Solus

Is it botnet?

You are on Holla Forums, everything is a botnet.

re-skinned redhat windows
trash

It's complete crap, only viable on maybe non-UEFI machines but it's super dangerous to install on a UEFI machine.
www.dedoimedo.com/computers/solus-2017-rdeview.html

Why should I listen to someone whose website is like this?

And doesn't even work now that I look at it. I assume I need to enable some google shit to get the article to appear.

because he's some autist who spends his life installing gnu+linux on thinkpads and writing about it

The owner of that website is an autismo who can't into UEFI. How the fuck does he get featured on distrowatch is above my head.

I have been using Solus for about a year now. It is the least shit "beginner" distro. Everything else feels like amateur hour.

yes, i can tell by the logo

CONCLUSION

not trying to defend this shit (never even heard of it), but
why do you have this "beginner" shit installed for a year and have any authority to tell whether it's good.
who the fuck cares about distrowatch?
also only niggers buy hardware with (((U)))EFI

What's better for beginners/windows users who just want a functioning OS and use software without having to fix the OS first: Linux Mint or Solus?

le l33t hardc0r3 distros function perfectly fine. things "break" under exactly the same circumstances as in easy distros, if the user does something that introduces some kind of inconsistency.
Not coming with everything installed is not "broken," neither is requiring configuration. Its acting exactly like its supposed to, and that doesnt include knowing exactly what you want from it like a magical genie.
You want the system that acts most like you want it to by default. The best way to answer this question is to try them yourself. Installing is easy, it just takes time. If you only have one computer do it in a virtualmachine and do whatever else while it does it.

Windows

Debian

Solus, it's a perfectly fine distro, Holla Forums is just LARPing right now because they aren't actually familiar with it, but want to sound holier than thou about using a different distro.
Mint, at least in my experience, is kinda shitty. I've been using solus for awhile now and it's been one of my favorites, if not my favorite distro I have tried, would recommend to anyone, even autists on Holla Forums.

Budgie or MATE? REALLY?
ill stick to Mint

Solus is amazing. I use it every day as my primary hentai driver.

install Gentoo

How do you fuck up UEFI? Isn't that shit baked into systemd now anyway? Grub2 and gummi boot also have it, how does any linux not work with UEFI by default?
Even "Every feature I don't have is bloat" OpenBSD supports UEFI.

I suspect the reviewer fucked up here unless Solus actively broke UEFI.

They didn't.
systemd-boot yes.
Solus uses GRUB2 for legacy boot and they forked gummiboot (goofiboot) since it was abandoned for systemd-boot and at that time systemd-boot was shit.

Now they are switching back to systemd-boot, because it's less shit now. Main dev of Solus also wrote a distro agnostic utility that manages systemd-boot configs (also deals with garbage collecting kernels) called clr-boot-manager (as far as I understand).

What Solus basically does is register the Linux Boot Manager in NV vars, which should be chosen at the firmware boot menu, you know the one thing that UEFI is actually better than legacy boot.

Which is the only sane thing one should do. Universal bootloaders are the most retarded thing ever. The only reason they were a thing is because Linux people can't into UEFI and the simple solution was to completely rely on universal bootloader. Because who the fuck thought that chrooting into foreign OS to configure the GRUB is a good idea. I think that the whole idea of systemd-boot in the first place anyway, to avoid that insanity, you know, hopefully doing UEFI correctly now.

So Solus basically doesn't configures the GRUB bootloader of another install and OP of that "article" is a retard.

What the fuck, I tried to install this and it bricked my fucking laptop. It goes to black screen, fan goes crazy, and then resets and repeats infinitely.

I guess that guy was right about it being dangerous.

No, it just doesn't have packages.

I doubt it is bricked, it probably just isn't booting properly, did you download the torrent or make sure you checked the filehash? Did you make sure to properly load the usbdrive with solus and not just copy it on there or something? If you did those things, just try to install it again. If not, go back and fix your usbdrive, and then try to install again.

I had some issues with something similar to this when I installed it on my wife's laptop, where it would start, and the screen would kinda turn on, but be black, then turn off, in a loop, but I just put a newer version of solus on the flashdrive(I had an old copy on there from last time I had installed it) and installed it again and everything was fine and she hasn't had any problems since, it's her favorite operating system ever, in fact.

If the problems persists, just try wiping the drive and trying again. I had no problems installing it to other computers besides the laptop, btw, so it might be some issue with laptops, not sure. Feel free to file a bug report with them.

This fucking websites are the worst. As someone who only does pure HTML+CSS, what the fuck is in these scripts that so many people want on their website? Is it just in all modern templates or do webdevs specifically seek out premade google scripts?

How can I fix it when it doesn't even reach the boot screen?

Solus booted from the USB fine and the install went fine for a while, but then it said "install failed" and told me to reset. When I did I was met with nothing but blackness, and having the USB attached didn't make a difference.

bios screen*

It is literally impossible to brick computer that way, unless it has already fucked up BIOS/UEFI.

5RuHL5LQnT9G 0L1pdnLy49uA

you're going to hell

If you have 4 different levels of botnet on your site and none of them has anything to do with making the site work, then you most certainly don't have any integrity.