Crying about OS "privacy" = tech illiterate

Did you build your computer from scratch? If not, it has hardware level malware that is used to spy on you.

Did you build your router from scratch? If not, it most likely has hardware level malware that spies on you.

I know for certain that your ISP did not do EITHER of those things, and are BY LAW required to spy on you...

... you are worried about your OS? Your choice of OS should depend on what type of development you are doing and your personal preference, "privacy" is not a valid reason.

Other urls found in this thread:

dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html
microsoft.com
windowsforum.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck off shill. I've seen you posting on /liberty/ as well (>>>/liberty/52365), with the same exact picture at the same resolution. You can;t be spied on with FOSS, you FUD spreading piece of shit. Your only valid point is the ISP spying, and there are ways of getting around that. Fuck off.

I don't live in a shithole and thus my ISP is legally obliged to not spy on me

Sorry you live in a shithole faggot

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[Citation Needed]

Onus is on you to prove your retarded claims faggot

>>dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html

kill yourself

Not even worth opening, kill yourself faggot

What's wrong with .com, agent Johnson?

fuck off cianigger

Thanks for wasting our time

Suit yourself, Windows using cuck

Not sure if these are shills or retards, but whatever the case
THEY'RE NOT SENDING THEIR BEST

did hunt the beef for yout steak?
did you plant the potatoes?
did you do the necessary butchering and cooking?

why do you require various regulations, HARPC by FDA or the local equivalent? you dont need tht goyim, just trust us...

did you built your house by yourself?
did you dig the clay, burned the bricks, did the calculations, evaluated the gruond at the site, laid the the foundation etc...
if not why do you want any kind of responsibilty from the executor of the various stages of the workflow, goyim?

did you raise your wife in a bubble from birth? no? then you may as well let this sickly fag give you the gift.

have you ever not looked directly at your own dick for any length of time? lol then it's dirty anyway. scratch it with this rusty nail and rub this filth into the wound.

You didn't get it, Holla Forumstard, as usual.
If your beef steak has mad cow's disease in it, eating it with homegrown vegetables isn't going to be a healthy meal.

Lol, nice typing. Is the microcode embedded in your hardware open source? Lmao.

Yes it is, what country are you from? All ISPs keep records of your activity, and even if they don't their proprietary routers and OS do.

I know you think this is some sort of clever argument, but you haven't actually refuted any of my points. You know why it's so hard to refute them? It's because it's the truth.

Very low quality responses across the board. I know there are some educated people and sysadmins that lurk this board, I was hoping to hear their rationalizations, not yours.

good thread

im dying

I don't have any microcode in my hardware.

-1/10 kill yourself

I'll tell my grand children about the day i got told by a furry and laugh with them.
Thank you sir.

People like you should be sodomized by a CIA Nigger.
The first reason free/libre software was created was the freedom of control over your own shit.
Free/libre software is a solution for multiple problems.
Shut the fuck up and go read gnu.org

Filthy casuals.

You're either a shill or an idiot who just learned you can't have perfect security and wrongly assumes 0% is just as good as 90% secure. Either way, die.

So lets go through the arguments presented in this thread.

/g/ level posting right there, get off my board please. The truth is hard to swallow.

What does that have to do with anything I said you braindead mongoloid dog? Learn to read.

see

Then, hang yourself

You act like being on Linux means you're immune to datamining or privacy concerns, which is false.

Go back to Holla Forums.

Where did this come from? Projecting much? Not every board will fall for your tactics, you Shareblue kike faggot.

Indeed, there are some full on (((Libertarians))) shilling up everything.

wtf i like windows 15 now

my ISP can't see what I do because I put all my traffic through tor. if they want to do a targeted attack they can correlate my bandwidth, but that's it.
yes I did, and like my ISP, it can't see what I'm doing
not necessarily, but it's a valid concern. more likely it has unintentional backdoors like everything else the software industry and retards like (((you))) spew out

Changing to a privacy-respecting OS is orders of magnitude easier than manufacturing non-pozzed hardware.
God you're so retarded it hurts. Go read a book.

Or better yet, kill yourself.

Being spied on FOSS is a rare exception, not a rule. And even then you can do something remove it in the case of FOSS and recompile, unlike pozzed proprietary software

Didn't mean to quote I meant

You don't give a fuck about privacy. You slapped Gentoo on your laptop and riced out your desktop so you could shitpost here. If you really cared you would have manufactured your computer, instead you sit high and mighty and talk down to everyone else while your data is being streamed straight into CIA servers.

Good job dude. Hot arguments, you really got me there with telling me to kill myself. You're the one who should read a book, study engineering and then talk to me about privacy you dumb faggot.

So you're saying Windows 10 and Gentoo do the same level of spying? Interesting. Does your last name end in -berg by any chance?

Did you? Show us your silicon fab. Hypocrite.

Did you?

What ISP do I use and which country's law are you projecting on me, CIA brony Schlomo?

Routers can be replaced and you can buy working internet equipment from illegal contractors or hack the ISP itself through splicing, SIM, or BTS.
Also prefer DHCP via wireless WAN than Static via aDSL/LAN (unless you spliced or hax the gateway)

Other shit is public wifi although not recommended since other devices connected in the wifi network will snoop your device MAC (those damn android shits) and the DLNA/UPnP NSA crap.

posting gay anime furry rabbit pictures = life illitarate

Nice try, retard. The fact that we're already fucked doesn't mean we should just roll over and take the next assfucking. Every bit counts.

Did you build your house from scratch? If not, it has hidden cameras and microphones everywhere that is used to spy on you

Did you build your car from scratch? If not, it most likely has a GPS and an audio/video feed that spies on you.

I know for certain that your electric power company did not do EITHER of those things, and are BY LAW required to spy on you...

... you are worried about your HVAC? Your choice of HVAC should depend on what kind of physical activity you are doing and your personal preference, "privacy" is not a valid reason.

No, my house does not have any hidden cameras or microphones installed.

My car was constructed in the 80s. Wrong again.

My electric company does not have access to my data.

Nice strawman. I bet you thought you were so clever when you typed that up. The reality is that you use dumb strawmans and memes to cover up for the fact that you know I'm right. There is literally nothing in the OP that is factually incorrect. Get a life, loser.

That's not what I am saying at all you dumbass mongoloid dog. Get some reading comprehension.

It's funny that you accuse me of being a jew, when you are the one who is dodging all the questions and refuse to refute even a single point in the OP. It's pathetic really. The jew cries out in pain as he strikes you. Fuck off kid.

You have no evidence to prove this, unless you've literally CT-scanned your house on multiple occasions.

So you've never left your car unsupervised ever? Never had it in a car repair shop?
Unless both of these are true you're fucked.

They know when you use your devices and as such can feed that information to the government to help them better spy on you.

Thank you. I tried my best to mimic the anti-vax level retardation oozing from the OP post. I think I got it mostly right.

You mean how you used a dumb strawman to cover up the fact that I'm right?

Depends on where you get your facts. If they're from Facebook and similar social media then yes, he's completely correct. Also Apple products are totally secure because FBI couldn't crack that iPhone. I mean it makes sense, right?

I have one, otherwise I wouldn't be able to write this post to remind you that your mother has probably had more dicks in her mouth than you. Which is also not "factually incorrect" as you so eloquently put it.

It's really a shame that 12 yo retards are shitting up Holla Forums with dumbass threads like this and the mods do nothing about it. This used to be a nice board. RIP.

There's nothing to refute. Your whole stance is that privacy is binary in nature, and everyone should just give up because we can't have "perfect" privacy.

Way to miss the entire point.

Learn to read. The point is that proclaiming you use an OS because you are concerned about privacy is stupid and worthless. You are like the 500lb obese woman who drinks diet coke because she is "concerned" about her health. Fuck off you stupid motherfucker.

You're the only stupid motherfucker here. If the woman was drinking regular coke, she'd keep getting fat.

Pretty much this, all hardrived are backdoored and FOSS is a retarded concept shilled by freetards who don't comprehend data is meant to be shared.

I had to re-read your sentence 3 times to understand what the fuck you wanted to say and I am still not sure. hardrived? You meant hard drives? Freetards don't comprehend that data is meant to be shared? But on fsf.org says:
Free software is software that gives you the user the freedom to share, study and modify it.

If you wouldn't be so tech illiterate you would know that you can analyze absolutely everything that comes out of your computer. Be it with packet inspection tool such as Wireshark or go directly to the physical layer and decode packets using logic analyzer. If packet that software stack generates doesn't matches what comes out of your PC then you will know that something suspicious is going on.
Same thing as with PC - packet analysis.
Only thing they see is what sites do you visit, that is if you use HTTPS. Content is encrypted at the application layer, so even before it reaches hardware.
But here is where you are wrong. OS is free to do whatever it wants, only way you can guarantee that it isn't doing anything malicious is to have its source code, which is impossible with Windows and OSX.

Don't care

Don't care

My OS was compiled for privacy and my work flow. Both are valid concerns. I run multiple OSs on multiple machines anyway.

Things I or family built from scratch:

Things we maintain:

I stopped caring about these hardware level exploits because they aren't going to play nice anyway. I have lots to hide and I keep it off their global botnet whenever possible. I welcome the day they come to my farm to attempt to arrest me for things I may or may not have done on the internet. I'd love nothing more than to go down in a hail of gun fire like my Great Grandfather did when the revenuers came through the holler looking for tax money. Fuck 'em.

I bet OP is still drinking Fluoride.

t. guy that takes pop shots at military drones for fun.

You are just LARPing then, you don't give a fuck about privacy. Get a life, dumb weeb.

Despite what the kike media might have brainwashed you into believing user people are pretty damn smart where I come from. Which is a region located in the mountains/foothills of a certain country where we can still legally own firearms. I do care about privacy I'm just not totally autistic about it. You walk a line between blending in with the normalfags and viewing your rare pepes on your own time in private.

This thread is bait attempting to have people answer a negative. Despite my choice of various hardware going all the way back to my computers that run CP/M there is no way to be 100% sure that it's safe. So you assume it's unsafe and do what you can. Which would include having a sane choice of operating system. I don't run Windows 10 because it's a pile of horse shit, the pile just happens to include a bunch of things that blatantly spy on me. I do run Windows 3.11, and 98se, and 2000, and XP, and 7 on various other machines I own for various reasons I don't need to justify or get into at the moment. I have machines on DOS, OSX, Gentoo, Debian, Arch, *BSD and others as well. That's just my general purpose computers and doesn't include the various other devices I own or have laying around that are hard/softmodded or just around for spare parts. Holla Forums and Holla Forums were big hobbies of mine for many years but like /a/ I've mostly left it behind now since I find more joy in working outside. Holla Forums is something I am fully prepared to live without and I do so willingly through the course of most of my day. I certainly don't need a tracking device with google on it to figure out how to do simple things most normalfags seem to the struggle with (like basic math).

Good to know you can still trigger newfags with anime and smugs. We're all eagerly awaiting for you to post your ultra secure self made hardware and software so we can all follow your shining example. Sage because this thread is the cancer that's killing Holla Forums

Oh, and you LARP as a WN too. Lmao.

Pretty good post honestly, this whole fucking thread is retarded defeatist garbage. May as well just go with

At least trying to pursue an avenue of privacy helps you with basic education on these subjects. I'd rather have a small clue what I'm doing and lose than be oblivious to the game entirely.

You sound like a shitty little reddit user or someone from facebook.

you sound like someone who was btfo back to back

Here you go again.

You have to go back.

Not all boards on halfchan are bad. /diy/ is ok, /w/ usually has nice wallpapers, /wg/ as well. Other boards are pretty shit though and it's just meme this meme that, there is no real discussion going on.

This is only partially correct, but you are still a tech illiterate retard; pot calls the kettle black.

You can secure all of your hardware if you can control all of the code running on it. Your options now are basically Libreboot or Coreboot as free and open source BIOS replacements.

Libreboot is 100% free and has been widely tested. The hardware is limited, but still viable for daily use.

Coreboot is especially useful on newer machines because EFI is cancer. Macs have an EFI that has twice as many lines of code as the Mac OS X kernel. EFI is not safe. If you install Coreboot, use SeaBIOS and use ME Cleaner to disable the management engine then you'll have a secure machine.

You can absolutely have a safe computer that you didn't build from scratch, you mouth breathing fuck. You just need to know how to flash the EEPROM that the BIOS/ME firmware is stored on. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're tech illiterate here. This is easy stuff. The OS also matters. You can have all pre-OS software be free but if you run Wangblows 10 as the OS, you're still just as fucked. Everything from the BIOS to the individual applications have to be FOSS if you want true security. Anything less and you're a fucking cuck.

The ones that aren't refuted say it all.

This guy think's it's secure without soldering his own cpu.

I think you're lost friend. Let me help you out, I was once a child like you but then my eyes were opened to what the world was really like. I don't hate any man for his race, he can't help what race he is. I do know what team I play for however and I'm always ready to defend my team and family from (((them))) should the need arise. Here is something I suggest you watch and think long and hard about (youtube.com/watch?v=FaCHBmGWcBc)

When the day of the rope comes you'll be thankful you did. Just in case you think I'm joking I must warn you; we were joking at one point but then we figured out how deep the rabbit hole goes. We aren't joking anymore. We await the coming happenings with joy in our hearts. We didn't choose this willingly, we were driven to it by the madness your kind and the deep state has unleashed upon the world. We're fed up with it. You should be thankful Trump won, he bought you maybe 4-8 more years. We do not follow him or anyone else blindly. We know he's not GLR or Hitler and he never can be. He's a means to an end, nothing more nothing less.

If you haven't already I suggest that you also get /fit/, lurk /k/, learn all you can from Holla Forums, and archive anything you might feel the need to read in the future. If you own more electronic devices than you do books/guns you're screwed. I hope you know how to farm faggot because we're not giving away any of our food to people like you.

That's not how that works.

It could if it were cabinet sized and made from discrete components.

Get access the Intel's ME and come back.

The OP has a point. There are reasonable and quite specific privacy threats that you can do something against like cookies, smart pixels, ip-based tracking and so on.

But if you leave this threat-model and try to defend from an abstract, unspecific treat-model like government-spying (which they certainly do, according to Snowdens leaks) you have one of two choices:

1. build your own PC completely, starting from printing your own PCBs
2. panic everytime something feels spongy, randomly fingerpoint and become paranoid

For example:
Intel ME is a component that is - according to what Intel says themselves - probably exploitable as a backdoor. But the processor also contains a shitload of other unspecified stuff Intel doesn't say anything about.

If you opted for 2, you panic just because Intel's specs (about the ME in this case) match your assumptions but still leave you with no somewhat reasonable proof whatsoever (there are no known cases of abusing ME for that purpose, no funny router-traces, ...). There is also still 99.99% unknown hardware inside that could theoretically spy on you and you'll never know. PLUS even if it was open hardware you still can't rule out "known exploits", that it is designed in a way that provides a backdoor if used in a certain way.

So just because one component of a piece of hardware smells fishy, doing all your computing on a fucking potato is very stupid and unreasonable. Not only because it's a quite paranoid approach but also because it doesn't serve the cause at all. You factually did nothing for your privacy with your old CPU since it's also unspecced/unknown/exploitable.

It doesn't matter what you do, you can always be hacked. It's simply a matter of ressources and knowledge. You're making the smartest decision if you take measures against concrete threats like ip-based tracking and implement good security-practices (don't use windows for sensitive computing - it's and ad platform, don't use ancient/abandoned router-firmware, use dd-wrt/opent-wrt, encrypt your HDD,...) but anything further than that is pointless if not unhealthy.

Oh my stomach. Holy shit.

You might want to get your stomach checked if it's filled with holy shit.

Autistic people shouldn't try to be funny.

Who is being funny?

OP raises a point.

But can never be anything bad about spreading the the good word about decentralisation of tech/services and creating more noise for NSA to analyse.

Also, getting people worried about such shit encourages them to learn more about tech, which results in a bigger pool of programmers sympathetic to sticking it to the man.

>>>/g/
>>>/microsoft.com

No, he doesn't raise a valid point at all.

only 90% secure != 0% secure. This is an almost guaranteed astroturfing thread. Fuck OP

The harsh reality is that privacy is pretty much dead unless you have computer hardware from pre-9/11. Pretty much all modern hardware has built in physical backdoors allowing the government access to your computer if needed, or if they just want to.

The best thing to do nowadays is to ensure you have good opsec to protect yourself from script kiddies and attempts as doxing, encrypt your hard drives/ssd's to protect your data from thieves, prevent tracking on the internet from big corporations such as Google Analytics with a security hardened, and from your ISP with a VPN. If push comes to shove and the government really does raid your house the only thing you have to fall on is physical destruction of your media mediums, simple encryption is no longer enough as CPU microcode and RAM can hold your password if they act fast enough.

The only true way to ensure 100% privacy is to not even use the internet, cell phones, or really anything connected to the grid. The only way to achieve true privacy in the modern age is to disappear from the grid entirely.

Welcome to the future. The only feasible way of reversing all this shit and stopping it is to put in place a federal law that requires ALL software to be open source.

If it was that easy, they wouldn't have to dick around with exploits. They'd just push a button from their cubible at the CIA command bunker and pwn every computer they want without any kind of resistance.
Maybe this is what the future holds, but we're not at that stage yet. Well maybe some people are, since they already gave up.

you think AMD is any better? Say hello to Platform Security Processor (PSP)
PSP has the ability to hide its own code and access RAM along with things like kernel encryption keys. It can access system memory states, including those of network controllers and peripherals. Any malicious entity with access to the AMD signing key would be able to install persistent malware that could not be eradicated without an external flasher and a known good PSP image. Given the extreme privilege level of the PSP, a successful attacker would have the ability to remotely monitor and control any PSP enabled machine, completely outside of the user's knowledge.

You are a shill.

When the fuck did I say that, Reddit faggot?With FOSS software, it's easy to navigate the code and look for spyware/back-doors/weaknesses/etc. You own the OS, it's yours, you are free to use it as you please. With faggotsoft and fagple, you have to wait for some Pajeet programmer to fix read: patch legacy code in a shitty manner the problem, and this is ignoring the fact that Bill Gates allows NSA backdoors on purpose.

Calling me a shill, when I am defending GNU+Linux on fucking Holla Forums, is a gigantic neon sign above your head that says "tourist cia nigger." Your strategy is essentially what Holla Forums laid out in their guide on how to spot a shill. If you like Windows so much, fuck off to >>>windowsforum.com/

Yeah, you don't care about privacy, you are just interested in ricing out your desktop and making stupid bash scripts. Who exactly are you trying to convince here?
What does that have to do with the fact that you can't build your own computer? Loser.

I build computers all the time. What are you talking about?

Go back to your containment board, polshit.

No you don't, others build spyware into their hardware, and you pay them to assemble it. Good goy.

Nobody can use the spyware that is allegedly built into my computer!

that would only require software to interact with the hardware