PPI mania in smart devices

Mobile device producers are having a battle about who has the sharpest display with the most pixels per inch.
The new Samsung Galaxy S8 for example has over 500 ppi, but what is the benefit?

According to studies the avaerage person cant see beyond 229 ppi, in the past 324 ppi was considered the best standard.
The experts say getting devices with a higher ppi is not beneficial, no its counterproductive because the display starts to get blurry looked at from a distance.

All this mania just to feed the stupid masses.

say what you will about ppis but oled is still a better technology then lcd

Two words: "burn in". One more word: "yellowing".

Sure, a new OLED display is going to beat any new LCD. But a 3-year-old LCD is going to be better than any 3-year-old OLED that's yellowed and burned-in. Even the latest fancy AMOLEDs still have both problems.

Those of us who buy tech for the long-term, and don't throw out working tech just to have the latest gadget, are much better served by a decent IPS-or-better LCD.

my samsung note 3 is still going good

It lets programmers be retarded and snap everything to a pixel grid. No antialiasing, no kerning, no subpixel animation or font rendering.
You can see the fallout of it already by setting firefox to 70% zoom and scrolling a page slowly - watch as lines of text twitch around like a retarded epileptic seizure. This is the future of computing.

I've had my blackberry Q10 for a few years now and it doesnt have either problem. The backlit portion of the keyboard has started to turn yellow but the screen is fine. Maybe this is a problem if you use your phone as your primary computing device, but if you just use it as a phone it isnt.

uhh, I'm not even sure if it's possible to display non-antialiased text in firefux, and i've never have kerning problems in it either
meanwhile, my default thick non-antialiased fonts on the terminal are still much easier on the eyes than any of this fancy bullshit which only exists to create jobs
but please go on and insist that it's better to read a rainbow of slow shitty programs and web pages each with different "UI optimizations" and "design" than one uniform layout which was actually designed for reading

Are you slow? How did you make up that bullshit out of the post you're replying to?

not that user, but it seems like you're full of shit when you say
vid related

note 4 master race

This.
OLED whites become trashy after a year. The death of diodes can be prolonged by making the screen always sleep (low cycle hours) or by using a very dark theme without any trace of pure white which most manufacturers do.

Burn ins really suck. Most of devices these days guarantee "no burn in" (which is basically "we will replace if burned") and haven't done shit with the yellowing issue because fags like these >>750736 can't tell the difference even the customer support will say that it's fine.

Samsung is the leading manufacturer of OLED/AMOLED displays and even provide to most companies that use same technologies and I hate any samshit phone or TV with the red-greeny piss white (or maybe it's just me because it's certainly not as white as a normal TN or IPS LCD)

AM/OLEDs have really terrible color profile and most of them have destroyed the white point curve in order to push the 'infinite contrast ratio' meme and comes with really awful color saturation which you cannot fix even with a professional calibrator.

I do my paints on a TN LCD display and I can tell people that high PPI LCDs are a meme for paint purposes.
I prefer 90~ppi monitors. Line sharpness is essential to any artist be it realistic or stylized.
older TN LCDs produce more colors than modern high nits 'LED backlit' LCDs because they jacked shit to make them work under the bright sunlight (like laptops).
entry-level IPS aren't really that good (unless there is a matte IPS with square ratio and good response time which is a fucking myth)
OLEDs are the worst shit. Try wearing polarized sun glasses and look at the OLED abomination. That's what I see all the time.

220 ppi is optimal for phones but phones are shit. Even android's gallery app doesn't display images properly and scales them larger to match the shit ppi.

I can tell the difference, my whites are fine. Against as I said I only use it as a phone, not a primary computing device.

Blackberry fixed this problem by having them be at 45° angles

well that's pretty neat. how long's that phone been?

wut? it came out in 2013 if that is what you're asking.

it's fated to burn. few more years.

This is very true. My father's Samsung S3 has the status bar burned into the top of the display, and it's starting to yellow. Though, this doesn't effect usability; it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

20/20 is not the limit of human eyesight, merely a guideline. Some, like me, can see things smaller than the lowest row of letters on the eye chart.
I can see the difference in 326ppi (iPhone4) and 468ppi (HTC M7) clearly. Text rendering, site navigation icons, image scaling, etc., are better on the 468ppi display.
Samsung PenTile displays make the need for denser pixels even more dire, as the diagonal orientation of PenTile pixels make vertical and horizontal lines blurry when compared to a standard LCD.

VR.

So your solution to OLED burn-in and yellowing is to not use the screen?

Gee, thanks for the tip.

In the meantime, I'll continue to happily use my "inferior" IPS phone as much as I like.

Fucking phoneplebs who cant into real computers.

I hope you're talking only about TN panels here, because any IPS made in the past few years is going to mop the floor with any TN, old or new, with regards to colour gamut.

Optimum DPI/PPI is based on viewing distance so saying there's just one number is retarded. You use a TV, laptop and phone at different distances.

damn I'm glad I switched away from that cuckzilla browser

*cuckz://a

I hear you, bro. I can totally see the difference between a 1080p display on a 5" phone, and a 1440p display on a 5"phone even though a magnifying glass is needed to see each individual pixel, at arm's lenght anyway.

The difference is like night and day. Especially since everything is upscaled or letters become too tiny.

Having a huge PPI is totally worth it. Just like putting a 20~ megapixel camera even though an 8 megapixel one would have less noise, better HDR and need less processing.

I can also see the difference between 144 Hz SmartTVs and the deprecated 48 Hz SmartTVs, even though most content is still 24 FPS and the 144 Hz are achieved through hacky filters.

Oh, and don't forget to buy two Nvidia GPUs (the most expensive ones at the moment) and put them in SLI to watch Netflix. The difference is totally noticeable.

I'm glad we can agree about pixel densities.
A bit of correction on some of your statements are needed, however.

Noise in image sensors is not determined by pixel count, it is determined by the size of each pixel on the sensor.
Additionally, HDR capabilities are not dependent on pixel count, but on the difference in the brightest and darkest values that the image sensor can usefully detect. Lowering the noise floor increases the usable dynamic range.
The video decoding capabilities on modern gpus do not work in tandem when multiple gpus are present. Your choice of using SLI to watch Netflix may be a result of taking Nvidias cock in the ass.

Is it truly too complex for you to care or do you hate the spread of information?

that post was satire user
Also isn't the nsize of each pixel on the sensor directly related to the amount of pixels(total size/pixels=size pp), so that more Pixels = more noise = worse HDR?

This image is retarded.

Smaller Megapixel count means they can pit bigger sensors in. That increases the performance in low light and scenes with different illumination (ie: 90 % of the photos that are going to be taken). That's the reason the HTC One M8 took better photos in low light and had better HDR with it's 5 megapixel camera, than every other phone for the next two years.

Same thing applies to PPI and using SLI for anything but physics calculations. There is no important gain and introduces several drawbacks (more power consumption, more heat, less performance, text becomes blurrier the further away your eyes are from the screen, etc.)

This is all marketing so people keep buying phones every year. Realistically, nobody needs or notices the difference between 1080p and 1440p, nobody needs the extra zoom a 13 or 20 mpx camera introduces gives you compared to an 8 mpx one (but the low light performance and HDR are actually important), and nobody needs a phone with a screen bigger than 4.5".

The phone market is fucked.

wash your hands rajeesj

k

Nope. Such people would use CRT. LCDs are used by goys who fell for the "new" and "trendy" meme.

Do you have any idea how expensive modern CRT's are? The same people who aren't going to be throwing away their tech just because it's a little old also aren't going to be dropping $1000 on a monitor either.

I remember reading that 8k is going to finally be when PPI mainia ends because at 8k it would require a much larger display than anyone could ever hope to fit inside their house to see pixels at a reasonable viewing distance. I still can't understand why some laptops chose 4k displays and completely skipped 1440p in that segment since 1440p would make a hell of a lot more sense for a laptop display. Although the majority of high-end laptops, even the top-of-the-line, still do use 1080p. Although if anything they do that so they have a reason to keep the midrange and low-end laptop displays at 1366x768 still after all these years

We need better pixels per inch because pixels per degree is still shit in consumer HMDs.

Is it summer or just the usual LARPers?

Why are there not any even remotely high ppi displays sold for project use? All of the fucking screens sold for raspi projects (or whatnot) have some really really low ppi. It's pretty limiting when it comes to the smpc I want to build. I don't even need some retina(tm) shit just something a little bit higher than what is available.

Most "project use" is cheap low cost prototyping and ain't nobody want to drop $200 on a fucking raspberry pi screen.

You should be able to buy a 3.5" LCD with more than fucking 480x320 that works with shit like a PI (or any other hobbyist board like that). But there are literally no options

Would OLETs suffer from similar problems?

i'm getting some chink to install a chinese lcd on my note 3 that has a broken oem oled screen

i didn't know they existed. i'd still rather buy a early 2000s1080i sony trinitron then anything new.

disable smooth scrolling you mongoloid

Great idea. Now care to point out a mobile device with a CRT?

This post is a shit post.