RFID Credit Card Chips

Let's have a thread about this, Holla Forums. Particularly how shitty they are at protecting anything. Why are they implementing this? Given security concerns before other drawbacks it makes no sense. The only way to keep your info from getting jacked by some asshat with an rfid scanner us literally to line your wallet with tinfoil. It saved my ass just now when some filthy spic tried lifting it using some pos off of ebay.

Maybe they want us to get stolen from?

Other urls found in this thread:

news.mit.edu/2016/hack-proof-rfid-chips-0203
youtu.be/JABJlvrZWbY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Few cards have RFID anymore, most cards have a chip as shown in the picture, this is contact-based. RFID is mostly used for mobile payments now, which present a one-time use credit card number to the terminal, you can't capture the signal and re-use it, and with Apple and Android Pay, the signal is only sent when the payment method is activated on the phone.

sage for stupid OP

Or buy a RFID proof wallet

incorrect, it made a resurgence as "tap'n'go" or "paywave".

I left my card in my car by mistake and it melted, destroying the magnet strip and the rfid, but the chip still works and the other two are useless so w/e.

Paving the way for a currency system that's purely digital.

Eh, economy will collapse one way or another. We'll just go back to barter, and gold after that, and the cycle repeats.

wut? all contactless transactions are fully insured (at least in my country, dunno bout you burgers), so it's their loss if you get stolen from

what they want is for you to spend more money, since easier payment methods mean you think less about your purchasing and use their system more naturally

there are people working on making RFID more secure
>news.mit.edu/2016/hack-proof-rfid-chips-0203
but that won't mean shit if the NFC meme becomes standard like the hipsters want

My guess, it's probably cheaper to make vs. magnetic strips that eventually wear out. It sure doesn't help for securing online purchases.

Almost every new credit card in the us has one retard

Was meant for

In the us they are forcing chip transactions. There is an option for the strip but it is going away. I know Walmart will force the chip if you have it, and some other big retailers are too.

Can you punch a hole through that and would it still be useable when you swipe it?

I've met the unfortunate fate of having a bank that forced new cards upon us all with chips in them.

Then why put both on the new cards?

You won't be able to swipe it if it has or has had a chip. You'd just be turning it into a piece of plastic with numbers that is only good for online stuff.

Chip != RFID/NFC chip. Most cards have the chip with the contacts (shown in the image) now, but very few have a contactless "paywave" chip anymore, at least, in the US. Not worth including because so few retailers take it and people worry about it being safe to use. There was a huge push for contactless cards several years ago, but that's died off in favor of smartphone payments.

If it is picked up with an RFID scanner, then it is probably an RFID chip

Correct, but the gold chip shown (and discussed) is a different kind of chip, you insert it into the reader and contacts interface with it directly. Most cards have this now, but don't have RFID.

Interesting.

It is a security feature. It prevents people from being able to steal the information from the magstripe (which is laughably easy to do, credit card 'dumps' are available on dnm for $6.99) and make fake cards for fraudulent transactions.

this is pretty ubiquitous in Australia for a few years now. it does not seem to have caused any problems. you can set a limit on how much can be spent per transaction ($100 by default) or per day after which you have to enter your pin number. You can also set restrictions when using a phone like requiring the phone to be unlocked or requiring a pin under certain circumstances. The range that it works in is less then 2cm so it's not like people will be reading your card when walking past or from the other side of the room.
Makes using drive-throughs and vending machines a lot easier. it's one of those things you don't appreciate until you find a shop that does not have it and you have to go through the routine of inserting your card and putting in your pin number.
it's a small convenience but one with no real down sides that i can see.

so if i wrap my card with tinfoil, i'm invincible?

just don't let strangers on the street take your wallet out out your pocket and press the correct end of your credit card against a payment machine for 3 seconds.

so wrap the card in tinfoil right

i guess you could just carry cash but then when someone steals your wallet out of your pocket your won't get your money back (max temporary loss from passpass is $400) from the bank in a couple of days. or you could just use a regular credit card and hope that the thief can not pass your signature and charge $5000 to your card.

oh shit!

More like 30 seconds. Smart card is slow as balls.

In my experience (just about everything i have bought in the last 3 seconds) it takes about 3 seconds.

*last 3 years

Here is a breakdown of chip and pin and some of its vulnerabilities if you have extra time. Some have been fixed since this was posted, but it does a good job getting past the marketing lies of how it actually works.
youtu.be/JABJlvrZWbY