Stories of normies getting Holla Forums shrekt?

I bring you a quick story of some normie who jumped on the cryptocurrency bandwagon with no understanding whatsoever of what it is and how it works and of course owning herself xirself? in the process.

github.com/almindor/etherwall/issues/27
archive.is/https://github.com/almindor/etherwall/issues/27

Share your stories of normies trying (and failing) to use technology.

I can't wait until venture capital leaves blockchain behind so we can do some cool stuff with it.

Vitalik is responsible because he was too retarded to add a checksum system to prevent mistyped addresses.

so, how would that work, user? the checksum would magically know 'oh, nobody owns that particular address'? maybe if he'd typed the wrong number of digits, sure.

Bitcoin managed to do it, if you change some random character in a bitcoin address it will detect it's invalid because the checksum won't match.

Yes. That's how checksums work. Suppose I have a small 2-digit crypto coin address I want to add checksums to. My checksum is this: add the two digits of the address together, and the checksum is that sum modulo 10. If I want to send money to user 78, the checksum would calculated (7 + 8) = 5 (mod 10). Because 7 + 8 is 15, and 15 mod 10 is 5, the checksum is 5. The whole address would then be 785.

Now, if I see the address 795, I can attempt to verify the checksum, and see that 7+9 != 5 (mod 10). I don't have to know whether or not 79 is a valid address, and I don't know which of the digits were mistyped (although this could be solved with error-correcting codes). What I do know is that the address doesn't match the given checksum, so I had better ask the user to type it in again.

That's just a small mitigation. Someone could still accidentally copy/paste the wrong address, or one of a million other things could go wrong. Autists love to sperg all day about how you're literally Hitler if you don't implement their neat little best practice like what you just mentioned, or password hashing for another example. Truly one of today's biggest cancers of the internet.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR
OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE,
ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR
OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

more like retarded normies who expect to be spoonfed and everything to be tailor-made for their use by "some nerds i dunno xD"
It's a good thing things like these happen, maybe they'll stop shitting up reasonable software and fuck off back to windows 10

It's a big mitigation, of course people will always find a way to fuck up but a checksum prevents a lot of mistakes.
You'll never get out of your basement with that attitude.

If you want your software to be successful it has to be normie friendly, this is how the world works.

for you
yes, if goal is to make some cookie cut corporate product and you need to dilute your liability

get out you smug insufferable faggot. If I wanted to be told how the real world works every 5 minutes by people who don't know a fraction of what I know, I'd go back to Stack Overflow in 2008.

I personally really hate people who implement things like this, and avoid their software (not like I'd ever use the ethermeme in the first place). Stupid cunts like you never shut up about your best practices, you're like the American wingnuts of "engineering". Every fucking website I visit has some stupid ass registration form because hurr durr if we had password policy #523526 it would have saved over 9000 people from getting hacked, and 2FA, and email verification. This shit is fucking cancer and you are cancer.

And why would I want them?

That's unfortunate but hilarious. I triple check the heck out of all my transactions.

Obviously xi likes to go by XIA now, you shitlord.

you gonna have to wait a long time for that bruh, forgot who fucking said this but the world is gonna fight for those 21 million coins, and the fucking buzzards arent gonna miss one second of the buffet

also you could make your own chain if you actually had cool stuff you wanted to do, kikes like JPmorgan sure are

do any of you fags have strong opinions on segwit and the softfork? finally made the effort to kinda look into it, it fucking stinks, I smell niggas angling, but I will admit that im retarded and paranoid/delusional

im hoping all this shit blows over and coin tanks throughout august so i can grabs me some mo a dat crypto cheep

Normie-friendliness is a major expense in itself.

You deserve everything you get if you fall for this meme.

Alright, Mr.Goldstein.

It does because every normie think it does. I get your point retard, buy firearms if you want real money.

You have neglected to address the fact that you are obviously a kike trying to subvert coins so people can not escape your banks.

The idea of all fiat currency is that you can convince others your worthless shit is valuable, which is why everyone here has a lot of opinions and can't buy a clue with them

Increase the blocksize, it's what satoshi suggested.

This. Facebook/phones killed the internet, and you want the same thing to happen to your project?