Mozilla and why they remove features to be like Chrome - a detailed analysis

Mozilla - has one big problem!

The issue is that they are always in attack mode and are willing to fight! They are doing that since day one. Mozilla tried to fight against IE and have been able to break it's dominance a bit with useful and cool features.

Then Chrome arrived. Moz tried the same strategy too, but it was not working as it used to work in the past. So they have been thinking about something else. Beat them with their own weapon. If Mozilla would walk away from their attack mode and would accept things as they are, it would not have ended like that. But their latest plans/goals are also a total failure. So why still going on with that. Moz had a nice market share during Firefox until version 20 or something like that. Enough to shove it into Google's face and make them realize that they are not winning to 100%. But even that was not enough for them. Moz wanted to become number one, no matter what it has to be done to reach that goal. For this they are sacrificing user's interests.

History has showed it that crusades never will lead to success. We had already crusaders being beaten up for being ignorant and power hungry. And that's what Mozilla is facing too. They are crusaders on a conflict for influence and breaking the dominance of Google Chrome. But if they betray the own user base for this fight, they are nothing better than the enemy Moz want to take out.

Learn history Mozilla, we already have been there. Crusades never will lead to success. We had a believe driven crusade which failed. We had a war driven crusade which failed (luckily). What makes Mozilla believe that they win their crusade?

Also to count into is the following:

blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02/16/the-road-to-firefox-57-compatibility-milestones/#comment-223542

Jorge made it more than clear that ui customization is no longer a supported functionality!

Mozilla mentions also quite often maintenance or security reasons for removing features.. but the truth behind which everyone knows is the following:

Maintenance and security is a reason, but not the biggest. The thing is simple users are representing the biggest part of the market share. Chrome owns the largest percentage of the market share.

So what do companies do which try to gather a large part of that users too? They restrict and remove features from which they know that simple users are not going to accept them and refusing to use a browser with such features inside.

Opera has done it. Even Microsoft has done it partly with Edge - even if they can't remove much features as they do not had many in the first place. Everyone adopts that new simplicity trend because big companies show that they earn that way money and gather large influence. Even an Open Source company like Mozilla is not willing to ignore that.

Ask a simple user if he would use a software with customization and tons of accessibility features inside. The answer is a clear no-brainer. And what are you doing then to gather that users? Kill features and restrict the feature set until a point that these users switch over.

Saved money is a nice side effect, but not the main reason of all that. Like it or not, we experience a 180 degree shift of priorities. And in most cases advanced users are the one's who lose everything as it is not possible to earn enough with users like us today.

The rest is left to you, looking forward for a friendly and healthy discussion!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TXw5lRi97YY
servo.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=_cLN5zhjeFc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Need to free the browser, need something like the Linux Kernel project or Tox :^) but for a browser. Though doubt we will find someone like Torvalds to run it.

We need a new browser that isn't a fork of Firefox or Google Botnet.

Any FF fork is bound to be "firefox except less functional", that's why we need a new independent browser that adds features and shit on their own accord and doesn't just hijack code from firefox.

Sad thing is there is none. We could build our own using QTWebkit or QTWebengine toolkit.

But maintaining an own engine is not possible.

So they complete missed how google imposed itself on the market.
If I use the word "imposed" it's not for nothing I could even use the word "forced" or "malware".

Google chrome imposed itself via other software because people DON'T FUCKING READ OR KNOW SHIT.
They imposed themselves because people most people install avast, avira, ccleaner, µtorrent and other botnet software.
Google had the money to finance that for more than a decade. (pic related)
No shit it's everywhere.

So basically google chrome force it's way troughs the market because of the sheer stupidity of users.
If you want to counter that you don't make shit software/community.

That's not what social justice warriors thinks about that.

And what effect does this kind of thinking brings ?
No-brainer people.
If the only possibility you let to people is to be this smart you will never have people better that the said limit.
Mozilla will get the community that they want, brainless followers (like all sjws).

Emacs/insert_rendering_engine

SJW are not really the issue. The issue is that Mozilla keeps on battling Google with offering more of the same.

And for this they throw away all what makes them unique.

That is meant with crusade. Mozilla hopes that way they can defeat Google. That many users switch over once they reduced their feature set to a bit above Chrome level.

What's the evidence Mozilla is "fighting" Google? Maybe they are controlled by the same people, that's why they are becoming the same. Remember, a few years ago Google was paying like 99% of Mozilla's money.

It's all irrelevant anyway. Let normalfags use what they want, and we can just move on to better browsers.

What kind of features does a web browser actually need? All it needs to do is render HTML, CSS and interpret Javascript. And do it fast.

I would love a browser that's as barebones as it gets and then provides an extension system to add anything you want. That way people could put everything including the kitchen sink into the browser and I could enjoy my barebones HTML renderer. And very importantly: make it a native 1st class citizen on every system it runs on.

There's nothing wrong with a Firefox fork as long as it successfully becomes independent.

I think it is.
Most of time when I see SJWs act or discuss it's always comes to inane subjects or results.
And the fact that they think that it's a solutions is by itself inane.

I can understand that if they make a interface that is google like for users who are migrating from chrome to FF.
But they didn't do that for the said precedent purpose..

For my own use, interface is interface has long has I can compile it I am ok.
But I know for less experienced users this isn't an good point for their direct "userExperience".
I prefer (when I go help people) to just have to do some few clics in the options/preferences to.

To resume what I am thinking they are taking their users for incapable retards and want to get rid of the userbase that does conform to they future view.
Most users are incapable of correctly using the software that is true, but it isn't a reason to abuse them by treating them has such.

None, but there isn't any proof (for what I know) of the contrary either.

That was because the contract predated the creation of chrome.

It irrelevant to you.
But normalfag condemns us to use some of the shit tools that are designed for them, like javascript for example.

hahaha good one

There isn't any ethical fork for what I known, Well except for icecat.

I wish they would remove bloat like javascript.

What's wrong with Palemoon, ethically speaking?

What really happened was that moles from Google infiltrated the Mozilla board and is driving the browser in this direction. Once v57 hits and destroys all the add-ons, that will be it for Firefox.

Others will move onto either Chrome, Seamonkey, Pale Moon, or Vivaldi.

Mozillas downfall started with Eich leaving

Is mozilla deleting all the extensions? Why?

So they can copy Chrome and use web extensions!

No, you autistic fuckhead, he says that they're going to introduce APIs that allow seamless and forwards compatible customization of the UI. Whereas, every update with addons that used internal and mostly undocumented ways to customize the UI that could change at any time. Let alone the fact that there are some security sensitive parts of the UI that they want to restrict from addons.

Good job making another browser thread, dipshit. You're a fucking normalfaggot who does all of your computing in browsers, and as soon as anything changes you start your autistic squaking.

Oh, and let me quote so you don't start bumping your thread in an autistic fury:

Web extensions are objectively better

Ho I forgot about palemoon.
I haven't tried it or looked at is so I don't know.

Just end yourself

Mozilla isn't deleting the add-ons
their just changing the API thus needing redeveloping the addons (or making a layer that will make the old addons work)

this

Start a fire and die in it.

You know there was a feature set built inside before it was ripped out in version 29 - Mozilla made an issue on their own with customization because they no longer wanted to feature it inside the browser.

Then they outsourced it, CTR took over and Mozillas changes started to break stuff. So it is important to limit customization to reduce breakage....

The fact is if customization would not have been outsourced in the first place, there never would have a problem with it.

It only became a problem because Mozilla restructured Firefox because of Chrome users.

Annoying Mozilla Firechrome apologist!

This also applies to your own mindless drivel.

Webextensions are Google technology. Google technology is always shit and not superior.

Jorge is as the rest of Mozilla an asshole. They are more willing to serve pathetic and worthless simple users than powerful users with knowledge.

Granted, Opera is worse as they replaced their whole browser with Chrome, but Mozilla is a close second.

Disgusting developers who are hungering for Chrome users to switch over. Something like that will not happen, not in the way Mozilla hopes.

Even if they would adopt Blink, they would not beat Google.

All what Mozilla does is hurting themselves with decisions favoring the most disgusting user class out there.. Noobs!

And Google and it's god damn simplicity trend has to be blamed for it. Fuck Google and FUCK Mozilla!

Fuck off back to Holla Forums, you retarded aspie.
Learn to fucking read, you retarded aspie.

No, more like they're willing to remove incalcuable man hours of technical debt to get Firefox off of a single thread. The fact that they're willing to appease, at most, 250,000-500,000 power users by implementing additional web extension APIs for customization shows that you do not know what you are talking about.
No one cares what you think, aspie. Go make another browser thread back on 4chan.org/g/, I'm sure you can get a bunch of other assburgers like yourself who have no idea the problems Firefox currently has and have never maintained anything more simple than a FizzBuzz.

Fuck off back to Reddit.

I've had a civil comment on that page waiting approval for a couple days now. I'm guessing it's never getting published since it mentions Pale Moon.

Not even remotely. The very first bad bad decision they made to fuck with power users happened just as they started the Google-tier version numbering scheme. It was way back in 2006 or so when they decided to shove bookmarks information all into a giant singular sqlite profile file, shitting on sysadmins and people who like to dual boot between OSs or browse between profiles.

qutebrowser

Never go full retard user

Yes they are, SJWs are the reason why I'm a permavirgin jobless piece of shit that will never amount to anything and believe in shit posted on Holla Forums

Oh look, the fuckwit with broken english schizophrenic rants and /^Mozilla/ thread titles is here for his monthly pants-shitting.

All it's missing is a blogspam link to ghacks.net.

Try posting something with the phrase "Pale Moon" in the comments. They'll never publish it.

You've never been to Holla Forums. We have fewer neets than Holla Forums. Then again, even Japan has fewer neets than Holla Forums.

If this affects waterfox in any way i'm going to fucking scream

I've been on since before it was called Holla Forums, and Holla Forums definitely is the most pathetic out of all.

Your premise is flawed. Chrome was developed to work like Firefox Australis.

How is CCleaner botnet? Or is this more buzzwords?

then why does having more than 5 running crash chrome?

Probably because if youre retarded and leave it running and forget to uncheck a few boxes that person thinks its a botnet. Outside of that it wont do much. So yes, its a fucking meme

I'm trying to understand how that headline about left-wing activists is to be understood.

I'm finding the headline to be a very obvious statement, about idealistic people who dislike the capitalistic system they live in.

However eventually, because you'll end up with a depression because you're not able to provide for yourself or starve to death you have to cut back on the idealism and get a job, and then slowly assimilate into capitalist society as a reluctant, but well conforming consumer.

After that they probably end up being the worst kind of people. I mean like people who used to smoke, but quit and then starts to bug all the happy smokers. Because that's the only way to justify that you betrayed yourself and your beliefs.

This.

Too bad Electrolysis started under Eich as CTO, you fucking retarded faggot.

Fake news. What are you? Donald Trump? Australis is a rip-off of Google Chrome.

Mozilla is copying Google since Google started to become successful because that fucking developer retards and Mozilla cocksucking whores decided that simple users which should all be exterminated - are much more important than power users and their more complex feature demand.

And here we have a Mozilla cock sucking simple user who hates features and who hates everyone who is willing to question Fuckzillas gay Google love.

SJW ant, dig a hole and shit yourself out of existance!

Only a minimalist lover and anti customization fascist is willing to support the dirty whores of Mozilla.

Who is sucking Google's dick and ballz has no right of existence. That affects Opera, that affects Vivaldi, Brave.. And that affects also Gayzilla Google Dicksucker-Fox

The image is clearly about how google is shoving ads for its browser in every program

Where do you retards keep coming from?

Australis was in development long before Chrome ever existed. It just happened to be completed after Chrome was released.

not an argument

Oh, you mean the ones that install Firefox into the few normies' computers that still use them, or at the very least recommend it instead of Chrome?

You people are retarded. Piss off your power users and your userbase will *evaporate*.

Perhaps the UI look, but not the missing of customizations as a whole. This was done because Fascistzilla became full Google fanboy.

If i would have to say anything i would erase all of you minimalist bitches with my bare hands out out this universe.

You can go to hell and Fuckzilla Chromedicksuckfox can got to hell too you useless son of a bitch! Fuck you!

Minimalist dicksuckers have not the tiniest reason to say anything how technology is advancing.

You freaks should better be silent or we'll belt you one right in your butt ugly face!

They miss the point. Firefox is weak because they've lost the talent to create features that users want. The features they introduce are so bad that people actively leave for Chrome.

They need to hire talent and get people on board that can do something better than dumb shit like pocket and integrating social media.

If they don't address their real problem, they're just going to be a crappy, sub-par knock off of Chrome that's slower.

Firefox's problem is performance. It's slow. Finish Servo, fix their JS performance. If other things aren't broken, stop cutting them. The real problems with firefox are almost all performance related.

They're going to end up cutting features and and up with a featureless, slow browser and Chrome will be the featureless fast browser.

The last time i installed it they didnt even have those optioms in there. Im pretty sure thats an older version

You can't just say a low tier paid shitposting group has now infiltrated Mozilla and is causing this. What are you, a retard?

If you had just said /g/ everyone here would have known what you meant, you utterly triggered faggot

For real? Am I shitposting in a proxy reddit thread? What the fuck is going on

If you have already installed google chrome or already refused once they don't ask you again except if you delete temp or the reg key.

I liked the web when it was an SGML-based standard for simple interactive documents.

Do you guys remember back when people started to implement entire websites in flash, and it was all shit? That's how I feel about things now, only difference is that it's part of the native web stack.

I would even trade this shit for the marquee and the blink!

Don't forget that today's websites are made by Pajeet Srinivasarao, who got hired by a major website supposedly because he has a certification on CSS but in reality because his incompetence will only cost them 400 dollars a month.

Whew they finally published a load of comments about Pale Moon. Think one of them posts here?

Classic Theme Restorer you dunces.

not an argument

doesn't change the fact that he's right

youtube.com/watch?v=TXw5lRi97YY

Why are features generally being removed from all software? It's a trend I've noticed, and I can't understand why this is happening.

I've contributed bug reports for Netsurf and Konqueror. What are you worth, you illiterate pissant?

WEEEEEEEW LAAAAAAD

The more configuration options there are, the harder it is for developers to manage. It's far easier to develop and maintain programs with fewer rather than more configuration options.

Good ruse, Cruz.
impressed.png

Palindrome get, check'em!

anti customization COMMUNIST.

Fascists are actually good people. It's COMMUNISTS who are the murderous totalitarian scum. Fascists just love to give free helicopter rides and fumigation services.

The whole fucking reason I use firefox is the features. Take that away and why should I continue to put up with their memory leaks?

pretty sure mozilla browser missed the point, when the started making their browser for a shapeless formless 'other', instead of for themselves.

google has always had the money. ads, intel, cointelpro, alphabets, etc. no one can really 'compete' against that, nor ever could. the only other to that is apple, microsoft, and to a lesser extent redhat. since mozilla hitched itself to google out of transition necessity way back, it was a gift that festered and turned into a dependency. when the 2007 shit rolled around, then 2009, mozilla was in a very sjw-or-google-or-nothing position. and again, they lost their own self mission.

it's been on and off. it seems to follow with each economic crisis, that they switch to loosing their way faster. otherwise, it still has it's unique uses.

if they kill their plugins any more, it won't be much.

I suspect both were designed to mimic Safari, especially since Chrome is a fork thereof.

Just wait for Fiber

It's interesting that these are the often cited reasons for killing features/customization, this despite (((mozilla))) having more developers & making more money than ever before.

It's fucking dead, time to move on.

There's Qupzilla. What's wrong with it?

fact: slow, laggy browser can not compete
fact: the legacy extension formats are not compatible with multithreaded model or it would take excessive amount of resources to make it work, and even then some things would most likely break

Yes, its sucks, but if you're so smart, propose a better solution.

How about Mozilla's Servo.

servo.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=_cLN5zhjeFc

Servo, the Browser that is been developed by Mozilla for years.

It's intended to become the successor of Firefox.

Clean & Modern.

Browser Engine written in Rust language.
UI written in HTML , CSS & JS)

Servo still bugged & lack features however.

You don't understand the details of how XUL extensions worked. It is impossible to have a more secure Firefox with the legacy XUL extension system by the nature of what it was capable of doing. It is a fact that any XUL extension is capable of messing up your OS to the extent that Firefox itself is capable of messing up your OS. The move to a more secure Firefox inherently means removing an extension's capability to access what Firefox is capable of accessing.

Servo is intended to be a testbed for the implementation of various ideas. Servo is the way that they can prove a certain idea will work before they implement it in the proper Firefox system.

For now, sure, but doesn't Rust belie that in the long term? Unless Mozilla intends to either set Rust aside or port Firefox from C++, while also rewriting Firefox to be buzzword-compliant (multithreaded, sandboxed, fault-tolerant, portable, etc.), which would be spectacularly inefficient and backward.

Rust was designed because of the experience they gained in developing Servo. There haven't been any plans for Mozilla to port Firefox to the Rust language. Perhaps this may change later but for the near future, the Firefox engines will remain as C++ code.

Topkek. I knew OP sounded like a huge faggot.

what the fuck am i readin

what a tripe of bullshit

The fact that you actually wrote this down proves that you are retarded, I will not read any further

WHY?

Same reason as the XML-based monstrosity dating from Netscape 6 that is XUL I miss OS GUI-native Gecko front ends like Galeon, K-Meleon, and Camino.

Someone help me here with the early days of browsers.
There's a stagnant, but worrying trend with browsers these days. They've grown stagnant from human resources and suits joining forces to make decadent and uninformed decisions about a browser's evolutionary role in the ecosystem of programs. As browser's began to grow in size, so did internet penetration to the general public. Google grew out of this boom, and have grown a stagnating benevolence on their products (users) and goal. The simple goal of a browser became obsolete when companies saw benefits to draw users to their product, and away from programs inaccessible to the internet. These companies are shaping how the internet is being used, by adding bloated and unused subtractions to formally power user friendly software.

Servo won't save us from the hell that is Blink Engine stagnation. It's only goal is to support Mozilla further, but with recent decisions it might not work.

Not just the web. Early browsers like Lynx and Mosaic also supported other common protocols like Gopher, NNTP (Usenet), and FTP. They kind of had to, because the web just wasn't dominant back then.
Mosaic was a very nice browser that worked fine on machines with little memory. Netscape was a memory hog even back in the Navigator days (version 3), and it used to crash randomly on pages with JS, so I almost always had JS turned off.
At some point there was an "Any Browser" campaign, but apparently that didn't work out, since almost nobody tests their shit with Lynx anymore.

The worrying trend is that users are entitled whingers who have no investment into the development of the software that they use. Firefox has always been free software. Free software means users are permitted to change the source code in any way.

True, it used to be that a variety of programs existed to work appropriately with the numerous protocols in use. HTTP has swallowed up pretty much everything except eMail (though access is largely done through webmail now, what with actual clients like Thunderbird being discontinued) and perhaps IRC (mostly among non-normalfags), with the only new protocols of any significance being Skype and SMS.

I have a vague hope that the "dedicated app" trend from mobile will shift over to desktop OSs, spurring sites to create their own APIs that will eventually be reverse-engineered and de-facto opened by 3rd-party devs.

welcome to *chan

not gonna happen, if you need a seperate program to use x, it's trash. Software installation is simple on mobile phones, kind of like package management on linux.

It's astounding that both Apple and Microsoft sabotaged their desktop package managers by attempting to use them as trojan horses for walled garden stores, imposing ludicrously severe technical limitations, obstructive bureaucratic red tape, license fees, and demanding a cut of all revenue. As a result, practically nothing uses either of them except mobile/tablet ports.

If they had just made them an open API, with their store and its straightjacket as one among many compliant options (including things like Steam), it would make dealing with 3rd-party software so much more convenient.

Because they're tired of not cucking themselves enough

For reference, remember the Internet Explorer antitrust trial was in 2001.