I long for the capeshit films released up to '05 ('08 at the latest)

At least these films knew what they were, what they wanted, and how to be enjoyable.

all shit tbqhwy

There were some really mediocre cape films in that era, but it's almost better than the DC Grimdark Universe and the Marvel "Everyone is Ironman" Cinematic Universe

It varied in quality but they indeed felt more like films.

Marvel movies aren't films. Its like…A series of toys. All kinda samey mush.

The fucking Nips are now making better genuine superhero stories than us. It's pathetic.

I thought so too for a very short while….

But its very superficial. OPM and MHA have only very superficial superhero trappings.

There is never a plan, never a goal for the villains. All the heroes do is engage with fistacuffs with the villains.

Like "Mwa ha ha, were gonna turn you all into goats!" and then the heroes have to defeat the villains in goat form or something.

No its always "Fight Hero". Its just Naruto. Its always fucking Naruto. Thats all the nips can fucking write.

I know a lot of people hated these three but I think they're enjoyable. I once sat through Ant-Man and realized it was released 7 years after Iron Man, but it felt like it was made in the same year by the same director.

OPM, MHA, and TnB are, at their cores, stories about what makes someone a hero, regardless of powers or ability. That's what makes a "genuine superhero story." To try and shit on OPM for the villains "not having plans/goals" is absolutely retarded because for one, you're just wrong. Each villain has their own backstory, but the continuing joke is that Saitama gives no shits about why they're villains because listening to them will take more time than the actual fight. And in MHA, the villains have a clearly thought out and well executed plan to kill All Might. Did you watch either of those fucking shows?

The Punisher? Even normalfags on imgur love that movie, saying he was a better Punisher than Jon Berenthal.

OPM, MHA, and T&BB are, at their cores, stories about what makes someone a hero, regardless of powers or ability.
I'm not targeting Tiger and Bunny. That was pretty good.

But outside of that no matter the power or ability but their always incredibly overpowered. Because its Naruto. Naruto is just as much a superhero story as OPM and MHA are. Its the stock subject matter for anime to do stock anime things for.

The villains may have some motive, but it always involves just random acts of mayhem until the heroes get involved. Its like saying "Well the Villains Plan is a Tournament Arc". Fuck there where elements of that even in fucking T&B.

I think you just watch very little anime, so your incapable of seeing how incredibly stock all these character archetypes and arcs are. Notice how only in the first 3 chapters of MHA has anything related to a Bomb plot requiring description? After that its all just direct brawls. Hostage rescue is ALWAYS just taken care of by some side character so the fighters can focus on fighting.

Like Im not saying that a heroes power tested aint heroic. But its always tested the EXACT same way in these stock anime. Does your power level reach high enough to do damage? Very little ingenuity happens (Or is required) in these fights. Its almost ALWAYS brute force. And usually it starts off with some ingenuity but increasingly gets lesser with time.

I remember seeing people shitting on Tom Jane's Punisher since it didn't follow the comic 100% but it was years and years ago when the MCU was still new.
I liked Punisher: War Zone too.

It kind of was. Ant-Man was more-or-less in production at the same time as Iron Man, it was originally going to be part of the first wave of MCU films but there were the creator conflicts between Wright and the producers

They were all garbage except for Spider-Man 1 & 2. And no, they did not know what they wanted to be.

The Blade films was one of the series that got grouped in with the other Matrix knock-offs that were popping up at the time. They are quite enjoyable, and far from being bad movie, but they were not as good as the others in the genre.

I think I'm seeing where the disagreement comes from. For me, the testing of the hero doesn't come from their powers at all. It's usually unrelated. To me the center of OPM comes from scenes Mumen Rider trying to fight the King of the Seas, or Saitama purposely trying to get people to think he's a sack of shit so the other heroes can be appreciated. You're looking for the fight scenes themselves to be part of the struggle, while I just think they're a cool part of the show that's added on for sheer entertainment of watching stuff explode.

These were like toys as well, just different types of toys. Most of the superhero films from that era were made simply to cash-in on the success of Spider-Man and X-Men. There were a few stand-outs but most of them were made not because they wanted to make a film on particular source material i.e. they had passion for it, but because they thought 'hey, this shit could be big'.

For me, the testing of the hero doesn't come from their powers at all.

I know which is usually why it doesn't happen in these shows.
Tiger and Bunny was pretty great with Tiger struggling with family and losing his powers. Whilst the popularity thing could have been handled better it was about every characters personal reaction to the system that they played in. Even though Im kinda mad that it didn't evolve. Its kinda a corrupt system and I think the story would have been better served with it ending.

But in MHA and OPM it also has the "Superheroes play for attention" stuff but it makes less sense. Its just a common anime trope thing of power rankings, popularity people being jealous of the most popular guy. Shit like that.

Anime also has a thing for very superficial subversion. "The guy ended up looking at her Ass instead of her boobs! How subversive of anime cliches!". Same with MHA and OPM, and also to a lesser extent with T&B.

For me the best Superhero show on a GRAND scale was JLAU. On a personal Scale was Spectacular Spiderman.

Both in my opnion had much better testing of ideals and character, but ALSO had better fight scenes. Anime fight scenes are dull as rocks for me 90% of the time because of the lack of context and scenario. Every place is always just an arena even if it isn't an arena.

Well yeah that's the joke genius

Which works ONCE. Its a one time gag reference to animes tendancy to make horrifically overpowered heroes. Not saying capes doesn't have this problem but they tend to do better work with them.

Its very superficial satire. Its puddle deep. The sort of satire anime has been doing for decades.

The satire comes from the fact that he became a hero for excitement, and yet after minimal effort he became so horrifically strong that it was impossible to get any entertainment from it. How can you miss the point this badly?

Alright….And? I mean outside the fact that this is already nothing like the capes genre, so the fuck what? Its a one off gag, not something to build a show around. Its webcomic tier humor…Oh wait, this IS webcomic tier humor.

It's nothing like the cape genre! Because user said so!

Superman gets people after him because they fear that he could take over the world with his power.

Saitama gets people after him because he does property damage when he saves the world and people are jealous of his power.

Saitama is more a parody of characters like fucking Kirito then Superman. Just as long as Kirito winks every episode and says "Man Im so overpowered its like an anime" people will praise it as the next coming.

Which is weird because it was based off of Punisher Max series by Garth Ennis.

The reason all and any of these stories work is because there's some purpose and it's all handled by one guy making a world for the characters to be in.
The issue with western capes is what makes them unique,characters do not have a single writer unlike many other media and any sense of pacing gets fucked because characters are passed from writer to writer.
This does allow for compressed story lines and writers interpreting/showing characters in different ways,but most of the time any ending is an ending to an arc and permanence becomes an issue when another writer can retcon the decision.

The reason why any of those stories work is because ONE fucking guy leads the whole thing from start-to-finish and isn't fucked by editorial mandate as often capeshit writers usually are.Finality and real changes are allowed because they're not handling an eternal IP that is long gone from its owner's grasp.

I wish both of you faggots to die in a fire.

The spiderman trilogy are the only good movies you posted.
Get some fucking tastes nigger.

If you put it that way then capeshit are literally just bunch of memes

You're the kind of person that gets legitimately offended at the term 'capeshit,' aren't you?

This is, without a doubt, the dumbest post I've ever seen on the internet.

Superhero stories do truly suffer from a lack of focus, but they also have benefited to an extent from the massive creative libraries of characters. That's why I say the JLAU has some of the best stuff because it trims the fat.

But superheroes truly do have a separate aesthetic and way of doing things thats separate, and has plenty of its own good aspects.

Only if you ONLY look at the main comics from DC and Marvel, and ignore miniseries, count individual storylines as being one part of the whole, and also ignore every of source of Superhero stories that exists, from the publishers other than DC and Marvel, all the way to any movies or shows made. You're acting like a complete normalfag, defining capeshit as being defined exclusively by Marvel and DC.

Your right I apologize.

Many amazing and fantastic stories have been framed with the characters. And separate superheroes have allot going for them as well.

No,just annoyed by faggots who do not understand or wish to understand why some things are as they are.

Western capes are characterised less by the characters in them and their world and more by the giant clusterfuck that is the shared universe.This does have benefits,mostly retconning a faggot's questionable decisions or eventually better people taking over,but it's at the cost of the whole thing not even being cohesive anymore.

Unfortunately the big two are the faces of western capes and going by smaller comics is pointless when they have essentially monopolized the burger comic scene.Not that they can't produce any good stories(in fact plenty of good material came from that),but quality is incosistent and most Mango have an actual end and aim to finish at some point.

Case-in-point is when you ask for good comics to read by the big two,we don't reccomend entire franchises and instead reccomend certain "runs" by certain writers or mini-series with a clear beginning and end.A traditional western cape comic that isn't in a shared universe is downright alien at this point.

If we were talking about comics in general I wouldn't even bother with the big two and go with other genres instead.Ignoring the big two's mainline comics when talking about capes would be like ignoring Disney or Dreamworks when talking about big budget animation.

Nice trips
But isn't that how superhero comics started
Heros used to kill villains all the time
And don't shows like this constantly reference golden and silver age customs
Like costume design, attitudes and just plain old young and cheek superheroics
shows like this are better then most of the shit coming out now but superhero's in general don't necessarily mean Holla Forums

Its not the killing that gets me. I get what you mean that Modern Supers Anime is very optimistic, and lighthearted and thats good. But sans that its still very much a battle shonen in the vein of naruto and has very little in common with how the best supers stuff is written.

All comics were for the first 30 years was just excuses for superpowered fucks to punch each other.

Not really.

First it was a rage fantasy against the establishment. Against a government that couldn't or wouldn't do something angry vgiliantes with amazing powers would come out and just trash their enemies.

Then it was about weirdness and being silly, then there was an inbetween period of just stuff then the 90s and so fourth.

If you want to see superpowered fucks dully punching each other over and over modern comics gotcha covered.

A test of character of the hero is a good thing, but it shouldn't be the only test the hero has to pull through. Test of intelligence,strenght, bravery and will are also a standard of cape comics, and if the hero only obstacles are fist-fights then it's not really a cape comic or a cape comic homage.
That user is right, it's also why the arch-nemesis of Superman and Batman aren't a physical match for them at all. I guess OPM can get a pass since it's a subversion built on the fact that Saitama doesn't have to put effort in anything, but MHA has only a superficial resemblence to cape comics, which is why the idea of an "American Superhero" in the manga looks more like an action movie star (well, a parody of one) instead of an actual superhero.

It's a "trope" that applies only to Superman, and even that was YEARS ago, before he started butting head constantly with Darkseid.
Being so strong defeating villains and calamities comes easy has never been a recurring motif in comics, even the most powerful capes always had issues where they struggled against low-tier villains like Captain Boomerang or Metallo, it's DEFINITELY an anime trope that still persist to this day thanks to isekai.
The fact that you think it parodies cape comics because the guy wears a cape says a lot about you and how easily guy like you fool themselves by appearence only.

I'll agree that MHA certainly stretches being considered "western capeshit," as it's still steeped in shounen bullshit, but even then, Deku's defining moments as a hero are about him making the worst possible decision at that moment. He dives in to save his bully, despite having no powers. He wastes his only chance of getting into the "hero school" by punching the giant robot to save a girl, when it was explicitly stated he would get no points from it. If you want to argue TnB not being a cape show, I'll cal you retarded. OPM, I'll debate you, but understand where you're coming from. But when it comes to MHA, I realize that a LOT of it is anime bullshit, but it has some true gems hidden underneath the re-skinned shounen bullshit.

T&B escapes Shonen shit MOSTLY. Like it actually has….A plot. Like it has the shortest, smallest and best concluded and best-executed tournament arc of them all. But that still shows just how DEEPLY this is ingrained in the Anime world. Also its one of those rare shows where a Power DOWN happens instead of the constant powerups.

I Argue that OPM is more like a parody of characters like Kirito then anything capes related. He exists in the same sort of framework.

I get where your coming from with MHA having more heroic CHARACTERS then the constant civil wars of modern big two. But its FORCED.

If the system is more concerned about trained warriors who can kill the enemy super, then train warrior, and have warriors. Why would a fucking insane psychopath be allowed as a "Hero" outside of that (Oh right to set up a stupid Sasuke/ Vegeta style rivalry for later). Then train rescue crew separately. But like it just gets exemplified in a tournament arc. An invisible person would be amazing for espionage, but somehow she's gonna go ahead against Explosion blaster man?

Its setup artificially (In terms of writing). When you create a world of idiots and psychos it allows the main protagonist to be allot more heroic.

What you talk about isn't something exclusive to the superhero genre, having the hero be altruistic is nowadays par of the course for any fiction with a hero. It alone doesn't define cape comics, there's a structure to them that defines them.
I wasn't talking about TnB anyway, but it's really debatable wheter OPM is even a subversion of the cape genre. The very trope it's based on, Saitama being OP, is based in anime, not western comics. I think it's more supposed to be a parody of the Super Sentai genre, which is bound to have some overlappings with cape comics. It certainly explains why the villains there are mostly groups, organizations or supernatural monsters, instead of gangsters of mad scientists.

Groups Exist in Superhero comics as well but the execution is different then something like OPM. The group probably wants to make all the volcanoes on earth to erupt or turn everybody into plants to usher in their idea of paradise as the hero has to fight then and the alteration machine.

Groups in cape comics are usually separate villains coming togheter just to defeat the heroes, while still having each his own personal goal in mind.
Groups in the Sentai genre and in OPM are formed of people of the same kind and with the same uniform, that work united under the same ideal (save some possible twists).
Another clue is Tatumaki and Blast, the most powerful heroes around are an ESPer and a martial artist. When have those kinds ever been that powerful in cape comics? The top guys are either alien-powered, lab accidents/experiments, related to the gods or Batman. Yet there are many manga where martial artists and psychic powers make you a god on Earth.

Hyrda is a classic cape one. Less well known but there is Intergang as well. Lots of throwaway ones. Usually working under sombody like Razalghul or the like. Lots of throw away evil organizations.

It's not. It's ironic that people here having trouble categorizing a situational comedy where the joke is often that Saitama's very existence throws the world around him into disarray, because everybody and their mother has been led to believe in some bullshit power hierarchy that has leaves most of their heroes poorly equipped to deal with actual threats.

We're talking about a story where a fucking otaku becomes a ranked hero by accident, but people can't believe that Saitama is inhumanly strong because of a ridiculous workout routine. It's a fucking gag comic, not Watchmen

You are not my Nigger

Well I was just noting a trend, I'm not saying one genre only has one kind of villain. Individual villains are more relevant in cape comics, while organizations of that type are more relevant both in Sentai and OPM. Both have their exception but the prevalence of one over the other shows on what OPM is founded on I think.

A subversion can be humorous you know.

I agree. Individual villains tend to call the shots even in organizations, making them more their extensions then anything.

Stop being such cringe worthy autists. They're a breath of fresh air in this massively overdone genre and is free from so much poz.

I did like the league as well.

It was the first hero movie I ever saw where an Indian character was a complete and utter badass. They wrote nemo well.

It was entertaining, not out to win oscars but it sure as shit was a fun movie.

I liked Mr Hyde in it. The practical effects they did for him were impressive.

Holy shit, killyourself OP

Poor projection.

I'm okay with the MCU because all those mediocre movies opened the door for all the netflix series which I actually like

Yes. It's way worse

So you admit to being a nigger?

Capeshit is capeshit no matter what country it comes from.

bump

I want Holla Forums out on their ass.

And capeshit is a term of the enemy, no matter how you slice it.

OP probably just has nostalgia.

If it was a choice between Spider-Man 2 and any MCU movie, I'd pick Spider-Man 2 any day

Even The Winter Soldier?

Yes, even The Winter Soldier. I dislike Scarlett Johansson intensely

I love those three. The Shadow is probably my favorite of those three for that 30's Rocketeer style they were going for. There's something about that aesthetic charms me a lot.

Please do tell, why?

She can't act and she's not that pretty. She's extremely overrated

Same here.

Overrated, but I thought she was pretty tolerable in Winter Soldier. One lesser element isn't worth disavowing the whole thing.

Couldn't stand her in the Avengers. But then, looking back on it, I didn't particularly like The Avengers as a whole anyway

A bit too woden

user, it's a selling point to be an Aesir.

They're goddamn capeshits, you fucking normalfag.