Window Managers for X

Let's settle this once and for all: xmonad or i3?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/patrickhaller/no-wm
youtube.com/watch?v=ccniJHjo_Uw
notion.sourceforge.net/
howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Haskell (and ghc for source based distros) as a dependency is a real pain.
Config in haskell is a plus only if you know Haskell (and then, I'm not sure it's actually better than the really good plaintext i3 one).
Plus, i3 has a wayland replacement already in a pretty good state (sway).

I won't say i3 is better, because I didn't try xmonad, but I can't imagine something better than i3.

I use dwm on all of my Linux computers. It's easy to set up how you want if you're familiar with this kind of thing, I'm sure I'd like the alternatives too but why change if it werks?

If you like Haskell Xmonad is better, otherwise I'd go with i3. One of my favourite features of i3 is splitting the screen into two parts, and being able to flick between stacked windows on each side. I have no idea of Xmonad supports that.
Then again i3 doesn't lock your mouse cursor into the window for some games, so if you play vidya now and again Awesome would be better.

i3 is easy to config and has sane defaults. What's not to love?

i3 is bloatware compared to dwm, i never used xmonad... just use dwm

I'd rather "waste" a WHOLE FUCKING MB OF MEMORY HOLY SHIT of memory in a sane config scheme that allows me to easily update my WM along the rest of my packages without manual intervention, thank you.

If your machine has more than 64 MB of RAM the difference in bloat doesn't cause any practical issues. If you're having ideological issues with it then I sure hope you're not running GNU or Linux or you're a massive hypocrite.

Xfwm4

None of those small WMs constitute bloat. I ran twm on a 486 that had only 8 MB, and it worked great (fvwm1 was ok too). But X has become really bloated and full of nasty code since those days.

How is this even a question?

lol

It makes a lot more sense to use tiling wm on desktop with big monitor, than on laptop with small screen where you'd constantly need to change window sizes.

How do you expect me to handle my triple monitor set-up?

Like a normal human being? Why would you need a tiling wm for that?

With a stacking wm? Are you stupid? That's inefficient as fuck. And I gave it a long, unwilling try until I learned of tiling wms and been a happy user for over 2 years now.

I really tried to love i3.
Xmonad is just way more comfy and IMO has saner defaults. It's worth it to me to have ghc taking up space than to have to fight a losing battle with trying to make i3 as cozy as xmonad.
It could be I feel this way because I was exposed xmonad first, but I doubt it.

I love i3 so much.

Been using i3 for years now. I set i3bar mode to hide. It's great.

I'd like to check out dwm, but I'm not sure if it can be set up the way I want.

compiz motherfucker, do you speak it?

Are you retarded?

Yeah tiling WMs are really efficient that's why people who use them are obsessed with getting everything to be terminal based, because they are fucked if they need to open more than 7 windows at a time.

You can make windows float at will you know

If you have more than a few windows open you put them in different desktops/tags, just like without a tiling WM.

If anyone is using wayland remember there is sway as a direct replacement of i3.

what distro did you installed on that thing? i also have one 486 ibm motherboard and i want to play with that piece of history

Just how autistic do you have to be to use a tiling wm?

What does it do better than a normal one?

That's right, NOTHING.

4/10, can improve.

so in other words, you have no arguments?

The point of tiling is optimisation of the screen estate without any effort. You're lucky I'm easy to bait.

github.com/patrickhaller/no-wm

i3 is the best WM I have seen.

I really want a good WM that combines features from tiling and floating while also having workspaces/window sets.

The closest I can think of is probably Haiku's window manager but I don't know of anything like it for X. Despite it being floating it has the features I only often see in tiling wm's such as stacking windows side by side, assigning programs to tabs for a "tile", switching from one program to another in the same "tile"/window. It's a floating window system but the windows act more like floating tiles than they do exclusive program windows (like most floating systems I've seen).
youtube.com/watch?v=ccniJHjo_Uw

Notion (based on ion) seems to come close but it's not quite the same. notion.sourceforge.net/

If I could get Hakiu's floating features, with container windows to stick other windows into, along with a task area and multiple desktop workspaces I think I would be content. Add in tiling features like auto sizing and placement and I would be very content.

You do realize i3 can do all of these no problem right?

I've been meaning to look into it, but I thought it did tiling exclusively, no floating. I'll for sure be checking it out now.

i3 has no problem with floating, m8. You can also make windows automatically float depending on their properties.
for_window [class="mpv|Gimp*|ppsspp|qemu-system-x86_64|Sxiv|mGBA|Snes9x-gtk"] floating enablefor_window [window_role="pop-up"] floating enable

Why would you split your screen real estate when you could have one window taking the whole screen?

Why do you want a bunch of tiny windows where you can't see shit?

I bet you guys also play splitscreen games lmao

Not everything is a movie or a gayme that can make use of all the screen, Holla Forums.

fite me

Very nice, thanks for the info, user.

All popular tiliing wm's can do floating. Even fucking dwm can do it. If you want something that works exactly how you want it to, easily programmable window managers like xmonad or awesome(git version, release is heavily outdated) are the best bet.

fullscreen layout > native fullscreen

I've found window maker to be the best. It doesn't look like ass out of the box and can be made to look very pretty with a bit of customization. Plus, it's a very comfortable WM to work with, it's never been a pain.

Fluxbox is pretty great. I use it with shortcuts for move/resize windows so I get all the benefits of tiling without the drawback of never being able to stack windows.
I tried a lot of tiling WMs years ago but after a few days I would look at the layout patterns and think about why you'd ever want to have 12 tiny windows arranged in a spiral.

bspwm

Slackware. Can't remember the version number but it's whatever they had in 1995. I downloaded all the floppy images (like 50 of them) and installed it like that. Didn't even have a CDROM on that computer anyway, just the floppy drive and a 400 MB HDD.
I think it came with kernel 1.2.8.
You should be able to run Netscape 3 also, but probably not many sites will work correctly (but who knows, it would be fun to watch).

Seems to work ok, if you really like emacs.
howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html

You can run maximized Xterm with tmux or dvtm or screen. The only question is why even use X at all, at that point. Well there's no reason, X is useless bloat and security hazard.

Not all tiling WMs have a layout.

Then you're just tiling in your terminal, that's the same.
There are a lot of reasons, obviously. Like video (yes, I know that the framebuffer exists), image viewers, "modern" browser (i.e. with all the needed extensions), video games (gzdoom/ioquake3/iortcw for me).

Not many people realize it can do more than display images though. Using DRI, you can even get opengl acceleration.
Fuck that.
I have openttd running on tty2 right now as I shitpost on tty1. Retroarch can run without X as well. It requires some tinkering because access to /dev/input is restricted (as it should be), but it's possible. Depends on the game of course.

Yeah too bad so many browsers require X. I think even Dillo needs it. Only Links and w3m have graphical mode that works in framebuffer, that I'm aware of.
As far as games, I don't really care because I never got into the complicated ones that need OpenGL. I'm fine with text mode stuff like roguelikes, etc. and various emulators that render to plain old SDL.

It's also useful to map a key to quickly toggle a window to floating mode:

bindsym $mod+t floating toggle

Like the preset $mod+shift+space, you mean?

I use $mod+space, personally. Not fan of Emacs-tier finger twisting bindings.

I just meant that there's already a key mapped to quickly toggle a window to floating mode by default.

I run i3 on my laptop. No issues. I almost never feel the need to resize or float windows.

Gala

It shouldn't be too hard to use (qt)webkit in a framebuffer afaik. I have no idea if someone actually built a browser with this, but it shouldn't be too hard.

This tbh

imonad and x3 are superior to those.

however, KDE > all