JRPG thread

JRPG thread. Recommend me some JRPGs which aren't complete weeb tier. Pic sort of related, about to try out Tactics Ogre, looks pretty good. Games with an Open World/World Map/Exploration would be great, if those even exist.

Hope you like grinding and autism tier micro mechanics that aren't explained coz Tactics Ogre and FFTactics are utter shit.
Play some classics:
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound/Mother 3
Lunar 1 and 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
FF6 and 7
Skies of Arcadia
Dragon Quest 8
Paper Mario 1 and 2
Phantasy Star IV
Valkyrie Profile
etc

the games you listed are fun, atleast the ones of them i've played, but you're a faggot for not liking TO and FFT. FFT wasn't even complicated, must be sad being so bad at vidya that you think FFT and TO required 'autism tier micro'. noob.

Are real RPGs to complicated for you?

Fire Emblem is technically an SRPG but its story is very nice and europe-based. Beautiful and fun. Played it 5 times, considered playing it a 6th but I didn't want it to get stale for me, singleplayer games usually only get 1-2 playthroughs from me.

xanadu next

This. JRPG loving autists will never know the true joy of choosing a dialogue option to congratulate and accept a transexual for their life choices, or engage in a homosexual relationship with such deep conversation options like "I'm hungry".

RPG codex please leave.

Why aren't they wearing helmets

Nah I just have friends to play actual tabletop with, that and I can see the value in a good story over a subpar tabletop.

What kind of Tabletop RPG do you play anyway?
in b4 pathshitter

No, you are shit. Apart from Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire II, Terranigma and Dragon Quest III are also must-play JRPGs for the SNES

Trails in the Sky, and Explorers of Sky(?) too.

Yikes!

shut the fuck up queer

MAXIMUM OVERBAIT

For FF games, try FFIX and FFX after you get done with VI, VII and Tactics. FFIX is more of a classic FF game, while FFX is love-it-or-hate-it story and character-wise, but it has amazing art, a cool battle system, a great soundtrack and sexy waifus. Definitely play Chrono Trigger, as others have suggested, and then play Chrono Cross if you like, but be warned that it has many differences from Trigger. It has a fucking amazing soundtrack though, arguably the best in gaming history. If you like mecha, play Xenogears/saga/blade. And if you want something that wasn't made by Squaresoft/Enix or an offshoot of it, try Shadow Hearts and its predecessor Koudelka.

cmon man they have a bunch of magic guys that kill you with magic and you cant do anything about it thats not good game design

that's subjective and entirely up to personal preference.

its not, a good soundtrack works in tandem with the production. If the production fails to capitalize on it, it's ultimately devalued and hurt as a soundtrack.

The minimalist panzer dragoon saga soundtrack with its tribal beats, mild jingles and soft acoustics and howls of wind is far better than anything in the chrono cross soundtrack because it capitalizes on the game play itself.

vagrant story is nice, it's kind of a mix of a rpg, variety of weapons and the combat system is about chaining attacks by properly timing a button press with the moment an attack lands (a la paper mario) and resident evil 1 exploration (3rd person, areas locked until u find a key to unlock them and platform-like puzzles).

user I respect what you're saying but your post makes me feel like I'm reading a hipster's review

I don't get this. I know people generally like Vagrant Story but the little I've seen just oozes boredom. Is it something I just have to sit down and play for an hour or two to really get into it?

This thread should be getting more replies.
A pox on the waifu cult.

Yea. At first you don't understand how the weapon and risk arts work so you're frustrated because you can't do any damage.

Pic related does timing-based combat better though.

Only its a shame how short Vagrant Story is and that there isn't and likely never will be a sequel.

FFTactics is a mediocre TRPG that only FF fans with very little experience with strategy games like.

Is that so? Would you mind naming something a lot better then? I'm interested now.

This is just off the top of my head, but Tactics Ogre, Shining Force 2, Just Breed and the majority of games developed by Career Soft for Jap stuff. Jagged Alliance 1&2 and X-COM for western games.

Hmmm. Kind of a stagnant genre.

Elaborate

And CRPG fans will never know the joy of playing Wizardry clones with the same storyline since 1980.

Just the way he used adjectives and those specific word choices feel like something that would out of a basic pretentious hipster

user, i never said it was innovative just that it was nice but vagrant story is the first rpg i've seen that you could chain your attacks indefinitely as long as you time it well (like crazy 70+ chain attacks) . it has kind of a weird learning curve and the story is slow at the beginning so yeah, i guess you would have to invest a bit of time first to appreciate it.

well, i would just run around with 1hp, a ranged weapon and using that skill that deals more dmg the less health you have and one that adds dmg the more dmg u did while chaining so even if i was using the shittiest ranged weapon i would still kill everything as long as i didn't fuck up the chains. probably not the best way to play the game but i liked the thrill.

I was just talking about the instrumentation lol, stop being retarded

All console games of the N64 and PS1 era are like that. Some of those games are just really slow.