Grace Hopper Needs Your Help

Yale Women: Renaming Calhoun College for Feminist Icon ‘Perpetuates White Supremacy’

heatst.com/culture-wars/yale-womens-center-says-renaming-calhoun-college-for-feminist-icon-perpetuates-white-supremacy/

Not everyone is happy about Yale’s decision to rename Calhoun College from a slaveowner and white supremacist to a feminist icon, Rear Adm. Grace Murray Hopper. The loudest outcry comes not from anyone wishing to preserve history, but from the Yale Women’s Center, which claims that choosing a white woman ignores Yale’s history of slavery and perpetuates white supremacy.

The university organization is displeased that Yale chose the accomplished alumna and computer science pioneer instead of a woman of color. On Facebook (via Yale Daily News), the center said the choice of Hopper doesn’t reflect the issues and values raised by Yale students.

In the self-contradicting post, the center said that while they were “happy with the decision,” and hoped Hopper would inspire future generations of women in STEM education, it wasn’t good enough. They declared it an “act of whitewashing” that “silenced” student voices.

“We had hoped for a name change that acknowledged the years of activism by students of color and New Haven activists. We feel the decision to change the name from a white supremacist to a white woman, as amazing as she may be, is an act of whitewashing.”

It went on: “[T]he decision to rename the college after another white person seems like an attempt to end this discussion on the history of white supremacy and its active and continued role in this institution and on our campus.”

A PR person for the women’s center, Vicki Beizer, told the student newspaper that the administration let them down by ignoring names that would have “carried the dialogue further,” and that “renaming the college after a white woman doesn’t put the cork in the bottle.”

Members of the organization also published an op-ed for the Daily to argue that “white femininity has often been used as a tool to enforce racist and colonialist structures,” and that naming the college after Hopper was a “continuous perpetuation of white supremacy.”

Last year, the women’s center objected to a visit by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who was set to lecture on “Islam and the West.” Ali, a Somali-born women’s rights activist and fierce critic of religious extremism, has faced blowback from social justice activists for being critical of political Islam.

The women’s center, along with several other student organizations, urged the university to disinvite Ali. They argued that she “does not hold the credentials” to speak as an authority on the religion despite being a scholar and researcher on political Islam.

The women’s center also urges the university to “immediately develop a protocol for making itself a sanctuary campus,” which would allow illegal immigrants to seek refuge at the university.

Other urls found in this thread:

niceme.me
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Please try to ignore troll threads.

this is troll thread?

wew lad

If you care about technology then you need to stand up for Grace Hopper. Do you want the recognition to go to some nobody because of identity politics?

Get motivated, then with righteous anger write the concerned parties at Yale and explain to them why 8ch Holla Forums believes that Grace Hopper deserves to be recognized.

If you care about technology, there are hundred of people more competent than Hopper. They just don't have a bagina.
There was no reason to change it anyway, and students that aren't doing Marxism 101 are too busy to care about this shit.

--George W. Bush

They should build a new building or statue and name it/model it after her.

Removing the names of people who where monsters makes us forget about them.
I am against of removing the name in the first place

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
--George Santayana

These people should end themselves

The people who get into Yale are intelligent. They have to be in order to get there. So how the fuck do they end up believing this shit?

Anyway, I don't care. As they add more qualifiers - 'it has to be a woman...of colour...who's disabled...' - they'll just run out of people who've achieved anything. They can't name every building the Maya Angelou Centre for Nigger Studies.

Well, the very reason they're considering changing it to Grace Hopper is identity politics. They'll eventually change it again anyway.

No life experience and no perspective.

They genuinely believe that every "Person of the Colour" in every inner city ghetto is a potential award winning rocket scientist being denied their rightful future because of systemic oppression. That's what they have been told since they were kids.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

niceme.me

The college is getting renamed regardless. Its too late for it to retain the name Calhoun.

Some choices in life are binary. Either we get Grace Hopper for the dedication at the college or we don't. Its time to stand up and be counted.

Good points.

In that particular case it had more to do with him being the son of a powerful member of Skull and Bones

Makise Kurisu is one of Holla Forums's resident trolls.

Despite your personal attack, this is a real news story and a real issue in which 8ch Holla Forums has an opportunity to make an impact, in a very positive way that will gather more support for this board.

You effectively said they're not intelligent.

I sincerely hope everything about this is fake

sage for not technology

the character whose moniker you adopt would be generally unconcerned with such matters
why do you post sjw on Holla Forums
why cant you post tech on Holla Forums

This isn't actually technology. This is the social politics surrounding the memorial of a tech leader.

Am I supposed to give a shit about the garbage ivy league trust-fundie colleges still?

Yes

That's kinda what I was driving at. Yale is the Apple of universities. You're paying a premium for the brand name, when what they offer is really no better than any of their hundreds of competitors.

You don't need to be a genius to graduate from Yale, any more than you need to be a genius to graduate from UCLA or Penn State or frickin' Mizzou. The only real difference is that you need more cash than the average.

SJWs will always object whatever you do. Give them a hand and they bitch it isn't the whole arm. That's why you never ever negotiate with them. Yale could have renamed itself after a nigger dwarf trans octopus pirate and they would complain it's discriminatory against feathered animals.
To hell with all of them. Yale for being faggots and SJWs for being themselves.

OK I only read the first paragraph and that sounds unbelievably fucking whiny and feminazi as fuck, crying over the dumbest shit.

Do you have anything interesting to contribute about technology?

LotGH is one of the best animes ever made, and if not for GuP it might have taken the top slot. Of course I have a weak spot for militaristic anime.