Welp, RIP

Welp, RIP.

So, I'm thinking of running a separate instance of Infinity Next, but don't have enough shekels to get a good VPS (and I don't want to buy a shitty single-core VPS like Josh did and face 4-minute page load times). Any anons helping me out with this?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/AmR97
ucavviu7wl6azuw7.onion/
ark.intel.com/products/81061/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699-v3-45M-Cache-2_30-GHz
archive.is/CPyjg
8ch.tech/coc
console.cloud.google.com/freetrial
cloud.google.com/appengine/
facebook.com/dicks
github.com/infinity-next/infinity-next
8ch.net/log.php?board=tech
endchan.xyz/.global/logs/2016-08-27.html
8ch.tech/endlog/tech.html
librechan.net/jp/
2hu-ch.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why not just use lynxchan like the two sites josh recommended on his farewell?

I am shocked and never saw this coming.

go SERVERLESS(tm)
seriously though you aren't going to be able to host a dynamic webapp cheaply.
the best deal you'll get in webhosting is uploading to S3 or nearlyfreespeech for static. shared hosting is a ripoff for dynamic sites these days compared to cheap VPS.

why would he keep it alive when he doesn't have the money or time for something fundamentally unprofitable.
imageboards are dead. long live imageboards.

If he didn't have the time or money for a "fundamentally unprofitable" chan, which they all are, why'd he say he'd do it? Rhetorical question since we know he's a flake and a loser which is why those of us here didn't follow to infinity never. I hope his squad of sycophants are enjoying all their threads being deleted.

Because things were different a few months ago, Jim was sperging out hard, Hotwheels had stepped down so he can peacefully die after being used as Jim's fleshlight.
You seem pretty angreh son.
Better than white knighting for an imageboard run by Jim 'credit card fraud' Watkins.

Infinity Next has:
- a proper permission/role system
- a proper report system
- a proper logging system
- no messages that say "Content deleted" even if it isn't
- intuitive post controls
- a reasonably modern look

Too bad it doesn't fucking work, though.

It does, just needs some polish: in dire need of emphasis on caching, and fixing hotwheels shitty captcha.
One thing I personally wanted to do was abstract the captcha provider to plug in any kind of REST API or similar local captcha. One that's not looping through every fucking pixel of a captcha in the PHP interpreter, for example.
That, and abstract the ad provider.
But mostly polish caching and integrate support for document caching.

It works fine if you don't run it on an underpowered VPS.

Yeah, you just need a 64 core CPU, 256 GB RAM and a 100tbps link to support a dozen users.

Funny, because freech runs with dozens more users than 16ch had on an underpowered VPS.

That's not how it works.
Benchmarks showed it serves at 40 requests/second per core just fine. Without document caching, and without the captcha. I assure you that they're throwing more hardware away on alacrity than would be used on Infinity Next in an optimal setup, with decent caching.

That's pitiful.
Lynxchan can serve around 250.

Freech had document caching, with threads updated and served via GridFS (MongoDB) because he's a fucking moron who can't read the docs explicitly telling him that it causes problems.
Holla Forums has document caching via alacrity.

Yeah, and how fast does it build? Probably pitifully slow.
I can say that Infinity Next tops out at tens of thousands of requests/second when using document caching, it doesn't really say anything.
You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

page has been archived: archive.is/AmR97
IRC channel called #nextchan has been set up on irc.rizon.net to talk about a possible new instance of Infinity Next.

Freech no longer uses Lynxchan, its now a textboard only site running Tablecat. Lynxchan is permissively licensed, it can easily go closed source permanently or temporarily. Infinity Next is AGPLv3 licensed software, if you're running a public instance you need to provide the source code for that instance.

then why did they drop Lynxchan?

It builds fast enough for both endchan and freech not have any issues.
:^)

So, builds slower than dogshit. Gotcha.
You also realize how pitiful it is to serve what's fundamentally a document from mongodb at 250 requests/second, right?

He only recently changed from lynxchan.
I didn't think he would actually change.
I remember him telling me he liked how you could reply any thread anywhere.

So you think its better to take a whole minute and end up giving a 504 page?

NNTPchan:
2hu-ch.org
ucavviu7wl6azuw7.onion/

That's not how it works in practice.
How it'd work in practice is it'd be heavily cached using Laravel's unified DB caching layer wherever it can, document caching with edge-side-includes or bypassing the cache when it comes to dynamic content. Say, if you're a mod. Or various dynamic endpoints.
In practice, how it was on the slow VPS, that's now how it would work.

Ok, give me a call when you have that working.

You mean, like every fucking dynamic website worth two shits?
What a revolutionary architecture. Truly, on the cutting edge of SERVERLESS WEB SCALE DEVELOPMENT.

No, I am talking about infinity next.
I never said anything about dynamic sites, I am talking about infinity next working.
Because as far as we know, it doesn't.
It will have a half dozen shitposters and will require a quantum computer to not shit itself.

Certainly is not the case, I posted a lot on 16chan and when it wasn't slow (have no idea why it slowed down like that btw) and posts got through instantly.

t. op

"muh quantum computers" don't speed up these tasks. Go back to Holla Forums.
There's no reason why it fucking shouldn't, I suspect Josh's site was being DoS'd by Bui or some other faggot as well because it had many more users months ago with no problems, and problems started showing up when he took MITMflare out of the equation.

So it didn't break until it was broken?
Infinity took a lot more banging to break like that, mind you.

A DOS that didn't cause the front-page nor the overboard to not work.
Sure thing, m8.

It can if it's being dynamically built, with no document caching in front of it.
Again, you have no idea what you're talking about, Holla Forumsirgin. Go back to Holla Forums.

Ok, so where is this instance of infinity next that works?
The one ran by the main developer himself couldn't handle the shittiest load.

It could, but something happened(TM). Maybe some memory leak or some database fucked up, but the site definitely wasn't like that until August.

Just kill yourself

OdiliTime ran an instance with benchmarks that topped out at 320 requests/second on 8 cores. Without the captcha, and without document caching.

And of course, that's on one machine, without any load balancing. Just a db cache and a database.

While I don't agree with him resorting to namecalling just makes you look bad. Don't act like a kid.

40 requests per core per second.
That's shit, m8.

I recommend reading comprehension.

So where is this instance with all this simple shit that could make it work?

No, that's pretty much par for the course for a PHP webapplication.
I know that you're mentally ill and don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but let me break it down for you:
You're comparing apples and oranges with sites that build the content to a cache and serves it statically, versus next that builds the content and serves it dynamically. What Next needs is focusing on using the unified caching layer as much as possible, and then finally using document caching.

It requires time for someone to do the work.

That's what I am proposing. I could run an instance of Infinity Next but I need a VPS for it because my autismbux isn't enough to pay for a good one.

So in conclusion: PHP is shit and next is crippled because of it. Got it.

Again, give me a call when you have it working.

No, because anything can serve sanic fast. It's all about the DA CASH.
You're a stupid fucking Holla Forumsirgin who's been blown the fuck out multiple times in this thread.

I have an interesting proposition.

A friend of mine is doing a networking job and he recently got two extremely high-powered CPUs which he put into a server motherboard with 12 TB of disk space in RAID 1.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have a particularly good internet connection right now.

He told me he doesn't know what the fuck to do with it -- and he offered me some use of that computer.

Knowing that Infinity Next has higher CPU requirements than Infinity, and that this computer my friend has has 90 MB of Cache and 72 threads..

Would it be worth it to try and run an Infinity Next test instance on it?

I think in Spring it'd get a better internet connection.

Yeah, because infinity next had only nearly two years and 12 thousand dollars, CLEARLY that's not enough to make a meme software like the other hundreds we had for decades.

Yeah, that might be able to support infinity next.

But just for about 20 users or so.

Oh yeah, it also has 128 GB of RAM.

Lol, I think it can handle more than 20 users considering that Next on that 1 core VPS that Josh was renting handled more than 20 users. (Though it was laggy as all hell)

Retards don't belong on Holla Forums.

I'm OP. If you want to dicuss further you can use my email.

That would definitely be worth it. How shitty is the connection exactly?

10/10 smh tbh fam
enjoy this oekaki instead

Refresh the page.

You're better off using time to integrate document caching and improve the unified caching across the board.
But yes, that's enough hardware to throw at it that it really won't have any problems on a single machine.
Actually would probably serve comparable to Holla Forums, and dynamically. Apparently they're topping out at 700 requests/second on alacrity, with lower latency of course.

Every mid-level, dynamically building web application in existance?

How hard is to understand that I am talking about infinity next and not the concept of a dynamic website?

Because just in case you STILL didn't get it yet:
I am talking about infinity next.
Not the concept of a dynamic website.

Understood?

So, can you show me an instance of infinity next that works?

Again, I already told you of an instance on actual hardware: not desktop i5s put into a fucking rack mount, with actual benchmarks that were done.
It works, it needs someone to unify a caching layer, and that's the end of it.
You're the retarded faggot who brought up quantum computers while not knowing what you're talking about. Go back to Holla Forums.

Anyway, this is the Processor, which it has two of:
ark.intel.com/products/81061/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699-v3-45M-Cache-2_30-GHz

I don't really think he'd take kindly to using the entire server for a Next instance, lol. But that's interesting. I just sent Josh an email -- I'll see if he responds with information on bandwidth, etc. so I could discuss it with my friend.

I guess I could hack around with document caching, but I don't know very much about PHP, and I don't have much time right now -- classes are starting today -- maybe I could squeeze time in on the weekends?

The connection he'll have in Spring should be good enough. The one he has now is a shitty cable connection -- I'm not sure how bad it is, I have to ask.

The benchmark that gave 40 RPS? You think that's remotely acceptable?

I might send you an email after I get some more details.

40 requests/second per core is acceptable for dynamic building, yes.
That's enough for Holla Forums's traffic. Remember, they were only shooting for 100 requests/second on the i5 shitboxes.
Ideally you'd also delegate to a non-shit captcha, one with a local REST API or something if you didn't want recaptcha, but again requires development time to move away from Hotwheels' stumbling block that he introduced.

Obviously it wasnt.
The ONLY reason they funded next was to get something BETTER.

It wasn't because Hotwheels captcha was using all of the resources, and between everyone being redirected and generating a captcha on page load, one that loops through every pixel in the PHP interpreter sequentially they'd pretty much sealed their fate.

Well, 16ch didn't use it and it still didn't work.

Thanks.

It did use it. Just wasn't generated as often, and throttling for it was done in PHP (probably not the best move)
I suspect between the low powered VPS and someone (Bui?) was DoSing it without cloudflare. That's my guess.

It actually worked really well at first. The really poor hardware brought it down in the end.

It had barely no one using, that hardware was more than enough.

It had more users than when the problems started occuring, you fucking retard.
Why are you even opining about shit you have no comprehension of?
You've been told to go back to Holla Forums multiple times.

fuck you tbh, I wanted to get in on this nextchan chan but IRC block all muh VPNs, proxies and Tor.

nothing of value lost

I am only tripfagging because I was an important dood in 16chan. I was the #1 shitposter and I owned /baphomet/.

you should make a discord, IRC is for oldfags anyway.

Everyone hated you

KYS

stop samefagging, I owned many of the top boards there and I nearly was a Global Volunteer but Josh was a autistic faggot.

Yeah you are pure fucking cancer and need to kill yourself

rizon is where a lot of imageboard website channels are, like Holla Forums's and 4chan's, hence why its there. maybe some other line of communication could be set up that allows better privacy.

discord is proprietary and disrespects privacy by nature

ABSOLUTELY FOR FREE

I know but It blocks all anonymity, is there any discord-ish channel types?

archive.is/CPyjg

INFINITY NEVER CONFIRMED
NEVER EVER EVER EVER
JOSH SHILLS BTFO

It was the server that fucked up the site, not the software you goon.

Tripfag if what you're saying needs proof or gets a significantly different meaning because of your identity. Otherwise you're just an asshole.

He's pure cancer. Everyone on 16chan hated him. When he took over /baphomet/ they made an alternative board to get away from his cancerous faggotry. He claims because he managed to grab a bunch of boards that means people liked him, reality is everyone hated him because he is a tripfagging redditor

I did not take over it, I made that Board. I was Board Owner from the start.

NEVER
EVER
EVER

The software was great you niggershit.

Is this where we shitpost about Next?

No one cares how you got the board faggot, the rest of what I said is what matters. Everyone left your shitty newfag board because you are fucking cancer

Is there any alt imageboard that isn't infested with or made by dramafags and goons?

Someone needs to make an edit of the Communism Has Never Been Tried comic about Infinity Never.

REST IN PEACE

I seriously hope that you aren't going to do this

Also, Drybones is not running Endchan. He was hated on the IRC so when he helped be a vol on a board for one day, all of the 8ch IRC crew said, "see, Endchan is Drybones!". After this reaction he was removed, and this slander by Josh today just shows what a small guy he is.

Shouldn't be a surprise, he's a troubled autistic meth addict after all.

Josh Internet Defense Force?
I thought cripple was the only member.

last time this image will be relevant

I am both happy and sad

kill yourself next, josh.

He will have more time to dedicate to his other projects such as lolcow.news and his opus Kiwifarms

We're trying to think of a good name in the IRC channel. The best we have is "Nextchan". Can someone think of a better one?

Logo optional

do you guys have a COC? I can help draft one up :)

are you willing and able to draw an eggplant?

We're currently using Holla Forums's official Code of Conduct.
8ch.tech/coc

affchan? Since it's licensed under AGPL?

why set this fucking shit again? Who will use it after at least 3 fails in ONE year?

The software works fine, retard

Show me, faggot

It worked on 16chan when the amount of reasonable users compared to the hardware was reasonable. 16chan was a testing site on a shitty VPS that grew into more than that after a long time of little activity.

One more for the road, then.

JOSH IS A MESS
JOSH IS A WASTE

smh tbh

I'm sure you and the other four users all enjoyed it very much.

Have a source for that?

Odilitime did benchmarks for it.
Runs fine, needs a little bit more work on caching.

It's too bad odilis instance is down now. I checked to see if it was still there to refer to the retards in this thread that have no idea what they are talking about, but alas. It's dead, Jim

DAILY REMINDER JOSH DID NOTHING WRONG

I hate to shill but I use Google cloud all day at work, and they have a $300 free trial: console.cloud.google.com/freetrial

Also, you can stretch your money by dropping the PHP in App Engine: cloud.google.com/appengine/

He didn't bend over and spread his asscheeks when Jim told him to surrender all exclusive rights to software he hadn't paid a cent for, and users had paid for all of the development, in exchange for an employment contract.
So technically, he did. In Jim's fucked up, credit card fraudster perpetuating mind.

Go away Josh.

Josh did nothing wrong

Care to facturally dispute the assertion in ?
Protip: you can't :^)

REST IN PEACE

wew.

Is that his blog?

no, a faggot news site.

even after it fucking dies
you people are still defending it

It tries to present itself as news but it's essentially Jewsh's blog

The site itself was shit-tier but the software used was god-tier.

REST IN PEACE

Yeah, it was SO GOOD that the fucking developer couldn't keep it working properly with barely no one using.

It had more to do with the VPS and changes done to it, it had many more users months ago with no problems.
Maybe you should try not being incompetent, or go back to Holla Forums.

this board is a mess.

its even worse than infinity next was

b-but it was all hotweels's CAPTCHA at fault! Even a year later on the author's site!

Infinity Next is great though.

The fuck are you on about?

Librechan is an imageboard. Shortening that to "board" is not that weird.

Bye, Bye, Miss Anonymous Pie
Took the hate van right to Holla Forums but then cripplekike died
And shitposters, from every board did imply
Posting This will be the day that I die
This will be the day that I die

Holla Forums is a board. imageboard usually means the the site like Holla Forums

I know. That's why I said Librechan is an imageboard. Shortening "imageboard" to "board" is unconventional but not wrong.

Yes, it was.
Actually I'm writing a RESTful captcha in Rust atm, looking at Hotwheels captcha is fucking hilarious because I can see how fucking retarded he was.

that captcha is still better than the google captcha. current one does not want to be solved 100 times before allowing 1 post or say that it was incorrect when it was not

Well that's not what I'm talking about. That benefit is with any self-hosted captcha. Problem is the resources it was using. Josh can also be blamed for making the site hard to cache with dynamic captchas for non-js users, but it's mainly hotwheels fault that the captcha is resource guzzling dogshit PHP image manipulation.

Might as well just start calling forum then.

Also, I'm failing to see how this librechan "board" is a mess since their front-end is pretty much the same as Holla Forums but with some extra features.

Well, they are forums.
Just forums for people who hate forumfags, usually.

Forgot my signature
==
GIVE ME A LIKE ON FACEBOOK facebook.com/dicks
"LOL RANDUM QUOTE"
+1 my avatar

You're saying Josh couldn't fix a captcha in a YEAR? At some point, you've got to realize, the problem here is Josh being fucking terrible.

He didn't write it, and it was determined that it was bottleneck only like four or so months ago.
How I'd fix it abstract it so you can select from multiple captcha providers, and write another that's not slow as fuck. More flexible, allows a recaptcha provider if admins want it, and so on.
Could even be abstracted so board owners can pick which captcha they want to use, without a mess of spaghetti.

Good.

Why fix it when this site didn't plan to use the software anymore, and it didn't need to be fixed while 16chan had like 20 users?

So where we goin fellas?

Now I am almost certain most of the shills have been Josh samefagging

this, that was the golden age of 16chan.

Librechan is the ONLY FOSS imageboard now and it is not a Board.

the power of lolis

Imageboards are forums. They fit the definition. They're just very different from typical forums in a number of ways.

OP here. Were you fed to the pigs or...?

holy fuck, stop talking about librechan.
I'm calling the fbi on all of you faggots.
Librechan is a honey pot for dirty kid fuckers.

ssshhhhhh shhhhh shh shh.

this.

fuck off you niggershit.

The next step for imageboard communities is distributed, p2p, client-based software. No more browsershit, why even bother? Fuck Cloudflare, fuck ICANN, fuck hosting.

Imagine when hatechan is fundamentally unDdoSable.

Underrated post.

Kill yourself pedo scum

Daily reminder Josh did nothing wrong

how do we deal with spam in such a system?

Board ownership and moderation can still be centralized. You could create a board by generating a private key, which is used to generate a board URI (similar to a .onion address) and which can be used to sign moderator actions which then propagate through the network.

does nntpchan work like that? if it doesn't, how can we change it?

As far as I know it doesn't. Moderator actions do propagate, but they're trusted because the node they come from is known. I might be wrong about this.

But I don't think that such a system would be best for NNTPchan, because NNTPchan isn't p2p. It's hosted by multiple servers that share information, not by its users. Usenet doesn't scale to networks with extreme numbers of nodes so I don't expect that to change.

p2pchan would be cool but also harder to use. You would probably need more than just a web browser to use it.

You say that like it's a good thing.

woah grandpa, did you forget to take your daily dose of meds?

meant to reply to

It is. I don't want a web 8.0 monstrosity with elements that go flying when you scroll the page, but Lynxchan is just ugly when it doesn't need to be. Infinity Next is nice to look at without the decoration slowing things down. Lynxchan doesn't do a lot to make things look pleasant and organized. This is a screenshot of Lynxchan's report queue. It's lazy. It just dumps the few elements that are absolutely necessary on the page without giving any thought to which presentation is easy to use or what else is convenient to have visible.

Maybe "modern" isn't really the right word.

the infinity next look is god-tier.

pic related.

Did Jawsh ever fix the floating reply box?

yes he did fix that and lots of other things.

This is an interesting idea though. What network should be used as a base; ipfs, i2p or gnunet? I'd like to use gnunet like secushare plans to do.

Should we have a separate thread for this?

That's not actually part of the look. But it is valid criticism of Infinity Next, and it's criticism that Josh acknowledged, even.

no it isn't.

no one wants to host and browse sites using what is effectively BitTorrent.

if I have a choice between 4chan and having to install a botnet eating up my bandwidth hosting /hebe/ webms I'm taking 4chan.

What about having to install a botnet eating up your bandwidth hosting Holla Forums webms? You wouldn't necessarily have to mirror content from boards you don't use.

why would anyone do that when you can just use a site that doesn't rape your bandwidth and is much faster instead?

decentralization is just a meme.

Deterrent in action. You won't be missed.

Distributed bans based on a recommendation system that nodes can trust or distrust. Maybe weigh recommendations from BO node higher. These problems are interesting, and new, not necessarily hard.

Talk about it here until there's a repo. Feel free to bring it up in /cyb/tox if you lurk there. Decent programmer population, not just CS dropouts.

Actually, you are right. People around here love to talk about decentralization, but don't realize that, for most purposes it is unreliable or unnecessarily complicated. Federation is where it's at.

People paid him to make software for Holla Forums but he hijacked the project to make his own site.

He claims total ownership of the project yet blames other people for failures of the project.

He claims to be a hardcore free software advocate yet his own site (kiwifarms) runs closed source propriety software.

etc etc etc

he did make the software, see: github.com/infinity-next/infinity-next he made his own site after Jim refused to use Infinity Next due to its license. the fact that he was using it doesn't keep any other site from using it either.

you can fork it, its under the AGPLv3. its right there, publicly available.

if you don't like that, fix it or get someone else to fix it.

(checked)

For those who don't want to join the p2p network, we can write a web interface that a node hosts. Or a special binary protocol and a client for that, systemd-shitpostd.

t. everyone

Josh addressed the issue long ago and said he won't fix it because it will break muh themes. He also didn't want to support obscure meme browsers who won't obey his awesome design.

Now I could fix it myself but the easiest solution for me is to fix it client side. Still, the whole idea that design is put above structure is troubling.

He said he wanted to do it in the next major version after release because it would break user themes, and he said this during development.
It doesn't really matter at this point, the change could be done. Go do the work yourself, and make sure the CSS follows your changes.
This isn't a hard concept.

I'll get started on the logo.

If I'm not included, then it's not "everyone" anymore. When you're posting through someone's node, they can potentially read what you're posting. They could even edit and censor the messages, because they're not in the shitposting network yet.

So we need trustworthy nodes for those who don't want to be part of the network. Ideally it would be your friend or someone who lives in the same country.

It would be difficult to me, because I'm not a web dev. Next doesn't seem worth the effort. It is way more fun to just shitpost about it.

(contd.)
:p

You're reinventing nntpchan

Well there's the problem, because pretty much no one cares at this point, if they wanted to contribute to Next there's a lot more fixes or features that could be added.
You're also complaining about fucking list elements as a non web developer. Maybe you should stop shitposting and learn how to do some basic html and css if it bothers you so much.

In a way, you are right. But I'm also trying to improve it. See and for the ideas.

Right now, nntpchan consists of users and servers. The servers have all the power to filter posts and gather metadata, although this is discouraged. There aren't too many of the servers either, and it doesn't scale well if users go up and servers don't.

What we want instead is that the users are encouraged to propagate the messages themselves. That improves the speed and stability of the network as it grows. Of course, if the network is poorly designed, it turns out to be way slower. But we don't have to rely on any number of servers hosted by no-names.

While NNTP is a fine protocol, we shouldn't use it as is. There is a reason why web-based chans have thumbnails; you save bandwidth if you don't want to see the picture. That is not case if you try to read nntpchan with a newsreader, because loading attachments over TOR is very slow. It would be fine if it large attachments were separated from stream of posts, or if you use the web interface. In nntpchan, can you be part of the network distributing posts with little work and resources?

That's actually a pretty good design. Short and simple. The web clients should be the ones thumbnailing.
See, you're creating more problems than you're solving.
What resolution should the thumbnails be? Should there be multiple thumbnails for high DPI and RETINA? What about apng? Why the fuck aren't you thumbnailing in webp, it's the FUTURE(tm).

nntp should be used as simply as possible, and leave things like that up to the front-ends. It's all about choice.

It's not a problem for nntpchan really, because you browse it with a browser and thumbnails are generated by servers. (You still can't use a newsreader with it, because we're keeping the nntp end simple like that.) However, when designing that p2p chan we were talking about, then we might need to consider this.

Why can't you? You were complaining about Tor speed mainly. I was under the assumption that you could read it with a newsreader.

THANK YOU JOSHUA OF INFINITY NEXT

Well, this is a different topic, but allright. In theory, you can use a newsreader, but the problem is that some NNTP commands are not implemented in srndv2, and it's sketchy and slow when using it directly.

Over tor, speed is the biggest issue, but it would slow down over clearnet as well. Especially when posts have attachments. You simply can't glance over a thread like on the web interface, because you don't see the contents of posts from the overview of a group, threads don't have subjects. If you actually want to read the posts, it will be painfully slow because you will receive full attachments with them.

You have to wait twenty seconds for a post to appear on your reader. The posts has message "haha what faggots everyone of you" and a smug anime picture. So much waiting for so little.

Now worry not, there are ways to fix this. If you cache the posts in newsreader or have a local nntpchan node, it will speed things up. This requires much more resources than just browsing someone else's node and might be preferable in some situations, but I wouldn't do it that way on my laptop when travelling.

Then you go back to overview to see what other threads there are. Usenet is a nice thing, because of how the references work. You are able to keep track of a discussion of hundreds of posts. Well, nntpchan breaks this, so overview is mostly useless for that: all threads are flat, with only reference to OP last time I checked. To fix, we would need to hack all the newsreaders to keep track of the references that are in the messages (because they are different from the References header that NNTP provides). Which needs the reader to read all posts, causing huge bandwidth because of attachments. Or the server would have to scan the post for references and include them in References: header.

Another solution would be to load only the text message first with a special command. (I think IMAP has a partial fetch feature like that, but it never worked anywhere.) Or we could simply use NNTP as intended, using headers correctly and putting binaries in .binaries. Right now nntpchan puts all the usability to the web front-end and it will likely stay that way forever.

I don't have a simple solution for thumbnails that works for both NNTP and web clients in nntpchan. Either it's complicated, or the newsreader has to load the whole file every time.

But try it yourself. Maybe you will find a better way to solve this. Maybe this is all just autism.

Probably the best bet. Interesting, though, the rest of the post.
I think the purely p2pchan is more of a meme than nntpchan. Better to have trusted hosts, and trusting that host to peer with trustworthy hosts, than having a whole gaggle of faggots sending traffic to your machine.

We don't need another chan. We have Endchan already.

I'm not a fan of Lynxchan.

Explain pls

A lot of it is unorganized and ugly, the report system is absolute crap, the logging system is absolute crap, and the post controls are insane. Messages are confusing and unfriendly and routinely lie to you, and it redirects you to pages before they exist because properly dealing with node's asynchronicity is hard.

Do you want me to elaborate? I have a lot to say about this.

Let's elaborate on the logging system and post controls first. if you like.

Checked

Infinity and Infinity Next have a per-board logging system. You go to 8ch.net/log.php?board=tech and you see all the moderator actions that apply to Holla Forums.

Lynxchan has a per-date logging system. You go to an index of all the report pages and click a date and then you get a (not very organized, it doesn't use a table) list of all the moderator actions that happened on that day for the entire site (see endchan.xyz/.global/logs/2016-08-27.html for example). That's inconvenient in 90% of cases. When you check the logs it's usually because you want to know if a board moderator has been active lately or what happened to that one thread or something like that. With Lynxchan's logging system you might have to look at two or three pages for something that happened recently, and you have to dig through a lot more things you aren't interested in. That gets worse if the site grows. It annoyed me enough to write a shitty script to generate useful logs:
8ch.tech/endlog/tech.html

Another odd thing about the logging system is that it's thre reason you need to fill in a captcha to apply a ban. Without the captcha you could bring down the site by applying lots of bans because it would overload the logging system.

Now, the post controls. I've attached a screenshot of the way they look on Endchan.

The post controls cram everything into a single confusing form with two submit buttons. Depending on which submit button you use other fields are either mandatory, optional, or ignored. If you access the page in moderator mode you get a different form with twice as many submit buttons, but you can actually perform the moderator action of deleting posts using the regular post controls, and using the same button that regular users use to delete their own posts. Some actions require filling in the captcha, others don't. There's some additional text explaining when to fill in the captcha in vanilla Lynxchan but Endchan removed it for some reason.

The main problem here is elements that are used for multiple things so that you can no longer tell what belongs to what. The "Delete" button is for users to delete their own posts, but also for moderators to delete other people's posts, and one of those functions requires the "Password" field while the other one doesn't. The "Reason" field is for report reasons, but I think it's also for ban reasons (while the "Ban message" field is for leaving those red bold messages on posts after a ban). The "Global" checkbox applies to reports but it might very well apply to bans too. The "Password" field is for filling in the password you entered when you made the post, and it has nothing to do with account passwords. I have no idea whether having "Remove media from post" enabled has an effect if you press the ban button. It's a clusterfuck of confusing options.

Well-designed post controls separate these things. They don't make you use a single form for five unrelated things. On Infinity and Infinity Next each post has a button for deleting it, a button for applying a ban (which directs you to a separate banning page), a button for removing a file, a button for spoiling a file, and so on.

Lynxchan is an autismal clusterfuck of terrible design decisions. And that doesn't even cover the part where the moron uses memegod(gridfs) for literally fucking everything when the documentation explicitly states that he's using it wrong. Oh, but that's just opinions according to him. The developers wouldn't know how to use the software they themselves developed.

web scale

OK, thanks for explaining. It looks bad indeed.

We can fix these, right? Let's go file some bug reports and start hacking.

Lynx spergs out about DoS when you try to change most of that.
Also, you can't change the gridfs implementation without almost a complete rewrite.
Also, the dedup implementation he hacked on is so disgusting it makes codemonkey's dedup tim field hack look good.

It's not worth it.
Go contribute to vichan now that it has nntpchan integration or integrate nntpchan into Next, if you have the time.

is Jim a jew?

The answer to that is the answers to the following questions.

guess which board is the top board in librechan right now? you might not believe it

librechan.net/jp/

WE ANIME NOW

It should be possible to fix almost all of it, but there is other software that already does it better and Lynx already knows about all of those problems and doesn't think they're worth fixing.

Plague or cholera?

Clinton or Trump?

Lynx or Next?

Easy. Got another?

I know and it has a massive PPH

make Holla Forums on librechan not shit and I'll join you
just keep your pedo shit on your pedo shit boards

Holla Forums on Librechan is not shit at the moment, just slow. There was weird pedo shit at first but that stopped and now there's a dedicated owner.

It's not my first choice for an alternative but I don't mind it.

So the engine that was too expensive to run for 2ch is too expensive to run for Josh "mom protect me from the bad tranny" Moon.

What a surprise.

no, he just didn't have the money or the time to spare, compared to actually making money.
he was running it on a more expensive vps months ago, and it started shitting itself when he switched to VC's smallest cockbox and wasn't actively updating it for a month before that really.

also, if the proper benchmarks (without the captcha) are anything to go by, it'd run just fine even without dynamic caching on Holla Forums.
40 requests/second per core, which works out to 320 requests/second on each machine they have. add document caching, fix the captcha, it'd run no problem.

call me when they contain tech support and recommendations to stickies.

wew

No, he just wanted more time to focus on his kiwifarms site where he's e-famous.

The software didn't fail, Jim just tried to rip off the crowdfunders by changing the license or making Josh sign over the rights to him. When he wouldn't do either, there was a big campaign to make sure that there was no support from him.
Even the cripple regrets what he did.
Jim is a fat kike.

Hey, tripfag, where the fuck are you? If you promised something then fucking do it.

which tripfag?

That's a pretty good joke, Josh.

the software was great you ignorant nigger.

Laravel failed because it didn't have good pgsql support, Josh had to fork and fix the framework because the autists at 2channel wanted postgres for when they were inevitably going to take over the site/the cripple dies. That ate up a month of development time, and they're stuck with mysql and a broken schema now that the project wasn't deployed.

The software couldn't get the required throughput in the end because of hotdud's captcha. It was using too many resources on page load, and this wasn't determined until he moved back into the US.

And in the end that Josh had no money to stay and finish it because he had two options, both of which were fucked up by sociopaths:

1) Jim was a sociopath because he required Josh to sign over any and all rights to Infinity Next in exchange for employment, which meant he wanted to rip off the hundred or so people who'd donated.

2) Hotwheels was a sociopath because he took some retarded, private IRC drama and blew it up into something it didn't need to be: told Ron not to hire Josh, belittled him and told that he'd pay StephenLynx the remaining thousand or so dollars of user donations for Holla Forums that were remaining.

By the way, Hotwheels instead pocketed that money after the shitstorm.

So, "failed"? No, it's just that complete rewrites by relying on a framework and a shitty captcha will inevitably have some roadblocks you need to work around. Development time is faster with a framework, and using pre-made shit, but you tend to overestimate completion.

So, would it have worked if we weren't using hotwheels captcha, and captchas weren't being loaded in-line just for the usability for non-javascript users? Yes, it would have. It wouldn't even need document caching.

How fucking hard is it to write an imageboard?

How involved is it to write an imageboard with all of Holla Forums's options from scratch in less than a year, solving all of the issues that were had with the previous codebase, and adding various niceties along the way?

Very involved.

Fuck off with your bullshit. Josh had an additional year to work on it after blaming the captcha for his software's performance nightmare and yet the software still was so slow and shit that he had to shut down his own site. Figure it out, Josh lied. He always lies and shifts blame because he's a lolcow manchild that can't take responsibility.

Are you somehow unable to tell time? This was only months ago.
And no, he didn't work on it much.
Performance was 320 request/second on a decent machine without the captcha.
What needs to be done is integrate a restful, fast local captcha service on a dedicated machine, and integrate document caching.
Neither are really fun tasks when you're not being paid and there's no need for it when the major site you originally wrote it for burned the bridge and wasn't going to use it.
It was much faster on when it wasn't on the smallest cockbox VPS available. He moved it there to save money. That, and the fact that he removed cloudflare.

So no, you fucking retard. You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

But anyways, seeing what codemonkey accomplished, fucking up the API and image hover to save meager disk space, and didn't solve the problem of uploading files in the first place, we can expect nothing really exciting to be developed.

Community developers solved the problem of slow building independently, and did a better job at it than gookmonkey did. With the smart build, and odili's redis backend, it was all they needed for a stop gap.

But Jim thinks that he and his incompetent developers are the only ones with any ideas, and they shun the community by closing up the source of Holla Forums.

Fuck them, fuck Jim, and fuck Hotwheels at this point.

Sites like slashdot in the '90s were run on 1/100th of that VPS with >100 times the traffic and ran great. Excuses excuses excuses. You're a loser, Josh. No one's going to take the bait and fix your wreck for you as it's unfixable.

lmao
no

Since we're going to play this game of accusing people of being someone they're not:
You're a loser, Jim. You failed in porn, you failed at your internet radio business and you stored 50,000 people's unencrypted credit card info, CVVs, names, phone numbers, addresses, and posts they'd made for years on your server. Then you tried to blame that on Hiroyuki.

No one's going to take the bait and believe that you're a good guy just because you offer some meager rack space and some desktop hardware, while closing up the codebase and shunning the community.

You have the loser imageboard, you had an opportunity to really compete but now Holla Forums is fading into obscurity and even the "pedophile" imageboard (librechan) created by a mod you pissed off has more activity.

It must really sting that Japanese users, the community you're supposed to serve what with owning 2channel and all, flocked to a "pedophile" imageboard (librechan) instead of a board here.

You're right, they didn't have anything remotely close to 256M back then. Other than that you're a clueless faggot. Why don't you go start a chan with that great JoshSoft and fuck off? We already told you guys to fuck off to 16chan but you keep crawling back because you're too stupid and lazy to run anything yourselves.

You're so full of shit, old man. I know for a fact that they load balanced multiple webservers from gigabit uplinks with fucking dual P4 Xeons, and 2GB of memory each. In fact, they probably had more active memory than Holla Forums has right now. They had 16 web servers all with that hardware.

You are a fucking retard.

This isn't even going into database servers, too. 2x Dual opteron machines with 8GB of memory. And that was just for the readers. Another two for the masters.

It's funny to watch an old man opine on shit he doesn't understand, despite being in the hosting business.

I'm not Josh. But if it makes you feel better about yourself to defend a fat fuck who shunned the community and closed up the source, and who stored 50,000 unencrypted credit card records, and wanted to rip off a hundred or so people who donated money for his own selfish reasons because he can't handle a fucking copyleft software license, be my guest.
We should all just move to librechan, really.

Gigabit uplinks, P4 Xeons, and 2GiB boxes weren't a thing in 1997, '90s kid. But nice try.

Plus, it appears to have Japanese posters who've migrated there and didn't go to Jimchan. I wonder why that is.
Maybe Jim-san isn't so hip with the kids over in Japan, after causing so much grief to people by storing their credit card information incorrectly.

1 GigE was certainly around in the 00s, and I'm mainly talking about 2006 when they were at their peak. In the 90s they'd probably have the same memory set as Holla Forums at the moment.
Originally they were saturating a T1 line and hosting on a dual pentium, and certainly not 64MB of memory, probably around 2GB of memory.

Either way, you're comparing apples and oranges. One was originally a static site with flat text files, and they moved to mostly dynamic bits with all the hardware.

Infinity Next did not have document caching done, because the person writing it had to leave the country due to not having any more funds to finish this.

The reason for this is because, to hire him, you required signing over all the rights because you're a fat kike.
And then hotwheels fucked up the remaining employment opportunity, because he's a sociopath just like yourself.

It's funny though, you've made the cripple sociopath cry multiple times by yelling at him. And he still sucks your dick.
I wonder why, is it because you're the only one who gives him jobs in a third world country? Sounds like he's under duress right there.

Actually, doesn't Holla Forums have like 7x haslel desktops with 8GB of memory each, maybe 32GB on a few more machines?
Serves less traffic than slashdot in the 90s as well. What a pitiful architecture, wew.

Oh, and their colo that they moved to shortly after in 98-99 certainly had something better than a dual pentium box and a t1 line.

why couldn't it have been that fucking nntp meme site

Nigger 16chan's Holla Forums had more PPH than 50. 50 PPH is terrible.

Pls return ;_;

What are you on about?
/jp alone has ~700 PPH right now and it peeked at 1600+ PPH the other day.

tripfags are just attention whores, filter them and move on

TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS

Apparently the sudden influx of Japanese users on librechan is due to Futaba getting ddosed over the last few days.

All you need to do is get on it and start memeing 2hu-ch.org

I can't wait for the conspiracy theory from dipshits like about how Josh killed 4chan too.

except using PHP, that was wrong

Will this mark the end of 8ch infighting?
just kidding, of course it fucking won't

All web development is cancer, doesn't matter what you use. PHP works fine as far as cancer goes

hmmm

At this point I wouldn't mind having a chan as a desktop application instead.

Dank meme

Remember to make it in assembly. I will start working on the logo.