RetroShare, Ring, Tox - which one do you prefer and why?

The more detailed your answers are the better.
Only answer if you tried them all.

RetroShare retroshare.net/
Ring ring.cx/
Tox tox.chat/

Other urls found in this thread:

retroshare.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user-guide/settings/#network)
git.suckless.org/libutf/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any application depending on Qt in CLI/TUI mode is such garbage that I wouldn't even put it in my trash can out of pity for it.

Better use glib amirite?

wire
apparently Soon™ they are going to allow self hosted servers due to them open sourcing their server code

the only problem i have with it is their desktop """app""" which runs on electron

Thanks for validating my decision to continue ignoring the pathetic fucks who announced on their website that GNU/Linux isn't a desktop platform.
I'm a daily user of Tox and it works for my purposes. They need multidevice, group history, and pretty custom files (voice messages, stickers, etc) if they want to achieve penetration among normalfaggots but I'll never stop supporting the only truly distributed messenger regardless.
The barriers to entry maintain a very high quality of conversation in the groupchats, too, and I'm enjoying that while it lasts.

literally who

OP helpfully provided links so that anyone unfamiliar with the software being discussed could bring themselves up to date before engaging in the conversation.
Since you've chosen not to do this and instead decided to flaunt your ignorance, I can only conclude that you are either:
A) a retard with no learning instinct, or
B) attempting to show your disdain for the software being discussed by implying unpopularity.

In either case: why?

Downvoted. :^)

It's better than depending on GTK+. Even boost would be better.

Tbh I don't see how this could be achieved while remaining completely distributed. It is literally a "just put your data in the cloud goyim" feature.

What is Ring?

drop by #tox-dev on freenode and they'll chat you up. Grayhatter is working on multidevice right now, it's just slow going.

frenchtard blockchain loltlscrypto shitware

Yeah, sure, but to make use of it you need a secure way to retrieve it. And I strongly suspect that any such way will be about as easy to enter into another device as just copying some files would be, which nearly defeats the point.

Isn't it literally based on the same DHT tech as Tox? Less shitposting, more justification pls.

It's like having a group chat with someone with multiple personality disorder.
I might be glossing over some details, but this is how for example threema recommends doing it.

Nitpick: I believe this was deemed debilitatingly inefficient and a gossip-type protocol is being investigated

I don't think you understand what multidevice does, at all. I genuinely invite you to add #tox and #tox-dev to your autojoins and lurk, it's a fascinating project.

What does that mean? It uses a distributed hash table, sure. Lots of things do. It doesn't work the same way Tox works and messages don't go over DHT so it's hardly central to the messaging model. Ring uses a blockchain and AIDS crypto. Tox uses NaCl.

How is it AIDS? Is it because it is not muh OTR and doesn't allow you to feel like an anarchocypherpunk fighting the system? Deniability is a LARPing meme anyway: if there is an actor capable of decrypting your conversations and fucking you over, you are already fucked, and no matter how much you try to convince the (probably corrupt) judge that "the CIA planted those messages", you will be going to jail.

you seem to have a stick up your ass about OTR
you're the first one bringing it up
examine your preconceptions, maybe, i'm not a moxiefaggot

I prefer Tox. RetroShare and Ring are great designs, but I don't like the heavy implementations.

Matrix.org / Riot is better than all of those.

Yeah, no.

RetroShare
Positive:
- allows much more control about how you find/connect to your friend (retroshare.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user-guide/settings/#network) than the other 2
- has a more advanced feature set than the other 2 and can be extended with the plugin system
- allows communication beyond your friend list (probably the most underrated feature)
- offers a solution for both anonymous and non-anonymous users (Tor and I2P)
Negative:
- no stable mobile version yet (only Android dev)

Tox
Positive:
- easy to use, noob-friendly
- has a client on most platforms
- "nospam" is awesome
Negative:
- "experimental cryptographic network library, use this library at your own risk"

Ring
Positive:
- with SIP support it is truly cross platform
Negative:
- metadata/contact leaks
- the UI

Does Ricochet have any advantage over RetroShare?

If it was working on mobile, I would prefer RetroShare, but have to go with Tox for now.

What are you babbling about?

AIUI, Matrix addresses are formed using a FQDN, so to bundle a server with the GUI, you'd still have to get a unique domain name from somewhere.

Ring only uses blockchain tech for storing aliases. If you're happy using the public key to identify yourself, then you can ignore the blockchain part.
And AFAIK its crypto is standard (as in RFC) SIP technology, which is pretty well tested in the real world.

But for a developer looking at p2p messaging tech for embedding in other projects, Tox has far and away the simplest and most logical programming API that I've found.

Okay, so what can I recommend to my normalfag friends that is easy to use, looks nice, runs on iOS, Android, Wangblows, and Linux, won't leak IP addresses, metadata, or contacts, and isn't funded by CIA niggers?
RetroShare doesn't look nice, Tox leaks IP addresses, and Ring leaks metadata.

only your friends can see your IP with tox.

I'll probably end up using Tox since that's a good point, I really don't give a shit if my friends who are too lazy to use any more advanced solution wouldn't even have a clue what to do with it.
But to satisfy my curiosity, what fulfill my requirements?
I mean a platform that is built so securely that I won't have to use a VPN to hide my shit.

No clue. I just use tox+tor.
ratox+lchat master race btw.

It's peer-to-peer, you reddit-loving fuck.
Install Tor.
Any tool which creates its own domain specific onion for general anonymity will necessarily be weaker than a general purpose onion network in active use already.

It's alive? brb reinstalling

Are you a nigger by chance?

what the fuck are you even

Your braindead soylent-sucking Friends™ can get fucked, I don't give a shit. You're bitching about anonymity and I gave you the answer. Want anonymity? Use Tor. It's the best existing solution. In the future there'll be a preconfigured ToT bundle download so the dregs of bugman society can put up with your cuntposting while you assure them they're finally totally safe on their Windows machines while they watch Netflix.
Gas yourself.

what exactly would stop being useful and useable about it if it wasnt?
if you have a problem, mail the devs. I did about it not printing your own messages to text_out and they changed it.

its end to end encrypted chat, works for almost any platform (except bsd), allows group chats, and you don't have to allow it to use contacts. you can set up a fake email to make an account as well

How do you use ratox with lchat ? I can only find a github repository but no info.

Also, lchat requires libutf. This one: git.suckless.org/libutf/ ? How the fuck do I install it ?

If I have ratox already running, will lchat automagically catch input and output ? What if I have ii and ratox running at the same time ?

>Also, lchat requires libutf. This one: git.suckless.org/libutf/ ? How the fuck do I install it ?
this one, just clone, cd, make && make install

I think you should pipe ratox output to lchat, but I'm not this user

it actually working since the networking and crypto library it relies on is updated daily, perhaps?

I'm a retard I was just running install for no whatever reason instead of make install.

As for piping it doesn't work and placing the lchat binary in the same folder as where ratox is running doesn't work.

Is it really that hard to put some general guidelines regarding your project on github ? A small man page ? Or do I have to idle all day on #suckless and shittalk people who don't compile all their minimal software.

Ok, I was appending instead of piping jesus.
Now I just get

lchat: isatty: Inappropriate ioctl for device

and nothing happens.

sudo make install
Look at how lchat works. tail -f runs on the output text file('out' in ii, text_out in ratox), and sends input from the standard input into the input pipe('in' in ii, text_in in ratox).

lchat has a manpage. Read it. you're massively overcomplicating it, user.

Where ?

Does it not put these things where the y're supposed to go? I thought it did, I could be misremembering.
Im pretty sure you should just be able to type man lchat.
if not than in the directory you compiled it there'll be lchat.1, thats the manpage. put it in /usr/local/man/man1, or /usr/share/man/man1.
youd also wanna put the lchat binary in /usr/local/bin if it doesnt do it. I could have sworn it does this though.

The make file doesn't have make install so I just ran make and currently have the executable in my home folder.

But now that man page makes things easier except I still don't know what I'm doing.

I have ratox running in directory ~/ratox.
That's the directory value lchat needs right ? because I have a feeling it's for single users only.

Thats not how it works.
Consider how ratox/ii work, how they're supposed to be interacted with, its not like running toxic or irssi.
Text goes into the input pipe. It gets sent to the IRC server/friend/whatever, and any text that comes from these is put into the output file. In ratox, these files are text_in and text_out.
what lchat does is follow the output file with tail, no different from if you just ran tail -f out[or text_out for ratox], while also letting you enter text, which it sends to the input FIFO.

now look at the manpage again. it explains ab out the 'directory' that the default path is the current directory, and up top that it looks for the files 'in' and 'out' by default.
it also has flags for specifying exactly what the input and output files are.

you just run lchat on the input and output files you want to use it with. in ratox you have to specify their name because they're not 'in' and 'out'.
for ratox, the directories with long number names are your friends. y'can make symlinks with the friends ID as the name for each of them if you want, I did.

I explain so much because it seems like you might be thinking about it wrong. Its much easier to understand if you think about these things roughly in terms of what they are, now "how do I do it? what button do I press?"
friendly sage

not*, not 'now'

Other cool stuff about lchat-
the .prompt and .filter files- in addition to specifying the prompt on the command line, you can put a file called .prompt in the directory it'll run in and it'll use that as the prompt.
then, you can also put .filter in the same place. .filter is some executable file that reads lines from stdin, does whatever to them(or doesnt, if you make one that doesnt do anything), and then puts them back on stdout. thereby you can filter the text, to say, cut off the month-day-year part of the timestamp, or replace 'pepe' with 'THAT FUCKING FROG', or omitt every message sent by a certain user. the possibilities are endless.

Ok, I fully understand now. Thank you for your time.

I love signaal and wire... But nobody used them. That's sucks. I use now fb messenger :(

libsodium isn't the "cryptographic network library" to which they are referring

Just checked it out and it looks like it will work perfect, thanks user.

Please tell me, how is it better than a self-hosted XMPP and OTR?

Hey, can you please share your .filter ? I want to take a look because I have no idea on how to start with that.

5RuHL5LQnT9G RE52qtKC9mCi

Normally I would be using Tox since it's a /g/ project, and I tend to support other anons' efforts. However it stopped using it because it has excessive activity on port 33445 and causes packet loss or bandwidth congestion especially when I'm gaming. There's also a couple of strange glitches of friends appearing as offline when they're actually online, that gets temporarily fixed by restarting the client.

It would still be my go-to for secure communications, but once all that is fixed.

They probably have all the main botnet websites and they're already running windows so i doubt they actually care about that shit.
And youcan run tor yourself, your retarded butt buddies don't need to run it.

They are all peer-to-peer wtf

I love the idea and actually using it wasn't too bad, but sadly it's too slow and bloated. I think that all the email and announcement and such stuff are unnecessary and the main window is too hard to navigate. Never seen anybody actually using it. Good luck getting 50 people using it to make use of most of it's features.

The last time I checked it about 2 years ago it was extremely barebones and buggy. It didn't even have a fucking contact list. Now it's officially GNU™ and seems to be actively developed, unlike Tox. Not sure if it's portable though and how group chats are handled. Might give it a try now and see what it has over Tox.

It's still to-go solution to decentralized shitposting. Even managed to convert many normalfags who can't even comprehend how it works. The support for multiple profiles, the nospam id, the support for name servers and the portability really make it the best choice right now. Shame that the atrocious qTox is the only actually working client which makes use of them. The clusterfuckery with the million half-finished, slowflake clients and the retarded standard which didn't even account for group chats was a mistake.