Why do audiences prefer 3D films over 2D films?

Jayden Mitchell
Jayden Mitchell

Looking at the films released between 2000 and '05 and comparing Disney's releases from Bolt to Wreck-It Ralph, roughly estimated, audiences do seem to prefer watching 3D animated films over 2D films. Does anyone have any clue why?

I'm asking about the American film industry.

All urls found in this thread:
http://cwseed.com/shows/vixen
Dominic Adams
Dominic Adams

All your answers will lead to Disney.

Aaron Jackson
Aaron Jackson

Don't get what you mean, but Disney was the last major company to pull out of 2D animation.

Dominic Taylor
Dominic Taylor

Why do audiences prefer 3D films over 2D films?
Do they?

Adam Jones
Adam Jones

Maybe 2D just doesn't seem NEW and EXCITING and BIG SCREEN WORTHY anymore. From a studio's perspective it may look like audiences think that, but I doubt they actually care that much. Still, no one is crying for stop motion films every year. Of course Disney will always spin it as part of their legacy, working in a little Eric Goldberg here and there.

Justin Brown
Justin Brown

simply because 3D is often less cartoony and so not "just for kids"

I doubt parents personally want to watch either but when given the choice they'd rather 3D. I imagine it's largely an unconscious decision

Carter Richardson
Carter Richardson

I'd say it falls under the same reasoning as how many videogames are sold.
3 dimensions are more visually stimulating than 2.
The prettier product sells better.
Visuals are fairly superficial to some, but most don't agree and in the case of a passive entertainment medium it is made substantially less of a superficial aspect.

And then Japan keeps doing the old thing and they win an award in 2001 for Spirited Away but for every subsequent year the academy is like
No
Rango is better that Arrietty because we said so, fuck you

Aiden Thomas
Aiden Thomas

Rango is better that Arrietty because we said so, fuck you

It is better, though.

Jose Butler
Jose Butler

simply because 3D is often less cartoony and so not "just for kids"
If we went by that mentality shouldn't we have a successful primetime 3D animated cartoon for The Simpsons/Family Guy audience by now?

Camden Green
Camden Green

Rango was more interesting but Arriety is the superior product through animation and passion.

Angel James
Angel James

It seems to have little to do with what audiences want, but rather what studios are willing to spend money on. The major studios are already heavily invested in 3D animation, so why go back to old fashioned 2D?

Robert Brown
Robert Brown

2D is just better suited for TV animated sitcoms

Oliver Barnes
Oliver Barnes

I don't know about audiences but Disney got rid of their 2D animation because Winnie The Pooh failed to do well against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Luis Morris
Luis Morris

All these people defending 3D.

Zachary Davis
Zachary Davis

And PATF underpreformed
Stay mad nostalgiafag

Jack King
Jack King

2D takes more effort passion, and time, looks better, and gives off better aesthetics.
"LOL NOSTALGIA LOL"
3D fags people. Not even once.

Brandon Davis
Brandon Davis

You both are a couple of fags. Passion is overrated when you're ==overbudget== . And, simplicity is often used as an excuse to be sloppy.

Dominic Richardson
Dominic Richardson

Why can't I red text properly today?

Josiah Carter
Josiah Carter

Kek
I don't need to take shit from newfags.

Asher Green
Asher Green

One of the reason I love the internet. We always give eachother nothing but
shit
all day long, but we still kiss and make up.

Adrian Watson
Adrian Watson

but we still kiss and make up.
Lol gay

Daniel Bell
Daniel Bell

Quick, if you reply back to me again, you'll get…
Doubles!

Alexander Reed
Alexander Reed

user pls

CGI movies still count as 2d

Luis Jones
Luis Jones

Shit you stole my dubs.

Henry Johnson
Henry Johnson

It's not that audiences prefer 3D over 2D, it's just that these days, 2D films are far more expensive than 3D films

In a lot of ways, 3D films are a gimmick that overstayed its welcome

Isaac Reyes
Isaac Reyes

Blame the moron in the Doug thread who posted just before I hit reply.

Logan Ramirez
Logan Ramirez

They don't. Studios prefer them because they're cheaper and easier to make. Most of the traditionally animated films coming out during the period you described suffered from a considerable lack of promotion

Lincoln Watson
Lincoln Watson

cheaper
Nah

Aaron Fisher
Aaron Fisher

significantly
once a model is built, rigged, and has had its various physics bits applied (jiggle bones, cloths, hair, etc), it can be posed, animated, and rendered infinitely in a short amount of time

Parker Scott
Parker Scott

So that explains why the models have some similarities.

Owen Moore
Owen Moore

Well, 2D still dominates television, although it does use 3D modeling for things like vehicles and some effects.

Audiences initially likely preferred 3D because it was something new, and Pixar's Toy Story films appealed to adults more than most of 2D animation produced so far. Same with Shrek. Success of these films led to audiences assuming "3D = kinds and me will have fun," and for studios discarding 2D in favor of 3D feature films to make more money.

However, since good looking 3D animation took money, hardware, and quite a bit of time, it wasn't as viable for television. Limitations in things like rendering water, hair, and going off model certainly didn't help, although they have been mostly dealt with it right now. Besides that, around the time 3D movies were rising to prominence, 2D animation in TV was experiencing somewhat of a little Renaissance with many great CN, some Nick series, Adult Swim, and McFarlane's cartoons.

These circumstances solidified division between 3D = films, 2D = TV. But what do I know, I am just a faggot on an image board.

Rango vs Arrietty
To be honest, that's quite a tough choice. Both films looked gorgeous, had great designs, solid stories, and were entertaining. Tie would be the fairest result, but in case of Oscars ties are unheard of.

Isaac Price
Isaac Price

Minor detail, but WB cartoons also were part of that 2D animated TV series Renaissance of late 90s/early 00s, and it could be argued that they were the ones that actually initiated it.

Kevin Cooper
Kevin Cooper

I was just going by budgets

Daniel Allen
Daniel Allen

Oddly enough they're bringing back Constantine as a animsted show.

Brayden Taylor
Brayden Taylor

Constantine

Jack Carter
Jack Carter

Really? Looks good. Hope the animation is up to snuff.

Cameron Richardson
Cameron Richardson

Looks kind of cheap, but it might be better in motion. Who are they aiming cartoon towards, kids or teens and young adults?

Dylan Price
Dylan Price

CW is geared more towards the teenager/young adults crowd (With some saying it's also the replacement for UPN).

However, I'd advise that you look up Vixen. It was a one-off miniseries they did a while back (That is canon to the Arrowverse), so it may be a good way to judge what to expect of Constantine.

Brody Torres
Brody Torres

Slight update, that I didn't know about until now. Vixen got a second season that aired near the end of last year:

http://cwseed.com/shows/vixen

Eli Ortiz
Eli Ortiz

I don't know why audiences, maybe because they feel it can either be more 'realistic' or just do what 2d cant (a unfair statement I'd say)
Meanwhile the big thing is that STUDIOS love it because it's so much easier to reuse assets and animations without being as noticeable as 2D, there are numerous other cost cutting techniques involved in 3D but a lot of them escape me at the moment.

Mason Lopez
Mason Lopez

It looks like the animation they've been using for a while now in their movies. It's gonna be shit and even more stiff and stuttery than Justice League Action.

Noah Gomez
Noah Gomez

With some saying it's also the replacement for UPN
It is the replacement for UPN. They literally merged The WB and UPN together

Daniel Myers
Daniel Myers

Toy Story cost less to make than whatever big Disney Renaissance film was coming out at the time (I think it was Pocahontas). That was when the technology was at its infancy and therefore the most expensive to produce.

Budgets for these films are usually inflated because they spend the money on getting tons of big name celebrities and other, superfluous, shit.

Angel Collins
Angel Collins

Vixen
I remember seeing that. It was meh, the animation is a bit stiff at times and Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin aren't that great as voice actors.

Ryder Rogers
Ryder Rogers

make hand-drawn movie on a relatively low budget
give it a wide release
market it heavily
make profit
Disney experimented with this in 2003, when they gave us Lilo & Stitch, which did really well. But then we got Treasure Planet, which bombed so badly that Disney's hand-drawn department was shut down.

Then they forgot about this shit entirely. Princess and the Frog's budget was waaaay too high. No hand-drawn animated movie should cost more than 50 million.

Aiden Rodriguez
Aiden Rodriguez

So handrawn animation is dead in the West then or will someone else try to take it up?

Justin Wood
Justin Wood

*Japan and French smiled while giving animated wave*

Bentley Harris
Bentley Harris

I think 3D was an exciting novelty for a long time since people had been used to 2D animation for the last 70 years. And since they were cheaper to produce (more profitable) than 2D, companies just pulled out of the 2D market altogether.

Also, vid related. Skip to 04:52. And, I know
Cuck Walker
But I think he has a point here.

Bentley Reyes
Bentley Reyes

Well Japan isn't Western but the French stuff seems pretty interesting. Are the Russians still doing animation?

Aiden Garcia
Aiden Garcia

I actually liked when he did that Disneycember thing. Now I think he does the Marvel movies for Disneycember.

Dylan Sanders
Dylan Sanders

I think he also did Star Wars, but I haven't watched any of his content in years. I think he did the right thing by ending Nostalgia Critic, and almost everything he's done since he brought it back was pure cancer.

Nathan Hughes
Nathan Hughes

Vixen was enjoyable enough, but there was a few problems with it:
every voice actor from the live actions was shit
I can't tell if they were actually shit or I was just too used to how they look on film versus this. Might of just been their voices seeming out of place with a virtual depiction that wasn't quite right.
The second season had Felicity in it, and she wasn't that bad.
the release format
Weekly releases of 4 minute episodes was a bit jarring. They should just release the whole episode at once on CW Seed and chuck it on the channel one night as a special after the main shows. Otherwise, they suffer from low viewership, and they don't really advertise it. I only found out S2 was released because I wrote it down on a calendar when the first season came out.
the firestorm appearance
Oh god, this was awful. Painful, in fact.
Worse off, it was situated after the first season of Vixen, but before Legends of Tomorrow started, so it was a bit confusing if you watched it and certain characters appeared randomly.

Didn't hear about Constantine. Rather spoopy, as I finished rewatching the series just a few hours before they announced it at that expo.

Russian animation died after the USSR fell apart.

William Cox
William Cox

Webm or get out

Brandon Stewart
Brandon Stewart

But then we got Treasure Planet, which bombed so badly that Disney's hand-drawn department was shut down.
It bombed because it had shit promotion. There were also production difficulties. Disney wanted it to fail so they'd have just cause in shutting down their traditional animation department

Noah Bailey
Noah Bailey

Are the Russians still doing animation?
Yes, Masha and the bear is still doing very well and the current highest grossing films there are 2D animations based of russian folklores, like "Three Heroes on Distant Shores".

Jace Roberts
Jace Roberts

tumblr
fuck off

Cameron Brown
Cameron Brown

There are a hell of a lot more kids learning 3d animation than there are learning 2d. It just isn't economically reasonable anymore. There will always be some 2d but it will smaller passion projects.

Carson Barnes
Carson Barnes

Masha is very popular in smaller countries. Having cheap licensing fee means they are easily affordable.

Three Heroes? You mean the Three Bogatyrs? They are fucking funny.

Connor Smith
Connor Smith

Don Bluth returned to get a Dragon's Lair made. The biggest draw of the whole project is that the film will be traditionally animated.

Leo Parker
Leo Parker

FUCK YES.

TWAS I WHO FUCKED THE DRAGON SING FUCKALIE SING FUCKALOO AND IF YOU TRY TO FUCK WITH ME THEN I WILL FUCK YOU TOO!

William Bell
William Bell

You think Nerdland bombed because it wasn't played up as 2D animated? Or did it bomb because it sucked?

Nathaniel Martinez
Nathaniel Martinez

I know two of the people working on it. They worked on the original game too.

William Campbell
William Campbell

throughout the entirety of JLU they never once said what her superhero name was. If you didn't know her from the comics you were stuck not knowing her

Carson Taylor
Carson Taylor

throughout the entirety of JLU they never once said what her superhero name was
Yes they did

Julian Parker
Julian Parker

which episode? GL just always called her Mari. I don't think Hawkgirl ever called her by name, and everyone else pretty much just didn't talk to or about her

Colton Morris
Colton Morris

Different user here.
Ya know. I had always assumed that was just her pet name or real name. I would figure her super hero name would be more, feral?

Gabriel Moore
Gabriel Moore

Well, it's not

Nathan Rogers
Nathan Rogers

shit, I guess I never caught it. That might be the only mention in the series though

Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller

Probably. Martian Manhunter is only referred to as such once in the entire series

Ryan Jackson
Ryan Jackson

My fear here is that they will retro-actively "empower" Daphne. They did it with Crash Bandicoot and I have no doubt they'll do it here.

Jace Powell
Jace Powell

If they don't then there'll be a feminist backlash on the damsel in distress trope. Most likely they don't have the backbone to resist that backlash.

Christopher Perry
Christopher Perry

If they don't then there'll be a feminist backlash on the damsel in distress trope
Retards will be retarded if they don't be retarded in turn? I know that will happen but I'm saying that is a negative thing.

Justin Adams
Justin Adams

It is negative. You can't win in this situation. Or at least they can't.

Jason Thompson
Jason Thompson

You can't win in this situation.
Ignoring feminist backlash doesn't have any actual monetary negative, so that seems the smarter decision.

Jaxson Turner
Jaxson Turner

here
when she heard they were considering changing Princess Daphne's design to be less sexy, Mary Quaife (effects animator on the original game and working on the movie) actually voiced some incredulity.
Daphne's design may end up unaltered even if her personality is stronk womyn

Eli Foster
Eli Foster

Daphne's design may end up unaltered even if her personality is stronk womyn
I mean that's still a shitty state.

Jayden Ross
Jayden Ross

I always find it funny that it's the women (Not the men) in production that demand skimpier when it comes to the female characters.

Austin Russell
Austin Russell

Sex sells

Justin Sanchez
Justin Sanchez

Men are emasculated losers for the most part ESPECIALLY the ones working in media. They're neutered PC drones and Nice Guys. So they think that pussy begging will impress their chances to get Female Validation. And with that? Hopefully get some sex.

It's poetic justice that these losers get cucked and such. Either that or these are angry betas de-sexualizing women because they want to deprive general male audiences of any fanservice (except the males working in Japan ha ha!).

Colton Reed
Colton Reed

friendly reminder that with programs like Flash as well as the small handful of open source programs, 2D animation is also getting that cost-cutting effect that CGI has had for years. If the amount of technology is so great that artist can literally use the Unity Engine's pipeline to realtime rendering, it doesn't even begin to describe the sheer amount of potential to increase efficiency of 2D animation.

Nicholas Peterson
Nicholas Peterson

Flash is a very ineffective tool for animation, Toon Boon is better but the price is artificially high.

Landon Phillips
Landon Phillips

I sincerely think it's because 3D looks like it has more depth in color and other things visually. Like compare the two in your pic. The audience will be more attracted to the left because it looks more complex despite the right moving more organically and flowingly. 3D at least is on a level where it can mimic the organic animation of 2D, but it's much more complicated due to the fact that animators are molding and manipulating the model instead of adding frames which could allow more freedom in animation. If you want the return of 2D animation, I can guarentee that normies want something like this:

Ryan Fisher
Ryan Fisher

Youtube link is broke

Sebastian Moore
Sebastian Moore

they don't, 3d is just cheaper

Justin Jenkins
Justin Jenkins

Vimeo, and it's working for me.

Dylan Rivera
Dylan Rivera

Vid related is in cell shading CGI.
Now cgi is relatively faster since you don't have to redraw every asset and model each time, but it cost more since engine softwares charge around 1000 USD a week for renting the program besides animators having this compulsion of animating everything instead of letting some physics engine run some shit so they can focus in the important stuff (I compare that help to using black sheets for BTAS instead of coloring white ones besides the designs)

Cooper Young
Cooper Young

Shit, posted prematurely.
Usually you have CGI animators busting their souls out about how they had to program the physics instead of using Havok or any cheaper videogame engine like CryEngine rather than ILM's VX as if they couldn't do the same job, probably contact related.

Also pic related is awesome, I made a thread recently but got 404'd really fast, is fun, understandable for older kids, fair and as unbiased as you can get with WW2.
Is about two french kids going to live with their grandpas in Normandy during all WW2.
You have asshole Nazi soldiers, gentle Nazi soldiers, neutral lawful Nazi commander, asshole racist French, even jewish kids being send to peaceful towns in Normandy instead of the camps and the resistance doing heinous acts like using patriotic kids as suicide mission tools, not even teens in some cases.
Also I love plots about kids growing up, especially for 6 years when you can see them being wimpy kids to more independent understanding kids, and in the case of Muget to wait till she gets hot.

Justin Mitchell
Justin Mitchell

Not to mention that some 3D engines can make 2D too and far more easier.

Henry Parker
Henry Parker

picking out the most expansive CGI movie
not accounting that the cost is massivley inflated due to it being in production since 2000
with at lleast two known aborts that are still accounted for
the actual movie was most likley around a third of the 260 million

Ayden Barnes
Ayden Barnes

Still compare PatF's budget to say Frozen or Inside Out

Liam Butler
Liam Butler

You're still assuming budget == production cost.

As always with these things the majority of the budget often ends up going to promotion and if a company doesn't have as much confidence in something they aren't going to sink as much money into it.

Adrian Gutierrez
Adrian Gutierrez

2d films are for kids while 3d films are TOTALLY SUBVERSIVE YO even though every single 3d animated movie does the exact same dreamworks shit where they are sold on being different despite literally all being the same. You can't all be fucking Shrek because Shrek already did that and now everything is Shrek

Jayden Peterson
Jayden Peterson

Is it any different than everything being Disney in the 90s?
You're not providing much evidence either

Levi Torres
Levi Torres

Not sure.

Ethan Nelson
Ethan Nelson

You have to change the culture to make them profitable.

Zachary Baker
Zachary Baker

the reason they are using 3d is because 3d looks pretty and stimulating and everything is about stimulation these days..

that and it is faster and cheaper and can do almost everything 2d can. there's a simple charm in 2d though that i think is very hard to produce in 3d. also i think 3d makes it easy to be lazy and not put in sufficient love and attention to detail.

Joseph Gomez
Joseph Gomez

2d > 3d for me.

Evan Kelly
Evan Kelly

i think old animation films show an amazing amount of creativity that new movies cant hold a candle to.

Samuel Butler
Samuel Butler

but i suppose that has more to do with the people and not neccessarily 3d/2d.

Josiah Wilson
Josiah Wilson

faster and cheaper
Literally yes, but engine owners up prices to ridiculous numbers.

Oliver Ross
Oliver Ross

This is not like video game companies who must pay the license fee for the game engine they use for their games . Animation can be made with stuff like Maya but you only need to pay the software once.

Ethan Brooks
Ethan Brooks

They don't. The industry just wants them to think they do.

Jace Lewis
Jace Lewis

I think they're tied by contracts to use specific engines.
Is not about the fees but about the engines being rented, is true they could use game engines to lower the costs tough.

Michael Rodriguez
Michael Rodriguez

Renting? When I learn 3D animation there's no such thing as renting engine. You purchase the software and use them whatever you want like other softwares. Game engines are different because they have scripts as well.

Here's the basic of 3D animation:
1. You "sculpt" items and characters. When done you can use them for various scenes.
2. Create "skin" for your "sculptures" Usually done with photoshop and illustrator softwares.
3. Create an "Environment" for your "characters" complete with lighting.
4. Set the movements, you can use motion capture or you can animate them yourself.
5. Create a scene.
6. Render.
7. Sleep, because rendering took a long ass time.
8. Done!

Also yes, 3D animation is still way cheaper. With 2D you must draw thousands and thousands of scenes with hand or digitally. With 3D you only need to "sculp" Woody or Buzz Lightyear once and you can use them for various scenes. Why do you think Toy Story is one of Pixar's choice of animation? Because 3D animation is like playing with your action figure, digitally.

Parker Cooper
Parker Cooper

Why do you think Toy Story is one of Pixar's choice of animation? Because 3D animation is like playing with your action figure, digitally
I thought the story behind that choice was that the hardware nor software were good enough back then to render good skin and everything looked like plastic so they went with toys rather than people, proof being that people skin look like plastic in Toy Story 1.
Also, what if you pirate the engine? Will someone ever notice?

Brayden Wright
Brayden Wright

Oh yeah that's too. I mean my teacher even frowned upon cell shading skin back then (when it still looks like Viewtiful Joe). But in less than a decade we already have stuff like Tangled and Frozen with great lifelike skin.

Also, what if you pirate the engine? Will someone ever notice?

Nope, go pirate away. No one will notice. 3DSMax and Maya are so expensive and their options really strangle people who want to learn 3D animation for fun. I mean seriously, Monthly, Annually and Perpetual license? Fuck that.

This is why I appreciate Adobe Flash. Yes it was a clunky software but it's affordable enough (or easily pirated) so people can learn the basic of animation and gave birth to many animators we knew today.

Kayden Ortiz
Kayden Ortiz

Use a proxy; not my fault you live in a third-world shithole that blocks websites because of nipslips but allows public beheadings.

Austin Martinez
Austin Martinez

Nope, go pirate away. No one will notice. 3DSMax and Maya are so expensive and their options really strangle people who want to learn 3D animation for fun.
Got nostalgic, my STEM highschool used to pirate SolidWorks.

Zachary Nguyen
Zachary Nguyen

Nope, go pirate away. No one will notice. 3DSMax and Maya are so expensive and their options really strangle people who want to learn 3D animation for fun. I mean seriously, Monthly, Annually and Perpetual license? Fuck that.

No mention of Blender, a 100% free 3D program for those who want to mess with 3D animation (With, it's own internal game engine),.

Jack King
Jack King

Dude im from Burger land

Ryan James
Ryan James

Blender's interface is awful and unintuitive for people trying to learn. Suggesting blender is like telling someone who wants to make some text files to use fucking emacs. Sure, a few autists are going to like it and stick around, and proceed to tell everyone who doesn't like it that they are wrong terrible people.

The point of having a graphical user interface is accessibility.

Hunter Reed
Hunter Reed

Wow, I upset you so much that you had to post twice.

Anyways, the biggest draw of Blender, outside of being free, is how customizable it is. Also, I've been told that it prioritizes productivity of accessibility. And, I can understand why that makes the software unapproachable for some.

Jack Jackson
Jack Jackson

Meant to say "Productivity over accessibility".

Tyler Bailey
Tyler Bailey

We got it

Noah Harris
Noah Harris

Blender, like Gimp got very clunky interface. The upside of capitalism is that for profit companies tend to make their products easier to use.

Justin King
Justin King

What's your reccomendation for a learner.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page