Talos II

Anyone who is interested in the Talos II? It's a POWER9-based system, with fully open firmware. They tried crowdfunding a similar machine a while back, but it didn't take hold. Now they're making one direct to market, and cheaper this time. I would love to have one if I could afford it.
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/sandsifter/raw/master/references/domas_breaking_the_x86_isa_wp.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER9
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPOWER_Foundation
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007583 600474033 600483948
raptorcs.com/content/TL2MB1/intro.html
opengroup.org/openbrand/register/
j-core.org/
secure.raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Hardware-Considerations.html#Hardware-Considerations
mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-October/085242.html
mail-archive.com/[email protected]&q=subject:"\[coreboot\] Owner\-controlled POWER9 Talos II \[was\: Disabling Intel ME 11 via undocumented mode\]"&o=newest&f=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I looked. Really hard. For any peripherals that still used an rs-232 port. I couldn't find any, other than rs-232 to USB2 converters. Why bother including the port on the back panel? Why not just a UART pinout if they wanted a hardware terminal? Also, it could have done with an m.2 pcie slot or two, to maximize that coreboot boot time.

I'm considering buying one, but I'm going to wait for a review or five of the board before i make a decision, because i'd have to drop around 4k-4.5k making a PC around it, considering e-atx cases and ddr4 ram prices.

Also, why the fuck did they give it 16 ddr4 ram slots? you can get 128g ddr4 ram sticks.

For 2 TB RAM support, dumbass

ok I wrote that then checked the spec

Holy shit

wtf is Power9? Why would I want that? I might if most languages run/compile on it and the laptop has a mech keyboard

I would be if I wouldn't have to take out a second mortgage to get one.

I'd buy one no question if I wasn't unemployed.

are you stupid or something?

just Holla Forums my man

>>>/g/

I managed to find a couple old keyboards that use rs-232 connectors. Other than that, nothing. I was hoping i could find an old terminal screen/keyboard combo, but nothing usable turned up. I found one or two old keyboards that used the proper port, but why bother? Why the hell did they include 2 rs-232 ports? It seems like an utterly deprecated standard to me.

any industrial equipment made for past 30 years, hardware debug
Like proprietary intel cut dick much? NVMe bringup firmware is non-free and needs UEFI, thus mitigating estonishing coreboot boot times.

will buy if its still available when i have enough money

My company is considering this for batch processing security camera footage. Were probably never going to see it.

Bump because THIS IS IMPORTANT. If you got the money at least buy a mother board and later you can get the CPUs etc.

Why does the mobo cost 2200 dollars?

Aren't these CPUs mainly for server applications? I thought we were waiting for CPUs based on the RISC-V instruction set to be manufactured for consumers to curb our reliance on x86.

do you know how fucking long it will take for riscv to get to this level?

Power9 is open source and works now. You can compile any open source app for it.

This is true open source.

Because it was custom made and manufacturing for this level of hardware is expensive.

Haven't done that much research into it, sorry. Are there any initiatives for affordable consumer grade hardware components?

Not for open source hardware. And keep in mind this is not just open source it is a powerful system. This is the first PC with PCIe 4.0. Personally I am going to buy a motherboard and wait for the 24 core power9 cpus to come out. Thats a beast-level open source system. Dream come true for /tech

Talos II is still priced similarly to a similarly-performing Xeon workstation. The first Talos failed, and it was more expensive.

The mobo costs 2200 dollars because of the developement and manufacturing cost, especially because of the presumably small batch size.

The cpus being made for servers makes little to no difference to its effectiveness at general comuputing. My bet is that IBM skimped on desktop features (like more than just a framebuffer for integrated graphics)

Other than graphics, server processors mostly end up doing similar work to desktop processors. And the talos 2 is priced roughly around similiar i9 and xeon dual-cpu setups, including cpus.

How to out yourself as a pleb in only 13 words.

Because each CPU has 8 independent memory controllers, also even 2TB of RAM disappears quickly when you are running lots of memory intensive VMs.

Dual socket enterprise-grade motherboard + small production run = expensive

Go back to writing ruby apps for food.

I see one RS-232 and one VGA.

Yeah, I have a boner.

I just wish it hat more usb ports for all my pleb peripherals.

Because they don't use the Intel razor+blades sales model of selling you a trashy $200 mobo and then charging thirteen thousand dollars for the CPU

Its also the first PC with CAPI, which is even better than PCIe 4.0.

My current job pay would mean saving up for 3-4 months just for the mobo. Still waiting on the EOMA68 I preordered as well.

I got the FSF letter too. Looks powerful. If I can get such a system without paying the 3k or more, I'm SERIOUSLY considering it for my next build.

That said, the price is a steal for the kind of performance you get. Amazing stuff, so glad to see a viable non x86 architecture 9n the market again, and IBM no less.

Yeah, the price is similar to a similar-performing Xeon-based workstation. It's much better than the failed original Talos.

Why is it so expensive? The type of people who use "workstations" generally need Windows and other proprietary software. Companies are unlikely to switch their servers to an untested platform.

They should have made it much less powerful and marketed it to hobbyists/freetards.

A lot of scientists and engineers use UNIX-like systems so they often use Linux. Also Linux is dominating professional 3D workstations (Weta digital, ILM, Pixar, DreamWorks), those people write their own software or use software that works natively on Linux (Nuke, Maya, DaVinci Resolve, Lightworks, ...). Windows workstations are mid-tier , since OS is closed source it can't be tweaked, high profile jobs/research is often done on some sort of UNIX. Market is certainly there the question is what offers better performance per $, so companies will buy that.

V A P O R
A
P
O-
R
W A R E
A
R
E

When you can compile your own software library for it from the vast selection of FOSS software you won't ever have to worry about vaporware. Unless you are referring to it becoming hardware that is no longer produced in the future?

Bump for interest.

We could ask the same of Windows, which is worthless

Just bought it, eat shit, fag.

What makes you think Power isn't backdoored just like x86?

You haven't seen the first prototype.

Because you could audit the X86 platform ?
That's something that I wasn't aware of :^)
I understand what you meant but in reality most techs (except oldfags from the 80/90s) don't know what's happening besides "it just works".

Do you know in what environment freetards work ?
I mean those who have a job ?
They work in datacenters, for ISPs or scientific projects.
These people need vast amounts of reliable hardware that they can trust.

This

Nice argument.

Because we have access to the code of the hardware.
Yes tons of papers were already made on the subject.
This is the best that we have for now until we can produced 12nµ CPUs at home.
So fuck of with these CIA level questions.
There's only benefits to go onto this platform.
You have the source code
You participate in the financing of a small company who is OK into letting you OWN what you buy.
What do you want more ?

Google is already using Power9 systems, and the newest supercomputers at a couple of the national labs in the US are Power9 systems too.

But it'll drive up my power bill.

You haven't read the specs.

we don't assume that. we simply don't know of any backdoors, unlike x86, which has confirmed backdoors.

What if that's what they want you to think? What if they put obvious backdoors into x86 so that you'd think other architectures are safe, but in reality they have the super secret *real* backdoors?

github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/sandsifter/raw/master/references/domas_breaking_the_x86_isa_wp.pdf
There is so much shit hidden in x86.
POWER9 is part of OPENPOWER.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER9
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPOWER_Foundation

AKA this means that people like at raptor engineering are partners and since the license is "Openly shared" To their partners raptor can share the software of the hardware.
Otherwise this project wouldn't have the RYF certification.

What if you are a covert NSA propagandist paid by the Rothschild to prevent us from buying non-backdoored computers? What if Satan seeded fossils under the ground so that we would think evolution is real? What if the world was created just 15 seconds ago with all of our memories of the past built-in?

There are countless unfalsifiable scenarios I could come up with, but because we can't know whether they are true (by definition) we don't even bother considering them.

if that was their plan they made such a great job, didn't they. the Intel and AMD backdoors look sooo real that I'm, indeed, compelled to believe they are real.

again; I don't think they are safe. All I think is that they are MUCH more likely to be safe, given the state of the evidence.

the RFY certification doesn't require that hardware be built from libre (or even "shareable") designs. it's still too early in the era of free hardware to make such demands.

to be honest I don't know whether Power9 core designs are freely shareable in some sense. What I know is that Talos will be able to function with 100% libre software, and that's fucking awesome enough; because all hardware in that category so far has been either old or slow (compared to high-end desktops/workstations/servers)

Bump again because this is TIME LIMITED and if it fails it would be most unfortunate.

If you got the cash atleast buy a motherboard!

Aren't these just off the shelf Mobos with just a custom firmware? These CPUs were the latest they would cost like a 2000 dollar Xeon because Power9 is way more niche than Xeon.

if these*

No, they have to develop the actual hardware too, since the only POWER-capable motherboards available right now are not ATX-compatible and whatnot.

Where the fuck do you shop that has ATX POWER9 mobos on the fucking shelf?

How does Talos compare to QUBES?

nigger...

ssi eeb//SSI CEB cases.

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007583 600474033 600483948

Ok. Just ordered. I cant wait for this bad boy to arrive and open the package knowing I have the foundation of the ultimate open source workstation.

makes me moist

raptorcs.com/content/TL2MB1/intro.html

It ain't the 90s anymore, nobody uses anything other than Windows, Mac, and Linux on workstations. I mean, name one company that actually uses BSD outside backend.

nintendo, sony

You can use linux on this.

Those are even less BSD than Android is Linux. I don't think 99% of BSD installs even have a DE running.

get the fuck out of this board you fucking retarded idiot
do a bit of thinking next time you post anywhere pls
or just hang yourself

opengroup.org/openbrand/register/

OSX is BSD based, and now that Oracle is killing off SPARC and Solaris, the only major Unix 03 compliant OS.

Solaris isn't dead yet!
LONG LIVE ILLUMOS!

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY!
Good luck to TALOS II

Kinda' off topic, but does anybody have the video of the Raptor guy giving the "game over for general computing" soliloquy?

The more I read up on it, the more I want it to succeed and become a viable player on the market. I can't afford that specific system, hopefully they will succeed and have a budget option later on for people like me.

This
HAs long the quality doesn't drop down I don't say no for cheaper product.
But if it can't be cheaper like me you should just put some money aside for this kind of gem.

It seems cheap now but it's a bit pricey compared to an x86_64 HP Z- Workstation.

Still, I think POWER9 is worth it.

Yeah, most people with the budget to fill every slot on that board don't give a shit about freedom anyway. If they made a mini-itx version pcengines would go out of business overnight.

Is the hardware that utilize x86 architecture even compatible with power9? I agree with you, It would have been nice if they came out with ITX Mobos.

fuck yeah it is

You should ask yourself this question.

Also beside PCIe compatibility the advantage of these kinds of boards is that other hardware manufacturers can fully take advantage of the non-secret instructions and functionalities of the ThalosII motherboards without having to passes some secret trades thus it limits unfair competition from the CPU/motherboard manufacturer.
Intel hides instruction in it's cpu, besides CIA spying there's also the hardware market that can ask for better optimization for X specific product.
For example Nvidia could ask a better routing of it's instruction or special instructions in intel CPUs for their brand to have better performance or they need to contact the raptor team to make these improvement on the board and these improvements will be made public since the board is RYF certified aka under a free license.
Once the Talos becomes something a bit more spread and has a market share, the second thing that we need are free/libre GPUs to make the insanity of GPU hype stop.
These possibilities re-opens (yes it opens again since they were closed in the mid-80s) for less useless/fake hardware releases, for great optimization/hack, it might bring back the golden age of computing were nonsense/hype was nonexistent.

I hope me will get something better than GPUs. GPU is an outdated marketing term that Nvidia invented, and nothing that makes a modern GPU a GPU would be needed on a platform that does not have to run a ton of legacy Windows games. On a new platform we would be much better of with just a big bunch of FPUs on a card. Which is pretty much what modern GPUs are, except with a bunch of proprietary bullshit in front of them to, supposedly, make them less scary for incompetent game devs.

A very funny email thread was produced on the Dyne Mailing List (Devuan's Mailing List) in response to this. It quite literally began talking about Talos II, then it switched to conspiracy surrounding Intel and AMD (not talking about ME but literally screaching "What IF!!!1!" statements), then it devolved into a pissing contest about technological purism, then there were autistics saying "The human condition is why people can't get along." Yeah, man. Real deep.

You gotta love FLOSS Mailing Lists.

No. It's like saying manycore uarchs are just "a bunch of CPU".

Can it run Debian?

Does debian have a powerpc installer?

More like:

You forgot the purism shill.

oh, I didn't know it was the ppc64el iso, thanks

No, it's like saying they are a bunch of CPU cores. Which is, mostly, true.

How accurate is this?

Arm is only used on embedded devices that I know of.
x86 support is fading. Did you mean x86_64?
Oh hai Tanenbaum and MINIX!
Is there a difference between POWER8-9 and PowerPC?
What is SuperH?

That's just an extension of x86, same crap.

ARM is actually used in servers somewhat. I know there's at least one or two places making server cpus

So wait.. You're saying any distro that supports powerpc will support this too?

You will probably need a ppc64le distro. Most of the standard big-endian ppc/ppc64 stuff is built exclusively for Macintosh systems.

PowerPC is a cut-down, low-power version of POWER mostly used by Apple. These days, PowerPC is mostly only used in embedded applications. The PowerPC 970 marketed by Apple as the G5, for example, was basically a low-voltage POWER4 with the addition of Altivec and the removal of the second core. They shrunk the die to 90nm in the 970FX, and added the second core again in the PPC 970MP. The older PPC 6xx models had a similar relationship with POWER2 and POWER3.

Out of curiosity, why SuperH and not SPARC? Was SuperH ever used in anything besides arcade hardware?

I don't think PPC64LE will run on anything but POWER 8 and 9.

The Dreamcast. Which is probably how it ended up on that list.

SH2 is patent-free due to age and there are new clones being built as a result.

New clones being built where and for what?

Shouldnt RISCV be at the bottom?

j-core.org/
For cheap, auditable embedded chips like USB controllers or NICs

Because the point of the meme is to put something absurd at the bottom.

I was actually thinking of the Saturn when I added SuperH.

Just ordered one.

They're still accepting preorders?

holy fuck we have typical reddit style cia niggers even here

Still accepting preorders:

secure.raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html

enjoy your botnet

It's getting the RYF certification it can't have a non-free component.

According to the GuixSD documentation, broadcom does have a WiFi chipset with a libre driver
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Hardware-Considerations.html#Hardware-Considerations
Not sure what the status is on the ethernet controller for this, but apparently not every broadcom thing is botnet

I will buy one when it's out, provided it runs full featured on a deblobbed kernel and the board is well manufactured

The drivers for their ethernet cards are Free Software from what I've read. It's the wireless that's the problem. This post sounds like FUD, but if it's not I'd like to see the proof.

The driver isn't the problem; the controller firmware is.
Director of research at raptor acknowledging the issue in email:
mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-October/085242.html

mail-archive.com/[email protected]&q=subject:"\[coreboot\] Owner\-controlled POWER9 Talos II \[was\: Disabling Intel ME 11 via undocumented mode\]"&o=newest&f=1

The controller is guarded against by the MMU, its firmware is loaded every reset (i.e., replaceable), and development of an open source alternative is possible. Botnet potential low, but stallmanu spergers should be aware.

You better be posting images, if you actually did

Will see if I can work out a loan for the board to start. Would love to build this fucking monster myself.

check the spec, there's one on the I/O and one as a pin header on the mainboard

Are you not getting CPUs with it?

Are you high? You shouldn't get a loan for any computer unless you enjoy being raped with interest.

Depends if you choose to download extra RAM

One of the french openbsd devs works for a company that has 1000's of openbsd desktops.

ARM was the basis for Acorn computers in the 90's. You can still buy RISCOS today and run it on a RPi if you want something different than the bloated Linux desktop environment crap.

They give it away for free, don't they?

Version 5 is free. Not sure what the differences are with 6. I haven't yet bought any ARM board, but I'm going to get one that's well supported by OpenBSD, so it can dual boot. That will be my next "desktop".
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS

Nope. Just the main board. Going to get the most expensive part out of the way first.

How retarded do you have to be to not find devices that use RS232

That's good. Why spend $150 more on a bundled CPU when you can spend $340 later for the same thing?