C fags on suicide watch

how does this make you feel?
stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017

In the trash it goes.

C doesn't show up because it gets the job done ahead of schedule and under budget.

Average salaries are useless. You want the salary of people with similar experience to yours, not the imaginary "average man".

Not to mention that just because someone uses a language that doesn't mean they are a full-time programmer. Someone might be an engineer who happens to use Python to automate tasks all the time, but they are not a Python programmer in a traditional sense.

Fixed that for you.

C is low on the list because even though demand is high, supply is also high. Most introductory computer science classes still use C/C++. Everyone knows it. As this starts shifting to other languages, like python, we'll see salaries for those positions go down. Its basic economics.

Nowadays C is mainly used for embed and things that need to be efficient consuming very low resources, so basically things that nobody gives a fuck anymore outside of niche autists.
If you want to earn that dollas then you need to know how to write shitty inefficient code in a meme language to build some shitty meme webapp shit after some retard or yourself have written shitty documentation on a hurry that will have to be rewritten several times to really fit in your project.
Modern software development and software in general are pure cancer due to the needs of the current market.

Defence still exists.

I though defense used Ada, at least that's the maymay.

So most "coders" are unemployed. Fuck my life.

ADA is used because some DoD contracts require its use and sometimes for technical merits, but many systems use C(++) for the availability of programmers. IIRC most of the F-35 is done using C(++).

N-nani?

cat -v was right again!

you mean wrong
9tards have made their final contribution to the world long ago

And this is why the programming community is shit. It is all webdevs, and of course they have the most amount of women. Traditional IT roles have still managed to keep them out because it hasnt been dumbed down to the point where their spaghetti javascript code would pass as work

Web Dev is mind numbing busy work that only the most simple think is in any way enjoyable or fulfilling

And the cancer is spreading

.>>730581

I never understood that 'diversity' and gender discussion, especialy in Holla Forums related jobs
If someone is capable; that person is capable, regardless of gender/race or w/e.
Only thing they (indirectly) saying/signaling to me in conversations is simply: 'we want to do less then nothing but with a jackpot of a salary.'
Wishful cherrypicking?

Ah fucked that first one up, damn i need to sleep.

Considering defense is about overcomplicating systems as much as possible in order to have an excuse to jack up pricing and take advantage of the US's obscene military budget, I'm surprised they aren't coding in Java.

Woah, user. It still has to work in the end.

do you personally know at least one human being who knows C?
(not even asking about C++, because it's obvious that you don't)

they may use whatever languages but it doesn't follow that the students will really know them.

They actually do. That is what Intel ME was designed for.

I made $75,000 last year as an IT support technician in a manufacturing plant. This is in a flyover state with low cost of living too.

There are four languages with the exact same average (Haskell through Swift all at $53,763). I'm no statistician but that tells me the sample size is tiny and there is a lot of overlap - developers who do multiple languages, some of which might not even be their primary ones.

user, Java is for amateurs. If you really want to overcomplicate things, nothing beats Ada.

This feels horrible, but it's all I have, and even worse, it's far better than what 90% of the people here can do for themselves. Fuck.

I make 115k and I don't work too hard. High cost of living state though, houses are too expensive.

Fuck You. We need to focus more on diversity in the tech industry and society in general. There is too many straight, white, cis-gender men in the tech world.

I r8 b8/8

I'll take it.

As I remember it we tried desperately to have diversity in the 80's and 90's, but no one wanted to be associated with the white male geeks back then. I think the reason was some sort of fear of being alienated from society or bullying.

These aircraft carriers say otherwise.

Developing workarounds for C and C++ are still less painful work than adopting frameworks of/programming with new languages from scratch
When that no longer is the case people will start switching
Until then fuck all will change

Why?

Also
Data Scientist / Engineer and second only for Desktop Developers

That and the three BASIC languages in the top 4 makes me wonder how they defined dreaded.

probably because JS people describe themselves as all those things for installing node.js on their amazon cloud

The three BASIC languages should be dreaded, but I'd expect them to dominate the top 3, with COBOL slightly behind.

I am developing military software in Ada and C++, should I switch career to Web development?

Yes. You should totally do it. Web development is so much fun. Frameworks are very fun to work with and on front-end different browsers all just support everything. There are no compatibility issues at all. Plus you will get to work with very knowledgeable clients and designers.

Plus, it's not a field where outsourcing has much influence. You can almost guarantee you'll keep your job no matter what.

If you lived through the IE6 era you'd unironically agree with this statement. There's hardly any important feature that's not either already there or easy to polyfill. I find webdev to be fun Your other points are valid.

But why would they be dreaded? VBA is as babby-tier easy as it gets.
Or is it more like dreading seeing these on a job description because the implication that your employer might not know what they are doing and/or be behind the times?

That is why we should go back to entire website made in flash again. Because every browser will be compatible and the website look the same everywhere. The bonus is of course all the cool animations and other stuff that will be possible.

I am a web developer. I come from a Java background, but I have a good deal of experience in JavaScript and PHP, and some experience y Python, Lua and C. My last job required me to work with VB .NET, and I really hated the idea, until I actually started using it. Maybe it's the company's frameworks, maybe it's that Visual Studio seems to be more mature and prepared for VB than most Java IDE are prepared for Java, but I think it is fairly pleasant. It certainly shits on Java, anyway.

VBA is shit. Dated as fuck, no proper error handling (forget about try-catch), no Unicode support and the stability of the Windows 98 era. What's not to hate?

I agree that it generally sucks, but "dread" just seems like a very specific word as opposed to just dislike.

It has major shortcomings for large codebases, but I find it to be great to get something from idea to working prototype quickly.

Good stuff.

Now list the ones that aren't paid in CaliforniaBux.

Why not half and half, in the same program? It's about time we modernized the F-35's HUD with some Bootstrap, don't you think?

You're right, we should get some nodejs running with electron

What's the turnover rate though?