Devuan released (debian fork without systemd)

Somehow I noticed Holla Forums didn't have a thread about it already so I thought I'd point it out. Devuan released its second release candidate on May 5th. The release is called Devuan Jessie 1.0 RC2.

Distrowatch: distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=devuan

IRC server is Freenode:
#debianfork - First channel to appear following the announcement of the fork. It is now a place for more social interactions between community members.
#devuan - The general help and discussion channel for Devuan users.
#devuan-arm - Channel specific to Devuan on embedded ARM systems.
#devuan-dev - Where the developers gather to do development shit.

Various Devuan teams gather in their own channels:
#devuan-art for Devuan artwork and design
#devuan-news for collaborative news editing
#devuan-www for the Devuan Web presence

Thoughts? Is anyone using it?

Other urls found in this thread:

git.devuan.org>
ci.devuan.org>
bugs.devuan.org>
dev1galaxy.org>
popcon.devuan.org>
files.devuan.org>
forums.linuxmint.com/index.php
how.new.ru/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why would any?
gentoo > debian

I moved from Gentoo to Debian out of convenience. I just re-package the stuff I need that differ from default instead of compiling everything. There are things I really like about Gentoo, but sometimes it feels like you're just compiling to compile.

This guys are two years too late.

Can we contact the linux mint devs and ask them to switch from debian + ubuntu to devuan, or at least drop the systemd?
Or would it be better to just shill manjaro and try to ruin linux mint's reputation?

What's the point? I don't understand these systemd memes. Looks to me that systemd is free software, so what's up witht his autism?

And I'm a fan of slackware, but to my understanding debian is used for its convenience, and now there's a fully functional systemd-free debian for those guys.

Different Jessie. Devuan has its own naming scheme. They name their releases after minor planets. They just started on the same name as a Debian release.

Please go shill somewhere else. You're not blending in. You should know there's already a shill thread here to talk about all the systemd insanity.

I don't care about systemd because it's free software. For other people, the fact that it's free software is irrelevant. I won't rehash the details but the hate boils down to "I don't trust the architecture of systemd". For me, I will trust it because it is free software.

This is dumb.
I like systemd. I think it's trustworthy, and most of the criticism of systemd (and all of the sensible criticism) is about technical flaws, not about deliberate malicious backdoors.
But free software is capable of being just plain shit, or even actively malicious. It's not the only criterium you should have.

I completely agree. These facts are the reason why I only accept free software. Free software means I am always allowed to study, modify and share the software that I use. Whenever I feel the software needs to be modified, I have to freedom to do it.

Now let's take a hypothetical example of Systemd. Let's say that my installation of Systemd has proven to have a certain backdoor as a consequence of its inherent architecture. I estimate the cost of rearchitecting Systemd to cost $600000 and 12 months for a team of 6 developers. Now that I have this knowledge, I will find a community of software users who are all willing to share this burden of development with me. I can do all this because I have freedom.

Freedom is the first criterium I have with software because it is impossible to control my software without it. When I have freedom, the question then becomes "what kind of investment will it take to develop this current version of my software into the version that I demand".

So if I write you an open source virus, you'd install it because it's free software? Good to know. "Free software" isn't a magic spell for trustworthiness, dumbass.

That's really not how it works. Free software doesn't mean you can just expect to get a ton of people to volunteer for free to help you rewrite shit when you're unhappy. This does seem like Poettering's kind of logic though: "if shit fucks up I can just get other people to fix it for me." Except sometimes the best fix is to stop running systemd and switch to something better. But why are you determined to shit up a thread about devuan with your pro-systemd bullshit anyway. Just fuck off to the systemd thread already if you need a place to shill. Cripes. I know you're a shill but control yourself please.

Polite sage for off-topic.

Dear Init Freedom Lovers,

Once again the Veteran Unix Admins salute you!

Many of you might remember November 2014 when we announced that
we were going to fork Debian. Well, we have done exactly that. It
has been a long process, but now over two years later, we proudly
present Devuan Jessie 1.0.0 Stable.

There have been no significant bug reports since Devuan Jessie
RC2 was announced only three weeks ago and the list of release
critical bugs is now empty. So finally Devuan Jessie Stable is
ready for release! As promised, this will also be a
Long-Term-Support (LTS) release. Our team will participate in
providing patches, security updates, and release upgrades beyond
the planned lifespan of Debian Jessie.

A lot of appreciation has been coming our way in the last few
weeks. And now with this Stable release we anticipate that even
the most skeptical among private and enterprise users will
finally be ready to jump on the Devuan train.

Devuan Jessie 1.0.0 Stable is a major milestone in the new path
drawn by the Devuan project and its development has provided an
opportunity to lay down a strong foundation for the Devuan
community. In the last two years we have put in place a powerful
infrastructure to support the development and growth of Devuan,
which now includes:

- Source management git.devuan.org>
- Continuous integration ci.devuan.org>
- Bug tracking bugs.devuan.org>
- User forum dev1galaxy.org>
- Package statistics and analysis popcon.devuan.org>

During the Jessie release cycle we have strenghtened and
optimised these services and also migrated to more powerful
hardware to cope with the increased loads we have experienced.

The ambitious plan to provide a no-nonsense universal GNU+Linux
distribution does not stop here - it extends beyond this release.

Our main development efforts will now turn to Devuan ASCII (Minor
Planet #3568), which will be the next stable release. We are
confident that the preliminary ASCII ISOs could be available for
testing soon. Beyond ASCII - the saga of Beowulf (Minor Planet
#38086) appropriately mirrors the path we have taken. :^)

Please find below instructions to try out or install Devuan
Jessie 1.0.0 Stable on your computer and to upgrade from Debian
7 (Wheezy) or Debian 8 (Jessie). If you are already using Devuan
Jessie RC2, a simple `apt-get update && apt-get upgrade` will be
enough to get the latest updates.

## Download (for new installs)

Official Devuan images are distributed via the website
files.devuan.org>

Boring.
Stretch or gettho fucko outo.

Can you cite the differences with Debian aside from systemd being cut out/being optional?

Manjaro-OpenRC is also a nice option.

Retard

Complete and total bullshit. Most of the arguments against systemd are MUH BLOAT, MUH UNIX which are subjective/philosophical arguments based on arbitrary definitions of bloat. Meanwhile the Unix philosophy goes out the window and they have no problem with other software being "bloated" as long as it's software they like. But when there are optional daemons that aren't enabled by default then it's a problem

Strawman, not an argument retard.

It's developed mainly by the VUA

Stop being this mad about the opinions of others.

I agree that they're bad arguments, but I still see them as technical arguments. They're based on technical properties of the system, even if hypocritically.

Can you fuck off to the systemd thread already? SERIOUSLY.

Is there an IRC channel for shitposting? I'd love to get some shitposting in.

You can try the social channel (#debianfork), but don't be surprised if it turns out they don't share your sense of humor.

I have used it for 2-3 weeks as main OS, its fully functional and its not bloated as other distros.... performance is almost "gentoo-like" and i like it alot. But i have switched back to gentoo because i have strong autism.

for example, what's the most important convenience in it?

Easy to use, easy to maintain, stable and won't introduce bugs and regressions with an update.

You can make shell scripts when the new stable version of Debian is released and rest assured that, for the next 5 years, you'll get security updates, you won't have to change those scripts and the system will run as good as it did the first day.

proprietary pig disgusting

This would only be useful if they're going to take up the abandoned Mir project (display server freedom), otherwise why not just use OpenBSD or Gentoo? Are at least a third of the Debian repo forked by now, otherwise what sets it apart from the other thousand FotM nosoftware projects?

So it takes 8 hours to emerge wpa-supplicant?

I have been using it for months now. Its Pretty Comfy® and It Just Works!™.

it's run by an SJW, pretty much obvious that it's controlled opposition

It offers a good base to build a normalfag Linux distro without systemd.

You shills are getting really desperate I see.

Retard.

Stop feeding the shill you faggot. Although it wouldn't surprise me if you were one of those shills who intentionally engages the other shill to give them more fodder to reply off of.

Try the forums, I guess, but I wouldn't hold out high hopes. They're already aware of devuan, and I think they consider it easier to just go with systemd. Their releases all have systemd atm.

forums.linuxmint.com/index.php

I think it would be easier to distribute a devuan ricing setup to be more mint-like than to convince mint admins to switch to devuan.

Manjaro OpenRC is fine but I'm not seeing why people would switch from mint to manjaro. They tend to occupy different niches. Ruining linux mint's reputation is also kinda dumb. You want to provide a better alternative, not bitch people out.

This entire thread is shills.

t. shill expert here

no that is not a strawman at all

Don't make the bird angry.

Devuan really needs more documentation. I can't find in the page guides to the minimal install .iso (they redirect to the Debian install page, but that only contains information regarding Debian-Installer which isn't included in the minimal Devuan iso.)

It also lacks basic information like how long is each distro going to be supported, or how updated it is compared to Debian Stable.

sage undone

It's piss easy to remove systemd yourself if you don't want it, so does this have anything else going for it over Debian?

Are you saying that this Devuan can run on a computer without systemd underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?
That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then RedHat would be selling computers without a systemd. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that systemd is more than just systemctl ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

RedHat just spent $9 billion and many years to create systemd, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. Canonical tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing upstart but could never keep up with systemd. Gentoo tried to create their own system for years, but are finally about to give up recently introduced systemd as an optional init.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Devuan could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of systemd. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

if you love UNIX so much why do you use GNU?

GNU's Not Unix!

binary performance, software is running fast

I used it once, almost every driver except for the graphics was working after first boot
I dont know if this distro is particuralny faster, didnt saw the difference

Retard. Go look up the definition

You should probably use the IRC to get in touch with the Devuan team and let them know so they can fix that. This should be an easy enough fix.

"Devuan" is millenial codespeak for "I'm too stupid to run Gentoo"

I tried Devuan the other day. Downloaded the desktop iso and ran the installer. Lots of problems and weirdness with the installer. So I installed a minimal Debian 8 and followed the upgrade instructions. That worked ok, but:
- you need to remove the systemd Debian installed
- no ffmpeg
- no backports 'Devuanized', so no java8
- couldn't install mate de without systemd creeping back in
I guess it's ok if you like XFCE and don't mind the software limitations. The live boot works well if you just want to check it out.

Looks to me that slavery is free enterprise, so what's up with the autism?

Free software implies users are always allowed to improve the software they use. All users are allowed to fix anything and everything. This implies that something will need fixing in the first place before you can choose to get it fixed.

MATE is a shitty meme DE inferior to Xfce in literally every way, so it sounds good. Do need ffmpeg though.

how.new.ru/

Don't they use the same sound systems?

xfce's audio mixer is really buggy on every distro except Debian.

ffs stop saying 'criterium'

Dodging systemd dependencies is a pain in the ass, mate.

By SJW, do you mean someone who doesn't want people to spam "Heil Hitler, gas the kikes, lynch the niggers and rape the bitches!" on the mailing lists?

Forget eternal september, we're living through some Lord Of The Flies tier shit right now.

Using Devuan on my Nokia N900. It's nice!

Yeah it's gotten dumb as hell. Between the systemd posters, shitposters, retards, and this weird shit. Holla Forums used to be better than this. It's why we came to Holla Forums and left /g/.

do you even Holla Forums

Remember, any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company. Guess what Holla Forums Holla Forums is guilty of?

Holla Forums didn't pretend to be idiots. That's what /g/ did and why we got the hell away from that. The idiots came anyway because they assumed imageboards are for memeposting and acting retarded, and they probavbly got attracted by Holla Forums and the US election.

sexy af

all the anti-systemd retards that don't know shit about technology attracted retards, but it isn't because they were pretending to be retards.

Sorry, Devuan, you're not ready.

Tried two other systemd-free distros. Void: wi-fi adapter wasn't detected at all. PCLinuxOS: wi-fi worked fine but KDE had a brainfart. Not a good first impression. There's still a load of distros I could try, but I have a hunch I'll ultimately give up and stay on Mint.

Wireless and monitor setup are quite separate from whatever init you booted with - missing firmware/modules and older Xfce having a shitty display tool (just use xrandr/arandr)

Tried MX Linux next, and NOTHING worked. I couldn't even run any program, just got error messages. Then Mint... just worked. I know this is not a matter of inits, but all the other distros fell short in some way.

Yeah, and that's universally true for production code. It's impossible to write bug-free code.

You should also be selective with the hardware you buy, not only whining about distros that happen to not be ad hoc for whatever you're using

What is it with you systemd faggots that you get so intensely butthurt over the presence of people who disapprove of systemd that you feel the need to insert your whining everywhere that people discuss non-systemd things? Go to the systemd thread already.

t. butthurt anti-systemdfag