Give a dog a bone Holla Forums

i'm currently 3 weeks behind in my course and missed out on all my Linux lectures (sick probs aids)
can ya'll help me out here?

Other urls found in this thread:

pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908775/xcu/tar.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Young pajeet you suck so hard at everything. This stuff is unix 101. Did you learn nothing?

I haven't learnt anything, i missed out on all my Linux lectures; literally have no clue what i'm doing

begging for some help; please mate?

There is no easy way, you'll have to learn all of this yourself, no one can help you.

'touch' is part of the GNU coreutils, it has nothing to do with Linux.
Are you even trying?

Technically you don't even need touch to write a blank file you could do it with cat or vi but I digress. Pajeet use manpages to find this shit out. Usually at the bottom of manpages there is other commands you can look up what they do. jewgle manpages if your don't know what that is.

tar -zcvf reportbackup.tar.gz ~/report/
literally 3 seconds in google

This can't seriously be coursework, this is the most basic shit to using linux.

tar c in | gzip > out.tar.gz

how is this non standard?

pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908775/xcu/tar.html

Try it on solaris or openbsd you will find out quickly.

true, it may have been standard then, but you must admit that solaris is really outdated. can't comment on bsd, though.
I'm basically saying that you guys do have a point, but I really wouldn't go and say that tar -zcvf is not a standard command today. hell, that line is in the official redhat learning materials

That's not what "standard" means. Just remember that you only know GNU tar, then.
Using tar and gzip is as simple, anyway.
I bet you use #!/bin/env bash in your scripts.

I can handle old stuff, I'm just not used to it. I remember being surprised multiple times when utilities I'm familiar with suddenly lack flags I'm used to on linux.
but yeah... you're right about the GNU tar thing.
#!/bin/bash only

I was hoping one of yall would help me out and explain the commands to me; yes it might be basic for you guys but i was hoping with would be a learning opportunity for me

fine, I'll bite

tar -zcvf reportbackup.tar.gz ~/report/
-z - use gzip/zip for compression. tar itself doesn't compress
-c - create a new archive (new file)
-v - verbose, so you know what's it doing
-f - output file. in this case it's reportbackup.tar.gz
~/report/ - source directory which will be compressed

thanks for the help, but now can you explain how i would uncompress this now? I just so i know

tar -xzf reportbackup.tar.gz -C /tmp/reports
-x - extract
-z - it's a zip archive, so use gzip/zip
-f - file to extract. in this case it's reportbackup.tar.gz
-C - output directory. in this case it's /tmp/reports. but the -C flag is optional. if omitted, it will extract to your current working directory

Why are you spoon-feeding this dumb illiterate fag?

I feel like being helpful. I'll stop now, since I'm at work anyway

chmod 660 *.draft
cgmod 770 *.draft would be typical because you want owner and group to be able to execute as well

mkdir ~/reports/final && find / -type f -name "*.final" -exec mv {} \;

tar -cvzf ~/report reportbackup.tar.gz

not sure?
grep tcp /etc/services | sort > ~/tcpservices.txt

shit it said all
find / -type f -name "*.draft" -exec chmod 660 {} \;

I would like to point you to a great resource called the Linux documentation project. It's full of stuff neatly organized by topic and you will learn more there than any lecture. Also, you should have had assigned reading if you're going to a nice university, so this is inexcusable. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and do the work. Nothing worth doing is easy.

sudo sed s/banners/fannies/ /dev/sd??