>The agency is known for designating world heritage sites such as Syria's...

Zachary Richardson
Zachary Richardson

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41598991
The US is pulling out of the UN's cultural organisation Unesco, accusing it of "anti-Israel" bias.
The agency is known for designating world heritage sites such as Syria's Palmyra and the US Grand Canyon.
The state department said it would establish an observer mission at the Paris-based organisation to replace its representation.
Unesco head Irina Bokova said the withdrawal was a matter of "profound regret".
The US withdrawal represented a loss to the "UN family" and to multilateralism, Ms Bokova added.
In 2011 the US cancelled its budget contribution to Unesco in protest at its decision to grant full membership to the Palestinians.
The US withdrawal is also motivated by a desire to save money, Foreign Policy magazine reported.
US President Donald Trump has criticised what he sees as a disproportionate contribution by the US to UN institutions. The US funds 22% of the UN's regular budget and 28% of UN peacekeeping.
Unesco is in the process of choosing a new leader, with Qatari and French former ministers Hamad bin Abdulaziz al-Kawari and Audrey Azoulay neck-and-neck in the contest to replace Ms Bokova.
has anyone in history even been cucked worse than /pol/acks who supported trump?

All urls found in this thread:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41598991
Jack Bell
Jack Bell

Man, fuck Twittler. Fucking anti-semitic piece of shit. Why won't someone think about how the Jewish people feel for once? Do you know what they've been through?

John Wood
John Wood

What the usa has to contribute to the unesco except money?

Colton Gray
Colton Gray

Usa shouts at Unesco "Don't you ever insult my boyfriend ever again!" and storms out of the room with Israel in tow

Julian Morgan
Julian Morgan

Fucking faggot. Trump is a fucking jew lover. Read the op

Hudson Diaz
Hudson Diaz

The US funds 22% of the UN's regular budget and 28% of UN peacekeeping.
That sounds pretty fucking reasonable actually.

John Kelly
John Kelly

How does canada pay less than brazil? Fucking lazy leafs.

Gavin Rivera
Gavin Rivera

that's nominal gdp…

Jose Collins
Jose Collins

How does canada make less than brazil. Fucking lazy leafs

:^)

Kayden Hall
Kayden Hall

It's sarcasm m8

Ian Watson
Ian Watson

Honestly, I think this is not only an attempt to save some money, but it's also likely to be an initial step towards privatizing the US Unesco sites.

Lucas Cox
Lucas Cox

As soon as kim finish with the US will take care of israel for us too

James Ross
James Ross

This is a really fucking bad idea because we just lost a lot of fucking education programs for public schools in the blink of an eye.

Nobody should have the power to do this shit without outside checks and balances, especially America.

Julian Hill
Julian Hill

but the question is; do american politicians care about schooling for poor people ?

Charles Rivera
Charles Rivera

NOPE

Evan Turner
Evan Turner

he's actually doing this to get back at the jews cant you see its all 4d chess

Julian Foster
Julian Foster

It doesn't just protect that…the US has given, and in return gets, protection for all historical monuments, and the ability for students to learn and travel to them. Be it in their city or whatever on a field trip, to funding protection for ancient ruins that might get blown the fuck up by a terrorist.

Fuck, UNESCO even had a program for insuring children have safe drinking water in public places they go to, like Museums and their schools.

A bunch of shit you took for granted growing up is gone now. Just because we gotta protect Israel from bias, we gotta protect Israel from bias, we gotta protect Israel from bias. Protect Israel at all costs.

This. Is a very fucking bad call.

John Brown
John Brown

I personally wouldn't put much stock in the official reason that they put out for pulling out of Unesco. It probably had a small part in why this happened, but I highly doubt that this is much more than a pretext for this decision. It fits the trend of cutting down "unnecessary" programs that the Trump administration has pursued so far. I also would be shocked if this wasn't done with an eye for future privatization. But I agree, this will have horrible effects down the road.

Josiah Thompson
Josiah Thompson

do american politicians care about
unless your talking about money the answer is probably no

Landon Edwards
Landon Edwards

As spiteful as it is inconsequential.

Xavier Torres
Xavier Torres

It's pretty consequential. The US no longer actively protects UNESCO historical sites, that leads to them being a fucking free for all, because nobody really funded UNESCO more than the US. The EU has to pick it up. And now the US doesn't have the surprising amount of benefits UNESCO had.

It may feel like nothing, but this is a substantial fuck up. We shouldn't just be jaded about everything.

Daniel Turner
Daniel Turner

You are right that it will be bad for historical sites. Someone supra already pointed to looming privatization. I was thinking more along the lines of Israel-Palestine, where the US-Israel axis is only getting more isolated, and dangerous, no matter how many fits they throw.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page