Holyrood just passed a referendum bill

PALS, EIT'S HAPPENANG.

Are you ready for the newest (and quite lefty) state?

Other urls found in this thread:

politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/jeremy-corbyn/news/82530/jeremy-corbyn-snp-government-passing
youtube.com/watch?v=XYIMvEvmwSs
independent.ie/business/brexit/there-will-be-no-return-to-the-hard-border-theresa-mays-letter-to-trigger-article-50-states-she-does-not-want-brexit-to-harm-ireland-35575893.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Scotland will be Neolibs vs NazBols, just like Sweden and the rest of the nords.
Good for them either way.

if the intention is for Scotland to stay in the EU I don't know how long it'll be "quite lefty"

That nobody has to even address.

I might actually move there sometime if this goes through. They speak English (just about) and it's nice and cool weather. Plus I could probably get citizenship. I dunno, maybe they'd want to keep us Anglos out, haha.

Aye, thats my plan too. See if I can get a foot in the door through uni or something.

If you're living in the country when the Union breaks up you are de facto Scottish.

The EU won't let them in. They can't "stay in the EU", because "Scotland" doesn't exist as a national entity, much less one that is a part of the EU.

Elaborate

What would qualify as living in the country?

I'm sure that's true but I don't see any way for me to live there right now. It would be nice if all Brits had citizenship by default.

There is debate about that question. Not particularly loud, but it's there. Up to and including a second referendum on whether an independent Scotland would rejoin the EU. There's plenty of other options, though.

Scotland, being part of the EU now, already meets most of the criteria to join. We will probably get dropped out, but there's been just as many, if not more, EU politicians and bureaucrats saying Scotland's membership wouldn't be a problem. The Spanish won't block it because they don't want to even imply that the Catalonians are in the same situation as Scotland within the UK.

They will if they want the EU to not end.

Just shatter the union and set the precedent so we can get our 6 counties back

Nobody wants them back

Is anyone else hyped for Yugoslavia 2.0: Karma is a bitch?

It's fucking nothing.
The bill simply allows Sturgeon to "begin negotiations on a referendum" with Westminster, and it's worthless because May has already stated that those negotiations aren't happening.

Somehow I don't think there's going to be a Nazi masturbation fantasy between Anglos and Scots

May says a lot of things.

I think they will just to spite Britain tbh.
Then there's also Spain which is run by conservatives who are scared of Catalonia, so that's a problem.

They will, there is not a Scottish UKIP yet. Opposition to Brexit is the main motive behind a second Indy in the first place.

Well now the Sec for Scotland is saying that a referendum would have to happen "in 2020 after brexit": which the Scotsnats would all be for.

uhh yeah we do

There's been no distinct swing in opinion for another referendum and the notion the SNP are 'left' is ridiculous.

The Independence campaigners would far rather it happens after we apparently know what Brexit will involve, but before it actually happens.

Last time round you just had to be a British, Commonwealth or EU citizen and resident in Scotland. And over 16 and not in prison, obviously.

The SNP are not wholly left, but the broader independence movement certainly leans that way. I'm fairly certain that post independence the SNP would break up regardless, without its unifying cause, the differences in politics between them would be far too much.

Good for scotland. There's no point in staying in a union that is way to the right of most scots. That includes labour voters.

Do it.

Also, Nicola Sturgeon is the only politician in the entire UK who knows what she's doing.

Unless they also establish their own currency, they will be all kinds of fucked by the Brussels junta.

No way. They already meet the criteria, and they would be let in as purely a political move against the UK.

it takes a few decades until cheap euro credit becomes crippling debt, they'll be fine, better than Britain defo.

There is a lot of money sloshing around looking for a hight ror… But they'll also have to carry a chunk of the UK debnts. At any rate, all the more power to them.

please, PLEASE let may be remembered in history books as the PM who lost scotland

To be fair she just inherited the problems Dave didn't want to deal with

On the other hand, scotland leaving means she definitely stays PM for a very long time

Would SNP back a Corbyn Chancelorship anyway?

The media coverage is so fucked on these issue the best I can say is a tossup. Without them I don't see how he gets it regardless

All Scotland is north sea oil and heroin addicts.
As soon as the oil runs out who would want heroin addicts?

Independence has no impact on who wins a UK general election, one of the many reasons to vote for independence if you are Scottish and enjoy functioning democracy.

Scotland has STV too right?
Sounds comfy as fuck.

Spain will block it because they don't want Catalonia thinking they can go independent and be part of the EU.

Spain isn't leaving the EU and current priority seems to be to penalize the UK for leaving in the first place

putting faith in the tartan Tories.

Spain won't block it, try to see things past ideology.

No, they have a PR system that has FPTP constituencies that are adjusted by PR regions. STV for local though, Glasgow Council has some legit commies on it.

Why would they want to be in the EU anyways. Whats the point of being independent if your going to have your sovereignty overtaken by an international body. As for the people saying the EU is leftist. It isn't. The EU is neolibral to the core. Leftism has lip service in the EU, but no real power.

Holyrood uses FPTP constituencies + party list PR. Local council elections use STV.

The most left-wing thing in Glasgow City Council is a handful of Greens. Hopefully more after May 4th.

that's my constituency, who else here glasgow?

You should try getting a Pirate Party up.
Greens are pleb-tier.

No parties tbh, debating whether or not I can justify voting in this purely as a way to carve up an imperial state and localise. Although the bourg referendum is a fucking joke and idk if i want to take part

Right-Libertarians vote, I don't see why Left-Libertarians shouldn't.

for me it goes like this, i have come to the conclusion that bourg liberal democracy is A) Illegitimate and B) Ultimately presided over by private interest groups. If its illegitimate then my vote legitimises it and if its presided over by private interest groups my vote means nothing. It will be a media wash out whatever. Do I want to legitimise this private interest validation?

Besides that, my Brexit vote was stolen by voter fraud and the police never even got back to me so…. I've kinda lost faith in the whole thing

What kind of horseshit response is that?

Greater Glasgow area. I tend to vote for Greens when they run here, but I refuse to pay digs to any party.

If Scotland become independent I want a fucking referendum in the North to join em. We've got more in common with them than Southern twats. Also, then England can be reduced to Tory Middle-Englanders who can keep voting Tory till they get the fucking message the absolute pricks.

That's what a significant part of the Indy camp want, but it isn't good strategy besides, who says there'll be an EU left to join in 2020

Lucky for some. I'm hoping that the SNP (maybe the Greens too, although I'm not so sure of their prospects) manage to dislodge the Labour-Tory coalition that has benighted my area.

Don't be dense. Whether Spain leaves the EU is irrelevant. The point is that Catalonia would feel a lot more confident in separating from Spain if they knew they could remain in the EU and have access to the common market etc.

are you interested in organisation outside of parties?

Does Spain have that sort of influence? Can't France and Germany just tell them to stfu and get in line?

Any EU member can veto the application of a new member.

Words cannot actually express my hatred of the home counties and their never-ending hardon for the fucking Tories.

I kek'd

Let's see, First the Scots, then the Irish, maybe the Welsh, and perhaps Cornwall. Isle of Man I personally have doubts so they might just do a Kosovo

The problem with England as a unified country is that these days it's only unified by language and a common history. Anywhere north or Sheffield is more or less a post-industrial shithole where everyone votes Labour, and anywhere below is people doing comparatively better and voting Tory. If you live ine thr North you've got pretty much nowt in common with people in London, Kent, Essex, etc. although we do have a lot in common with Cornwall and Devonshire due to the fact they're also rural shitholes. Too bad they vote LibDem and Tory all the time, just from visting they seem like they should all be Labour, but nah.

Who gets the nukes when states split up?

Obviously England. cf. USSR and Russia.

To be honest I feel I have very little in common with any of the people who happen to live in the same geographical region as me. Most of them would gladly send me to prison just for what I talk about on Holla Forums, so I can't really think of them as anything other than the enemy. The only community I belong to is a disparate group of shitposters and autists spread across the whole planet.

Same. I especially feel this way after about 5 hours playing eroge.

Has the EU really been far even as decided when it comes to Scotland to use even go want to do look more like

Yet the big base is in Scotland

No, the Irish don't.

It does lel, England and Wales will be Tory forever you dope.

Scotland probably give them over to england as a bargaining chip.

Are you the downloading communism guy who helped with my manifesto?

Unlikely. Corbyn sees through their bullshit and calls them on it.

politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/jeremy-corbyn/news/82530/jeremy-corbyn-snp-government-passing

The SNP certainly can't be called leftist unless leftism is defined as opposing everything the tories try to do and as the the Scottish people, I see nothing to suggest we are really any more leftist than the rest of the UK.

I supported independence in 2014. I still fundamentally do in principal but the timing and Sturgeon's general approach is just cynical. The UK is by far in a way our biggest trading partner. I don't get shunning England to try cozy up to a faltering union and see it as base politicking.

now we just need north irland to become part of irland again

It could go either way really. The SNP is largely just to give Scotland a say in the UK paliament but if that was no longer an issue I don't know what they would do. Would it just dissipate and be replaced by other parties?

Anyway if somehow an ok left government gets into power I might try and move up there. I've always loved Edinburgh but might be a little expensive up there.

England would fucked if Scotland joins EU and is able to trade freely with rest of Europe.

Hey hothead, do you know how tight a general election has to be before Scottish constituencies matter? ENG/WAL should get the Tory governments they vote for.

:^)

Paid attention to north of Ireland politics in like, Idk, the last month or so?

Scotland's basic political axis is to defend the decaying ruins of social democracy after it got the shit kicked out of it in the 80s.
Neoliberal like everyone else, but nicer about it.

The EU would almost certainly let Scotland in. It already meets all the criteria, the Spanish Veto is a meme, and a commitment to join the Euro would be purely notional (like Sweden's), not practical.
(Though maybe they will go for EEA membership instead, idk.)

The SNP are closer to social democrats than any other Scottish party.
(Scottish Labour are a weird mix of dead and chancing it, sure they offered a tax rise - but only because they wanted the SNP to commit political suicide and economic sabotage by matching it. Income tax devolution is a meme.)

youtube.com/watch?v=XYIMvEvmwSs
no. so long as the UK recognizes Scottish independence, Spain will do so.
(The whole point on the Catalan thing, and the reason Spain doesn't recognize Kosovo, is because they think central government should have to approve it.)

Name a better party. :^)
(If you say they're all cunts, fair enough.)

Because the two aren't similar unions.
You can be Sweden in the EU, you can't be Sweden in the UK.

They don't have the powers to be left at Holyrood. It's a meme. Devolution is a purely administrative exercise.
The SNP have been consistently more social-democratic than Scottish Labour with the hilariously limited practical power that exists at Holyrood. (If we call it a graduate endowment, it's not tuition fees!) and the same is true at a council level (funny how local authorities can control schools, and all the worst performing ones are under Labour local authorities…)

Corbyn makes a tit of himself when he speaks about Scottish politics.

Theresa May was saying post-Brexit Northern Ireland will have a hard border with the Republic. Which would destroy their economy. You have to factor that in.

When the brxit deal is finally done the polls will swing back to no as the scots realise the world hasn't actually ended despite sturgeons promises.

When?

independent.ie/business/brexit/there-will-be-no-return-to-the-hard-border-theresa-mays-letter-to-trigger-article-50-states-she-does-not-want-brexit-to-harm-ireland-35575893.html

Though I do almost feel bad for May. If she promises no hard border here then that nippy little cunt Sturgeon will start asking why Scotland in the EU out the UK can't too have a soft border.