Linux suspend/hibernate

Why are suspend and hibernate mode so completely broken in Linux? They don't work on my laptop (shitty thinkpad yoga), and they ALSO don't work on my desktop. Is it neglected drivers? Bad motherboard brand? Do the kernel devs just ignore it?

Or is there some kind of easy fix I'm not noticing?

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html#s3.1
git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/plain/Documentation/power/apm-acpi.txt
cgit.freedesktop.org/pm-utils/tree/pm/pm-functions.in#n292
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Get a better motherboard is the only thing I can think of, always research what you wanna buy to see if Linux plays well on it. Other than that I suppose you could submit bug reports to the kernel devs to see if they can get it fixed

Because companies like nvidia and AMD do not contribute to free their source code and still demand blobs in most cases.

hibernate and suspend works with intel and nouveau drivers for me.

Just turn your computer off, Jesus.

It just werks on my computer. I don't know what to tell you.

linux is shit, for thrash people

OS without hibernation is useless

why won't linux force companies to release source code? why linux fat guys are so weak?

nice try fucking normalfag

They work flawlessly on my desktop. Ironically enough windows never could sleep/hibernate worth a shit.

One shit standard: ACPI. ACPI is an entirely fucked interface for "power management", key features include vendor-controlled (and often non-compliant) firmware bytecode which must be executed in ring 0, incoherent standard designed by committee, and lots of buggy/non-compliant chipsets implementing it.

Hardware vendors are the ones to blame, same with buggy GPU and wifi drivers. In general, if there's some piece hardware for which open-source kernels consistently have trouble, across multiple independent projects, it's the hardware vendor's fault. The main factors are openness and quality of documents, and the consistency of implementations with it. ACPI does horribly at the latter, meh at the former. There is no standard for GPUs and wifi. You'll notice, however, you rarely hear problems about hard drives not working, or PCI, or USB storage or peripheral devices, which are well-documented and have very consistent behavior across chipsets.

Why even support ACPI then, except to the most minimal extent so that the hardware runs? Fuck even bothering with hibernation, suspend, and all that other crap. So what if people are unhappy? That's good. It brings more awareness about how badly the hardware manufacturers are behaving.

I also have a thinkpad yoga (the Y20) and it works well for me. I close/open the lid all the time with no adverse effects.

Hardware and firmware is developed with Windows in mind. As soon as it works with Windows they ship it, so megacorp Microsoft don't have to do shit. Whereas the Linux community has to put a lot of effort into making it work also with Linux, and work around all the bullshit by manufacturers.
Take the above into consideration.

I've had issues with my laptop from time to time.

Certain kernels and certain power managers just won't work correctly and my system either won't hibernate or it will randomly hibernate because my system incorrectly reports the battery as depleted.

Eventually I tried Debian stable MATE and everything just werkz.

Because you want your laptop battery to last more than 30 minutes.

Which distro did you use before Debian?

Tried various flavors of Ubuntu and Mint.

They would work sometimes but eventually an update would fuck everything up.

\m/(-_-)\m/

werks for me

Just write your ram all over that disk goy

Has not worked on any of my hardware.

This. "Hibernation" is literally a NSA plot to get you to store the contents of your RAM to your disk.
You will say that you use full disk encryption, but that is no excuse because given a situation (e.g. crossing borders after some terrorist attack happened) where you have a choice between giving them your keys or going to Guantanamo they will be able to see leftovers of your RAM.
If you hibernate then you need to shred as well. Or simply don't hibernate and leave the computer turned off for some time before going into such situations to prevent cold-boot attacks.

You could look at Manjaro, its Arch but requires less autism, is more stable and is easy to set up. The Arch wiki is also an incredibly good source of information, you can usually solve any issue on the system by checking it.

Manjaro is even worse than Mint. Do I have to link to all the embarrassing things they did, like asking their users to set back their system's time to make their certs work?
I used plain Arch+i3 for a few years so I don't mind autism, but I don't really trust Arch all that much, and their community has really turned to shit since it has been infiltrated by all the dumb ricers and redditors. Void could become a superb alternative to Arch after it matures more.
IMO Debian will always be a pretty good fallback distro when you don't know where to go. You can do a minimal netinstall and go full autism if you want as well.

Debian is less practical though because a lot of software is really old on Debian, including libs, which makes compiling from source a pain

Why not Debian unstable? Even Debian themselves consider it a valid choice:
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html#s3.1

At my university, PCs running debian just restart when pressing the power button

The button in debian sorry

echo mem | exec sudo tee /sys/power/state

what does this do

RTFM

first it sets your power state to meme to boost your shitposting abilities, then it suspends your system to ram

That's only a problem if you have things to hide that are illegal enough for targeted surveillance. Hibernation is fine for almost all people, it doesn't affect mass surveillance.

Stop making bad life choices user.

Werks On My Machine(TM)

Take the poo to the loo.

that's a bit excessive, just doing
$echo mem>/sys/power/state
should be sufficient

It's almost like people with actual useful technical skills work on products that are purchased so they can get paid for their work instead of doing everything for free.

Just werks here. Search harder.

W10 can turn off properly without restart or i didn't checked it.

You can encrypt the swap partition.

vs

Manjaro have its issues, but they don't have anything to do with their website.

Use sid. Maybe.

kek

I've never had sleep/hibernate functions work properly on any distro, on any laptop.

After 10 years of using Linux as my daily driver, accumulating a vast array of shell scripts to overcome the many quirks and gaps, I threw in the towel.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro now, and my life is many times better for it. I feel so stupid for falling for the Linux meme in the first place.

I used windows all my life, then switched to linux seeing my interest for knowledge and programming. Few months ago I tried windows again (win7) and realized how precious linux really is, if you're anyone except a gamer or a video/audio producer (professional).

Yep, you sounds like a retarded tech illiterate.

git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/plain/Documentation/power/apm-acpi.txt

pm-utils is a great script to the dirty work of
echo -n "mem" > /sys/power/state
and saving, setting and restoring modes in /sys/power/disk for hibernation.
echo -n "disk" > /sys/power/state

cgit.freedesktop.org/pm-utils/tree/pm/pm-functions.in#n292

I have a runit service containing that one liner so I can suspend without needing to touch root directly.

Also why is the shittiest bait on this board without fail also sub-70 IQ tiers of illiterate?

Gaming and audio production are two major reasons I switched back to Windows. I've made some decent music with Ardour and Hydrogen, but they have about 5% of the features of modern Windows programs in that domain.

If that's the case, it's pretty amazing that I've been so successful as a software developer all these years.

/g/ tier shitpost

And I'm a seven foot tall aryan supergod with an 18 inch dick.

Fuck I need to set that up so I don't have to keep entering my root password just to hibernate and suspend.
Oddly enough, I've had a ton of trouble getting the mainstream shit to hibernate and suspend my laptops running gentoo, so I just resort to echoing to /sys/power/state because it works without fail. Set my sleep hotkey to run a script that first runs i3lock then puts it to hibernate, not that it's really necessary since nobody within miles of me could possibly understand how to use i3, they barely understand how to use windows.

Yeah you're totally making your case here.

javascript isn't software development

Having opinions can make you a target

Is this board full of CS dropouts? So jelly.

Like I said, it was my daily driver for over 10 years. It's not a question of competency, it's about using the right tools for the job.

Sleep and hibernate have never worked in any capacity. On ANY OS. Fucking Windows piece of shit always has SOMETHING that's fucked up after coming back from sleep/hibernate. I can't stand it. Just turn your god damn computer off like a normal god damn person, else leave it on 24/7.

Not everybody is a C# codemonkey like you.
My right tools are on FLOSS systems and i don't have the issues you couldn't solve for a decade. Pity...

It's true, not everybody is a gamer/programmer/musician, who needs a machine that can host a decent DAW with all the plugins, run a VM stack when its time to run functional testing , and stream AAA games to my living room. All on a light laptop w/ an eGPU for docking. My setup eloquently satisfies all of my home computing needs and requires laughably little maintenance, and it's all made possible by Windows.

For what it's worth, I mainly work in Java, but I have been using C# and powershell quite a bit lately. I have to say, I'm very impressed. Visual Studio has come a long way, too, in the past decade. I'm seriously considering Xamarin for my next mobile app (been using Oracle MAF but deploying with an embedded JVM won't be quick enough until Project Jigsaw drops in Java 9).

Sorry for calling your beloved Linux a "meme", that's just a personal issue she and I have. If it's sufficient for your purpose, that's absolutely fantastic.

fuck off normalfag

this.
linux is garbage

BULLSHIT. on Windows XP it works perfectly. maybe on your crap linux it doesn't

Dude you're ego tripping on an anonymous image board dedicated to Chinese cartoons. Based on all your posts you're either a complete liar or just really insecure. No one cares that windows is easy for you and let's you stream assassins creed 7 and call of duty 14.

I concede. I didn't ditch Linux because it is a primitive O/S with minimal 3rd party support. I'm simply an idiot. You see right through me.

I don't even need my laptop battery, because it's always connected to mains power. And if I need to move it (which is rare), I just shut it off.
I only bought laptop because it was cheaper than desktop+LCD and takes less space. But my next computer will be a Beaglebone or similar.

Don't get a big ego. CS isn't even real engineering.

I second this.

This.

then tell me what's not working with sleep hibernation on win xp

I had times when I hibernated every day, even for months. So imagine 60 hibernations & unhibernations on single session. Everything worked

This is the cancer killing software

More like the cancer itself.

tfw have this same issue

Why the fuckitty fuck do they fuck it up?

HOW can you fuck it up?

It seems like something so fucking simple.

No. it's the ACPI shit. Either get a better DE which uses the correct ACPI shits.

Because you don't want your laptop killing itself while idle (or probably killing you with battery explosion)

Linux is an optional OS. Luckily the time's come and few companies sell linux ware like system76 or trueOS.

FOSH is coming soon although we really need a to solution for that 2k38 unix problem which affects *bsd/nix and windows.

PC without hibernation is useless and unusable

Can you show me how does life of a person without hibernation look like? They basically close fucking all applications, web browser etc, just because they go to fucking sleep? Then next day lose few hours to start everything?

Why even?

they target everyone because machines made it easier to do. 'automated surveillance'

hahaha. see you in the streets

you probably used a noob installer distro and put 1GB or 2GB for your swap when you have 4GB or higher RAM

unless you make a swapfile or increase your swap partition to match size of your RAM.

Just get the proper ACPI drivers. They're not installed by default depending on the maintainers etc etc

lol on windows u dont need stupid swap partition
and can resize swap or hibernation file with single mouse click

Now try that again with every combination of hardware, so you can prove WinXP never crashes.

I just leave my computer running 24/7. That's what I've been doing the past couple decades anyway. I used to turn the monitor off though, when it was a CRT (or just let the DPMS handle it, when the "green bios/monitor" stuff came along).
Even when I was running plain old DOS, I'd leave the machine on. Oftentimes I would upload/download stuff from BBS overnight anyway.

both features work superb here with my ultra-freetard, old hardware setup: Thinkpad X60 and Parabola GNU/Linux-libre.

What distro are you using? Is it supposed to provide hibernation support by default (many leave that to the user)? I find it hard to believe that newer hardware isn't supported in the kernel.

If you're gonna bait, at least do a fucking search before shitposting

this is what 8ch users actually believe

that's one strategy

here fam
~ # cat /etc/sv/suspend-mem/run#!/bin/shset -esv o .if [ $(stat -Lc %G supervise) = root ]; then chgrp wheel ./supervise ./supervise/control ./supervise/ok chmod g+rX ./supervise chmod g+w ./supervise/control ./supervise/ok exitfiprintf mem > /sys/power/statewpa_cli reassociate
then set the hotkey to do `sv u suspend-mem`

You haven't noticed that people are walking around with smartphone, or at most small tablet, instead of laptop these days?
Anyway laptops are almost as lame as the above items these days. My next computer will be Cubieboard or something else like that.

If that automated surveillance includes scraping raw hard disk content then you're fucked whether you use hibernation or not.

most linux users disable power saving features. why would anyone want to hibernate their server

What the fuck do you think PAGEFILE.SYS is you retarded nigger?

The Windows equivalent of a swap file? He said Windows doesn't need a swap partition. Reading comprehension nigger

get chemo'd, retard

What, you don't load windows 10 by furiously swapping 5.25" floppies in and out?

You're just retarded, OP. This board needs fucking IDs.

t. bill gates

They both work on my computers, so you're just retarded OP. Also I don't even use either of them because I leave my computer for more than 24 hours at a time on occasion, perhaps you should stretch more?

This.

The laptop I'm on now was mostly useless to me for about a year because of proprietary trackpad and wifi card drivers. It finally works with the latest release of Arch

maybe a stupid question OP, but do you have any swap space mapped? Hibernate mode requires it IIRC.

Not on Ubuntu. :^)