Cluster Computer?

I recently came into:

15 Dell Latitude 6420 i5 vPros

4 Dell Latitude 6420 i5's

6 HP Elitebook 8560p with i7's

12 HP EliteBook 8560p with i5's

4 Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14's with i5's

10 Thinkpad x220s

And a shit ton of random i3's, Core2duos, Centrinos, and a Pentium 3. But Those are useless.

All for free. So, I'm not really sure what to do with so many, but I figure a cluster with the Dell e6420s would be interesting. whats the best way for going about building a cluster? I've never really looked into it much.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/parallel/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There used to be a few distros specifically for cluster computing, ChaOS and ClusterKnoppix are the two I remember, but ChaOS was severely limited in what it provided and I don't know if it's alive any more, ClusterKnoppix I think died years ago but was infinitely more useful because it was a fully functional distribution that shipped with packages already there, so you could have a functioning cluster up within an hour and start running applications to test it's power.
ChaOS I think only had an application for TESTING the cluster.

Wew. How?
If I were you, I would sell those on eBay.
They may be cheap, but with the amount you have, you could make quite some bucks.
Only with the x220, you could get at least 1k easy.

use distcc and use it as a compile farm for gentoo

le

That's like 100+ cores and almost a terabyte of RAM? Good question. Those would make a great build/test farm for something though.

I'd say run folding@home on them but that's almost as retarded a use of electricity as cpu bitcoin mining these days

Compile gentoo with highly customised flags to install on those thinkpads.

I graduated high school last year, and they run a program to fix old computers and give them to impoverished computers. All through highschool I got free shit that they threw out cause it didn't have a hard drive, ram, a battery, etc. They called me cause I set up their network sophomore year and they wanted to replace the servers and switches with better items (I told them they shouldn't cheap out back then). And after I finished setting that up I went to go talk to my old teacher. And while I was there the IT director walked in and asked if I wanted some stuff. Including the laptops I got a shit ton of wires, hard drives, ddr2 ram, entire box of ddr3 4 gig ram (i think I wasn't supposed to get this but someone put it in my box), multiple work stations, some screens, a Dell poweredge 2950, poweredge 1950, Cisco 2960, Cisco 3560 (PoE compatible model), Panasonic KX-NCP500, Power Connect 3448p, Palm M-100, various keyboards and mice, and a G5 Case I'm gonna take the apple logo off and use.

They're all either public school compusers or ex-government PCs. The Elitebooks are white label DoD computers. The best part is I got a red label hard drive some how, red label essentially means "TOP SECRET, MUST BE COMPLETELY DESTROYED". Normally they're dismantled, the platters then having drill holes put in them, then securely disposed of. The driver had windows 10 with "Rebecca"'s password being "Password1." There were some uninteresting documents about internal stuff and a request for a court ruling to allow them to monitor some dude. I just dbanned the drive so I could make a hackintosh, I mean it's 750gb.

I honestly make enough, I may end up selling them. But I figure a project like this would be fun first. All this stuff in a cluster, shit man. That'll be powerful. If I do sell them, I'll use it to fund 2 power9 CPUs and a Talos2. Maybe set up a server running them for you all to poke around with.

Yeah, that's what im saying. The processing power would be ridiculous.

I prefer void. Fully customized to the best of my ability, void runs smoother and lighter than Gentoo. Been using it for a while now. Imo, the talk should be about void. It's imo, the best distro out there. Linux From Scratch is more customizable sure, but void gives you the best time setting up to actuslly running fluidly ratio.

Impoverished families, not improverished computers

Fucking wew.

And it's the Red Label drive that had the "Password1"

So not only did they let a red label drive get to a fucking high school, the user used "Password1". In case any fed wants to track me down

Try GNU Parallel:
gnu.org/software/parallel/

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for

Sell me a few X220's for wholeslae price, OP.

Are those C2Ds and the PIII also ThinkPads?

And so it begins

Idk what im going to use this for.

Sell them, invest your money in traditional securities or crypto. Or buy a Bitcoin miner. Running a cluster is not at all worth it.

Position them all around your house and use wifi signal interference to echolocate you as you move around with the nearest screen being a KVM terminal to your main computer

Fucking wew.

You could run forensics on that and turn up some juicy stuff.

Too late now, ran DBAN on it

Shame. I hear some forensics options can still get some stuff out of it, but it's Deep Magics.

Dunno what to do with all that hardware, though. Set up a render farm?

Or you could donate it to needy anons.