What has been your major contribution to society, Holla Forums-wise? A library, a protocol, an app, a bugfix, a patch...

What has been your major contribution to society, Holla Forums-wise? A library, a protocol, an app, a bugfix, a patch? Be vague if you have to.

Other urls found in this thread:

esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918
youtube.com/watch?v=CjZ33C9JZTM
spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/raw.ts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wrote some code for a major language's standard library that's probably been refactored out of existence since.

sometimes I rant on the internet why is shit

Contributing to devuan. (testing, bug report)
Contributed to icecat. (testing, bug report)
Contributed to Trisquel. (testing, bug report)
Contributed to remove Tranny/sjw in free software.
Please help by spreading this
esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918
Contributed to myself a lot

I just found out a few hours ago that some old project of mine is in AUR, and that some other packages use it as a dependency.
It's something I never even actually used myself, I've written it just out of boredom and because it seemed like a cool possibility, and then totally abandoned it (haven't even logged into that github account for years). To be frank I find it a bit disturbing that some people use it.

Shitposting on Holla Forums
I once helped some guy with a problem on omegle, guy was a cunt, and we got no where.

I gave money to shitty corporations like Nvidia, and use a pozzed OS contributing to the botnet, letting the bad guys get away with their miss deeds.

I don't know how I manage so much good.

I have a SO account with 6k rep does that count

I report bugs on different open-sourced software.
I develop simple scripts and applications that are also open-sourced for fun, but would probably never be used except by the people close to me.
I try to contribute to projects, as long as I know I can.

I don't just shitpost all day, user.

I promote privacy-focused software alternatives, with very little success.

Donated around $1000 to various privacy related open source projects last year

I gave EFF money a few times.

I do pretty much everything someone with an @gentoo.org email address is supposed to be doing and then some (writing patches, ebuilds, bugs, upstreaming fixes, doing QA, level 4 tech support on the forums, securing a place for the process supervision master race and a future for our children).
But I'll never do that bullshit entrance exam.

I correct typos in Github README files
Now please give me a job at your prestigious web dev company
-Abdul

I'm about 2/3 of the way to finishing a software stack for home security and automation and am planning on starting a business around it when I am done. The goal of the business will be driving down the cost of securing a house or small business with open source.

I'll probably fail.

Made some helpful suggestions to LXDE/Lubuntu desktop before. Tried to get a Thunar bug fixed. No idea if anything was done about them yet.

I made a detailed bug report on github and other people were able to fix the segfault

I come to Holla Forums and remind people that they're stupid faggots

Contributed to Krita and some other minor but well used things.

I've probably taken a dump in your house

youtube.com/watch?v=CjZ33C9JZTM

My username is in the credits. Felt good to get my work displayed on official SpaceX videos and have Elon Musk tweet out a thank you.

I'm not saying which one was me.

I contributed a few features and fixes to qutebrowser.

What the fuck is that, a video restoration? Why are you doing that for SpaceX, did that billionaire pay you anything?

I write software nobody seems to care about.
I contribute mostly patches. Some are bugfixes, some are to implement features lacking in libraries. Most of my contributions are to improve the quality of pro-audio in Linux.
My greatest contribution is probably to educate programming students against the evils of diabolical programming languages which plague the modern software world.

well that would explain it

Some shell scripts that I shared on Holla Forums and one meme IRC bot that is no longer active.

I teach normies how to use and fix their computer.

I use it. It's cool. It's still got your "essence" on it.

Doing god's work man. Audio is awful on linux and I want to see it grow.

Teaching people with literal autism to program.

the word is "misdeeds".

I worked on the OneLaptopPerNegro project.

That sounds like a noble endeavor user

I'm glad you taught yourself how to program.

I post Brian Fagioli from betanews and keep Holla Forums updated about technology.

I am developing an imageboard software in Django.

I wrote some code examples for C+=

Well I've spent my professional career building business and industrial software that takes away jobs from worthless slobs. That has to account for something.

I actively resist fixing typos in README files so I don't look like

The first time a rocket returned to earth from space and hovered over its surface. Weather was too bad for the air force to fly its telemetry down link plane so Elon Musk flew his private jet to collect telemetry. No antenna was available that was both directional and small enough to point out of the windows of the airplane so a pizza tray was cut out in the shape of the window and an antenna was built atop it. The collected data was badly corrupted and missing sections. The best experts in the world said that only perhaps a few key frames could be recovered.

We went through that data stream in hex editors character by character, we got the creator of ffmpeg to make a custom version to keep transcoding even when what normally would be irrecoverable errors where found. We hand fixed issues in sub blocks and other minute problems. For my 200 hours of work I got a deep understanding of mpeg2 and a neat Tee shirt.

spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/raw.ts

drafted this up for anons >>>/poltech/66
from what I hear it helped 10 anons switch to linux
one day when I'm not feeling so lazy I'll do one for devuan

Thanks, Reddit

Bug reports on some minor software (the bugs got fixed)

Got a pic of the shirt bud?

man something is up with my keyboard
meant to say that's really cool man

I have 15 times that :^)

Holy shit. Somebody competent on Holla Forums.

I went through a bunch of github repos yesterday and made sure there weren't any gendered pronouns in the code comments. I'm so proud of myself. :)

I made what other people called a "configuration" bot (had nothing to do with that lol), proved that windows was shit on a global scale, proved that md6 was a viable hash, and kept millions of IT employees employed from 2008-2010 (petered off a bit that last year).

It was fun while it lasted...

Kek, women rarely contribute to programming, much less niggers, much less feminists, much less feminist female niggers.

I don't really care about some shitty computer science bachelor of arts majors (or what ever they get now a days) are female. Its just funny to laugh at them when they are showing off how hacker they are with pictures of them sitting in Starbucks on their MacBooks with 4 lines of code on their screen or some shitty html shit. Personally I am a computer engineer major so they are not really even in the same job pool as me. If you just don't use GitHub youd probably be able to hide from them easily or any popular programming site.

some reason I forgot to type that I contributed to all the shitty retarted people I tutored so they can get a C in a class instead of a F

You must be the clown who constantly shills for SpaceX. Daily reminder that Elon Musk is a fraud and the entire SpaceX program consists of shitty, laughable CGI to scam investors and fool the public into believing that the Apollo moon hoax was real and not filmed in a studio. We never went to the moon. SpaceX is a scam. Elon Musk is a fraud.

A have an R package on CRAN that's the fastest at what it does and is pretty popular.

Good one. I almost believed you were really retarded for a second.

i once pwned a webcam site of some japanese dudes parrot. shit like that makes the world go round ya know

Ha. That's a good one.

How is programming in R? Is it a useful server language?

What did he mean by this?

I found security flaws in multiple free software applications and disclosed them privately.

R is a statistics language.

Does it really have to be something important to humanity? Because if not, I improved the AI in some game and 200 people used that improvement. I made some maps for some games. And I released 3 versions of games with a ton of mods and maps for them ready to play, no installs. This is really not much but it feels good to know that someone there appreciated what you did or had an use for it.

It's good for stats and das it.

Nothing. I've never coded anything that other people used.

Feels bad.

Such a narcissist you even use the royal self pronoun unironically?

Fuck no, unless you're using the Shiny framework to make an interactive data visualization webpage. R is for statistics and shit at general computation.

Nevermind. I was confusing D and R

I gave my grandma a T420 with Linux Mint installed on it.

I created the C programming language, but that faggot Dennis Ritchie gets all the credit.

Sometimes I report browser crashes

Grandmas love linux mint. I converted a grandma from Windows 8 to Mint Cinnamon 17 (eventually 18) because the forced upgrade to 10 was annoying her. She couldn't be happier. Had to put Chrome on there for netflix but she even follows my instructions to only use chrome for netflix.

Honestly happy and surprised after a decade or so of trying to get older folk to switch to various easy distros, you know those old fucks that constantly get viruses and malware. Finally a success story as of about a year ago.

And to make me even more happy, her fucktard grandchilden come over to ruin her PC with free2play browser malware games and just end up bitching instead because their specific malware wont work. Mission accomplished.

I fucking hate kids these days, I want to show them cool things on the computer but they only want garbage. I was so happy as a kid when I got my first 386 with DR DOS 5.0 and a 2.5 inch thick manual and had to deal with EMM386 errors to get Wing Commander whatever working. These fucking kids today are morons and only want a few different malware games. Fuck them up their asses

Great job Holla Forums make her grandchildren feel bored when they visit her so they never want to visit her and leave her alone because grandma's place is boring.

I write programs that segfault, so I stopped writing code at all and dedicate myself to the more math-y part of things and just that.

I discover, test and document old and outdated software that has been long abandoned. I then repackage and upload the said software for all to download and use.

I have a decent SO account, and I've contributed thousands of LoC to a popular automated software testing product. Most importantly, I've worked on commercial products which generated capital.

Great job Holla Forums make her grandchildren actually be social with their grandparents and save her from having to shell out $800 for a new PC

I contributed a manpage and some patches to sbase.

I got a nigger fired once.

I was right there with you, at twelve or whatever. I forget which game it was, but it took me hours and hours to get autoexec.bat and config.sys set properly such that I could play a particular game AND have sound. One or the other, no problem. Both? Still want a mouse driver? Sorry, not enough memory. It may very well have been one of the wing commander ones.

I remember being very excited about OS/2 Warp, because it was the first non DOS operating system I'd ever tried. Warp was pretty cool for its day.

It's a shame kids today cannot experience this. It was a golden era in computing and you had to learn stuff to do anything. So much more is available now, but that sense of newness, of discovery, is largely gone, or at least relegated to the scrap heap of history such that no one will experience it as we did during that time. I suspect the guys that were computing 20 years before I was probably feel exactly the same (and are probably just as correct.)