Attention Slaves! You Own Nothing

Daily reminder that if you paid for games on Steam or any other service that requires you to accept a license agreement, then you do not own the games. I am sorry to break this to you, user. If you own more than 10 games, you were probably born in the 80s or 90s

If a game is on my HDD and I can run it in offline mode, then I own it and I couldn't give a fuck.

I actually removed every game from my Steam account and no longer use the service. I wrote down my library and have been slowly pirating them or buying them on GoG if they're really worth it. The vast majority were not even worth pirating though and I'm glad they're no longer attached to me in any way.

If it isn’t in a big cardboard box, then it isn’t real, retard

This is the case for every game your purchase on every system. You're paying for the license to use the software; not the disc or its contents. There's nothing stopping you from backing up your game to a disc, flash drive or external hard drive (which is a feature built into steam) and then throwing a crack in there as well to bypass steam.

Dubs thread.

Daily reminder that unless you're north korean or Iranian, your money isn't worth anything and if an old jewish guy decides so, it'll be worth less than toilet paper.
So exchanging your Rothschildbux for a digital bideo gaem license is hardly the worst thing you can do with it.
Nice dubs thread and (1) OP

good digits.

I don't even use Steam or play on PC at all.
But I still gotta ask. Is there a limit to the number of computers you can download the Steam games you bought and "own" onto? Because that's all I really want to know before getting an account.

Google has been giving me contradictory information regarding this question.

No, family sharing is limited, but that's a different thing.

It depends on your license agreement. The User license agreement almost always explicitly prohibits you from making copies of the game. You are legally allowed to make backup copies of games you own, that is the retail versions of games, but not of licensed games. The steam end user license agreement differs from game to game iirc, but more often than not you are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to install a single copy of the game for your personal use.

Personal use means that it is illegal for you to let anyone else play the game and that includes family members.

Ha, joke's on you: I never bought anything! OK, I did buy two games when I was naive, then I found out that you need to have that shit client to do anything and dropped Steam like a hot potato

I thought there was no way of deleting a Steam account. Did they change it?

Do I own these dubs?

but that's illegal

How do they plan on enforcing this law? Is the real reason they want facial recognition software becauase they want a way to figure out if the person playing a game is the same person who bought the license for it?

The kinect was developed to let Microsoft to detect license violations among other things. So if multiple people play a game or watching a movie, it would provide evidence that you're in violation of your license agreement and would give them the legal right to send you an additional bill or take you to court for license violations.

He didn't say he deleted it. He said he removed the games from his library which is possible. You have to buy the games once again to play them though, not sure what removing a game achieves other than that.

You can't delete your steam account, but you can cancel it by sending Valve a notice of cancellation via mail or email.

here comes the attention whores, upset nobody is talking about them

Daily reminder that the 'piracy' meme was invented by the MPAA to make it possible for their lawyers to prosecute people under archaic laws against piracy that are still on the books. (literal piracy, not the copying of games)
Do not ever call yourself a pirate or admit that you have committed piracy. It is a legal term that is purposely misapplied to send innocent people to jail and seize their property.

You most certainly can delete your steam account. You make a ticket stating you want your account deleted and follow the instructions they reply with. Any Valve games you bought a physical copy of, like pre-F2P TF2, you'll have to submit an image of it's CD key in the ticket as well.

Now he suddenly owns it.
From then on, it suffer disc rot, general deterioration, or break like any other physical media.

it can^

>because I live in a shithole, all the games are pirated fakes with nice packaging and manuals, I thought they were original until highschool when a friend told me this, dig out old nes like console with sega genesis-like gamepad and 50in1 smb3 cartridge, they were all fakes
>tfw my entire childhood memories were pirated, I was born into it, molded by it. I didn't see an original disc until ps3 release

So what? I've thrown plenty of money into arcade machines too. I don't care if I own the thing or not. I just want to play it, hassle free.

At least you admit that youŕe throwing money away for a little bit of entertainment.
You can't sell your games, you can't give them away, you can't even leave them to your children and grandchildren. You own nothing.

I had a ps3 version of mass effect 2 once. I remember that it came with a 1-time-use only code to download the zaaed character dlc.

I had to do a factory reset on my ps3 to fix a certain unrelated problem, but long story short, I couldn't assess that deleted dlc after the fact.
The only dlc I could still play afterwards was stuff that was already "on-disc", like the shadow broker or kasumi dlc. And ever since then, I felt differently towards dlc that's already on-disc (which I feel like I own and can transfer to any ps3) and dlc you gotta download (which is often tied to 1 system and could get unaccessable).

This why prefer GoTY editions that include on-disc dlc instead of getting a version where you have download them individually. Because I actually do feel a sense of ownership over on-disc content.

Conventionally I'd tell you to back up your hard drive, but I don't know if that's a possibility for consoles. A hard drive and a disc are essentially storage media for different niches and purposes.

Thats more of an issue with EA's shitty service and DLC rules. They always purposefully jew you, Spore's limited activation based on hardware is a perfect example of their retarded software and dlc rules

that's bullshit and I do not believe it

Meh. Most entertainment in life is a lot more expensive and short-lived. I'd still rather pay a few bucks for a game I can play as long as steam exists than paying to see a movie once, or drinking away a small fortune and call that fun. We're getting off pretty well with games, cost per hour of entertainment wise. And no kid will be interested in your ancient games, even if it would still run on their hardware.

This is stupid. EULA grans them unlimited power to ban you from services. Why bother with lengthy expensive court hearing they can lose? Just lock game and demand purchase of additional copy. Courts are outdated for company-client relationships in the 2018.

Why would you use that online shit anyway? Just get the actual cartridge/disc.

This. I used to not believe it, but then Shiguru Miyamoto raided my house to took away my copy of Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt. So now I just license my video games from Based Gabe Newell and Steam (TM). Now at least when my license expires, I don't have to suffer them breaking into my house again.