Hey buddy, I see you are using a GNU/Linux distribution. Why?

Did you know that there is malware built into your proprietary components at a hardware level?
How can you seriously say you care about privacy if you don't build your computer from scratch? You know the CIA/NSA/FBI have a direct connection to your computer regardless of your OS.. right?
Your router is also compromised. Why do you pretend to care about privacy?
Doesn't all your traffic go through your ISP? Can you guarantee that they aren't running Windows on their machines?
Easy there buddy, I just meant to say that if you use a GNU/Linux distribution it better be for development purposes. The "privacy" meme doesn't cut it.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Xylemon/xlennart
boards.4chan.org/g/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_vPro#Security_and_privacy_concerns
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Did you know that there is malware built into your proprietary components at a hardware level?

How can you seriously say you care about privacy if you don't build your computer from scratch? You know the CIA/NSA/FBI have a direct connection to your computer regardless of your OS.. right?

Your router is also compromised. Why do you pretend to care about privacy?

Doesn't all your traffic go through your ISP? Can you guarantee that they aren't running Windows on their machines?

Easy there buddy, I just meant to say that if you use a GNU/Linux distribution it better be for development purposes. The "privacy" meme doesn't cut it.

You know, you are more fucking stupid by replying this shit.
Stupid faggot.

LOL

hardware level malware is prevalent you stupid fuck

Give me a single example of government malware found on consumer-grade hardware, that wasn't a targeted attack

LOL

all modern intel cpus
get a fucking grip kid, stop posting on my board

Do you have evidence of any malware? Or just conjecture?

Although completely custom hardware would be ideal, I think you can probably manage ok with just a custom firewall machine that blocks everything except packets you mark as ok to pass (via a modification of your workstation OS kernel). Since Intel ME bypasses the OS and assumes all packets are going to get routed, those will just end up in /dev/null.

Because packages and programs actually uninstall when I attempt to uninstall them. Also, they are uninstalled by means over which they themselves have no control. I don't have to trust the fox to guard the henhouse and ask programs to remove themselves, which is in itself a conflict of interest for their creators.
Because I don't want to jump through hoops and install software simply for the sake of giving me the ability to control the timing of my system updates. The updates can also be easily undone by the exact same means with which they were accomplished in the first place. Any software that can be updated/upgraded can be forced/locked to a version and downgraded as well; easily.
Because it doesn't "age", meaning that it doesn't slow down with time due to accumulation of bullshit.
Because the web browser isn't an integral part of the OS, and is safe and simple to remove without adversarial effect.
Because it runs better on my cheap hardware, and I have no need for expensive hardware. I spent about $480 on my parts, and I saw no need to pay more.
Because I can boot a different OS from a USB in the event I let someone else use my PC, meaning they don't have access to my system. Windows doesn't do live USBs, and even if they did, it would require a license, which would have to be bought.
Because I don't want using Windows to artificially create a need for expensive hardware simply for the sake of optimizing Windows bloat.
Because I don't like being told that I'm not permitted to make changes to my system/OS/software when I'm the only one who uses the computer, making me the adminGod of the machine and all which runs upon it.
Because it runs better than Windows considering that I rarely turn it off, so that things can run when I'm asleep or away. If I want to leave my PC on for 30 days to seed torrents, or watch/monitor some web resource 24/7, I won't incur problems with my performance.
Because games are a waste of time and money, so I have no need for them.
Because I'm a picky faggot and Linux has more possible configurations and options and distributions --which are available for free-- than I care to count. Whereas Windows has 7/8/8.1/10, and they all cost money.

How many fucking times is this going to be reposted?

I hope you will privately kill yourself for this horrid bait thread.

Intel ME
retard

So we have got either deflection, or agreeing with me that privacy is a dumb excuse to use any GNU/Linux distributions

You're retarded OP, almost as retarded as me for replying to this shitty thread.
Privacy isn't on and off, it's a multi-dimensional scale. Does GNU offer me perfect privacy? Of course not, there's no such thing. But it's way way easier to configure the way I like it, the OS doesn't fight against me nearly as much, and I can reasonably put way more trust into the whole community of devs who are also privacy-aware users like me than a corporation that primarily wants to have more money and control. I have to frequently use both Windows and macOS on other people's computers and it's such a fucking pain, actually impossible, to configure them to an extent that I can configure GNU.

There is no proof of this.

I use a free software router.

I use Tor.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHHAHHEHEHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHHAHHEHEHHAHAHHA

Can I just use GNU/Linux because I like it?

Do you know what a search engine is or are you just trying to russe me?

Because I care about Freedom.
My CPU doesn't have a management engine, I libreboot and I use a wifi adapter.
All operating systems can have bugs, but unlike Microsoft, which covers them up, doesn't fix them, and if they fix them, they show them to the NSA before they do it, with GNU/Linux I can either fix the bug myself or the community will do it for me.
LibreCMC.
Doesn't matter, all they see it a connection to Tor.
wew lad

No they don't. I can block any supposed connections at my network firewall.

Answer the fucking question. "Educate yourself" isn't an answer.

TWENTY SEVENTEEN
YEAR OF GANOO-SLASH-LOONIX!

It runs faster.
/thread

Why does modern day Holla Forums still fall for this simple, clichéd Nirvana fallacy?

Yes
U happy?

Actually I use OpenBSD because it comes with xlennart.
github.com/Xylemon/xlennart

I use linux because I'm a nerd and like to roleplay. It's also more convenient for programming the way I do.
That's why I also have a windows machine for gaming and a mac for everything related to my publishing company.

Now fuck off to reddit already and stop shitting up the board with your idiotic bullshit.

There is 3G antennas in the newer intel cpus. There's no firewalling that shit.
I'm not sure about AMD, but they can't be far behind.

saged

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

It's called GNU, period. Linux is just a popular kernel choice.

Because Holla Forums users are either fucking autistic, ideological Linux fanboys, shit stirring faggots like OP, or just plain retarded.

Use whatever OS you want to, in this age it's all the same shit with a few exceptions anyhow.

Even if that's true (post evidence, plz) you can still block their shit by placing your desktop in Faraday cage.

I have just the website for you:
boards.4chan.org/g/

Given the amount of retards ITT that think their proprietary hardware is free of spyware despite thousands of stories that prove the contrary, perhaps you too will fit in there just fine.

Educate yourself, dirty kuffar:

Fuck your memes.

and not a single example was given
Sage for FUD

m8, how many people do today have Intel ME? Now how would the powers that be know that of all those machines out there they have to break into mine to find out about my terrorist plot? Or do you actually think they broke into everybody's computer?

no, they dont, retard. they're able to break any computer they have a backdoor into, they arent constantly doing it by default.
internet privacy doesnt have as much to do with your operating system. you take different measures to protect yourself from that.
windows is constantly spying on every aspect of your computer by default, macos grants apple complete access to your software should they so choose. linux does neither of these.

anyways, this is pasta. stale pasta now.

I would a rabbit

A VPN is an ISP

Absolutely, you're not gaining much. Use Tor instead.

oohh OP is maaad

cancer detector already went off, cannot even read thread

So to summarize what to do to complete security.
I am pretty sure most people who actually want full security have separate computer for internet use and move the files via USB/SD.

Minors not allowed on 8ch.

Oh neat. Didn't know that. So Linux mint is just GNU Mint with Linux added.

it's gnu/linux with kike+mint added
enjoy your poz loads

I would like to know what is wrong with Mint, and what better alternatives exist.

Debian.

Because I care about my privacy, and enjoy having full control over how my machine looks/behaves/functions. Not to mention, Linux is faster and more secure not only from organizations, but from lone hackers.
I can disable Intel ME on my T420, and my X60 runs Libreboot. Assuming what you've said is true, using Windows would only give even more parties my data. By using Linux, I cut Microsoft out of the picture.
Not necessarily true, but even so, if I can't defend myself against government forces, I'll make damn well sure corporate forces can't see my shit.
Fair enough. I mitigate that as much as I can, using a VPN 24/7 and decentralized networks on occasion.
VPN.
I use my GNU + Linux distro for dev purposes, as well as privacy and security purposes.

Fact: Microsoft keylogs and screenshots everything you do on Windows 10, and proceeds to phone that data home. Most, if not all, Linux distributions make it a point to do exactly *not* that. Linux is more private my default in at least that sense.

Fuck, I took the bait.

Alright, I'll look into it.

I wrote my own MIDI driver derivative to make up for a hardware malfunction.

well argued you sure convinced me

/thread

into the trash

many, many reasons, if you are asking this you have to lurk for another 2 years before posting
yes, did you know spyware != hackable with effort ?

now let ME ask you something: how much does windows/NSA pay you per hour?

Because it's free.
Because upgrading Windows means installing Windows 10 or the nagger.
Because it has nice package managers making program and package installation easy, and easier than a bunch of installers in a Downloads folder where I have to uncheck adware, and opt out of other bullcrap.
Because the file system isn't NTFS and doesn't have the issue of disk fragmentation.
Because its terminal doesn't suck complete dick.
Because it happens to make better use of my laptop battery.

Because pic related.
/thread

That's a pretty good idea.

Still don't like the idea of intel ME

s, Linux, GNU/Linux,g

Because I like it better than Windows and OSX :^)

autism. It's Linux. A Linux system can run without GNU, see Alpine.

It's obvious that a system running Linux can run without GNU. The GNU/Linux name is not concerned with those kinds of systems such as Alpine Linux. GNU/Linux is only concerned with systems that running GNU/Linux in practise. In practise, people who run Linux are using it together with the Android OS or the GNU OS.

Oh look, another "you can never be 100% secure so why bother trying" argument

do you believe your vpn does not give access to your traffic?

Tor was compromised by the FBI.

FBI are controlled by the Russians anyway and Russians love cp so it explains why they are letting pedos distribute it freely on tor.

Windows.

giving pedo's a place to distribute their pedo shit only gets the word around and attracts more pedo's to the honeypot. when they feel there are a sufficient enough number, they will integrate a member into their ranks and get access to hidden networks and other tor sites. this gives them access to the most hidden shit which is better than just taking down small fry.

Actually, it does since Windows 8 - though only the Enterprise edition.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_To_Go

gtfo normalfag

And a GNU system can run without Linux, see Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. What's your point?

top straw my dude

tl;dr

We use Linux to foster a user culture conducive to freedom from government and corporate oligopolies. It doesn't have to all work right now, the point is were getting there.

People "know" this despite there being no evidence for it, and the CIA and NSA needing to develop software tools to break into systems.

That is what OP meant with 'direct access' monsieur Smarty Pants. And most of these tools rely heavily on soft spots in security left on purpose so these tools can work.

4/10 made me reply

tor was invented by cia i think.

I'm running Linux on a System76 machine I got a couple months ago. How would I go about disabling the ME, if I even can?

Don't think, verify.

Hey buddy i see you're rocking Windows on that NSA/Computer
Carry on.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_vPro#Security_and_privacy_concerns

I've used it for about a decade. I've used it the easy way and the hard way. If something happened to my system, I have a better chance at salvaging my broken GNU/Linux system than a broken Windows system. I'm comfortable with it, and other than video games, which live on a dedicated computer for such purpose, there's nothing I can't do on GNU/Linux.
It's easier to starve Microsoft/Apple/Google/et. al. of information than it is to starve three-letter agencies and my ISP of information.

Who the fuck are you quoting?

whale b8

Pics related.

Go back please

You're bad at this, and this thread should be deleted.

Oh, okay carry on.

May be. I bought a Thinkpad x200 so that I coud flash libreboot on it. Not sure if I could any more than that to protect myself.

why is this thread so interesting?