Announcing Rust 1.22 (and 1.22.1)

Announcing Rust 1.22 (and 1.22.1)
The Rust team is happy to announce two new versions of Rust, 1.22.0 and 1.22.1. Rust is a systems programming language focused on safety, speed, and concurrency.

I can't be bothered to tl;dr it like I did for v1.21.
blog.rust-lang.org/2017/11/22/Rust-1.22.html

discuss pls

Other urls found in this thread:

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=149078066516233&w=2
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=149081480627985&w=2
github.com/RustIndia/Rust/blob/master/code_of_conduct.md
blog.rust-lang.org/2017/09/05/Rust-2017-Survey-Results.html
community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/631
github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/blob/master/text/2000-const-generics.md
github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues?q=is:open is:issue label:I-unsound sort:created-asc
github.com/rust-lang/rust-roadmap/issues/12
github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/2136
pyropus.ca/software/getmail/faq.html#faq-about-why
twitter.
github.com/lrs-lang
mercurial-scm.org/wiki/OxidationPlan
github.com/facebookexperimental/mononoke
rust-lang.org/en-US/friends.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(programming_language)#Projects_using_Rust
cvedetails.com/product/47/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html?vendor_id=33
redox-os.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why did you make the thread then? What do you expect people will discuss other than same shit over and over. SJW this, ugly syntax that etc etc

Okay here I go then :

>Types that implement Drop are now allowed in const and static items.
let mut x = 2;let y = &8;// this didn't work, but now doesx += y;

So, is Rust basically an unholy mixture of C++ and OCaml without classes ? Not to disrespect the work made by the team since their language seems to start being used in production 4real, but if I need to learn another whole bunch of semantic or syntactic corner-cases to use a C++ alternative, I might as well just use (and learn) C++.

it's only used in production for pozfox because pozfox is filled with blue haired lgqbt+f sjw's who are too incompetent to produce C++ code despite having funding and a big team.

or perhaps their goal (writing memory safe code) is not achievable in C++.

can you name at least 1 big project written in C++ which was never found to have memory corruption bugs? (which often are exploitable)

and remember that a browser is one of the most critical components w.r.t. safety because it will touch random shit all the time.

I really meant this of course. Otherwise it'd be obviously zero chance, because during development this inevitably happens all the time.

Does rust have template mixins??

And that's why browsers shouldn't be running Internet code, in a sandbox or not, no matter what language is used. It was a bad ideal from the start, and just asking for trouble.

Are you defending JS? Seriously?

Browsers should be embedded X11 servers and nothing more.

pozfox only uses it because it's their thing and they're dogfooding it. No better way to get devs to fix its issues than forcing them to endure how nearly unusable for large projects it currently is.

I'll make the logo.

Don't worry, the local rust moron is just obsessed with the word "LARP".

I really really want a language that is safe, fast and offers sane and easy support for multithreading but i am just not convinced that rust delievers on these points.

This is also why there's currently no Firefox port for OpenBSD/arm. The rust toolchain proved to be difficult to bootstrap. They're working on it, but this will take extra time.
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=149078066516233&w=2
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=149081480627985&w=2
Not even sure what the point of rust is, since we've had very well-supported Ada toolchain since 1995 at least. It was good enough for the US DOD and avionics, etc. It surely is good enough for a web browser.

Because it is technology.
I don't. That is why I stopped putting effort into my Rust threads.

You forgot that you are now able to use the ? operator on Options (pretty huge tbh) and also compile time improvements (tremendously huge tbh).

agreed

C/C++ are even worse for large projects.

That is where you are wrong, kiddo!
antisage btw

It's time to stop.webm

It does deliver on all those aspects except sanity. There is nothing sane about Rust.

the point of rust is to have a programming language that's just for non-whites, and mentally ill. that's why their coc explicit states it applies to only to non-whites feelings (in their words "socially marginalized").

The poo-niggers go even further with their CoC
github.com/RustIndia/Rust/blob/master/code_of_conduct.md
I thought this was in the original rust but to their minimal credit it's not, this is a poo special addition.

That was the old Contributor Covenant CoC, IIRC. They eventually had to drop that part because it was way too insane, but some places have not updated it yet.

Stop spreading FUD. blog.rust-lang.org/2017/09/05/Rust-2017-Survey-Results.html

leftists aren't white

Of course, leftists are not true scotsmen.

leftists are anti-white tbh, they hate themselves and want to destroy white race

Rust is great idea until you actually try to work with it,
look at all those dead projects

How do people bare the ugly syntax? Are they coming from another hideous language like Obj-C?

Which?

Can you provide an example? Can you also suggest how to make it better?

what's even the point of having these results? what do you do with it?
also: "language" as some sort of minority. what the fuck man. i won't even comment further on that. another good one: "yes, but i prefer not to specify." What the fuck is the point of answering then? lastly: "older or younger than the average developers i know". yes, and?
marketing research and everything that comes along with it was a mistake. resources blown out of the fucking window.

rust can only be improved if they remove the CoC and klabnik jumps off an overpass. until then i'm never touching it.

it's false consensus in support of "diversity".
"you see guys, it's not just minorities that want this, you do to!"

What part of my post are you replying to???????

Open source is not only about writing code. For large projects, you need many coders, bug reporters, and people who write tutorials and blog posts, because otherwise nobody is going to use your project and it will die. To attract as many talented people* as possible, you need to know your existing user base. Isn't this obvious?

* of course, SJWs are not talented, but they don't know that

Another cult thread.

At least it isn't yet another browser thread

i was more talking about that diversity nonsense in the picture he posted than userbase surveys in general.
alas, if only that minority survey served some purpose. half the answers don't even make sense, could never be verified and/or contain more perceived truth than something that is based in reality. point being: you can't base anything on these answers and the way they set up the question is so incompetent, that you have to ask yourself why they even bothered at all. the answer to that question is likely not something good.

Why are these so many rust shills pushing this shit on Holla Forums?

spotted the triggered anti rust shill.
antisage btw

For example if your only sex drive is some surprisingly kinky thingfor example if you're male and you like to be beaten up by girls lol, and your worst nightmare is that somebody else besides your gf if you had one finds out, and this thing makes your life harder than it could be if you were a regular alpha male with normal sex drive.

The reference literal thing wasn't ever awful, because you only needed to add one character to make it work and the compiler would tell retards like you what to do. It's just a cosmetic change.

I bet you're one of those "le comfy" faggot LARPers, aren't you?

While its syntax is a muddled mess of languages cobbled together, bad syntax isn't what's preventing everyone from converting their code to it.

What's still missing:
- impl Trait, e.g.:
fn foo() -> impl Foo {
where foo can return any type that is Foo. This would be useful for working with futures. In Rust nightly, you can already use it, but only as the return type of a function.
- imteger templating. I'm somewhat glad they didn't implement it yet because the current syntax proposal looks horrible. Can't find it right now, but it looks something like Matrix::new::()

there's not, there's just 1 who shills it constantly.

not exactly
antisage btw

(checked)
wtf why did firefox fuck up my screenshot??

Here's (you)

can the rust fags fuck off to their fantasyland until someone actually writes software in wide use with it that isnt an unstable mess
thanks

Bad syntax does prevent people from wanting to use a language, but it's not the only reason. In Rust's case, I think syntax is a major factor.

Yes and?????????? Didn't you see the images of Steve Klabnik that i attach to my replies???????
Good job faggot

no

How is your fizzbuzz in C going?

No. As a reminder, Visual Basic was huge for a decade despite inventing a new tier of disgusting. And Java was huge despite Gosling making a big show for many years of blocking what he called syntactic sugar to the point it required an IDE to write code.
What's holding Rust back is it isn't usable for real software. The compile time is so high even pozfox devs are balking about only 85k LoC of Rust in an 18M LoC project. And the Cargo model is just an abomination but is tightly woven into their ecosystem and tools and is difficult to avoid.

Retard spotted. There have already been huge compile time improvements. It will only get faster. Especially once incremental compilation lands in stable Rust will completely blow away C++.
Nigger are you retarded? Do you want autoconf instead? LMA0 kill yourself retarded nigglet.
Cargo isn't perfect but holy shit it is 100000% better than autoconf.

Gentoo user here. Next time I upgrade my firefox I'll measure the compile time. Just for you.

What exactly made you think so?

inb4 webdev package manager

>Matrix::new::()
Holy fuck

Can you clearly explain your problem?

okay this probably doesn't warrant a designated thread, so I will use this to remind you of something important.

btw
AFAIK there is no such word.

I guess the problem roots are growing from here community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/631
Instead of fixing the problem they limit line length.
Using fixed size buffer for fucking lines of text is retarded. I dunno what insane reasons can justify this.

I really cannot imagine similar level of fuck-ups happening if the non-performance-critical part was written in Python for example. Or basically anything else, except the trainwreck of a language what is C.

>Matrix::new::()
Oh seems like they accepted that RFC, but you only need the curly braces if you do arithmetics on your constants, e.g. Matrix::new::()
See github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/blob/master/text/2000-const-generics.md

Are there any key technical deficiencies in Rust that we could use to justify a fork, and then have non CoC in the forked version which we control?

Yes.
Rust is memory unsafe.

I mean, despite the claims, there are many possibilities of UB in "safe" Rust.
github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues?q=is:open is:issue label:I-unsound sort:created-asc

How about not using the less than and greater than operators for generics?

Just ask them. What's going to happen after you've forked rust, removed their CoC, and fixed the bug: they'll merge your improvement and the world forgets about your fork.
No, you. Don't be lazy.

bug fix might be under differend license :D

The solution makes sense if you're already stuck with a C++-like syntax because you didn't plan ahead early enough, doesn't it?

I don't mean a bug. I mean a design decision that the Rust developers chose and will not change so that merging our changes into mainline Rust is not an issue.

something about syntax then.
it's also probably the only thing that's realistic to change for /tech autists wannabe coders.

We could call the language Trust.
I'm going to get started on a logo.

topkek

I want a choice, and I'd choose autoconf. Despite being a nightmare from the '80s, it actually works extremely well and allows easily integrating multiple languages and tools together that might be nothing like each other. It's the glue that works on anything.
LARPer detected. Rust's way of doing things is acknowledged to be unusable:
github.com/rust-lang/rust-roadmap/issues/12

But you have the choice. You can use autoconf with rustc.

OpenVPN is streetshitter-tier code and they'd fuck up whatever language they used. I'm sure I'd find rstrip() in their code if they used Python. This has been known for a looong time so I have no sympathy for people who get hacked to shit by it. Much like OpenSSL, you've been warned.
The whole design is insecure and wrongheaded and has nothing to do with language. E.g. the model they promote (and the way most deployments are done) is to push routes dynamically from server to client. That is insane as a compromised server (or a MITM server in one of the retarded configurations they allow) can open up the network of a client and compromise it.

pozfox had to rewrite a lot of cargo in shellscript to integrate it with their build system because it wouldn't fucking work. Grep for '--frozen' in the code.

It's their own fucking homemade problem if they write rust code that depends on cargo.

What do you propose to use instead then?

All the open sores TLS VPNs are awful. I'd either go with strongswan or nothing. I wrote my own TLS VPN which is infinitely better than OpenVPN but it's proprietary.

Good luck using Rust without cargo.

lol

Not this decade L0L. Probably not next either.

rustc works perfectly well without cargo.
no
Already solved: github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/2136

Haha, no, fuck you. I'll wait until it works for others.

Nice non argument. You anti Rust shills really have to step up your game.

No???????????
epic. >>>Holla Forums

ESR would have shot the leftist shits in tech today.

who?

Microsofts """worst nightmare"""
Also author of fetchmail: pyropus.ca/software/getmail/faq.html#faq-about-why
tl;dr: he is retard

kys faggot

ya i know this guy is a spamming samefag nigger

hivemind fuck this guy

i know right rust sucks fuck this faggot he needs to jump off a tall building

ALL ME XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

bump

kys

s-s-s-sage n-n-negated

Oh boy!

Composing with classes in 2017.

What is purity spiral for 6 gorillion Alex? Language features matter a lot more than syntax. Be smarter than a nigger and realize Rust is a substantial improvement over other competing languages and use it to defeat the techleft. Or don't and let them get the upper hand on you with better security, performance, and productivity.

Take your herdlike niggerthink to plebbit. Don't connect me to the cock prison faggotry. Faggots are degenerate diseases on culture. Anyone with a brain agrees buttfucking shitholes is disgusting. That has nothing to do with using, or not, a superior language.

I know right? God forbid we talk about current technology in Holla Forums. I wish we had more anime i3 desktop threads and iphone discussions.

It's almost as if (((someone))) had something to gain by keeping the smartest and most capable techs on the internet busy with inane bullshit.

Don't flatter yourself, faggot.

He was talking about me, trips-kun

more samefagging

Wrong, niggerbrain. And if you want to claim otherwise, provide proof or stfu nigger.

the rustfag get's irritated when you point out it's samefagging

See

samefag

see

twitter. com/clementd Another faggot leftist openly inciting violence on Shitter. Let's tell xim what we think, and then start using their language but not contributing anything back. Technological appropriation begins today.

not your personal army.
also my shitter got banned for hatespeech

The disease is real. Leftists cuck circulate with whores who eat nigger scat hole and their lifespans are cut in half at best.

WEW LAD!
E
W

L
A
D
!

Also these rust threads accomplish literally nothing.

Checking those dubs.

Shitposters like you aren't helping.

more rustfag bumping his own thread with controlled opposition to generate the false impression of conversation

>>>/reddit/

antisage

>>>/4chan/

I don't think you know where you are leftyfaggot.

The language and what you can do is what matters, not the stupid people who develop it

That's literally what Go is for. Rust is designed to be for lower level code where you can't tolerate a garbage-collection pause, like a browser engine or a kernel.

but >muh syntax

Why not use Java/C# instead of Go though?

Unless you don't care for the long-term, that's wrong. You're the kind of faggot who'd fall for embrace/extend/extinguish every time. The people behind a project make all the difference.

And you're the kind of faggot who doesn't even program and can only post on Holla Forums in browser threads.

I do, in C or C++ mostly, although my C++ is shit. Don't know much about browsers other than that they all suck.

Its open source nigger . Nobody is indispensable

I don't believe this for free software.

How do you know? Stupid nigger user made a good point but you didn't get it because you're a noob. You newfaggots in tech don't know and couldn't build shit if it wasn't handed to you on a silver platter.

The people behind any open source project is irrelevant. If you want to change the direction of the project, you are more than welcome to do it. This is the reason why people are not relevant in open source projects. If you are willing to do nothing and just bitch that other people are not working for you then yes, those other people are relevant. This is the end that you chose but it doesn't have to be that way. Fork those projects and take it your way.

Fuck that, we're coopting Rust itself. Let the niggerfaggot cattle laboriously develop it while we use it to dismantle their censorship loving child raping online enclaves.

(You) will do nothing. That is because you are a LARPer like most on Holla Forums.
But on the off chance that you aren't LARPing 100% unlikely tbh start here:
github.com/lrs-lang

Go compiles to (mostly) static native binaries, builds even large projects crazy fast, and is much nicer on *nix. It was designed explicitly to be better than Java and Python for server applications. I would still use Java or C# (Mono) for cross platform GUI stuff if I couldn't use Python or had to ship a single binary.

observe as the rustfag argues with himself to bump the thread

Same person

Well it failed to be better than Java >1.4
Abandon this meme before it is too late.

I think it's much better than Java. What is for certain is that Java has a far bigger mindshare than Golang and so it doesn't matter how superior it is, more minds will be using Java than Golang.

Go has no generics and no package manager. Also its error handling is retarded.

Paid thread number #203847

Dropped. No thanks user I'd rather use the vanilla Rust and let the niggerfaggots maintain it while I use it for white power.

That came so unexpected. As we all know Holla Forums is full of actual programmers and not just NEETs whi LARP as them.

I don't understand how people even bump these shit threads full of ignorant morons.

C++ is memory unsafe by design. You can't make it memory safe while maintaining backwards compatibility.
sage negated btw

Tell me when big, serious projects are converting to rust. Otherwise I'll take that as an admission that it's still a toy language. Not even sorosfox was willing to take in more than 100k LoC of it.

Yu can just not use the unsafe parts, which rust has too anyway.

Just use smart pointers, don't store potentially dangling raw pointers and pay attention to compiler warnings. Hell, you can even use .at() to access vectors, if that's what you need to assuage your paranoia.

Doing your rounds, shill?

I sage because I consider I'm not contributing anything to the thread's discussion. This is not reddit. Learn how chans work before making a fool of yourself, faggot.

The only legitimate benefits rust has in that regard are compiletime checks vs. runtime checks for minor performance gains and the enforcement so no idiot will spoil your whole codebase (with that particular class of bugs)

Firefox

Yes. You could write memory safe C/C++. But that never happened and never will. (Your hello world and fizzbuzz doesn't count btw)
In Rust the unsafe parts are explicitly marked as such. In C++ they are not.

Unfortunately smart pointers won't safe you from memory unsafety.

Just responding to the people that post in my thread.
Then why are you >reddit spacing???

As I already said, C++ is memory unsafe by design. None of the shit introduced in modern C++ will safe you from it.
The only way to get memory unsafety in Rust is by using the unsafe keyword or because of compiler bugs.

rustfag responding to all of his own controlled opposition posts

epic
sage negated btw

But that's where you're wrong, kiddo.

Here is another example: mercurial-scm.org/wiki/OxidationPlan
Here is Facebook's experimental high performance Mercurial server written in Rust: github.com/facebookexperimental/mononoke

Also see this:
rust-lang.org/en-US/friends.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(programming_language)#Projects_using_Rust

Dead project.
Hilariously worthless. Thank you for that.
Webdevs who have no idea what systems programming is and have 20 different languages powering their internal helpdesks.

No serious project has made any serious uptake of it. Especially telling is projects who stand to see the biggest benefits of a "safe C" like the Linux kernel aren't touching it.

wrong
wrong
wrong
wrong
cvedetails.com/product/47/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html?vendor_id=33

Keep shilling, anti Rust shill. sage negated btw

The only reason why you change languages during a project is when you calculate the benefit of changing far outweighs the burden of continuing in the current language. Linux is already far mature in the C language, it's actually very sensible for it stay that way. If you want to use Rust, the most sensible time to start using it is at the start of a brand new project.

Deprecated. Use Redox. It is the future.
redox-os.org/

Again, this is not reddit. Learn how chans work before trying to be le epic iconoclast anonymouse.
People like you are the reason nobody wants to touch Rust with a 10 foot pole.

Keep up the good work.

I don't understand why you keep repeating that.
sage negated btw

If it can't easily integrate with existing code it's going to be locked out of anything important for decades as we don't create OSes from scratch often. A lot of C/C++ projects incorporated LUA in a major way so I don't buy the argument that the world has to be rewritten in rust before we should see rust.

I keep saying that because you keep treating bumps and sages as if they were upvotes and downvotes.
I sage with this post because it's off-topic. You will "negate my sage btw" because you are and ignorant piece of shit and ugly as fuck btw but it's fine, you keep making Rust a good name.

I'm writing sage negated because it is obviously triggering you. If you weren't a virtue signalling newfaggot you would know not to respond to obvious low effort bait.
sage negated btw XDXD

B8

If you want to see a Rust operating system, it already exists. It's called Redox OS.

more rustnigger samefag bumping it's shit thread

sage negated

why make this thread if end full of sages anyway, this is no more than a shitpost thread

twitter. com/0x424c41434b