Damage control? As Mozilla kills all UI customization they bring back square tabs to

... prevent people from coming to the conclusion that Firefox moves into an almost-Chrome-clone direction!

Typical damage control

At least that is a damage control which makes sense. Mozilla should bring on more like that and bring that way back features which they removed for pleasing simple users.

One can at least hope!

ghacks.net/2017/03/24/here-is-the-first-mockup-screenshot-of-firefox-57s-new-design/

Other urls found in this thread:

download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/
testpilot.firefox.com/
blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Was it really that hard to post the image in question instead of a stupid meme and forcing people to go to the link.

Keep calm and kill yourself.

When will they fix the fucking memory leaks?

If they take away muh deepdark ft i will be very pissed and switch to pale moon

they havent fixed them in 10 years, they will never ever fix them

Has it really been 10 years? I don't think it was THAT long ago that the memory leaks began.

Why didn't I do the switch sooner...

I guess because you only became a raging homosexual recently.

Who gives a shit, it's still terrible (Chrome too).

V I V A L D I

i remember massive memory leaks ever since firefox 3, its been an awful browser for a very long time, only good thing being the plugins but they are getting killed now

That is some amazingly shit icon design. I also had this problem with Firefox mobile where I could never remember which icon was copy and which was paste because they were so obtuse. At some point they changed them to text.

TorBrowser

One step closer to repealing the Australis interface.

>>>/reddit/

just use links retard

That actually looks pretty nice.

You're a cuck!

treestyle tabs
r
e
e
s
t
y
l
e
t
a
b
s

hurr, Firefox bad, Firefox try to be like Chrome now
BLOAT, FUCK YOU SJWZILLA
HA, HA, DAMAGE CONTROL. SJWZILLA IS FINISHED AYYYYYY

HURRRRRRRR, FIRECUCK IS SO CUCKING CUCKERING THAT IS SLOWER THAN CHROME. MUH MEMORY LEAKS. MUH MULTITHREAD
SJWZILLA STRIKES AGAIN NO MORE ADDONS FIRECUCKS IS CUCKING DEAD FUCK YOU SJWZILLA AND YOUR SJWCHROMIUM I'M GOING TO USE CHROME NOW

SJWZILLA IS A CUCK COMPANY FOR VIRTUE-SIGNALING CUCKS TUMBLRTUMBLRTUMBLR TRUMP SAVE ME

At this point you're just hating on Mozilla and their decisions to be trendy. Fuck you and your forced memes.

Retards.

Because botnet Chrome wastes your bandwidth pre-fetching any link you hover and websites you visit often. It uses an external service for that too so your browsing habits are uploaded to the botnet.
That's bad. Hamburger menus on a non-mobile interface are a mistake, but a botnet-loving cuck like you wouldn't know.

Sure. Now where's the setting to open to a blank page and not send any of my data to Mozilla or other advertisers?

Nowhere because it doesn't do any of that.

Gee I wonder who's behind this post.

Firefox Hello has been discontinued, Pocket is a built in ad for a proprietary cloud service, and I doubt even you would dare to crawl through the razor wire of getting a self-hosted Weave 1.5 server running, so that's de-facto proprietary too. You also forgot to mention the APNG nobody asked for, the MP4 nobody asked for, and the EME nobody asked for.

Pls

Chrome requests pages while you type their address. You get performance at the cost of control over what you send.

Shit that never happened for 500.

You sound like a retarded pajeet

I'd use chromium if the tabs were actually useable once you have more than can fit on the top bar, they become so squished that its impossible to figure out which is which without clicking on them.

Where does it say that?

The design actually looks uglier than Australis

They fixed them, but then people stopped caring about memory and started praising Chrome for its speed even though it used more memory.
Nowadays I think Chrome uses more memory even if Firefox could still be better

Holy fuck that design looks awful. Im sad to have to leave firecuck as it was a good power user browser but this minimalist/modern bullshit is retarded. guess ill head off to pale meme

APNG exists solely as a Samson Option to kill bug 18574 because the libpr0n module owners were shitting themselves over the progress the MNG developers were making on the death march they'd been led down: "make this entire lib fit in 50kb or we won't include it". How big is about:robots, again?

I don't give a fuck how it looks, as long as it is free as in freedom and werks good.
btw this is not that bad.

WEBP when?

I quite enjoy the bandwidth saving from APNG thank you very much.

Because normies ignored it and retarded """power users""" kept complaining that it was ""bloat"" and ""botnet"" despite being just a bookmark to a webpage that used a standard for video and voice chat.

We had our chance to get an open source, privacy-focused Discord counterpart that doesn't even need an account to work, but the community and users were too busy being autists.

Now owned by Mozilla, so they will release most of the source code, too.

Not that it matters, since the button is just a glorified bookmark and.doesn't do anything. Hell, hiding it disables it.

Yeah, I'd sure love for my browser to have even less features.

You the easily-disabled, sandbox-bound DRM that isn't included by default in most distros? The DRM that allows people to watch Netflix but isn't complete botnet like Chrome or Edge?

They even make an official DRM-less build for users who don't want it, so complaining is retarded.

When I install Firefox, the first things I do:

I overlook its technical issues because I can make it actually usable. If I can't do that, into the trash it will go!

That's not even the point. Firefox may use less or whatnot, but it leaks, it's a shitty browser.

Where can I find it?

proofs?

Wait, when did this happen? This is one of the main things keeping me from wanting to continue to use Firefox after WebExtensions, also the main reason I can't fully switch to Palemoon right now. I'll use their shitty new looking interface if it means I can get vertical tabs and multi core support on my old netbook.

>download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/

Go to the dir of the latest release (ESR doesn't seem to have an EME-free version) and you have there the EME-free installer.

>testpilot.firefox.com/

Other stuff like the enhanced screenshot tool can already be seen in the screenshot from OP's article, so it may be released sooner than later.

>testpilot.firefox.com/
It take back what I said earlier. Mozilla just managed to make vertical tabs that are worse than horizontal tabs, and I'm fucking amazed because all they would need to do to not screw it up is simply flip the existing tab bar vertically.

You know that's an open.beta so users can give feedback and report bugs, right?

Just give them your feedback and stop whining here, you autistic fuck.

THE CANCER, IT BURNS!!!

What's stopping you from installing one of the shitton of vertical tab extensions to Pale Meme?

The first thing I do is install Classic Theme Restorer, because it is no longer possible to get an acceptable interface otherwise.

The latest version broke compatibility with those extensions for some reason or another, unless they've released a newer version since then.

I'm having trouble even starting to read this post.

XUL extensions are a broken piece of shit. Mozilla has
made patches in the past for specific addons, this is one of the many reason why they're moving away from.those extensions.

27.0 removed support for Jetpack, which broke quite a few old extensions. 27.1 included some compatibility layers and many popular extensions were since patched to work on top of that. I suggest you try once again.

I was stuck on 26.x till last weekend myself, due to some essential (to me) addons not working on 27. By now most were fixed and I found a replacement for one that was not.

I have a shitty notebook and Firefox works just fine while chromium makes everything slow to a crawl

What bandwidth is being saved? You know MNG and WebP can both do lossless animations with transparency too, right?

Let's not pretend that these are used by anyone. Ever.
I mean, APNG is kind of 'obscure' as it is, but at least it is used every once and again

True. Too bad that those are needed to get a proper UI on firefox. Can't wait for web-extensions only: no more classic theme restorer, vertical tabs, tab groups, et cetera.
Firefox will just be chrome with slightly less botnet and a lot more memory leaking

anyone taking bets on when mozzarella will announce the discontinuation of gecko and switch to webkit?

firefox isn't going to be stuck on webextensions, they just had to rewrite all their more powerful APIs in order for anything to work at all. XUL was a mistake.

Already being worked on by Mozilla.

Things change, user.

Hopefully never. Electrolysis should be the future.

How about the company that's paying to keep Mozilla's lights on?

It isn't. Not on the wide internet, where you need compatibility with at least the most common browsers. Not anywhere else, where there's a ton of better formats in use already. It's literally only used in Pozilla itself for some UI elements' graphics.
It's utterly obsolete today anyway like PNG, and unlike PNG there is no "backward compatibility" reason to use it, since nobody ever used it.

Chrome just added support for APNG, so there's no reason to not use it now.

This is you.

Chromium has backdoors and they put a black box on it.

Didn't they originally HAVE support for APNG before removing it? Why would they re-add it? Is it fundamentally compatible with WebP in some way?

Use the scrubbed chromium patchsets, retard. There at least 3 at the moment to choose from - inox, iridium, ungoogled (I'm using ungoogled).

The only trouble is that upstream chromium has the most up to date builds, the forks usually lag behind by few weeks after major version release in dev channel.

Now that he said it here, it brings attention to it so more users can whine at the beta
I see nothing wrong with it

Tech companies have leaders who are beta cucks.
When society tells beta cucks to hire based on diversity, beta cucks comply.

When people hired due to diversity are female jews nigger, and other useless stuff, they are put in managerial and design roles, because they are the only ones without any kind of objective way to measure quality.

Once those people are in charge of UI and decisions, everything slowly goes to shit, because those people are not hired due to their ability but the color of their skin or their genitals configuration.

This is how we get shitty UI

Thanks for proving my point.

Cry some more: blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/

The reason not to use it is that it's a crap format. It's utterly obsolete. The only reason to use obsolete formats is for compatibility with old software that doesn't support anything better. But old software doesn't support APNG either.
If you insist on throwing out backwards compatibility for newest and shiniest formats, use WebP. It's superior in every metric.

That, and APNG is still unsupported on Micrapsoft browsers, which some flaming homosexuals out there apparently still insist on using.

please leave firefox shill

macfags have infiltrated moz:lla to kill it from the inside

macfags have infiltrated moz:lla to kill it from the inside.

You're not fooling anyone.

How does it feel to know everyone fucking hates you?

It feels like conspiracy theories.

I don't care about what you two are squabbling over, but calling something a conspiracy theory doesn't just magically invalidate it.

Tumblr aside, the man who invented Javascript shouldn't be celebrated in any fashion, nor was he opposed to the bullshit now ruining Firefox. So I'd say it made no difference.

When you have no proof of what you say, that is nothing more than a conspiracy theory. I can claim you're a dog typing on the Internet. Does this make it true? I don't know, I don't have any proof that you're a dog.

No, u.

underrated post

That is actually completely hideous.

The web would be about a trillion times better if more people adopted apng tbh.

APNG is meaningless compared to VP8, VP9 and Webm.

Animated image is a video without sound.
H.264, VP8 or VP9 do better compression than GIF or APNG.

come back when literally anyone ever actually wants this

Looks like they are now going to clone Opera instead.

You honestly believe that animated images are not videos?

Tell imgur's userbase that.

You can call them videos if you really want to, but there is a reason why people often choose agif over actual video formats: it's because sometimes you don't want an animation to be treated like a video.

Here, compare this apng to this webm. It's the same animation, but two different experiences. Note how the apng loops much more smoothly than the webm, because your browser doesn't have to restart a video player every two seconds just to make it loop. See how when you wave your mouse around on it, you don't get a video player interface popping up to help you navigate through a two-frame animation, which is obviously completely unnecessary. Apart from the music, there's really no reason for the webm version here to exist, because simple, repetitive animations like this are better off not treated like videos.

Sorry, I can't note that. The only thing that doesn't loop smoothly is music. The image loops perfectly fine.
Browser does not restart the video to make it loop, it just changes the current time to zero as soon as it reaches the end of the video.
This is true. But you can make it disabled by default on your web-site if you want to. In that case the controls won't appear unless the user clicks RMB on the video and selects "Show Controls". You can easily guess when the controls should be shown and when they should be hidden -- by video duration. Having an option to seek is much better than waiting for an animated image to loop in case you have missed something.

Even if any of your claims would actually be that big of a deal, it's browser's (i.e. video player's) issue, not format's.
GIF was made for small icons and shit like that and it was doing its job fine back in the days of GeoCities. But nowadays people want to make GIFs of moments from movies and things like that. Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to make such GIF under 2 MiB. APNG isn't a solution to that problem.

The options for the attached video:
ffmpeg -i kiss.gif -an -c:v libx264 -tune animation -preset placebo -crf 28 -movflags +faststart kiss.mp4
Obviously, you can make it even smaller with VP9 but I'm just too lazy to wait.

Fuck, I completely forgot that browsers can't play Y′UV444p. Fixed.

What other browsers have tree style tabs?

who cares tbh

I think you just completely undermined your own argument.

If your web browser doesn't support the Gif specification, then you'd get the same problem. If your Gif program has faulty support for the Gif specificication, then you'd get the same problem. There is absolutely no difference for that.