Best architecture?

Hey, Holla Forums. What do you think is the best architecture for personal computing? What do you think is going to happen in the future? Why is it almost impossible to buy anything other than x86 as your average consumer these days?

pic unrelated.

Because amd64 (not x86) is brilliant apart from the fact it's CISC

I think RISC-V or OpenRisc will be the future though through SBC adoption

It's disgusting. x86 is much nicer.

I remember when that was fisrt posted, was there any real progress after the situation died down, or did it pretty much halt entirely with the base 6 math stuff?

Itanium would have been good.

Because Windows is x86(_64) only.

No it wouldn't. It's pentium 4 retardation taken to the nth degree. Compilers would never have been able to make it run well.

What are you talking about? What is that image?

Itanium was one of those "good on paper" ideas that turned out to be impossible to properly implement. You don't see all of the demons until you actually try to build the damn thing.

I don't have the images on me right now, I'll post them later, but basically a guy on half/x/ a few years ago was dicking around with his radio setup, and noticed a signal popping up coming in from his radio dish. He recorded it, it sounded vaguely like it was something meant to be put through a spectrogram or SSTV, and that imagw was part of the signal that came out. It gained traction on /g/, Holla Forums, and /x/, until an user realized that it was a mathematical system, and realized it was in base 6.

What would be a good place to upload the audio?

Mega is pretty good for this kind of stuff.

x86 went to hell after Pentium Pro. Now it's all overcomplicated botnet shit.
ARM SBC boards all have proprietary shit.
MIPS is nowhere to be found, unless you take a flight to china and buy Loongson Lemote laptop.
There's basically nothing good, and it will just get worse with more botnet and consumer-oriented disposable shit.

God-tier:
Good-tier:
Okay-tier:
Shit-tier:
Scraped-off-the-bottom-of-the-septic-tank-tier:

There is a significant chance ARM will finally ascend out of the mobile/embedded market to knock Intel off its throne and bury x86 forever, but I'm unsure whether to bet on even 50/50 odds of this happening.

There is also a very slim but plausible chance of FPGAs getting some of the silicon budget in future commodity devices as ASIC accelerators, causing a new renaissance in ISA design diversity.

Because vendors are too cowardly to use emulation/DynaRec/LLVM aggressively enough to attack Intel with superior hardware. Also, because Intel owns most of the best fabs in the world, which compensates for their embarrassing designs with superior yields and faster die-shrinks.

I talked to the anons at /ham/ and they said the power required for an alien to actually send such a message would be so enormous they would probably be harnessing the power of their entire sun.

So for such an advanced species why did they not sent any higher math than basic algebra?

There is in the large rectangle with 2 circles in it at the end an approximation for square root of 2. but also just under that the alien appears to showing its asshole.

so its probably just trolling, clever trolling but trolling no less.

Fun to think about but a good troll.

RISC

Probably also illegal if I understand the law correctly.

Well, let's see; what do "personal computers" do? Vidja gayums, maybe some simple spreadsheets. Web browsing is a must. Occasional virtualization is a possibility. Power efficiency isn't *that* important.

I'm thinking a modular architecture would be best, since not everyone has exactly the same needs. Double precision isn't all that important, since most of its use case for regular people is, again, games. You could probably offload most of your heavy processing to a GPU or some other accelerator. This would keep entry level costs down, since you wouldn't need some super-powerful CPU for most of the work. I'm thinking RISC-V is where it's at.

Milkymist

I think x86 is pretty good

I solved the issue in OP's pic unrelated 2 years ago.

The first problem is that the picture is upside down, which I corrected for you, and then when you look at it you'll see that it actually starts with the aliens waving, a mspaint drawn square boombox, and then follows some typical mathematical instructions on how to use their language, which is decryptable by a 5th grader.

Long story short, I found the creator on Omegle using his own alien tag he created, got him to admit he created it, then he sent me the jpg he made in MSPAINT which was a white on black drawn picture. The spectogram skews the picture and then he posted in /x/ threads on 4chan that he intercepted an alien transmission over HAM radio.

Most people solved the symbols and math problems except for the last one that was something about the power of.

The symbol with the square was 10, the lines on the side of the square was how many power of tens or the multiple of ten.

The cheesiness of this hoax is seen in the boombox drawn in MSPAINT, but if the image is upside down, you won't see it.

depends on your definition of personal computing.

Security oriented people will go towards RISC and open architectures while vidya goyim will hover over CISC and other mainstream botnet platforms.

Future for any good Holla Forums user will be small compact, possibly open hardware, devices which can be easily disposed of.

might wanna re-visit the computing architecture class

That's pretty interesting.

Honestly OP, you don't need much for personal computing. Windows and Macintosh goyim replace their PCs on a regular basis because their shitty OS keeps getting more resource-hungry with every release even though it rarely (if ever) adds new features that are of interest to personal computing. The most resource-intensive task most normies do is video encoding.

The exception to this rule is gaming, but then you're locked into x86_64 whether you like it or not so which architecture is the best is a moot point.

Gaming aside, I propose that ARM is the best since ARM processors are typically designed for energy efficiency.

You can easily have a freetard build with an Allwinner SBC. Just forget GPU.

get a cpu from before before intel and amd fucked their processors