Ancient and Venerable user Thread

Oldmen, post your first game you can remember.

Running the world.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!O1BC2SxK!sComuDLmBLzbGQBO5r1P9g
eene.co.nr/downloadable-games.html
old-games.com/download/5409/metal-marines-master-edition
macintoshrepository.org/5615-arashi
get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i miss the old times

couldn't find a screen shot of the game in the net. but it was on a XT 3000, it was a game where you were a Eskimo and had to jump between icebergs in a river, every time you jumped you scored points, if you got to the border of the screen of jumped in the water you died and the game was over.
It was a blast when i was 4yo.

I am less than one years old.

Not the first, but it's up there.

zx-81 labyrinth with a dino.

Is that a TempleOS game?

Pic related. I was like 4-6 when this came out. My dad saw my interest in computers and got me playing Doom, X-Wing, etc, shortly after. Was pretty much PC for life after that.

Holy shit I remember that game. Maybe one of you knows: did the game have some sort of feature that made your plane get more sluggish over time? I seem to remember it only happening in the F4.

Is that Corncob3D? I do remember playing that game and I'm kinda sure the HUD looked like that. No wacky alien shit on screen so hard to tell.

It is indeed Corncob 3D, my absolute nigger.

Last year I found my old hard drive from the 90s. Not sure if the games were the same here because beaner, so I don't know if people will remember this, but I'd like to know if someone does.

I think I only beat Fuzzy's World twice when I was a kid.

I don't care what Holla Forums says, you faggots have excellent taste. Except for the unironic Call of Duty players, they can eat shit.

settle down, Eric Harris

Hangman on a Computron

I played quite a few NES games when it was current gen, no idea what came first, but Chopper Commando is the first PC game I remember playing, followed by Ultima I and some monster arena fighting game that I haven't been able to locate.

If on my own PC (i386DX with 4Mb RAM), then probably this one. If the first game played at all, then it was Wolfenstein 3D.

First vidya I've ever played.

Tempest on DOS (or a similar game like it, my brother calls it arachi).

No, within six months.

The earliest gaming memory I have is a kind of handheld toy that I got for Christmas. It had a small monochrome screen with a very small number of pixels. It came with a bunch of punch cards. You could insert one punch card at a time, corresponding to a different game. I assume that the card simply told the device which game to load from its ROM.
The games were all pretty simple. There was a Galaga-like game (only with extremely simple graphics) whose punch card said it was "bean shooter" or something like that. There was artwork, I think on the punch cards, that tried to give each game a "theme" like that, though in reality it was only ever a few black pixels on a gray screen.
I think it had a red trackball as a control input.
I've never been able to find out what that machine was called, but it gave me a lot of entertainment when I was a kid, before I was tall enough to play arcade games, and before we ever got a PC or a game console.

I had an interesting childhood.

Not my video, and probably not the #1 first game I can remember, but it is damn close. C64 was my gaming rig until the NES.

Got it from a clearance section, probably around 2001.
no bully

Frostbite?

First full allowance i ever blew away 5 whopping quarters at an arcade game,took me a good 15+ years to remember the name of it,find it and play it again

How do you people even remember your first vidya, especially when you're living fossils?

This entire thread has one foot in the grave lmao
I wonder how it will feel to be called a fossil for playing snes games

When I was in middle school a kid brought a CD containing a shitton of old games on it and this was one of them. We played it quite a bit on the school PCs, nobody ever noticed

Fuck I had forgotten about this one

I play a lot of /vr/.

I don't consider myself old, but what the hell.
guess the country

Нищеброд блядь?

I wish I had a more interesting first game than Super Mario World, but it is what it is.

точняк

Ah, I remember this game. My uncle had a port of it on ColecoVision. Never thought I'd see it again.

We had the MS-DOS port though.

Not the very first but the most notable of the time.

I don't know. Something on the NES. Maybe Tiny Toon Adventures - since I remember playing it before we got our own NES.

Actually the second game, first was some WW2 hexagon strategie game.

How was it like to play vidya in and browse the internet before it started to become more popular and cancerous?
here's my first vidya

I remember when you pushed the turbo button on your computer, the whole game would go faster because they made the tick dependent on the cpu frequency.

OOOH NIGGA I FORGOT ABOUT THAT SHIT
DID YA SHOOT ALL THEM FUGGIN DUCKS???

Wasn't that Panzer General? Good game.

The first is pic related. I had an uncle who was a software engineer and hated kids so he'd bring his Atari out to keep us quiet when we visited on holidays. The first I played seriously was a pirated floppy of Doom on an old Packard Bell running Windows 3.1 with a P3 amber monocrome monitor, system speaker only, and no mouse. Good times.

Maybe someone here can help, but the first vidya I remember playing to completion was a PC game about going through different prehistoric periods to learn about dinosaurs and collect eggs via minigames, until you had them all and hatched them all with little magic rocks. At the end if you had all the baby dinosaurs you pushed a t-rex off into the ocean or something.
I've been trying to find the name of this game for years and I still can't find it.

Not as great as you would think. At the advent of multiplayer you still had to pay to dial out. So a single night of playing vidya and crawling BBS could get expensive quick. Try explaining to your parents why they just got a 250 dollar phone bill. I'm lucky they didn't send me to a damn reform school after that.

At least you had a nice story to tell, I can barely remember anything before Web 2.0.

As a kid, it was great, you only had to be looked down upon by your own parents. Moving on to teens, most your classmates will give you strange looks if you play anything other than FIFA on a non-rainy day.

I was lucky enough to not have access to internet until well into the teen years, and boy golly was it a fun trip back then. No steam/CoD monopoly meant that the meat of the player base was still semi evenly spread across different games like Unreal, Battlefield, Quake, Serious Sam, DooM, Tribes, etc… Multiplayer focused games didn't die within a month, gamespy was still alive, WoW was just getting some serious traction, but it wasn't cancerous just yet.
Even before that I can't really say, I was just a wee lad, blowing cartridges for fun. Game trading was a really quick way to lose friends if you fuck it up by damaging it or lending a game that wasn't your own to someone else. Since nobody spoke english or moonrunes in the old country, we had a hell of a lot harder time figuring out how to play said games, since they rarely came with a manual, let alone a box. But hey, we managed to beat Pokemon using nothing but trial and error, so there's that.
There was an adventurous atmosphere to gaming back then.

if you hadn't answered already i would've said you were polish, also that's also my first game iirc

i think we poles used similar nes copies as you did

Good shit.
Zaxxon port for apple was good too.

My dad played that and Dungeon Master all the time when I was a wee tot. Watched him play them and it got me into vidya myself. He is pushing 60 and plays things like civ and blitzkreig now. Good stuff.

Lots of oldfags in this thread, but lots of new blood, too. Feels good, man.

My first game was a Rambo game on the Sega Master System.

Halfchan Holla Forums sometimes has "help me remember the name of a game" threads. You could ask them.

I really liked the wackass collision detection in this game.

It looks like it and would fit perfect with the year of x-wing release.

I played this alot, i got autistic over it and started drawing alot of ships because of it. The animations of were amazing how the ships fell apart taking damage.

I was not prepared for this level of nostalgia.

That's not how Turbo worked on PCs, underager.

Yes, it did.

not really, no
it was exactly the opposite

C-Cartoon Network games
t. Millenial

I first got pic related as a birthday present on a bootleg cart that had other atari games like Pitfall and River Raid, I no longer have the cart but I still play the game on an emulator. Good times.

I remember the very first video game we ever got because I was standing on a church stage with my family and someone gave us gifts for some reason, and one of those gifts was a huge brown box that had a computer game in it and I didn't know wtf it was.

Video related, it was The Jungle Book. Came with some little microphone and everything and you were supposed to make chimpanzee sounds to auto-solve puzzles, but it never fucking worked so you just had to solve the puzzles the hard way.

Fuck that brings me back, I remember the first time opening the CN website and getting bewildered by all the games. Back then everything was either made in flash or shockwave, I managed to collect a good number of flash games and a couple of shockwave ones but I never managed to get those working.

Either Tetris or SMB1

Bootleg Super Mario Bros on a shitty bootleg nes.

This is also one of the first games I have faint recollections of in my memory. We must be soulmates.

I wonder if those are still around somewhere,would love to replay them.

Zaxxon for C64 plus tons of other good'ol commodore games.

X-wing rules! One day, space shooters will RETURN!

Have yet to beat it or bother.

Oh my God the memories.

I have them plus the ones in pic related, downloaded from some unofficial "CN games pack" kind of thing.
Want?

Hell yes
also i'm a giant pervert when i see "fosters" and "swf" in the same line and immediately think of you know what

I'll start uploading to MEGA shortly, Fosters first.

So I uploaded Fosters, and will now upload the rest. It's gonna take a while though…
mega.nz/#F!O1BC2SxK!sComuDLmBLzbGQBO5r1P9g

Appreciate anything at all,archival is a lost thought nowadays.

What about the skating Ed, Edd and Eddie game? Spent hours on that one.

I assume you're talking about To The Eds-treme?
Seems to be downloadable here: eene.co.nr/downloadable-games.html

the first is one of the early megamans, sim city NES, or Kirby. i didn't have a console so it was at someone else's house. i'll throw this up there.

Can I nuke Canada in this game?

Only one way to find out:
old-games.com/download/5409/metal-marines-master-edition

It doesn't work anymore, but I still have it in my closet.

what about the ones where you had to collect item a for person a but person b had it and needed item b which person c had but he wanted item c and so on so forth?

(checked)
What's this one called?

By the way I finished uploading the CN flash games, and added 2 zipped shockwave games (To The Eds-treme and Trick or Treat Beat) that were re-packaged as official EXEs.

thanks, mango, appreciated

How old is ancient and venerable? I was born in 1992.

You can kind of estimate everyone's age based on this. Unless if you're a poor-fag.

This shit was rad.

First one I ever saw was probably Super Mario Bros. as my older cousins has an NES.

First game I ever PLAYED, myself, was either pic related, or maybe Wolfenstein 3D. My parents didn't want me touching games until I was in kindergarten.

I don't think there are restrictions on how old you or your games have to be, people discover vidya at different times depending on where they live in the world and their financial situation.
Some countries get video games and consoles years after their release, some countries don't get them at all and people resort to importing or buying from abroad while they travel, some people couldn't afford a console until well into their teenage years or early adulthood…etc.
So just post your first game no matter what it is.

I can't remember how old I was when it came out, but I remember playing it around age 3 or so. Pic related was the first thing I could think of until I saw your post.

I think it was the e.t game,i was pretty excited cause it was e.t but playable.
I stopped playing vidya until i was 9 when i played earthworm jim

Why so?

One of my first rpg's.
I remember being confused and mystified by some the odd translations. I never beat it but rally like the ost even now.
Hearing the intro again reminded me that I would hold my gameboy speaker to my ear to listen to the music.

My first game was Wolfenstein 3D, but I mostly played GameBoy games all throughout my childhood and early adolescent years. Including this one I am feeling some nostalgia for atm.

Anybody remember these two super scope games?Battle Clash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge. Using the ultrashitty superscope, I poured my blood, sweat, and tears into beating these two games in a 4 day long marathon. My little cousin's had an SNES and I had to stay with them for a summer. Naturally, I saw they had an SNES and my autism kicked into full gear.

I recently beat Metal Combat on SNES9X with the mouse in 22 minutes, but none of the nostalgia was lost.

It was great until my brother got an NES.

YO!

I don't recall if this was fun or not, but we had it.

the copy protection questions increased my knowledge in airplanes.

omg Blockout. I'm tearing up rn

these are my first games

I think that old, shitty Sesame Street game is among the earliest I can remember. Can't remember the exact name of it, it's the 3D one, and I think that it had some notoriously obtuse and difficult sections that little kids always had tons of trouble with

I'm also struggling to remember the name of this series of games where you play as a cartoon rabbit who goes around a music-themed world and you have to do a bunch of mini-games where you play instruments and shit. I distinctly remember there being a part where there's a goat playing a drum set on the street, and I found that part to be very difficult because I didn't actually pay attention to the instructions for that part, so I just started randomly spamming buttons for an hour until it eventually worked.

oh and I also very vaguely remember playing some of the Pajama Sam series as a kid, though I can't remember which specific one(s).
I mainly just remember a part where you're in a sorta creepy, dark, empty town, and I think there was some creepy statue at this crossroads. Seemed like a nightmare scene or something. That part scared me a lot as a little kid

My first vidya game. I love it so much.
Why other games are not as good tho?

Holy fuck. I was convinced that I had dreamt up Nanosuar in my childhood, but I totally forgot the name to it. Thank you for reminding me, brother

Recreating it, This image of Sonic 2 is the earliest thing I can recall in my memory. though i don't have a concert memory attached to it. more detailed ones would playing OoT for the first time. and getting Tony Hawk's pro skater for my birthday, With my older brother being an ass saying

Not exactly sure if this is the game but if it is it sure would explain a lot in my life

Mario 64 on my nintendo64

I strongly suggest you do it. It's a very fulfilling experience.

Though I don't recall which version I played, as there were lots of rereleases and knock offs, this was the first game I played.

It's hazy thinking so far back, but I think I played this very briefly at a family friend's house when I was a few years old.

Come to think of it, I never played it again after that. I should fire up an emulator.

I don't remember which PC it was, DOS or even older, but there was a game where you were hopping around as a monkey collecting bananas (it's not Donkey Kong) - it was, I think, in CGA color scheme.

huh, games like this would be a good source of doom mod sprites

family win95 computer came bundled with a knockoff that had a wav clip of "game over man" from Aliens when you lost

the good shit, hotseat games were fun

Doom mod sprites off of Metal Combat? That's pretty creative. Here's a full video of the game just in case you've never played it.

On second thought, it might have been Spy Hunter on old computer in library back in 1st or 2nd grade

Not quite ancient, but Wolfenstein 3D on my dad's Apple. There were probably some before that, but I don't remember. My first console was a NES in circa 1999 and I played the shit out of Duck Hunt and Wario's Woods. I also got a PS1 at some point and played Pro Skater 2 until the controller wore out.

MY ETERNAL NIGGER

I love you. Please deliver.

My earliest memories are probably Pong and BallBlazer. The absolute garbage pile of discount atari vidya at the time was downright overwhelming. I knew someone who bought a literal truck load of bulk atari carts.

Another early memory would be showing some friends Custer's Revenge when I got bored during a game of pass the controller with Metroid. It blew their minds that it even existed and I wasn't bullshitting them. I don't think we ever got around to finishing Metroid.

I remember my brother (~9 years older) being SUPER HYPED that this had come out, and then playing it while literally in diapers. I was shit at it but then babies are shit at everything except shitting

chopper commando was the shit

this is my reaction to this whole thread

when I was in high school the game in pic related got me through a year of a useless web mastering class where I knew vastly more about the topic than the teacher and helped teach the class at times

Either pic related or the russian bootleg of it. I do remember it had some colours in it. hey, it's a commie shithole, you're lucky enough already to get some thing to play with

See

I remember getting Joust on one of those bootleg DOS floppies. I then absolutely lost my shit when I found out a local convenient store had a cabinet for it, and RAMPAGE alongside it. You couldn't find a happier little shithead. I probably made that slav rich by way of telling absolutely everyone those were there and not just at some fuckoff arcade 40 miles away, also every bit of pocket money I had. Nigga was usually ready with the quarters before I even got my bills out.

Whoops.

that's awesome, we lived in a trailer park (nice double wide trailer tho) when I was young and the circle K that was basically in the parking lot of the trailer park had a small arcade area that went through a few shitty games (APB, the original street fighter), but later the dude got a neo geo MVS and stuck picrelateds in it, it was fucking awesome

and then we moved 2 towns over less than a year later and there was no arcade or anything within bike distance, I turned into a mustard racist because my dad gave me his desktop since his work was furnishing him with laptops after that point

Nice, now that I think about it I don't think I ever ran into Metal Slug back then. Just some foggy memories of one of those with Samurai Shodown and something else.

Which game is this?

pomnyu kto-to v sadik prines paru raz, no u nas uzhe i GameBoy kirpichi byli

muh lil' nigga

It's really good too, try the re-armed version afterwards.

DJ Fu: Wax Attack 2

First owned portable game, first arcade, first computer game on Atari ST.

Played this with my dad, but I can't say I still play flying sims today.

user, you just unlocked some of my memories with this picture.

Star glider on my dad's Olivetti 8086 with green/black monitor.

This is the oldest one that I can still put a name to. There's also another one that I can't put a name to, also a C64 game, it was a single-screen sort of thing where you played as a crab and had to collect worms that emerged from bits of the background whilst dodging jellyfish… I may be misremembering shit, though.

Father use to let me play these two games when I was 2 years old from what he told me. I think it was a good set of games to start off with.

Hearthstone is just a low-IQ ripoff of MTG. Even lower-tier than Yu-Gi-Oh. At least YGO worked up to being mechanically diverse enough to be on the same stage as MTG. You think 25 years from now Hearthstone's going to be around? Fuck no.

Had to really think about it, 30 some years is a long time, but I'm pretty sure this is it.

The Kids Next Door aerial fighter was cool too. And the Billy & Mandy Halloween game

Never could figure out the Unicef game with all the CN characters bc I was a preteen though

God I hated this game as a kid. Sank so many fucking hours into trying to figure it out and got nowhere.

The create-a-track feature was pretty great.

this piece of shit

I remember playing some game on a computer like this (some dino game) at our public library. Eons ago, it seems now.

Before I got a Master System with Drouble Dragon my dad's girlfirend owned an Atari 2600 and Battlezone was the first game I ever played.

I know what I'm playing tonight…

for what it is, it's highly amusing.
feels bad

Always kill the yellow guys. When I got the game I thought it was funny how the cover makes it clear who the "Rush'n"s are.

Holy shit I forgot about that game. That hit me right in the feels… I used to play that with my brother all the time.

Dunno lol. I'm not even 100% that Mickey game was my first, but I'm pretty sure (and honestly if not, it's one of the first few).

Online gaming was almost entirely made up of tech-oriented adults with money to spare. The big upside of this was a community with an above-average intelligence. Any time you had a problem, you were expected to at least try to solve it yourself or read the manual. It was common to see people ask a question and get "RTFM" in response. Not to say people weren't kind though, because everyone was in uncharted territory and we knew it.
The vidya themselves though? There was a lot of trash out there, it just wasn't usually being sold as AAA gaming like today.
Also there was no real voice chat solutions outside of calling people with your actual phone, so that kind of sucked. Roger Wilco eventually solved that but the voice quality was shit back then because plenty of people were running 28.8 kbit dial-up connections which also had to run your game. It's kind of amazing that netcode could even support that at the time, but then game developers had no choice but to make it lean.

We ran a BBS and later a small ISP out of our house so internet access was cheap for me, but otherwise this was a major downside of the time. Things got better quickly though, once the actual internet nodes started opening up.

My fucking nigger. That's what team games are supposed to be like. Those really were the golden days of FPS.

The video you posted as evidence showed why some people remember Turbo buttons making stuff go faster as opposed to slower.

That game had some great mods too. I know my love for Soldat is fueled by the time I spent playing Liero.

Overall I have to say there are quite a few oldfags with great taste here. And the unexpected nostalgia… wow.

fuck yeah, stunts! one of the first PC games I really put time into, even if the racing part of it was actually S H I T

SSX

This has to be what you're thinking about

bump

Those two.

Look into it as an adult. The game is pretty fucking legit. It's a port of an MSX game, so it's perfect if you enjoyed La Mulana.

Pretty sure this isn't the first game I played, but it's the oldest one I remember. You're in a huge open field getting attacked by robots or something that shoot fireballs.

still have my bootleg slav cartridge

The first games my parents got for our PC was Tomb Raider and Bubsy.
The very first videogame I played was on an NES, but I can't be sure which game it was, even though the one my family got came with Super Mario I only remember watching my brother and sister play it.
The first games I actually remember playing was Kirby and Gremlins 2.

I've also played that, but it was on the Mac.
macintoshrepository.org/5615-arashi

WHY AM I JUST LEARNING ABOUT THIS?

a lot of flight sim anons in here.

Earliest games I remember playing were dangerous dave in the haunted mansion and captain comic. They came with the 386.

I'm having trouble running half of them. Does it require an old version of Shockwave or something?

I remember playing these on my grandmas computer waaaaay back, i don't know how she got them or even why, but she did, she also had other games like, captain blood, some french space game that reminded me of old Journey album covers, a cab(?) game set in some cyberpunk future where taxis have chainguns and shit on them and they pick up fares while killing people.
The only game she had that i could even halfway understand was some sort of early childhood educational game where you answered a green worms word questions and dumped slime on bad guys.

Works on my side, judging by your error you might have to install Flash Player for IE. Try going here:
get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
and selecting the choices in pic related, then tell me if it works.

That did the trick, thanks.

back when games were hard as fuck

That's one I have not thought about in years, remember playing a shareware version of it a lot.

That taxi one is almost certainly Quarantine, there's a sequel too if the first doesn't look exactly like what you played.

(checked)
Back then, almost everyone had some kind of joystick and learning a flight sim didn't take months, for the better or worse. Played lots of SWOTL, Red Baron, MS Flight Simulator, US Navy Fighters and so on.

Fun fact: Some guys from Ukraine made a Captain Comic clone called The Adventures of Pioneer Ksenia as Soviet Union was drawing its last breath.

That's a nice aesthetic. Never quite seen anything like it.