All urls found in this thread:
https://www.trueos.org
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/bsdl-gpl/article.html
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
http://gng.z505.com/GPL-moving-goal-posts.htm
Juan Lewis
Juan Lewis

cuck license
Although if you're gonna go cuck license, I hear OpenBSD is the best way to go about that.

Matthew Hall
Matthew Hall

Yes.

Owen Foster
Owen Foster

What do you mean by "cuck license"? I'm trying to learn more about BSD OS's.

Jonathan White
Jonathan White

This should sum it up pretty well.

Bentley White
Bentley White

The BSD license allows proprietary redistribution of their software.

Jackson Gray
Jackson Gray

I'm trying to learn more about BSD OS's.

Your in the wrong place. Holla Forums is the cult of the GNU.

Just download and install a few different flavors and read/learn. Don't forget to check out TrueOS.
https://www.trueos.org
TrueOS is FreeBSD optimized for the desktop.

Luis Sullivan
Luis Sullivan

Don't worry about it, it won't mean anything to you as an end user. The complaint is that BSD code can be used in part of a closed sourced proprietary system. That causes a certain autist here to sperg out, even though this guy certainly doesn't contribute to any operating system, and likely cannot even code.

Xavier Davis
Xavier Davis

How does that affect or impact a private user? Say, someone with a personal NAS and personal computer running a BSD OS? How does BSD licensing "enslave" a user? Honestly I wasn't thinking about the license.

James Reyes
James Reyes

It doesn't impact you.

Jason Rivera
Jason Rivera

The Stallman cult is certainly pathological in it's absolute craving for open ended software. Ideological to an extent. I just want a machine that isn't 100% spyware. I get that Stallman wants his software to be totally open, but the vast majority of people aren't looking at source code to build of off applications.

Gavin Gomez
Gavin Gomez

Anyone here use the software? What do you use it for?
That's what I thought. If people are going to do something, they are going to do it anyways.

Evan Barnes
Evan Barnes

Then FreeBSD will be fine for you. If you want to read the arguments against Stallman's philosophy, this is good:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/bsdl-gpl/article.html

I use FreeBSD as a home server.

Gabriel Stewart
Gabriel Stewart

Sweet thanks. I first heard about OpenBSD, but FreeBSD seems like a better starting point in terms of documentation and support in terms of user support and hardware. OpenBSD sounds cool but IDK the OS yet. de Raadt is scary.

Ryan Gray
Ryan Gray

The FreeBSD handbook is absolutely top notch, really there isn't anything like it for another operating system (Maybe a Solaris guy will disagree?)

Jonathan Wood
Jonathan Wood

Glad to here. I'm having it printed. My first foray into Linux was a nightmare because information was so disorganized, poorly delivered, or incomplete. I tried some Arch, then Ubuntu (thinking it would ease the learning curve). Even when I switched to Ubuntu I was still being referred to the Arch wiki since it's the most complete source of info anyone could point me to.

Wyatt Myers
Wyatt Myers

holy shit did you make this? priceless

Colton Diaz
Colton Diaz

FreeBSD's handbook is great. So is OpenBSD's built in man pages.

I enjoy NetBSD classic unix style and use it for a few different random things but the documentation is a total clusterfuck. You have to tinker with it a lot to get things going.

Daniel Moore
Daniel Moore

It's an ancient relic.

Jackson Brown
Jackson Brown

GPL would be much better without all the linking rules, tivoization and other restrictions. Just a software license that protects the four user freedoms and forces all derivative works to be released under the same terms.

Nathan Stewart
Nathan Stewart

OP makes a thread about FreeBSD.
Thread becomes FreeBSD vs OpenBSD
There already is a FreeBSD vs OpenBSD thread

And yes, I use FreeBSD on hardware. Ask me anything.

Hunter Foster
Hunter Foster

What's your favorite food?

Gabriel Bailey
Gabriel Bailey

Плов

Jacob Miller
Jacob Miller

Tits or ass?

Julian White
Julian White

LGPL vs WTFPL: Who is best dad?

Robert Price
Robert Price

The opium smoking yellow asian is the best dad.

Xavier Cooper
Xavier Cooper

that may actually be the worst comparison chart i ever had the misfortune of reading, even as a joke. there's probably a poster out there who thinks this is good and that it should be posted when people ask about the gpl

John Phillips
John Phillips

that's the MPL.

Owen Murphy
Owen Murphy

Tried TruOS on my laptop. Mostly worked, except for the trackpad. I usually use a mouse though. That said, the graphics drivers apart from Nvidia's blob is where Linux was five years ago; performance was lousy with Intel and AMD gpus.

Justin Rivera
Justin Rivera

This is the standard 4chan infographic - a caricature of pure shit.

Owen Edwards
Owen Edwards

Tried FreeBSD for a while, but I eventually switched back to Linux. I'm a heavy user of firejail. There is no similarly simple jailing solution in FreeBSD afaik.

Camden Garcia
Camden Garcia

UNIX and all UNIX-like OSes are abominations.

Isaiah Cook
Isaiah Cook

Name an OS that isn't

Ryder Wilson
Ryder Wilson

both your posts are offtopic

Tried FreeBSD on the laptop and server.
Laptop: Touchpad support is limited (no multitouch, little documentation), KDE takes three times longer to load than on Linux on the same hardware. Chromium is broken, but there's Firefox. One of my external HDDs won't be detected, another only runs on USB 1.0 speed.
Server: Works fine. The community is smaller than most Linux distributions', so naturally some packages are less well maintained. There are much fewer Ansible and Puppet scripts.

Anthony Anderson
Anthony Anderson

GPL is free as in price (you can't make money with GPL'd stuff), BSD license is free as in freedom (you can do whatever you want with BSD licensed stuff). BSD licensed stuff also attracts corporations that actually have the money to audit the code, unlike GPL'd stuff, which only attracts faggots like you, who'll cultish-ly talk about how great it is, but won't contribute a single line of code, let alone audit anything. There's a reason why unpatched security holes lurk in the Linux kernel for an average of 5 - 10 years. Why don't you get off of your fat, lazy ass and actually contribute to an open source project for a change?

Nicholas Garcia
Nicholas Garcia

Oh believe me, there is not "a" poster out there who thinks it's good and that it should be posted when people ask about the GPL, but fucktons of them. George Carlin really wasn't bullshitting when he said that "people are fucking dumb"...

Owen Cruz
Owen Cruz

This.

Levi Morgan
Levi Morgan

you can't make money with GPL'd stuff
You can.

Noah Kelly
Noah Kelly

GPL Section 11 says:
"BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW."
Notice how it says "FREE OF CHARGE"? That means you can't make money from GPL'd stuff.

William Adams
William Adams

"Licensed free of charge" means that nobody has to pay money to use the GPL in their software or to accept its terms (i.e. the license itself is free of charge.) It doesn't mean that the software licensed under the GPL has to be free of charge.

Aaron Kelly
Aaron Kelly

Why does nobody know how to read?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
REEEEEEEEE

Easton Parker
Easton Parker

Why would I want to use FreeBSD on my server instead of Debian?

Lincoln Jenkins
Lincoln Jenkins

That's the MikeeUSA reading, if I remember correctly. It's not the reading anyone uses in the real world. It only means that you don't have to pay to get the GPL to apply, but the GPL only applies in cases where you already have the software in some form.
It's legal to sell a copy of GPL'd software. Stallman used to do it, before he had a better source of income. He'd put his software online and also sell it on tape. And anyone who got the software had the right to make and distribute their own copies.
GPL'd software is sold all the time. At best it's an academic issue, but based on what lawyers say I think it's not an issue at all.

Ian Foster
Ian Foster

BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE
The program is licensed, and the licensing is free of charge.

Michael Jones
Michael Jones

Typical GNUtards, always moving the goalposts...

http://gng.z505.com/GPL-moving-goal-posts.htm

Aaron Taylor
Aaron Taylor

You are confused about what is moving the goalposts my new friend.

Grayson Barnes
Grayson Barnes

10/10 Now this is a real troll.

Eli Sanchez
Eli Sanchez

This was mentioned but I'd definitely try out OpenBSD if you want to run on something with reasonably common like a thinkpad. It's really just a pleasure to use, dead simple and most of what you need is already in base. I used TruOS and it really wasn't for me, that was a long time ago though and I think they've made some progress since I tried it.

You can have a pretty complete install with very little outside of base:

bt| pkg_info -m
ffmpeg-20170825p2 audio/video converter and streamer
firefox-57.0.1 Mozilla web browser
gambit-4.8.8 complete, efficient and reliable implementation of Scheme
heirloom-doctools-160308p1 modernized troff implementation
iwn-firmware-5.11p1 firmware binary images for iwn(4) driver
quirks-2.395 exceptions to pkg_add rules
uvideo-firmware-1.2p2 firmware binary images for uvideo(4) driver
vmm-firmware-1.10.2p4 firmware binary images for vmm(4) driver

Connor Green
Connor Green

If you're Google.

Bentley Thompson
Bentley Thompson

Any service based software can make money off GPL. Any business facing company can make money off GPL by offering customer service, and set-up.

I don't even use GPL, you're just wrong here.

Matthew Peterson
Matthew Peterson

The GPL doesn't say "this license is free of charge", it says "the program is licensed free of charge", meaning that the program is licensed to be free of charge. If it wasn't licensed to be free of charge, it wouldn't say it was.

Carter Cox
Carter Cox

The reason BSDs and especially OpenBSD are secure is not corporate involvement, it's a developer culture dedicated to security, and code quality not shared in linux.

Luke Barnes
Luke Barnes

Try to find any lawyer at all who agrees with you.
Even if that were what the license meant it wouldn't matter because nobody treats it that way in practice.
The FSF explicitly rejects licenses that forbid charging money.

Leo Brooks
Leo Brooks

You're asserting that the GPLv3 forbids the program to be "licensed free of charge". This alone is false. If you want to know the true meaning, you need to include all the other bits of that section. What you're doing is taking the words out of context, what you're doing is lying.

Jordan Cruz
Jordan Cruz

The FSF also lies alot, and they brainwashed you with their doublethink. They do NOT reject licenses that forbid charging money.

Andrew Diaz
Andrew Diaz

No, they brainwashed you into thinking that. The truth is that they don't want anyone charging money for software because they like software to be free as in free beer, not free as in free speech.

Asher Turner
Asher Turner

Sucks to be you. I have no problem developing software under GPLv3 and earning a profit when I license them to people.

Jaxson Fisher
Jaxson Fisher

FreeBSD has difficulties with power management on my laptop, which being a T60 makes me a bit miffed.

Repeated sleep / wake cycles make it unstable. Apparently this is a known issue with FreeBSD on many laptops. It’s a shame because I really like it.

FreeBSD is most at home on servers or desktops, I ran it on my home desktop for many years and it was always rock solid there.

<faggots immediately derail into license bullshit
I hope a dog eats your faces.

Jack Howard
Jack Howard

That's a shitty duke nukem reference.

Easton Richardson
Easton Richardson

Openbsd has the best acpi of any open source os, especially on thinkpads you might want to give it a shot if you're want to run a bsd on a laptop.

Jeremiah Hughes
Jeremiah Hughes

The truth is that they don't want anyone charging money for software
Is this why the FSF used to charge $5k for GNUPro?

Christian Williams
Christian Williams

Yes they do. They considered MAME (which is now LGPL I think) and Alpine to be non-free due to non-commercial clauses in their licenses. So much so, in fact, that they wrote a free replacement for the latter.

Brandon Nelson
Brandon Nelson

Was that really the FSF? I only see Cygnus.

Liam Adams
Liam Adams

Cygnus was a fork of GNU that runs on top of Windows. The FSF sold the GNU OS as the GNU OS.

Eli Smith
Eli Smith

You're thinking of Cygwin, maybe.
Cygnus created Cygwin but also did a lot of non-Windows stuff. It merged with Red Hat.

Luke Morales
Luke Morales

GPL license
free as in free beer/bread
"if you want to share beer/bread you need force make sure they also share beer/bread to others"
commie shit with ambitions impossible at the current age
cult-like pyramid recruitment scheme
reels in donations like cult
impossible to profit as author, forever e-beg donations with your GPL-only e-currency no one ever uses aside from other GPL cultists or implement pro "donation features"
if you profit from GPL either as author or not, the cult leader will rant about your work and those who use it.
hates other licenses when others're just doing their own shit.

BSD license
free as in freedom
"whatever"
no digital restrictions, the only real freedom you'll ever experience in your whole life.
attracts market and employment due to profitablility
"just werks" get paid by top companies
or sell the your own work that is license compatible with most software
patent it and earn royalties

Liam Perez
Liam Perez

I love how every thread I start on Holla Forums turns into a BSD/GPL licensing debate.

Liam Butler
Liam Butler

It's an obvious fault line and the mods ignore it. So shills and shizos will hammer at it to destroy the community whenever they can.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page