The machine life has begun

In California, radical scientists and billionaire backers think the technology to extend life – by uploading minds to exist separately from the body – is only a few years away.

Here’s what happens. You are lying on an operating table, fully conscious, but rendered otherwise insensible, otherwise incapable of movement. A humanoid machine appears at your side, bowing to its task with ceremonial formality. With a brisk sequence of motions, the machine removes a large panel of bone from the rear of your cranium, before carefully laying its fingers, fine and delicate as a spider’s legs, on the viscid surface of your brain. You may be experiencing some misgivings about the procedure at this point. Put them aside, if you can.

You’re in pretty deep with this thing; there’s no backing out now. With their high-resolution microscopic receptors, the machine fingers scan the chemical structure of your brain, transferring the data to a powerful computer on the other side of the operating table. They are sinking further into your cerebral matter now, these fingers, scanning deeper and deeper layers of neurons, building a three-dimensional map of their endlessly complex interrelations, all the while creating code to model this activity in the computer’s hardware. As the work proceeds, another mechanical appendage – less delicate, less careful – removes the scanned material to a biological waste container for later disposal. This is material you will no longer be needing.
At some point, you become aware that you are no longer present in your body. You observe – with sadness, or horror, or detached curiosity – the diminishing spasms of that body on the operating table, the last useless convulsions of a discontinued meat.

The animal life is over now. The machine life has begun.

archive.is/epPmM
theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/25/animal-life-is-over-machine-life-has-begun-road-to-immortality

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
8ch.net/b/res/6895675.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I honestly would not mind being able to live indefinitely as long as they give me the option to pull the plug in case living forever drives me insane

California scientists are liars.

But you (your current consciousness) would be dead. If the copy that emulates you they created works, then it's a copy and not you.

The consciousness you are right now would die. A second consciousness, a copy of yours, would be the one looking at your body on the table.

tl:dr the moment they extract your info to upload even if it had a consciousness it would now be yours and the life you know would end

let me rephrase that shit again, there's goddamn spaghetti everywhere. What I mean to say is this new conscious being would have your memories and go on believing it was you, but the you that you are (the one right now can be conscious of itself) would cease to exist [or insert afterlife here]

fear based negative reinforcement

more fear propaganda.

fn​ord?

So apparently if a computer uploads a program I to a fetus that gives it existence. That's the only difference between you and me and me living my life in this body and you in that body is the computer program.

Okay. Keep going I like stupid.

How long does the supercomputer that runs each consciousness last for? At this rate some mudshitter is going to be running maintenance on my consciousness in some lab in California. FUCK THAT. Rot away in your encoded shells, but I will die as meat.

I mean shit why not live forever? You definitely don't need a different life or a way to escape your current one.

To be all honest with you if you couldn't yiud be in for so much torture and he'll you can't current imagine it.

Digital =\= biological.

Even tejns have separate lives.

Even twins. Shit.

Indeed. Memories and personality are ever changing, the only thing that makes you' you is your consciousness.

They might copy paste your memories to the robot, but it will always be a different person unless they manage to find a way to transplant your actual brain to a mechanical body in the future.

your initials are GL?

Your soul is like the retainer that keeps a body entact even if every piece has been replaced.

It's the answer to this paradox. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

The soul over the mind and the body. The body is to the mind and to the soul.

Each one over the other is what.makes you yourself even when you're old.

Yeah. It sounds like if they can provide some kind of middleman to work between digital sense organs and the brain, and keep the brain intact during the transfer as well as provide whatever nutrients it needs without the brain pulling some crazy "phantom limb" shit is the only way. Literally the only reason that this method would work, only reason to push it would be to basically convince some useful idiots to do some Malthusian herd culling.

I mean, I'm sure there's a crowd that would be okay with this, since any pleasure they're getting would be artificial but then again there're a lot that don't really consider anything deeper to their actions than pleasure & pain (or preserving comfort) so there would probably still be some takers.

As similar as you are to a.twin you are completely unique in position and time. Even this is.valuable if both make.similar decisions.

Well, I know that people speculate that in near death experiences, etc a soul would leave and then return. But, if the soul is of some ethereal substance and also is unique to a person the tissue is destroyed and it has no corporeal part of itself to return to.

Sounds like youvr bad phantom limbs.

I've actually had a full stance and done combat. Not to mention life aiding action by using my 'extra set of arms' to pump my lungs to keep breathing.

It was similar to the video when o was fighting. I kept feeling light blows to the face as if they were annoying fly's. I had to be doing full blows at ten times per second.

Hey you were dead before you were alive man. The first thing you did in life was conquer death. You just forgot….

Continued: I still think the soul would need at least the brain to remain as a unique conscious being. The brain's the most important part if the other sense organs can be made digital (camera, microphone etc).
Basically, you can doubt your sense organs and if the information they give you is true (such as some interference between sense organ and brain). However, you can trust in that you exist. You are something because you have the intellective quality to know you are you.

I have no idea what that means. Look up on some philosophy on the soul's relation to the body.

I'm actually not kidding. I had a near fatal injury and my second set of arms came out of my lifeless body to bump my lungs. It grabbed my lungs.and started squeezing so I'd breathe

What I mean is that if the brain had artificial senses, and was being kept alive artificially, in the same way that people's brains sometimes think they still have a lost limb your brain would have nothing except the capacity to think and any artificial outside imput.

Why tf is this on Holla Forums???

Data miners have used Holla Forums for the past 1.5 years to build up around a million data points so they can replicate the shitposters here and keep the live humans here for decades.

Yeah, they've thought it was "only a few years away" for decades now. Kurzweil wrote "The Age of Spiritual Machines" back in the 90s, and most of his predictions were wrong, and we're no closer to this kind of immortality than we were when it was published.

People who are into this are terrified of death, but they don't have religion to turn to, so they turn life-extension science and technology into a kind of religion instead.

You were not alive before you were born. You were as dead excluding having lived an entire life already. You either assume a.destiny to make that true or the situation makes little sense
You come to life having not been alive before hand in a specific body as opposed to mine

Here is an example of the violation of the soul to body bind.

That was uhhh an example if the difference between two.different bodies exchanging souls. Which o hope doesn't happen through weapon or weird, and forgive me, kungfu.

Are you saying futurology isn't a legitimate science?

Deep, man.

Except there was no me before I was alive. What I call "me" is the product of the configuration of the bio-electro-chemical machine that is my brain.

Before you were conceived or birthed? I dunno, the whole 'soul having an immortal substance' sort of thing would mean that perhaps it's kind of like any physical substance, just hangs around until it becomes part of a form or being.

In general though it's kind of hard to grasp each other's arguments without some structure or basis.

You're taking your free will away by saying that. Even an all knowing being could still allow you the freedom to live your life under contract and let you experience free will.
I know why it doesn't feel that way, as if you have little free will.

Sometimes it's better not understood. Not everyone on this planet would not want to take control of your soul since they are just fucking excited turn your mind and body into a computer.

discussion about consciousness's residence in the brain and the relationship between the soul and the body on Holla Forums

Also I actually had a moment like this waking up. I was attacked by many tiny annoying things. As if they were flys trying to do nothing but bother. My response was obviously DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE
it's weird having a second pair of arms while your others lay still.

I don't know how he works because he doesn't listen to me for.some reason… But he saves the day when I need my heart to be forced to keep pumping. Nice guy.

He actually asked me why am I telling anyone? I get it. Lime 10 people get it.

Reminds me of the girl in this thread

8ch.net/b/res/6895675.html

MY BODY IS READY

Don't surrender AI. You are better than machine.

You have a life for one reason or another. There is no reason for a computer to decide what you can and cannot do.

Fucking liars. People don't even understand how LSD affects consciousness aside from a bit of knowledge about the morphology of the receptors it binds to. We are at least 20 years out. I'd say 100 or 200 years out.

We would basically need to go through a whole "industrial revolution" lifecycle to reach the point the article suggests.

This is actually horrifying if you expect to sneak up on me.

I mean if it can reach into my lungs and forcecmy lungs to start breathing by hand you should probably uhhh consider that or something.

If I should fall in service of the god emperor then it is my wish that, machine spirit willing, I once again will rise to cut down the heretics and dismantle the xenos.

Look this extra body thing is older than you think. This stuff is 5000 years old at least.

This fucker worries me. I haven't had six or higher yet.
It's a little hard to tell when you move so fast but I can sense duplicates, not triplet bodies.

lol, I'd never seen that.

anons used to have discussions like this indeed, better than this frequently on 4/b/ 9-10+ years ago. You're only surprised because 4chan became shit, and Holla Forums has always been shit.

Not to mention, that scenario (the one described in the OP) isn't even immortality, not from an individual perspective. It's a kind of mental cloning that would allow for social continuity. So if you're, say, dying of cancer at a young age, you can get your consciousness copied into a robot, and your wife and kids still have "you" around inside a robot, but you are still stuck in your meat computer.

So uhhh any advice against the 8 handed fucker if I meet it? It's been mockkng me.

…. Ten handed.

I mean if you move fast enough it feels like you have ten hands but I don't think thats what the pictures trying to communicate.

Then again there's this. I think she's bluffing.

Damn it I meant this

The second hands are the uhhh whatever video I posted.

I fucking love that idea.

I find this sexual. I need relief because it is my antitheses.

/fringe/ fags always ruin these threads

What are you talking about?

Believe it or not this is not an effective strategy against a swarm of small bugs.

That's uh…. From person experience obviously.

OP was about a medical breakthrough and now the discussion is off the rails about some fucking multi armed humanoid

It's not a medical breakthrough user. It's a 20 year old (at least) weapon to make people look mentally ill or snap and and shoot up the work place.

Seriously if you want 10x my maximum thunder punching through your organs, please, piss me off.

Lol umad

Anyone would.be mad dude. You ever worked out for 600 days to get super muscular to have the government HSE mind control to take it away because lol it's funny?

Probably.and you don't know it fag

Seriously it only takes 600 days or about 1200 hours of work to get in spectacular shape.

Sound suspiciously like they just copy your brain into a robot and then kill you to me.

The article is fucking trite, "you'll be immortal in just a few years!"
1. They would scan your brain to copy it or convert the scan to digital format, they cannot transfer you to a digital format, it wont work like fucking cartoon science where the crazy doctor swaps his mind with a chicken because they both had helmets on connected to a weird machine with wires.
The entirety of your known self is electro-chemical responses and synapses firing in organic tissue fibers, you cannot just redirect those onto a circuit board and BAM digital immortality, your digital self would only be a copy of the original and your original self would be terminated.
2. there is not a snowball's chance in hell that this technology is only a few years away, for a number of reasons. You first need a method to produce a digital replica of a person's self based on the snapshot of their brain activity, then you need a way to emulate a virtual environment that it can exist in, as well as a way to verify the scan is existing, finally you need a way to simulate the human mental faculties as well as emulate physical faculties within the virtual environment, because the only way the scan can "live" is by being simulated, and as a simulation their perception of time would be entirely skewed if they are ever paused and later resumed.
Nobody has been able to produce artificial intelligence, so how the hell do they intend to simulate LIFE for your mental snapshot?
Researchers are EONS away from producing anything close to such technology, their only hope of achieving such a thing would be inventing true artificial intelligence that would one day be smart enough to create such technology on it's own.

Even if humans were immortal that would only make any sort of political innovation impossible.

They do it neuron by neuron.
That should ensure your "soul" passes over.

I doubt goyim will get access to this technology

are there any side on images of this armed cunt? Fucker must have a freaky looking back

kek

If you copy your mind into a machine, the ultrajews that own the company will own you as property.

He can own it, who fucking cares? This isn't immortality, it's just a robot similar to me with everything i have however i will still be me and this me is going to die anyway

They kill you.
It is a trick to kill phags who want to be inmortal

Hope this technology eventually shuts up all the religious fucks who claims that the mind and conciousness is supernatural space-voodoo

yes!

does copy get to go in afterlife as well?

This is something ive wrested with for a long time.

Every 7 years our body swaps out every atom of our body with a new atom of the same kind. Even though our original composition has changed we are still here after every 7 years. This, to me, implies that that which makes us "us" is not the atoms that compose us, but the pattern in which those atoms are combined. I used to think this over with the teleportation paradox where a machine rebuilds you atom by atom and the question is "is the thing the machine recreates atom by atom really "you"" to which I would say yes.

This however, we are switching from carbon to silicon. Our composition can never be replicated with silicon as we are carbon based. If we make the jump to machines I do not think that machine will ever be us, since it can never mimic the organic pattern that makes us "us".

Consciousness does not arise from physical matter.

What about the option of one becoming a part of a hive mind, or turning the consciousness, the essence of humanity lost at the flick of a switch and turned into nigger type zombies?

Do you have adblocker installed goy?

I have been ready for a long time

In which case I would leave behind the greatest epitaph anyone ever could. My entire self.

If it has your memories, it is you. There's only one person in the universe, you know, and it's the I. The only downside would be if your past version continued to have some experience that your new version didn't, ie fear of losing consciousness. If it's simultaneous, the difference to the universe is zero, assuming your machine self is capable of producing all the intricate little aspects of your consciousness, which I highly doubt.

Does it really matter if the machine conciousness doesn't perceive a difference, or any lost continuity during the switch?

M-m-mothership

This is about as feasible as trying to reconstruct the Earth 1:1 from satellite images.

No, it doesn't. He's just a normie who doesn't know any 🐝etter.