Backups

What's your backup strategy, Holla Forums?

How do you backup your desktops, handhelds, and servers?
What tools do you use?
Do you encrypt?
Where do you store the backups? Are they off-site?
Does your method prevent data corruption of in-use data?
How secure is your solution?

Or maybe you just hope for the best..

I'm using a vps with backuppc but it's kinda a shit solution as the data's unencrypted on a butt provider and the backup server has to have root on every machine. I need a better solution.

rsync -aAX --delete --info=progress2 --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found","/storage/*"} /* /storage

My strategy is:
1. Have often (every day?) auto backups of project files on same HDD. They won't help in HDD failure but will in case of single file corruption or overwrite.
2. Have regular encrypted backups of project files and some other important files on pendrive / SD card. Those should be 1-10GB in size. Just plug it into pc every week and do it automatically or semi-auto.
3. Have occasional (one in month or few) bigger backups to external HDD. Those are also encrypted. They include entire system partition, might include some less important stuff like installed programs, program data, music, videos etc. Expected size 20-200GB.
4. Have regular encrypted backups like in 2. but not to pendrive but to internet. This is important when you might need to run immediately from country or if your house gets stolen or burned.
5. Occasional or rare, like in 3. but to a HDD that isn't stored in house but at some other place.

The small issue is that... well... it's only a strategy, plan. I don't do that yet. But what do you think of my plan? Any improvements?
How to automate it so I can just plug a pendrive in?
Where to upload online backup? How to do it incremental? Or is it not possible to incremental if I use encryption?
Where to store external HDD outside of home?

I use deja-dup, a front-end for duplicity, to back up my files on an external HDD. Occasionally I encrypt the backup and store it online.

I should add that the backups are already encrypted, I just put them all in an encrypted archive before putting it online so it's not even clear what it is.

I backup everything to CDs. Gonna move to DVDs and Blu-Rays when the compressed size is uncomfortably close to 700MB (currently at 80MB). I like it because if a hardware failure were to happen, I could just buy another drive and/or use an older disk or another copy of the same one (if I decide to make two CDs for one backup). Files are individually encrypted if they need to be, but I might GPG encrypt the tar.xz file that contains everything.

Like I said earlier, optical media is a great and cheap way to redundantly store your data. Blu-ray disks seem to be the best bang for your buck, but I don't use them because I don't backup enough data to warrant using it and I don't have a reader or writer for them yet.

oh. I didn't know opticals still exist. I thought they moved to torrents years ago.
I don't even have optical drive. Should buy one to install inside computer or external usb one? What's price of CD or DVD? What's price of hdd and flash pendrive? What's price of online storage (is free?)?
What if one CD will be scratched and won't work? Backup will be ruined (as it will be encrypted and archived into split files)? Can you have some redundant data or fix data in archiving formats?

You could also use CD's to put there some unused stuff from your hdd.

What is the lifetime of CD? 3 years? And I assume I should use RW ones and reuse them when doing backup again?

But CD's have a drawback of being big and shiny. When carabinieri into your house, they will take CD's with them. In comparison, flash drive or sd card could be put into anus, under penis skin, or hidden somewhere else. But can use both.

I keep an operating system backup in a disconnected hard drive that I update about once a year.

Pretty much every personal data, projects, passwords, emails etc are synchronized daily into two different discs and every month an encrypted archive is saved online.

What about external drives? 1 tb its like 60 bucks

They're shit quality compare to "internal" drives.

The only difference between a USB and a SATA/PATA drive is that there is a SATA/PATA to USB converter on the back of it. Any CD drive made past 2004 should work fine. I don't know about DVD or Blu-Ray drives, but look out for reviews and stuff. CD quality doesn't matter too much if you routinely backup the data

CD-RWs and DVD-RWs are TERRIBLE and should never be used for serious backups (they tend to go bad after 1 or 2 years, probably faster if you are rewriting the data every week or so). CD-Rs can last well beyond 30 years if stored properly. I don't know about DVD-Rs, but I think they last very long too (maybe not 30 years due to data density, but easily over 15)

The Library of Congress copied all of their archives to CDs in the early 90s, and they are still readable today (actually, I think about 90%, but that probably had to do with defects from the factory). The drives have gotten a lot better over the years: error detection and correction, reliability of writing, and others, so you might be able to go even farther with it.

Why don't you back up on USB key?
They can handle a lot of data, are cheap, small and are easely destructible.
Please don't tell me that you went for the Mr. Robot non sense...
I don't think that cd are a better alternative to usb key...

Frog?

send all my personal things to dropbox, then e-mail all my passwords to friends for safe keeping

honestly i use to use CDRWs alot but my brief experiences lately have just been corrupted CDs and corrupted CD drives. CDs are a waste of time and died for good reason, in my opinion

Check my repeating digits

I back up only the things that I love on external full disk encrypted hard drives.

5 repeating 4 digits soon

Fun Allowed

All the posters above need to check my digits

Repeating digits for the win

Praise KEK

Soon

Look at all the technology

Make Holla Forums Great Again

Freedom

SP Get

I was considering using tarsnap but I don't like depending on software I don't fully control. Was looking into alternatives like borg. I want to be able to de-duplicate across several machines as I don't want to wind up storing 100 copies of Debian or have to give specific directories and accidentally miss stuff.

checked

what year is it

Files -> Archive -> Write bytes to picture -> save on amazon prime photo storage.

congratulations on getting that on a half dead board.

But CD is only 0.7GB, DVD 4.7GB. And slow record speed.
I'd need to have big amount of them to backup full pc. And if you say to use -R instead of -RW, it will be very expensive.

Compared to that, flash drive is small but takes up to 64GB of data. And can be overwritten.

External drive are also an option. They are big but can take hundreds and more GB's. And are deadly fast.

Even internet backup beats CD's. But what place should I choose?

You can't synchronize if you use encryption. Or can you?
And what online do you use?

That's expensive. And they are big so you can't hide in your underwear.

I don't use USB keys because I don't know what they are and where to buy them.

Steganography? That's illegal!
Is amazon prime free? Do they delete pics? How much data you upload there?

What backup software to use on windows? I want that I put path of folders that I want backup and how often so it does it automatically.

I manually move files to disconnected bare HDDs that I have lying around every few months or so.

Where to store backups online?

NSA taxpayer-funded datacenter