Web Hosting Thread

Discuss web hosting. Post cheap / free web hosting resources.

Shared Hosting - Ask your host whether they support Let's Encrypt or rape you for SSL certs!
afreecloud.com/ - Free hosting run by a previous administrator of FreeWebHostingTalk.com. Check AUP before registering.
000webhost.com/ - Free hosting. Don't know much about it.
buyshared.net - Starts at $5 a year.
nearlyfreespeech.net/ - Way too expensive to park a domain on. Having a mysql database costs $0.06 / day by itself.

Anyone has recommendation for shared hosting for ASP.NET shit?

VPS
freevps.us/announcement-13.html - A list of freeVPS. They're probably shit.
education.github.com/pack - Provide EDU e-mail, get $50 in digitalocean credit. Signing up with a referral link first might increase amount of credits. Not sure.
buyvm.net/ - Starts at $15 a year.
lowendbox.com/
ramnode.com/ - Starts at $15 a year.
box.cock.li/ - $10 / month. Why is it so expensive?
ovh.com/ca/en/ - starts at $4.49 a month

Domains
freenom.com - Free .tk .ml .ga .cf .gq domains. Why isn't their website HTTPS?
registry.cu.cc/ - Again, why isn't their website HTTPS?
internetbs.net/ - Competitive pricing. Bills you in your own currency. Accepts bitcoin. Free whois masking.
namecheap.com - I don't get why people like this company. Cheap for first year and then rapes you afterwards.

Dynamic DNS - Host you own shit on your DSL connection!
noip.com/ - supports redirect, which is nice if you need it. But free account requires sign-in every 30 days.
duckdns.org
desec.io - Also has free DNS hosting. Supports DNSSEC, whatever that is.

Other urls found in this thread:

ipfs.io/ipfs/QmdPtC3T7Kcu9iJg6hYzLBWR5XCDcYMY7HV685E3kH3EcS/2015/09/15/hosting-a-website-on-ipfs/
opennicproject.org/
localhost:80/
github.com/tinybike/nginx-config/blob/master/ipfs.nginx.conf
atnnn.com/p/ipfs-hosting/
$my_ipaddress:8080/ipns/$SITE_HASH
archive.is/jzI4s
archive.is/qkcgv
archive.is/lVE9f
web.archive.org/web/20161018143724/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_P2P#List_of_anonymous_P2P_networks_and_clients
000webhost.com/
registry.cu.cc/
1984hosting.com/product/hosting/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah, don't

Because it caters to retards on chans

I host my own website at home

brb planting some CP on your website

Found a cheap windows host... www.hostmantis.com which kind of seem too good to be true.

The starter plan is only $7.15 a year after applying one of their perpetual 70% off codes.

Other hosts want $11 a month and they limit you to 3-4 mssql databases.

Reviews seem alright on WHT though.

lol

what an amazing collection of awful shitty web hosting stuff

I'll add another shit one to the list:
cloudatcost.com

Cheap, one-time fees. Service is utter-shit and expect your server to go down fairly regularly (once a monthish) and don't expect a prompt response if restarting it doesn't work.

All said, for the price, can be useful if you need a proxy.

I just wanted a free homepage (not domain) and only ones I really looked into are neocities.org and geocities.ws. The first one's nice and ad-free, but you can't host binaries (other than pictures) and there's no FTP account, although you can sorta emulate it with their API and a custom client. The second one has real FTP account, and I didn't see any restrictions on file types, but not sure if they have mandatory ads.
Anyway I was just looking for a place to dump my code and related stuff, after I closed my sjwhub account. Never much cared for Git anyway, so don't plan to move to other similar service.

What's the best place to host a static site?

Man, I'm surprised 000webhost is still around... I remember using it many years ago to host my first HTML page back when I was starting to learn webdev.

Use a low-power-consumption computer at home with Nginx + SSH on any GNU/Linux or BSD distro.

Run a Tor hidden service and generate an onion address or get a domain name through Gandi.net for $15/year, and configure the DNS settings to point your domain name to your home IP address.

If you get a domain name, generate a Let's Encrypt HTTPS certificate for it and additional certificates for subdomains.

shit thread

i recommend namesilo.com over namecheap.com for domains. better pricing and you get free whoisguard for life. i thought namecheap did the same but you read it and it turns out it's only for the first year - then 3 dollars a year per domain. if you have a lot of domains it adds up.

i would consider namecheap shared hosting though. $10 / year 1st year and you can focus on upping your html / css skills.

after that i'd move to ovh or digitalocean or webfaction.

I'm actually thinking of buying that for VPN instead of paying pia every year.

Are there stuff they'd shut your server down for? Running tor exit nodes? Mining coins?

Anywhere.
ipfs.io/ipfs/QmdPtC3T7Kcu9iJg6hYzLBWR5XCDcYMY7HV685E3kH3EcS/2015/09/15/hosting-a-website-on-ipfs/

Joyent - SmartOS and Linux containers for $2.50/m, these were my go to guys before Samsung bought them out, they haven't done anything bad yet but I am not hedging my bets on them staying not shit.

Vultr - offers all the things digital ocean offers but has third party OS support, I run an OpenBSD vm from there for $5/m

NearlyFreeSpeech - pretty good, you can run a simple site for a couple of bucks a year, I've used them for years.

SDF! They are often overlooked but they are great! One of the few remaining public access UNIX models.

Namecheap over provision their hosts, I constantly get 500 errors when using their servers.

lowendbox.com is used to pump up VPS companies who then sell to larger companies. I know this because I've used two highly recommended VPS companies (both OpenVZ and KVM) and both ended up going to shit and getting sold at the same time.

Basically these companies start up, go to leb, get some good reviews, you join, speeds are all around fantastic and good support too (because it's a small company and they are trying to keep everybody happy before the dump). Then your node gets overloaded and I/O goes to shit, they give you the runaround, and next thing you know you get an email it was sold to some germans or some turks in a much larger company. Then they rinse and repeat.

I'd recommend one of the better known companies over random highly rated small company on leb

Kek, nice mix. I wonder if the SSD controller itself is faster than the CPU. You must have been lucky to avoid bad caps on the motherboards of that era.

Why is web-hosting such a pain in the ass? What would be the proper way to host a website with all the necessary precautions and security?

LUnix on a Commodore 64, with a serial (null modem) cable to your router.
Nobody will figure out how to hack you.

Is there a way at all to run this on tape? I only have a tape drive for my C64 and I can write programs easy but most decent programs are disc only

I know I can rip he .prg file from the floppy image and write that to a cassette but it might need more files

I found an old program that supposedly converts .d64 files into full .prg streams. Hopefully the C64 will be able to run the KERNAL bootstrap from memory. I need to download a Windows XP virtual machine first to run it

all these vps suck
use alpharacks, goto specials tab and get a $1 month vps with ur choice of distro
then get free domain thru freenom
and get free https cert from lets encrypt

They store passwords in plaintext and their database was leaked a while back. What kind of retard would use them?

I've had the opposite experience - still sold off to a much bigger company (Hostwinds) but service went up (way up, no monthly day-long outages like had been for the previous year) at no increase in cost (yet, im pretty sure its going up next annum)

downside is they moved from UK location (one of the main reasons I got the vps in the first place) to fucking seattle - although in some cases my latency would be about the same (network was atrocious for months before buyout)

i don't recommend them or any shared hosting for a site that actually matters. if you're trying to learn aka student then it's sufficient, cheap, and gets you in the door. that's why i recommend it.

hey i want to make a free blog what is the best site for that

ipfs add -r ~/mywebsite/*

does anybody have some pointers for migrating wordpress to static html?

I have been writing a private blog daily for over three years now and have been putting off migrating for a while due to lack of good ideas on how it should be done. I want to scale down to a 64mb vps running only nginx, much easier without php/mysql)

right now the best (p much only) option seems to be to dump the db to file and setup a new non-public facing wordpress site with it in a vm, then use wget to mirror the site and finally some regex magic to turn the mirrored pages into markdown

im bad a regex and dont really want to set up a whole llmp stack plus wordpress again.

I need to keep post title, content and date/time and it is absolutely paramount that nobody is able to view the blog except me at any time.

Domain: Freenom for free top-level domain.
VPS: Digitalocean (5$/mo) or INIZ (cheaper)
SSL certificate: Let's encrypt

It's getting bretty cheap to host private servers with mail.

do you have any readers? if it's just for you, why not gpg encrypted local file?

Why use a website hosted by someone else that can shut down your website for whatever reason when you could self host and get full control over it?

Shit's expensive as fuck.

What the fuck can I do with a "lowendbox" or whatever small resource linux box that I can't do at home? Why would I pay for any of these?

The ones were I would actually host a website on are all expensive as fuck. The low end ones have no use that an old PC at home couldn't do.

My thoughts exactly. Fuck me and the crappy ADSL that's the best available where I live. I barely get 2Mbit upload. Currently using digitalocean because of this.

Sorry mate. At least they seem to have some decent tutorials.

How expensive can self hosting honestly be? It's not like you're going to get google levels of activity.

People who don't care and are just running a site fer shits n giggles

Since the DNS/IP is going away thanks to UN,banks,and governments[1][2][3], I recommend and urge everyone NOT to register any domains than with peers like opennicproject.org/

I will also urge you to use nonTCP/IP dependent P2P[4] when addressing your regular internet usage. Self-host as a necessity.

localhost:80/

Agreed.

I like you.

attaboy

Unless you have local access.
-Stratfor spy

Virtualization on hardware sucks, it protects nothing
-FreeBSD Jail user

Sample: github.com/tinybike/nginx-config/blob/master/ipfs.nginx.conf
another: atnnn.com/p/ipfs-hosting/
$my_ipaddress:8080/ipns/$SITE_HASH

q="wordpress export|output|backup"

Co-location. Even I host servers with someone in another city.

[1]archive.is/jzI4s
[2]archive.is/qkcgv
[3]archive.is/lVE9f
[4]web.archive.org/web/20161018143724/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_P2P#List_of_anonymous_P2P_networks_and_clients

unless you're hosting unbloated 90s website you need proper servers and cooling ( plugging a server rack into an ordinary house outlet not good idea ).

neocities

How reliable is domain protection from making your information public via whois etc.? By "public" I don't mean NSA and government agencies since I don't expect that anyway.

If it depends on host solely, any experiences?

I haven't heard of a registrar's database getting hacked/dumped in a while but it' s happened several times before. So I don't know, call it 97% safe.

000webhost had a data breach last year and have not told anyone about it. Don't know what was accessed but I do know st least emails were taken.

Last year=last month

Is hosting a website at home a good idea or bad idea?

How can I protect my shit at home?

that took long.

u wot?

It's not a terrible idea for a low traffic site. Run it on a separate physical server and firewall it off from the rest of your network. OpenBSD might be a good choice unless you're familiar with hardening Linux.

What's a good place to buy .com or .net domains?

Don't know, what does the very first post of this thread you posted in tell you?

I got my free hosts from the OP and I'm grateful. Just asking if there are any cheaper alternatives since I'm new to it.

Well, I don't exactly need webhosting, but anyone able to point me to a decent place for hosting a multiplayer fps game server? Mostly US/EU players so something around there with affordable hosting would help. Server is super light on resources required to run well so. Any help?

Literally any VPS you autist

Sometimes you can get a deal for your first year of domain registration but then you have to jump through hoops to transfer out or face assrape.

Internetbs and namesilo are most often recommended.

Some static website generators support import from wordpress.

Or at least Pelican does.

What hosting would you guy srecommend to someone who literally bought a domain last night and knows very litteral about web shit.

i know a little bit of linux and can make my way around the terminal but don't have jack shit knowledge about much else.

I discovered prometheus.net trough lowendbox and they have been in business since 1997. Extremely reliable host on a budget.

whats the cheapest but reliable way to host a gallery website? I just want to host tutorials and galleries use wordpress but I'm on NEETbux and can't afford a lot.

I looked in to them, their hosts are so grossly over provisioned that you'll normally suffer something like 8% packet loss when they are up. They will also kill accounts for no reason, and im sure they'll do it for DMCA requests.

cloudatacost.com

Thoughts on using Namecheap for hosting?

Looking to host a gallery and link to video tutorials hosted else where.

Just use buyshared.

Are there *any* domain registrars that don't take your shit down for DMCA?

I'm worried about getting a huge bill if something goes viral.

Who paid you to put up this thread?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned hashbang.sh.
It's a shared server everybody can access and create his own account on. As long as you don't hog a lot of resources everything's game. You'll have to build nginx/apache and php yourself, and find yourself an open port on the server you've created an account on, but having full shell access on this debian server gives a lot of freedom on what you want to achieve.

Does it have server side includes? I want some way of making a menu bar without any JS bullshit.

I recently switched from digitalOcean 10$ tier to aruba 1 euro.

Performance wise Aruba is actually a little bit faster. Their web interface is dogshit and they charge if you want to use their DNS (lol), but as I use Namecheap for my domains that is not a problem for me.

Also they only have servers on Europe.

>000webhost.com/
jesus christ

Where the fuck is Gandi? Shits cash.

>registry.cu.cc/

heh

Thinking of ditching internetbs for namesilo. Bs prices are higher and doesn't seem to accept bitcoins anymore.

In what way? I remember looking into them a couple years ago and their pricing didn't seem competitive.

I like namecheap. They're more expensive after the first year but imo the price is worth it if you're a lonely user with only a couple domains. The site interface is clean, support is good and responsive, and service is good - no problems in my experience. IMO that's worth the extra expense. If you have more than just a couple domains (say, > 10 domains) it may be worth using a different registrar such as internetbs or namesilo for quantity discounts and free whois privacy. I wish namecheap offered free whois privacy, if they did they'd be much more enticing. As is, you pay $2 - $3 more / domain after the first year. That, and decreased tld selection (less country codes mostly) compared to other registrars, together represent the biggest drawbacks to namecheap imo.

shit thread

+1 Aruba is a good one. There's plenty of free options for DNS.

No him, but Gandi has a good reputation for standing up to bullying by the MPAA/Copyright mafia, refusing to take down customer's websites without a court order or revealing the identity of domain owners. They are also based in France so are not subject to US law shenanigans, which is a nice additional layer of protection as not everyone can just get a French lawyer to get a court order in France to get at you.

They are, indeed, a bit pricey, but I'd rather have frogs handing my IT than Pajeets.

Afraid.org is pretty shit. You can lose your domain at any time.

Ever heard of sarcasm?

DNS is pretty shit. You can lose your domain at any time.

hey, anons. I'm finally going to use my NEET free time for something
I want to host some friends websites and maybe even get clients in the future, I was looking to see if its better to get a shared host or a VPS
I nice shared I found is 1984 1984hosting.com/product/hosting/ it have unlimited domain, storage, sql, transfer and already configured Let's Encrypt, and just for 5euros a month
I dont know how many websites a shared host usually can handle, I should start with 5 sites and not more than 30 visits a day in each
A VPS is not much more expensive, but I fear it will consume a lot of my time
Any ideas?

I forgot to say that I almost got quads and that all the sites will be WordPress, thats why I was looking at shared host, as it come all pre-configured

DynIDF pls go

Start small with the shared host. If you need more flexibility once you get the hang of it and are prepared to deal with your own security and admining then go with the VPS.