Is there a particular name for that visual style where technology is mixed with magic? Are there games that do this?

Is there a particular name for that visual style where technology is mixed with magic? Are there games that do this?

Can only think of Destiny (to a certain extent ingame but mostly in early concept art) and Final Fantasy 12 with the whole crystal stuff

Quite a few. You up for high tech society remnants where everyone regressed to magic or steamshit pushing at traditional magic? How about contemporary setting but with (((magic)))?

"Science fantasy" is the genre

Magitek? I dont know.

I do know that warhammer 40k has a ton of technology mixed with magic as well.

Anything, if you've got names post 'em

Forgot about Warhammer, too bad they don't have many vidya

Like I said, way too many. Might and Magic for one example.

Isn't Might and Magic just dudes in armor and magic?

Nope. Now, you got a genre or niche in mind or what?

FF stole the techno magic thingy from Ultima, along with the whole gameplay.

I like modern tech and magic

Never played this because I'm gay, sorry

That's alright, start with Ultima 7 if you would okay.

Anyone suddenly start thinking of Outlaw Star?
Anyway OP the term you are looking for is Science-Fantasy.

Richard Garriott is a cuckold.

I thought "Magitech" was the name for it but it's not a very big style so it doesn't really have a concrete name.

ArcanuM

Doesn't make Ultima 7 any less good, faggot.

There you go. Original Shadowrun, Dragonfall or Hong Kong, Redemption or Masquerade, Shadow Warrior. Gabriel Knight, Fahrenheit, Dark, Elex, Secret World. Various weebshit.

Don't make shit up.

fuck that's a good list
thanks

Don't be so fucking retarded.

I will not learn your special pronouns. Stay triggered.

Stay retarded.
I bet you don't even know who Edgar Burroughs is.

Good job faggot at ousting yourself for knowing fuck all.

I could forgive you for the first one seeing this board is intended for shitposting anyway but your taste in books is terminally shit.

You don't get to bring friends.

He's not my friend and you're still an idiot, it's a long established term. Exactly what the combination of Science Fiction and Fantasy elements is called

What about star wars?

Holla Forums is just about to eat you alive you know that right? At least the portion that actually reads books not burn it

It's Science Fantasy you stupid nigger.

You are just deliberately fishing for (You)'s now.

You're confusing me with the other user

Is it? That's a bit of a stretch

Why does he trigger Holla Forums or something?

More his works trigger Holla Forums
He took the piss out of Gommies a lot.

Star Wars is a criticism of the modern society that replaces spiritual faith with technological progress based on the cultural phenomenon young George saw as a 60's kid. In Star Wars, no matter how advanced the technology they posses, it's still powerless and irrelevant in comparison with the Force. I don't know if it can be categorized as techno magic fantasy, the role of the Force is deeper than simply magic.

Yes, it's called "retarded" and "for children"

uuuuuuuh, midichlorians aren't magic

:^)
no but seriously I had forgotten about he force being kind of magic

Force is the God, midichlorians are the Holy Spirit.

Nier and blue dragon

And Jar-Jar is Jesus, right? I've heard this one before.

unrelated but this is possibly one of my favorite pictures of all time

Dunno, but that fart scene was absolutely funny tbh.

Arcanum might be up your alley.

Anyway, the first big trend-setter was DOOM, followed by Quake. But the games OP mentioned are hardly successors to a particular style.

They can try. I'll even sweeten the deal and say that Mein Kampf was shadow written.

It's called good or shit depending on the work. Simple, I know, but you must admit it fits the bill.

I said the original plans. When destiny started off that was the point.

wut

No, it was Ultima. Even Romero was heavily influenced by Ultima.

Drakengard/Nier comes to mind

I was just listing different names someone could call a game with tech-magic mix. Post-apocalyptic fantasy was referring to settings where there's ruins of an ancient civilization that were so advanced their artifacts are revered as magic (or just are magic).

Oh, sorry. I don't know much about Ultima.

ah sorry

I'm currently watching it actually.

Check out shadowrun series as well obviously. Like Shadowrun:Hong Kong, and Shadowrun:Dragonfall.

Overdone?

only two games do this, quake and destiny. both of them have the same shit: a portion of the dev team wanted to do a fantasy game, the other wanted to do what they were already good at, they met in the middle.

Yes, autism.

Are there any decent custom campaigns or mods for these games? I felt the base games were incredibly lacking.

ET-TREE-AN Odyssey has this as a twist near the end.

the 'rise of nations'-spinoff called 'rise of legends' had this. it was somewhat fun; i enjoyed the campaign, but the multiplayer got very old very fast. i'd say it's worth playing once-thru for the campaign tho.

MAGITECH

Ultima 2 is shit compared to Ultima 1.
You just sail around the world looking for baddies to grind so you can accumulate enough shekels to bribe the guy at the Hotel California and hope he'll raise your stats except he eventually screws you over 'cause when your stats hit 99 he can raise them further and overflow them down to 0.
And you have to sail 'cause a bug prevents you from consuming food so it's the only way to stretch out your funds.

Ultima 2 is shit compared to Ultima 1.
You just sail around the world looking for baddies to grind so you can accumulate enough shekels to bribe the guy at the Hotel California and hope he'll raise your stats except he eventually screws you over 'cause when your stats hit 99 he can raise them further and overflow them down to 0.
And you have to sail 'cause a bug prevents you from consuming food so it's the only way to stretch out your funds.