it's no wonder he's losing followers. His entire worldview is built around and for 80s hackers who were oppressed by the evil Unix vendor overlords, what with all the proprietary source code and paid POSIX tools he didn't have money for. The mental contortions rms has performed in order to try to keep up with the times is just hilarious. The GPL gets longer and longer with each autistic fit of his. It's extremely entertaining.

I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did that. My sides.

And here it is. The retard reveals why he is so adamant in misrepresenting rms. He just loves cuck licenses.

I think we're through here. Cucks like you can't be reasoned with.

Wow, you are butthurt.

I wasn't even criticizing you for disliking Stallman. I was just calling you a moron for being scared of teensy-tiny paragraphs. You're the one who just assumed that I was attacking you like a delusional Stallmanite. That's your fault for being so dishonest with yourself. Your prose needs work. You write like a middleschooler trying to parrot what their parrents say. And it's especially embarrassing considering the obvious fact that you're trying to backpedal on your insecure remark with an even bigger, more insecure rant.

Nice strawman, famalam.

Somebody got a thesaurus for Christmas!

You're right, though. We know he eats off his foot. I could see him coming up with some convoluted rationale for "recycling" his own spunk, too. Probably into snowballing. Autospermatophagy.

user he's very clearly mentally ill. I'm wondering if you think Terry is living the life he has chosen too.

My sides are receiving a serious workout tonight.

Whatever happened to that logic you freetards used to like so much?

Poverty and misery is exactly what those values will steer you towards, dumb fuck. Only a "genius" could have thought that'd work. Better to be a psychopath who projects a perfectly acceptable personality while perpetrating all sorts of evil behind the back of society.

Oh shit I didn't need that mental image.

You literally took the time to upload three images. I don't even know what to say at this point.

No one said that.

It is.

is there a distro based around suckless rocks?

Shoo shoo

There was stali but it disappeared, like I went on their website one day and it was just gone. I didn't see a mention of it in the mailing lists or anything. There is oasis but it has some poor design decisions. There are a few others but it's probably better to just follow LFS and make your own.

This is really pathetic.

Bad idea. You're wrapping a terminal around a terminal. Let Emacs be its own terminal, run it graphically. You remove a lot of needless abstraction that way, and improve display capabilities, display speed, and input possibilities. Terminals encode keypresses in a really awful way that drops information and makes different keypresses appear the same.

where is devuan?

it was implied

no it isnt

It's all wrong.
Here's what I'd make it:
OS: Gentoo (customized), Alpine, CRUX, LFS, Net/OpenBSD, (if we're allowed to include *BSDs) and 9front (if you're into that sort of thing). AntiX is more up to date than Devuan, so use that instead.
WM: cwm and ratpoison/stumpwm
Video Player: ffplay
Image Viewer: sxiv
File Manager: terminal, or mc (I prefer mc to ranger, but a lot of people like ranger so it's fine too).
Text Editor: ed and nvi (okay, go ahead and use vim).
Shell: ash or ksh
Browser: All are terrible.
Terminal: I use urxvt but I'm sure there are better options (I don't like st).

Sabotage.

+sabotage, SMGL
+bspwm, spectrwm, dwm
ffplay is not supposed to be a full video player, only a reference implementation. mpv is the only good choice.
There's vifm too. Lighter than ranger, but it got tabs and cascading columns recently.
Light emacs implementations like mg/joe/jed are fine too, modalcuck.

There's Morpheus too.

Void. It's the best distro for me, it scores highest for me in that quiz thing and I've tried all the runners up.
dwm only one with a half decent workflow.
mpv, cmus. Music players all seem terrible. foobar is better.
feh
They are all terrible and it's unsolvable. I use ranger but it's a joke in many ways.
vim for larping but I use spacemacs for actual work.
All garbage. Fish is the most usable.
minimal??? I use chrome because firefox has never worked with my hardware.
I used xterm for the longest time. I've been using kitty for the past few days and it's fine. But terminals are a lost cause. Even if someone made some super great terminal I'd still be running the same dog shit commands in it.

Then what the fuck are you trying to say, brainlet? Are you just going to narrate everything I do like an autist who repeats every sounds he hears? Write coherently or stop replying to me.

no u :3

What good is free software if nobody uses it?People refuse to use libraries and tools because they're GPL. Choosing the GPL is a death sentence to your project. People would rather read its source code and reimplement it under BSD than use your software. This has happenend so many times it's not even funny. Not even important things like GCC are safe. The only possible reason people choose GPL nowadays is to "give other free software developers advantages", as preached by Patriarch Stallman. Even that is fallacious, since one of the freedoms he so generously gave away is the freedom to study the software. By knowing how it works, you can produce clean-room copies under your own license. That advantage never exists for long when it comes to anything important.

So you freetards deliberately exclude yourselves from lucrative markets for no reason at all. You people remind me of those monks who refuse to eat anything for long periods of time in order to attain spiritual enlightenment. You restrict yourselves to literal donationware while enabling competing software under different licenses to flourish. That's why GPL doesn't deserve to be taken seriously, not even as a "virus" as the meme goes. The fact is software produced using knowledge gained by studying GPL'd software need not be GPL'd. Don't email rms about that, he might have an autistic meltdown and scramble his lawyers to fix the loophole just like the tivo situation. Let the man hold onto whatever credibility he still has left.

We're in a thread dedicated to eliminating bloat. GNU is one of the biggest offenders in the bloat department. In fact, lots of software posted here only exists because GNU sucks so much it offended the people responsible. The sentiment grows with each day; more and more software spawns under BSD licenses every day while GPL adoption plummets. The days of "GNU/Linux" are counted. That is the heart of the matter. Your "genius" is already forgotten. Nobody cares anymore.

Stopped reading right there. This contradicts reality, and the reality is that GNU/Linux is GPL, most of the well-known and loved projects are GPL, and your cuck license has brought you nothing. If I contribute to a project I expect code back from anyone that uses it. Kill yourself, luser.

[citation needed]

Talk about damage control.

If it's incompatible with your project then of course you are not going to use it. Not everyone agrees with retroactively forcing people to comply with their views.
Though GPLed software is more often avoided because it's typically lower quality.

To be fair, this is true. But mostly among a minority of autists who will literally use proprietary software over the GPL because of "muh BSD" more than any ethical reason. They're more interested in the GPL insofar how minimal it is, and see the (real albeit sparse) consequences of the GPL being deployed in projects like Plan9 and resent that--but for, again, really superficial reasons more than any deep ethical dilemma.

It's kind of amazing that this whole flamewar started from an idle criticism of this guy's fear of paragraphs (ostensibly) and somehow mutated into a glorified shit flinging contest about the gpl spurred on by what I can only assess is some serious insecurity about bsd and its legitimacy.

How is it retroactively forcing people to do anything retroactively if gpl's key characteristic is that said people don't use that software in the first place?

what's your configuration? I'm always off-put by xterm's defaults.

Don't be a gplcuck.

I don't really have one. Just colors in .Xresources. Usually it's the shell that makes things look/be useful. Pic related is fish, dash and bash in xterm.

a properly built kernel would never be that big

congrats on having eyes.

/thread