Does Holla Forums still feel optimistic about urbit? They're auctioning off stars for a hefty sum...

Does Holla Forums still feel optimistic about urbit? They're auctioning off stars for a hefty sum, wondering if it's worth investing in

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M04AKTCDavc
urbit.org/
archive.is/IQgf9
urbit.org/fora/posts/~2017.2.15..14.16.12..8c82~/
urbit.org/fora/posts/~2017.4.26..18.00.25..b93c~/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Interesting as fuark but I doubt it will do much.

I am unconvinced that they will be able to fight spammers by simply only having 4 billion addresses.

That means that someone will centralise and create an authoring service for comets, which is what most plebs will have to use(Their 128 bit address space)

Here's a writeup by someone who actually parsed Urbits bizarre communications, maybe it will be useful.

its a scam I only ever pretended to care about it because he was pissing off sjws

Can confirm that's a good read.

limited addresses are only part if it -- there's some kind of accounting for reputation as well, the limited addresses mean it becomes expensive to 'burn' them at scale

Federation is the moderating factor, it means that there are at max 4 billion planets(admins) who can vouch for the users(comets).

I hope they get it working well, even with my misgivings I still bought a star, I mean, it's never going to work unless you give it a shot right? And it's more well thought out than torrents.

youtube.com/watch?v=M04AKTCDavc

Okay I have to admit that's actually clever

cancer

>urbit.org/
empty page get
archive.is/MsY6p
empty page get

it's shit

shit i accidentally posted

i fucking hate how every cs/crypto/math/whatever paper is distributed as a pdf. pdf is the biggest pile of shit ever. even your standard web2.0 website with 10mib minified js dependencies is better.

archive.is/IQgf9
it's a scam

This little quote couldn't be further from the truth. The whole Urbit structure is designed hierarchically to avoid the problems of democratic consensus issues and encourage responsible stewardship of one's "property" in the Urbit universe.

While I like many of the concepts, the "anti-anonymization" kills it for me. The whole reason I use internet is because I can say shit without it affecting me in real life, and if Urbit kills anonymity then I'm against it and hope that it doesn't take off. The "trolling" part in is especially of concern to me. If I want to shitpost as both sides of an argument on $forum I should be able to.

There is nothing stopping you from spinning up an anonymous comet and shitposting in a place that allows it, the system allows for places of trust to only allow trustworthy systems.

Urbit posted that pdf and said it was "good enough" if liberals get on this by some stupid democracy feels game then I don't care, as long as people use it.

Urbit is neo-usenet, once you realise this you understand a lot more

if you search through old usenet archives you'll find Curtis' name (the CTO) about

Urbit scares the shit out of me and I hope that it never takes off. A lack of burnable anonymity online means that the Internet becomes a place where people interact with each other. I don't come online to interact with other people. The Internet is supposed to be a free market of ideas, completely separated from the meaty humans that create them. By tying ideas to the people that make them, we end up modifying the value of the ideas based on the previous ideas of that person.
The perfect example of this is, of course, the Yarvin fellow. He wrote reactionary articles under a fake name, and now even the SJWs don't want Urbit (which would greatly help their cause if implemented worldwide, due to the centralization of all online identities) because of his previous ideas. They hate what he said in the past so much that they won't even acknowledge how useful his new work would be for them. If Urbit became huge, we would see the same on a world-wide scale. A lack of easy anonymity (putting up a barrier to be anonymous) makes for a community like reddit. I don't want an internet-wide reddit where everyone else in the world can see everything that I do.

Even more concerning is how they would even go about managing this from a logistical standpoint. You get your own personal server? That's neat that you're provisioning me a VM that you definitely don't have root access to. Are you going to actually build a server and bring it to my home so that I have absolute control over it? Who's going to maintain it when it breaks? I know that a $20 one-time fee isn't enough to replace a single broken component, so there's absolutely no way that this shit is running on bare metal. Unless they're using a super cheap SBC for everyone's system, in which case you aren't going to be getting much performance out of your system.
Another problem that they have to contend with is the fact that they are essentially becoming a single point of failure.
If there's a security hole anywhere in the system described in this video, the whole thing is fucked.
4 Billion planets isn't enough to accomodate the human race for the rest of our existence, assuming that we make it to the stars. If it's supposed to be 4 billion admins getting a planet, and each comet/moon/whatever being a normalfag user uses, then we're just ending up with the same exact problem we currently have with Facebook and Twitter owning all the data. The paper here says that there will be 4 billion moons for each planet, so we will definitely end up with the same problem again.

If it appears on my screen, I can have it. Nothing you do will stop me.

normalfags can go fuck themselves. The Internet isn't for them and they need to leave.

dont worry. it will never take off.

Stopped caring after this shit: urbit.org/fora/posts/~2017.2.15..14.16.12..8c82~/

>How Urbit can fix Twitter's troll problem

But that's a user-made post, not an official vision for the system.

Curtis Yarvin isn't much better.

But that's just not true. Comets are free to create and practically infinite. Even if they weren't: just like 8ch doesn't display your IP, not every service on Urbit will display your address/name next to your content.

Agreed, but the internet at large may have already failed at that.

It's not difficult to imagine a future of dedicated Urbit hosts that fulfill a role similar to ISPs. They keep your planet (personal identity) online, and your devices just operate it remotely using moons (sub-identities of planets).
Those who want to run their Urbits themselves are generally smart enough to do so, it really isn't hard.

Not every single human being will need a planet. A personal online identity is a huge responsibility for young children. It seems wise to at least wait until they're allowed to drive before giving them one.
If Urbit makes it far enough to run out of address space, it will find a way to work around that.

There's some interesting things to be done with regard to social bubbling. If Urbit does it right, you won't ever have to as much as smell a normie.

Except that's a false comparison. I'm not talking about being anonymous on 8ch. I'm talking about being anonymous on onion forums. Urbit doesn't have an equivalent to that.
I don't care about the Internet at large. I care about my corners of the Internet. Urbit wants to eradicate these.
Since a one-time purchase from each user isn't going to be enough to sustain a business, you're going to have to have a montly charge. Good luck convincing normalfags to pay $x/month for their ISP *and* $y/month for their Urbit, when they can just use Facebook or Twitter for free.
Every adult that currently has internet access will.That's most of the developed world, plus all the new people that come as population continues to grow. Saying that they'll "figure it out" if they hit that address cap means that it's not an actually scalable solution. We'd see the same problem in 50 years that we're seeing now with ipv4 and ipv6
I already don't have to so much as smell one of them. The current system works for me, so why would I want to change? The only people who would receive advantage to this are normalfags who use social media.

Comets have no ties to anyone, they're standalone identities. With better bootstrapping, generating a new one for every session (or more frequent) isn't a problem. If you're worried about your IP leaking, you can probably just run your Urbit's connection through tor.

Quite the contrary, Urbit strives to make it easier for niche communities to stay niche communities, their quality not dropping by normie invasions or whatever.
An interesting forum post was made about this recently.
urbit.org/fora/posts/~2017.4.26..18.00.25..b93c~/

Ideally your ISP would become your Urbit host. Or, your Urbit host your ISP.

Fair enough. But hey, IP is surviving. We'll have to see.

(I like the webm, by the way.)

Jesus Christ, $512USD for a planet, who is buying these?

I'm half glad that I got one last year when they were free, but I dont know if I'll do anything with it.

512 a star, the 16 bit addresses.
I bought one.
I have a planet as well, you might still get one if you ask nicely enough in the talk but comets suffice for most testing purposes.

That's more reasonable considering the scarcity.
What are the advantages of having a star versus a planet?

I already have a planet and can't justify paying for anything larger.

lol cuck

Stars are essentially heads of blocks of address space that contain 2^16 – 2^8 = 65,280 planets. A star is responsible for doing initial routing and software updates for its child planets, and is thus part of the network infrastructure rather than anything for personal use.
If you just want to be on the network, a planet is all you need.

Will there be another star auction again?

Do pdfs contain code?

not that user. aside from JS being allowed into PDFs, PDFS can also embed remote content without the reader having anything like ublock or umatrix available

This nigger gets it. The value anonymity adds far outweighs the costs, in the sense that the great ideas and truths come to the top. This is a problem with political correctness and the current political climate in first world countries around the world. Bare ideas need a landscape to be shared across to see if the idea stands on it's own merit, without a persona or identity behind it to prop it up.

One thing I believe you misinterpret, the concept of a "personal server". I don't believe they intend to provide bare-metal for low fee of $20 up front. If their idea is to "re-invent the internet" and to decentralize evertying, how is going to put everything in a central datacenter going to solve the problem. And I answer, it's not. The youtube vid outlines an operating system, maybe they are going to provide the software stack and it's up to users, or power uses in this case, to stand up their own servers? And when I say servers, some computer, of undefined hardware specs, running on the internet. As that hardware model does not meet any kind of high availability modeling, I will only assume that the project has a software solution to distribute this data throughout the Urbit network to make it highly available and redundant. But if that's the case, and my data is out there on other machines I don't control, do I really control my data?

Also, is it me, or does this whole this sound like something from the next season of Silicon Valley?

Urbit, Moldbug's attemp at becoming the anti-christ. His entire blog is an attempt to deflect the blame from the Jews on Calvinists or some other progressive group.

I need to study Urbit more but if we had a Smalltalk OS or a Lisp OS with a peer to peer system then shit like Urbit would not be interesting at all. The success of Urbit is because of the failure of society to break up Microsoft and allow invention and innovation in the tech market.

lol what?

cry moar, most serene republic

If we had a Smalltalk or Lisp OS, anyone would be able to hack your computer undetected. It would be even worse than computers now.

Urbit is another kike scam. Lisp machines were too.

"I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a statement."

What is the Intel Management Engine.

Any part of a Lisp machine can be hacked and cloaked to hide the knowledge that anything was ever changed. It's like 90s VB macros but your whole OS.

Harder to exploit than a Lisp machine.

Give reasons rather than just asserting.

This whole fucking thing is Orwellian beyond measure. You have no idea the kind of people that are behind these things and what they intend to do with them.

What these faggots fail to realize is that there is no such thing as decentralization when it comes to infrastructure.
There are already a handful of people in the world that own your health, your money (literally all of your savings), your job, your food, your electricity and all basic utilities you need for living. All of that stuff is owned by someone else.

Don't fucking talk to me about centralization. Without the possibility of theoretical anonymity, the Internet as we know it is fucked.

I know Curtis better than you, friendo

Go ahead and decide for yourself if the people behind this have your best interests in mind.

Then go shill to 4chan, we don't want you here.

Didn't realize the chans were so full of cucked SJW's

At least three of them have direct ties to Skype. Another to Ellon Musk.
These are the good guys. I trust these people with my (digital) life.

After watching that video I have concluded this is either a fucking hipster leftist faggot that overdosed on silicon valley tech memes and shat this bullshit (a scam), or a psyop to have the whole world under digital control by 2050. Choose depending on how tinfoil you feel today, but it's bullshit nevertheless.

yeahh... I don't trust anyone who spends this much money in feel-good plasticky marketing looks, easy listening ambient tunes and flat stylish infomercials. they're selling smoke

I'm betting nobody in this thread can code

t. freech