Secure-ish internet browsers that aren't TOR

So out of curiousity, what's everyone browsing on? I've recently installed Comodo Dragon, and it seems pretty alright at security.

Other urls found in this thread:

ghacks.net/2016/01/04/the-firefox-privacy-and-security-list-has-been-updated/
archive.is/ch26C
wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/9psetup)
torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

data mining thread

you have no idea how any of this works do you?

I'm not even comparing the two. I'm wondering about other browsers that are for clearnet. Hence "that AREN'T TOR". I'm not looking for onion/deepweb browsers, just ones that don't spy on me as much.

I use Firefox with security addons.
Also, I mostly browse off-line mirrors of websites instead of live, on-line, websites.

if a website isn't useable in elinks it's not worth visiting at all

Dillo

So you download whole websites so that you can browse them securely? How does that make any fucking sense?

OP it's not too hard to use about:config on FF to pare it's abilities down, and so to speak "harden" it.
Also, "Secure-ish" means absolutely nothing.
You can also install Tor, and "torify" your own browser without installing the TBB.

Firefox with
- uBlock origin
- self-destructing cookies
- decentraleyes
- refcontrol
- https everywhere

and this

ghacks.net/2016/01/04/the-firefox-privacy-and-security-list-has-been-updated/

Well tor isn't secure to begin with so I don't know why you even mentioned it, Mr. NSA

Chromium

I use Firefox with a shit ton of security addons. I've tried using tor for all my internet browsing, but i just couldn't fucking do it. It was so unbelievingly slow that i wanted to fucking blow my brains out every second i used it.

I understand privacy and security is extremely important, but there comes a point where i just don't enjoy using my computer anymore. I've done everything to increase my security and anonymity that is reasonably possible. Im not going to torture my self over it.

Just use Vivaldi. It's faster and more customizable, and has the same addons.

Processing power and storage are getting so cheap that it pays off to log and data-mine requests sent to server. It is done mostly by CDNs that serve data that a lot of websites use, like popular javascript files, or by large CDNs that serve data for a lot of websites. Then, after processing, this data is sold to ad networks and they combine it with other data they have about you to create "better" profile for targeting you with ads. So I download all kinds of web-pages to mess with their tracking, there is no way for them to tell which part of downloaded data I am reading and which I am removing right after download completes.
Another thing that worries me is things like cloudflare, they get a lot of information about who is browsing what. What is stopping them from collecting and selling this information?
Benefit of mirroring everything is that once I mirror website there is no need to exchange any data with web servers so they cannot gather any additional data from me and I own copies of data that I obtained so they cannot revoke my access to that data.

tl:dl;
I do it to prevent tracking being done on back-end.

I've recently installed Comodo Dragon

OK that makes sense.
You must have fast af internet.
Do you use curl, wget or just Save As? Care to share your command or script?

It makes sense. Do you update your mirrors or do you remirror the entire website each time?
Are you using wget or httrack?

That's actually maybe the best way to protect yourself. You just need storage and bandswitch though.

I have about 1 MB/s download speed. If media reports are true, more developed nations have a lot better transfer speeds.

I am currently using httrack.

It is first script that I that I have written, so it is low quality with a lot of code duplication. Here is "news aggregators" part of script. It downloads each of those in parallel because httrack was very slow and downloading sequentially took ages to complete. Other parts are similar, just changed download folder, link and httrack ignore rules.
I considered using wget but it does not have option like httracks "--replace-external".
Suggestions on how to improve this are welcome. I tried to create one "download website" function, something like I did with "downloadVideo" in my youtube download script ( ), that gets things needed as parameters but I did not find any good solution to pass those quoted strings for rules into such function.
#!/bin/bashfunction main(){ downloadReddit & downloadHN & downloadDataTau & wait}function downloadDataTau(){ #setup TEMP=$(mktemp -dt "XXXXX") DATE=$(date -I) FOLDER=$PWD"/"$DATE"/DataTau" LINK="datatau.com/" cd $TEMP httrack --cookies=0 --robots=0 -q -Q -r2 -%e1 --near --quiet --replace-external --disable-security-limits $LINK "-datatau.com/newcomments" "-datatau.com/leaders" "-datatau.com/submit" "-datatau.com/item?id=1" "datatau.com/rss" "-datatau.com/x?fnid=*" "-datatau.com/vote?*" "-datatau.com/news" -F "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.85 Safari/537.36" mkdir -p $FOLDER cp $TEMP/* $FOLDER/$1 -rf rm -r $TEMP cd $DIRECTORY}function downloadReddit(){ #setup TEMP=$(mktemp -dt "XXXXX") DATE=$(date -I) FOLDER=$PWD"/"$DATE"/Reddit" LINK="reddit.com/r/programming/" cd $TEMP httrack --cookies=0 --robots=0 -q -Q -r2 -%e1 --near --quiet --replace-external --disable-security-limits $LINK "-*reddit.com/*" "-*play.google.com/store/apps/details*" "-*itunes.apple.com/us/app/*" "+reddit.com/r/programming/comments/*" -F "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.85 Safari/537.36" mkdir -p $FOLDER cp $TEMP/* $FOLDER/$1 -rf rm -r $TEMP cd $DIRECTORY}function downloadHN(){ #setup TEMP=$(mktemp -dt "XXXXX") DATE=$(date -I) FOLDER=$PWD"/"$DATE"/HN" LINK="news.ycombinator.com/" cd $TEMP # -r2 - Mirror to depth 2 on news.ycombinator.com, this saves comment pages # -%e1 - Mirror 1 level offsite, this saves articles # --near - Saves stylesheets, JS, and images that pages depend on # --quiet - when there is nothing to say, say nothing # --replace-external - replaces unmirrored links with error page # links that start with - - Do not mirror these files httrack --cookies=0 --robots=0 -q -Q -r2 -%e1 --near --quiet --replace-external --disable-security-limits $LINK "-*news.ycombinator.com/*" "-*ycombinator.com/bookmarklet.html" "-*ycombinator.com/newsguidelines.html" "-*ycombinator.com/newsfaq.html" "-*news.ycombinator.com/dmca.html" "-*ycombinator.com/newsnews.html" "-*news.ycombinator.com/item?id=363" "-ycombinator.com/" "-*ycombinator.com/apply.html" "-*ycombinator.com/lib.html" "+*news.ycombinator.com/item?id=*" -F "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.85 Safari/537.36" mkdir -p $FOLDER cp $TEMP/* $FOLDER/$1 -rf rm -r $TEMP cd $DIRECTORY}DIRECTORY=$PWDmain

I mostly download from websites that change all the time, like HN, Reddit or news websites, so I just re-download everything.

Storage is not really that much of a problem, I download articles from HN, Reddit and few news websites in my first language every day and it takes somewhere between 300 to 400 MB to store it. That is 200+ different links that I get and download from places like HN and Reddit. And most of that data is not worth keeping so I can just delete it after I finish reading. Biggest bottleneck in whole process is time that it takes for HTTrack to find links to download.

Prove it, shill.

If mktemp fails $TEMP will expand to nothing. cd will be called without any arguments, so it will cd to your home directory. cp will try to copy /*. Check return values and quote variables.

By convention environmental variables are in all capitals and you should use lowercase for the variables in your script.

What about something likea=$1b=$2shift 2httrack ... "$@" ...

Vivaldi is a fork of Chromium, which is based on Chrome

Check out this post m8: archive.is/ch26C

Anything but Firefox. Firefox is years behind on sandboxing and exploit mitigations.

I prefer retarded sandboxing than a constant botnet monitoring my behaviour.

If I want to be as botnet-free as possible, what do I choose? Is midori OK?

I just want firefox without the boated ram consumption and general poz dammit

tisk tisk my nig.

you want secure use a text browser which doesn't support extensions like java.

Firefox is still a reasonable choice considering Chrome is garbage and most of the alternatives lack usually significantly in either use or function.

GNU IceCat

Thank you for pointing out what is wrong with my script. I tried to fix those flaws in v2.

That was exactly what I needed to implement download function. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

Here is script v2 if anyone is interested:
#!/bin/bashset -u #Treat unset variables and parameters as an error.set -e #Exit immediately on a non-zero status.function main(){ downloadReddit & downloadDataTau & downloadHN & wait}function downloadWebsite(){ directory="$PWD" temp=$(mktemp -dt "XXXXX") date=$(date -I) folder="$PWD/$date/$1" link="$2" shift 2 cd "$temp" httrack --cookies=0 --robots=0 -q -Q -r2 -%e1 --near --quiet --replace-external --disable-security-limits "$link" "$@" -F "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.85 Safari/537.36" mkdir -p "$folder" cp "$temp"/* "$folder" -rf rm -r "$temp" cd "$directory"}function downloadDataTau(){ downloadWebsite "DataTau" "datatau.com/" "-datatau.com/newcomments" "-datatau.com/leaders" "-datatau.com/submit" "-datatau.com/item?id=1" "datatau.com/rss" "-datatau.com/x?fnid=*" "-datatau.com/vote?*" "-datatau.com/news" "-datatau.com/user?*"}function downloadReddit(){ downloadWebsite "Reddit" "reddit.com/r/programming/" "-*reddit.com/*" "-*play.google.com/store/apps/details*" "-*itunes.apple.com/us/app/*" "+reddit.com/r/programming/comments/*"}function downloadHN(){ downloadWebsite "HN" "news.ycombinator.com/" "-*news.ycombinator.com/*" "-*ycombinator.com/bookmarklet.html" "-*ycombinator.com/newsguidelines.html" "-*ycombinator.com/newsfaq.html" "-*news.ycombinator.com/dmca.html" "-*ycombinator.com/newsnews.html" "-*news.ycombinator.com/item?id=363" "-ycombinator.com/" "-*ycombinator.com/apply.html" "-*ycombinator.com/lib.html" "+*news.ycombinator.com/item?id=*"}main

I have been using furryfox for years with neckbeard privacy settings
then I switched to palemoon

good thing was that it was faster
bad thing was that addons are not compatible

Thanks a lot. I never found about this, and that's maybe on of the greatest idea. You can use an isolate browser (from the internet), and just browse what you have downloaded. You are totaly protected, you don't even care about what browser you're using (if ofc your isolation cut your browser entirely from the internet).
You're nearly doing as RMS, who download the page he wants to access through email request.

Do you have a good method to isolate a browser entirely from the internet? There are some I can think about, like VM, but I need a facility to make the browser access the file out of the jail... Is firejail of any use here? I don't even know if I can configure the firewall to block an entire application...

what a retard.

I use firecucks.

The american savages never should have been allowed anywhere near Japan.
Filthy stinking greed filled fat stupid monsters.

You can put the sites in a directory and allow access to it.

I am currently using firejail to disable networking, "--net=none" option, and white-listing folder where downloaded websites are.

Method of sharing files between guest and host systems is dependant on VM that you are using. VirtualBox, only VM that I used, has built in file sharing option that "just werks". And it seems like QEMU requires Plan 9 thing (wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/9psetup) for sharing files.

It seems good, but I do not know how hard it is to escape from firejail.

you should set firefox's apparmor profile to enforcing

this is fucking freeware im not even going to test it

comodo used to be good

it hasnt been for a year or two. please stop shilling it and fix your software OP.

Tor Browser and Tor itself is not mainly about hidden onion services, you know. That's only a side-project. Most users actually never ever visit any hidden services at all.

You mean exactly like Mozilla Weave and Firefox Safe Browsing?
It's not our problem if you literally have so little self-control you compulsively give the browser your login credentials to sync with.

Except it's garbage.

It's owned by a chinese company..

I use Cốc Cốc

Why wouldn't you use Tor?

But if you still want, then use Tor Browser without Tor/Torbutton.

What are you talking about idiot? Check your internet connection and ISP.
Tor easily gets several Mbits or more. You can stream fucking HD videos with Tor without problems. Only latency is much bigger than non-Tor, but it's not a problem for web browsing, IRC's, chats, or even slower online games.

you should have been around in 2007. TOR was fucking unbearable. You had to install validia and privoxy. Then you had to get an addon for your furryfox browser (tor button). Whenever you wanted to use tor, you had to start up validia and enable the tor button. The speed was godawful back then but I remember very well how proud I was when I got it to work the first time.

That's Opera, you massive fucking retard. It's not like Shitvaldi is any better.

I don't know why people (including various articles) still warn that Tor is slow, and that it only makes sense to use it occasionally. Yes, Tor is still slower, but it's now perfectly usable for everyday browsing, including watching videos. Unless you're logging into your bank account there's no reason not to use it.

pass

Firefox
• Ublock origin
• Decentraleyes
• HTTPS everywhere
• VPN service

Good enough. All I do is download torrents. I'm not some super-secret Russian hacker or anything.

Got a related question

I need to create a facebook account to partipate in local tournaments for this game I like.

What's a good barebones browser that,s privacy orientated to use so I can isolate my facebook usage to one browser to minimize tracking and shit? I already use firefox with ublock origin, noscript, and self destructing cookies for my general browsing, but don't want to even mix using facebook into that. Is there a browser with the same level of privacy as firefox with those installed?

Or is my best bet just doing a seperate install of firefox with those on a different hard drive or whatever?

This is one place where the Tor browser bundle is actually useful. Tor hides your location from Facebook and secures your connection to their server while also bypassing any work or school firewall. And there's (almost) no chance of exploits on Facebook because they control their own ad network.

Alright, well would you be willing to spoonfeed me resources on using tor then?

I used to use Tor for this myself until I got excommunicated from a certain group. Tried to make another account but Shitbook actually demands a phone number when you try to make an account now. You're going to have to buy a burner just to use it anonymously.

torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en
Those instructions seem pretty simple. Just run it and then go to this address
facebookcorewwwi.onion

dillo

You could use a different firefox profile.firefox --ProfileManager