Twisted Metal/Car Combat Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/IP5eV
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/twisted-metal-1-pc-cd/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

With the adoption of uniform standard gamepad consoles are unequivocally for children, grown or otherwise, so, yeah.
Sage for low effort cuckchan OP

FlatOut 1 is awesome.

What?

The pic was like three guys opening their tuxes to reveal superhero shirts (like with the logos) underneath. Their dates were there, too, but not dressed as superheroes. Because what teenage girl wants to dress as a superhero to her prom?

Jaffe found this intolerable, and compared them to the KKK.

Reminder that the creator of the series is a total retard who made this steaming pile of shit.

Reminder that this game had some of the best gameplay of any of the Twisted Metal games but no one was willing to accept it because it didn't have your favorite driver in it.

did that ever come out?

No it wasn't like that, it was like 5 or 6 dudes and the girls where opening up their tuxes to reveal the superhero shirt underneath, the girls also had color coordinated dresses, like the supermans date was wearing a blue dress, green lantern green, flash red and so on.

For some reason Jaffe lost his shit at that.

Yes, it was free for all PS+ members when it came out if I recall, and that was a massive red flag in my book.

It also had:
A) Only 8 maps (No, splitting the maps into smaller maps doesnt fucking count as a seperate map)
B) Barely functional online play
C) A helicopter. In a fucking car combat game.

Too bad though, because like you said, the core gameplay is probably the best in the series, but its bogged down by a bunch of other problems.
Also why the fuck did they give Sweet Tooth Spectre's missiles. Seriously, why.

I was just playing this again today. Still so fucking good. I just wish I had another person to play it with on split-screen co-op.

The game was also one of the worst optimized games on the console. Seriously, shit barely ran. They could have done so many things to make it good, and yet…

Here ya' go mate.

Plus an updated one with more couples.

I like Twisted Metal's gameplay but the edgy style turns me off

archive.is/IP5eV

I recall playing the shit out of Star Wars: Demolition

I still don't know how he went from David "That's not the definition of misogyny, fuck Gawker, we're done" Jaffe to shit like this in such a short time. Vid related.

disgusting

Has-beens resort to guzzling the SJW Kool-Aid in an attempt to remain relevant. Adam Sessler and Cliff Bleszinski are other famous examples

Add in Randy Bitchford there too.

but in order to become a has been you must first have to become somebody to begin with

Can't they just take the money and cut it out with trying to take the fame every time? The fame's the worst part, you can't get away with anything without someone reporting that you picked your nose.

oh for fuck's sake, the pic clearly shows the guys in the classic standing-proud superhero pose while the girls toy with them in a post-modernist display of how secret identities were a needless concept

You can tell by the way they grab the shirt.

I don't buy it, there's some sort of mini-culture pressure for them to act like this. It really doesn't explain how it's so prevalent.

god forbid kids have some fun, and its double stacked virtue signalling

Is something wrong with me because I find everyone in that picture ugly as fuck?

Complete fucking pathetic retarded faggotry. Can't even handle being called out about it and keeps making up more bullshit.

*blocks your path*

It means you have standards.

Holy fucking shit someone else here remembers that game!

It was truly amazing and original

Car combat died because console FPS took its place, but Car Combat was a far better fit for controllers.

WELCOME TO THIS NEW EDITION OF TWISTED METAL
And you all read it in his voice.

Dollface though

No, but I would have read it in his voice if he said
I AM CALYPSO, AND I THANK YOU FOR PLAYING TWISTED METAL!

I hesitated between the two of them, and ended up thinking yours wasn't as impressive. Guess I was wrong.

your loneliness doesnt make it a good game.

I think the worst part was that they made Mr. Grim a fucking nigger instead of the actual Death. The sweet tooth mecha was cool, though.

You wouldn't a Dollface?

was fucking brilliant.

You'd think there would be thousands of Twisted Metal / Vigilante 8 / Crazy Taxi / Rogue Trip games on PC. At most we have is Carmageddon and that is some seriously cucked shit after their Election DLC.

frankly the deranged barbie from that other,less well-made,game in the series made for a more suitable character for it

I'm afraid to ask but I must know more.

I'm shocked they showed Hillary getting run over more than once to be honest.

nope
costume and makeup aside she screams crazy bitch

Luckily Mr. Grimm had something to wipe that smug look off his insane face (vid related). That said, the Grasshopper ending made me feel bad for the nutjob though.

Probably only included her begrudgingly to look more neutral.

My mom was kinda lax when it came to games and I fished it out of a bargain bin due to liking III (I was young and REALLY liked Rob Zombie). After playing if for a bit I put it down and had nightmares that night, and for the rest of the week.

Black was probably the most mature game released, and it's a car combat game.

I recalled playing it on my uncles Dreamcast when I was super young. Didn't really remember much apart from it existing.

Later replayed it on the PS1 version, it's just Vigilante 8 with Star Wars characters. So it's Fun.

Reminder that Vigilante 8 is a console version of Interstate '76 and neither of them are ever coming back

*Rascal King Intensifies*

I figured it out a while ago, but Car Combat games are mostly Arena shooters working around the lack controls.

So yes you are right that FPS took it's place, but it's more a relic of Arena shooters. And why would someone want to play a slower arena shooter?

And SEGA is insanely protective of Crazy Taxi for some reason and is what caused Simpsons Hit and Run to get made, after they caused a fuss about Road Rage.

It's not that bad, just an option you can throw on and was done as part of their remake.

What's worse is the driving physics are crap, everyone is a bit too hardy then you'd like them to be, same for peds. It just becomes more of a slog to run people down. It's all worse then Carmagedon 1 IMO. Also Online is ded.

These games look pathetic.

It's like how when you hear Goldfinger's Superman you think of Tony Hawks and/or Pizza Hut

I remember there was a cheat code that showed her panties up close. Oh such innocent times

Reported for underage

I copied Jak X Combat Racing again, remembering I never finished it. For whatever reason the menus hang constantly and sometimes game fails to load the next part of the track and everything hangs. Maybe I should get real disc, or did anyone else ever experience the vanilla game doing this? I think I had similar issues back with the original disc.

twisted metal 2 came out on pc

sup bitches

While I'm aware that it wouldn't top the first game, I wouldn't mind an another go.

so did 1

theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/twisted-metal-1-pc-cd/

have fun playing at hyperspeed unless you're rocking a pentium 1

Never heard of this shit until now. How bad can it be?

Except Black was complete shit compared to Twisted Metal 2. 4 player mode had ONE arena that was just an empty stadium.

Not arguing there, of course, but I just like it too.

Left, Square, Square, Square, Left

I swore that this song started with Calypso saying "Let's demolition all of you"

I think Emu's have an issue with it. Though there were some odd bugs with it if I recall.

Black was okay. the one after that was trash.

jaffe is a jew you fucking moron, look up the ancestory of the jaffe name. no shit he hates trump, trump calls for western civilization to strengthen itself while jews have no ties to western civilization, especially when western civilization once tried to exterminate them entirely.

faggot

he never changed moron, since he was a teenager he's been a jew

literally not even remotely the same driver

It's awful. It uses "memes" as taunts, tries to be edgy and funny and fails at both. I recommend watching a video on it.

Small Brawl wasn't bad, basicly kid freindly TM2. Yes this came after black, despite being on the PS1 and was just them wringing a bit more out of the engine

And head on was good too.

Who would you assign a modern twisted metal game to,studio wise?

head-on was way too easy. by contrast, black is too hard on easy for casual play and twisted metal ps3 is too way easy on normal but too hard on hard

criterion games

You sure about that considering what they've been working on recently?

This. You'd want Three Fields Entertainment on it, which was founded by ex-Criterion, including the director of the Burnout games. That said they are a very small team and that shows in Danger Zone and Dangerous Golf.

destruction derby64 was pretty good too.

I had never heard of them before you saying their name,they must be insanely small

Carmageddon is free on GoG right now.

Go buy the other Carmageddons there while at it though.

CARDBOARD BOIS

Reminder that Mr. Slamm is the best TM vehicle.

had gadget racers for ps2, could never figure out how the hell I could get past 5th place in that game

got damn it, now im ordering shitty pizza

I still have TM: Black. Sometimes I pop it in the PS2 just to play the credits.

I'm pretty sure Criterion is basically a shell now, and owned by EA so no. TBH I don't know who could really do it justice. You'll either wind up with something too goofy like 3 or 4, or something that doesn't feel right or is inundated with bullshit.

Think it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

It's a shame he never really gets in though. He was supposed to show up in the PS3 game, but got cut. Though none of the characters really made it in

You either:
A) Git gud
B) Grind until you can afford the next level of engine
C) Both

Outlaw actually wins in the end

you're pathetic

Nah

Excelsior Stretch from V8 2nd Offense had the better shock special weapon.

I miss that 90's edge that TM had going for it.

If only the servers were still up. One of the best PS3 launch titles. Haven't tried the PSP port yet.

That said Mr. Grimm and Minion were the best.

In TM2, Outlaw 2's story says Outlaw won TM1, but the Minion boss fight always says Minion is the current champion.

In Head-On, Outlaw's story says Outlaw 2 won TM2 (continuing the story of Outlaw winning TM1), Mr. Slamm's story says he won TM2, and Grasshopper's seems to imply she won TM2. Sweet Tooth's story then says he won a bunch of times in the past. Plus there are plenty of other characters who continue across multiple games, even though anyone who doesn't win should be dead.

The stories in Twisted Metal games literally contradict things in the same game.

DRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW

yeah, but its a fucking wheeled apc, tanks are cool

you ever thought that the game doesnt have a running canon

I liked Clyde's Original version. Might be because he shouts "LIGHTNIN'" though.

Also I loved the Dual Grub Loader in V8 2nd Offense

I played it, the plot in the single player was dumb, but still a fun game. Looking at it now it reminds me a lot of Gas Guzzlers Extreme, maybe give that a look.

(Heil'ed)
There was a Pseudo remake of V8 on Xbox Arcade (by all accounts you weren't missing much).
And so many others. Genre's dead.

For some reason I always remember his car looking more like this.

It sounds pretty straightforward - the character you want to win Twisted Metal is the one who did it.

Fucking RIP.

When was he relevant?

Twisted Metal Black was edgy shit that just happened to fit in at the time period of its release. I can remember pop culture being into edgy, dark shit from the late 90's to early 2000's. Still, I really liked it. It's just a product of its time.

I miss 90's edge in general.

Also, I dunno if anyone's brought it up but I remember another reason I liked Twisted Metal Black so much is because there's a bit of a meta game happening but you're not really introduced to it until you've basically beaten the game with everybody and unlocked Minion. I can remember scouring the internet for clues and seeing all the theories about how the game was connected to TM2 and was actually just events in Sweet Tooth's head

Only on reddit.

Yeah, but when?

Since when did edgy became the replacement word for gritty?

Edgy as it was, Black was still a very dark game. Looking at GTA:SA which was fairly edgy, it wasn't really dark. Black was more in line with Eternal Darkness in terms of theming, over say Shadow the Edgehog too.

There's gritty and then there's edgy. LA Noir is gritty, TM Black is Edgy Disregard him anyways, the edgyness gives it flavor.

Anyways, has anyone played Critical Depth? I heard it came about due to critiques of TM1's driving physics being so ice like they looked into making every car hover to explain it. They obviously elected to just fix it for TM2.

I think people too many times don't realize that edge can be written well and actually deserved.

The game has multiple timelines/canons, the TM2 timeline (TMSB, TM1, TM2, TM3, TM4, TMHO), and the TM Black timeline, which takes place inside Needles' head (TM Black, TM Lost, TM 2012).

Are TM3 and 4 counted as canon?

i badly need a good Kart game

TM3 and 4 probably got written out at some point.

I thought 2012 was in some strange combination of canons, since that version of Calypso had mementos and trophies from previous TM games.

Anyone else remember Jak X racing? We'll never get a new Jak X game

Sadly it seems like it's Mario Kart or nothing these days. Not even a refreshed CTR, last one I can think of is BLUR and that's kind of Ehhh game.

Something called Kartkraft is in the works apparently though. Might be too simish though.

I think they just never acknowledged them since they were done by 989 Studios.

Calypso's cabinet Also has nods to other games Jaffe worked on (God of War, and War of the Monsters). Ultimately I think it's it own thing that would have gone on to form a new canon, had it not bombed. As it stands it has most in common with the Black universe and can be considered part of that.

it was fun, i enjoyed the soundtrack.

The ending and story from what I remember sounded fucking way better than jak 2 and 3.

since 12 year olds too young to understand why edgy is satirized in the first place misused the word ad nauseam

One of the reasons the live action endings were cut from TM1 was sexism. It was bound to happen.

he made them you fucking dingus, it wasn't his choice to cut them. maybe you should actually pay attention before trying to spout shit.

And he even said that he was proud of them.

They were also pretty terribly done, even for 1995.

This game actually looks pretty dope.

So many memories!

If the demo I played was any indication, this game's gameplay was steaming garbage. If you're on a regular missile and rapid fire, once you're out the game just auto switches to your next powerup, nevermind what it is, and you usually end up wasting it. Also the controls were atrocious. If the demo was an early build and the game's controls are much better, they should've held back on releasing that shitty demo until the build was better.

And yes, it was goddam, fucking retarded turning all the characters into Sweet Tooth. who the fuck wants to play that? That'd be like a street fighter game where every character wears a Gi and is team Ryu vs Team Ken. Fuck sweet tooth, despite what Sony seem to think, nobody's on his dick that hard. He's not all that good a character. Well ok, he was alright at first but they quickly overexposed him until he wore out his welcome.

Man, Toy Commander was fun as shit

I don't understand Roadkills ending. Is it supposed to be an actual happy ending? If so, what's with the evil glare on Calypsos face?

Because it was bullshit. Calypso put him into a dream world. The doctor when he 'woke up' has Calypso's voice.

okay buddy we get it you hate fun

I highly doubt they had such high minded notions there, they were just being insufferable millenial fags.

The girls are all pretty fugly in their own ways and the 'males' are a motley crew of chinless dyels. Putting a tux or a flashy dress on a pig doesn't make it fuckable.

That's not how you spell Hammerhead

this, he's good in moderation but use him too much and all value is lost

What the fuck with that drawing.
Duke's got a vag? and he's pissing himself?
Why is he fat?

As long as you dont pick sweet tooth.
I always thought sweet tooth was fucking gay.
Clowns are fucking gay

You never saw Randy Fagford sing about gamergate?

His special in TM2 was dogshit.

Just popped in to say that the difference between dark (Twisted Metal) and edgy (recent garbage trying to be dark) is sympathy.
Twisted Metal has some strangely sympathetic characters, which makes the story something that can both take itself seriously, and have the player take seriously without immediately dismissing it. When Sweet Tooth (Kane) wishes for his pain to end and is told that his wish will be granted so long as he doesn't kill anyone again, you can sympathize with him when he immediately murders Calypso and states that a man has to have his priorities. Even though you only see Kane for a minute and he speaks just a few words throughout the course of the game, you can immediately understand him and what his goals and methods are.

Just thought I'd pop in to say that. A more modern approach to Twisted Metal would just have a bunch of crazies killing eachother for no reason other than that they can. Just adding a little bit of personality to the characters goes a long way, even if you aren't (and really shouldn't be) paying attention to the story.

Fucks sake.

That's one angry piece of jerky.

Never played either, but I do recall people saying the Demo was shit, but the game turned out to be the best Gameplay-wise.

Sweet Tooth is alright as a character. But you're right about the over exposure, especially in TM '12

More Kart games then Car combat but someone was asking about Kart games earlier.

I'll never understand how the developers thought Modnation Racers loading times were acceptable.

he got shot with a grumpy laser

The T-Rex scared me so much when I was a little kid, I didn't touch TM2 for months.

I love that their wish is so fucking simple that Calypso just grants it and lets them go in that game, even the lost ending is pretty much the same thing.

Was I the only one scared shitless by these games as a kid? I still loved TM2 though.

Who owns the IP now?

Now I wanna play it again; need to figure out how to get a PS1 emulator in the right state to run discs.

They still make them?

There needs to be more games from that perspective.

Better than most everything else I've seen.

H…He's going to give him a 20-year-old's decapitated head next year, isn't he?

The devil is in all of you!

I had the full game, and your description fits perfectly, the gameplay and controls were fucking shit, too bad because the game had potential.

Is this a joke?

Nah, most people are fucking ugly to look at.

You're actually not wrong.

I know, I discussed it somewhere else. Still think of my version though.

Yes, I think so. You have to use a Password to unlock Sweet Tooth far as I know but otherwise beat story mode regularly.

I didn't know Holla Forums had good taste.

I actually realised just now that Mr Slam is D-FENS from Falling Down

Twisted Metal Head On pretty much ignores the events of all the other Twisted Metal games except 1 and 2, it just serves as a direct sequel to 2, it should be acknowledged more often.

The PS2 version is way better than the PSP original

Anyone else play this? It's alright, if a bit tedious after a while (the last tournament is 4 hours alone by itself apparently with 3 shorter ones running up to that with not a lot of change of modes).

Also suffers from frame rate issues but I saw someone playing Bully Scholarship Edition (which also had frame rate issues) on an XBoned and that fixed that games issues with frame rate so I wonder if the same would apply.

Also BEST DEMO DERBY GAME COMING THROUGH!

It's almost died a few times but yeah.

Well 3 and 4 were done by a different studios and were regarded as crap and are considered non-canon. Black takes place in Sweet Tooth's head (Dark Tooth's ending might tie into Black if you read into it like that actually). And Small Brawl is a prequel spin off of sorts. But you are right in it being more or less a sequel.

I think it getting over looked is due to 1. being on portable first which probably got it written off by some and 2. TM '12 going in a completely different direction so there's no reason to dwell on the lore implications of HO

Only problem i have with head on is the difficulty, as much as Black is brutal and ruthless on normal, head on is a complete joke even on ultra hard.

Gear Up was alright for a freemium game but it was really lacking in a lot of places. The customization was good but holy shit the grind.

Head on is so far the first Twisted metal I played. I love how it was,

frankly i'd sooner go watch the tv series of the same name since it at least tried to be original and that's not something i can say often about a videogame vs a tv series

It was more fun than it had any right to be.

I don't really see the point of car combat games. They're basically jet fighting games but severely dumbed down to the point where you only fight on a single horizontal plane which is fucking retarded. The majority of gameplay is just killing people that are distracted while trying to kill someone else, other than that it is just driving straight at each other with no way to dodge, basically flipping coins on who causes more damage. Critical Depth seems like the only game in the genre that gets around this due to its deep sea setting, I'm going to give this one a try.

Have you ever played a car combat game? There are attacks and defenses used by commands put in the controller. I've played my fair share and the challenge comes from using actual tactics to win a match. When to run, when to use your given defensive abilities, when to attack. You cant just pish the offensive and win.

They're arena shooters that work around the lack of mouses for precise shooting.
But they're still complex, and there's some levels with nice vertical (And Vigilante 8 2nd offense has a hover upgrade, and shields and things that defend against homing weapons, give it a try if you think the genera is simple). And every game has the usual suspect of the the big heavy car that has to tank stuff but there's also ones that rely on speed and positioning to avoid damage.

There's something about the lack of music (or any background sounds for that matter) in that intro that just amplifies the spookiness in an old-school sort of way.
Like, all you hear is the echoing laughter and the ground breaking up as it rises up. It feels like the entire city's been purged of life and it's just you and the boss left, with no one to save you from the giant fucking fast food restaurant tower with a giant clown head relentlessly chasing you around the city.

Also TM2 world tour gimmick and wacky shit came way too soon in the series life.
They could have had threr solid dark games like tm1 takng place in American cities and then when the series started losing steam throw a curb ball and make something like tm2.
What a horribly mismanaged franchise.

There was a canceled TM game called Apocalypse which supposedly influenced the '12 game. I kinda wish we got apocalypse instead. We'll never get Twisted Metal: Harbor City though

IDK, still seems goofy. Though I've always wondered if you can find that in the regular level. Dark Tooth has a much better intro. Has the same lack of music though I can't help but think they ripped off a clip of Mark Hamill's Joker listening to it now

How so? TM2 seemed like a logical progression from the first game. And considering Singletrac lost the rights to TM after 2 it's probably best we got it how we did.

You wanna talk about too many gimmicks and wacky shit, the next two games are prime.

Bump

So since someone brought it up I decided to play Motorseige: Heros of Primetime.

It's fun, though you really need to get use to the controls, hovercars and being able to strafe (and after having beat the first boss just now, you need to learn how to do that well).

The customization if fun and more then just "Stats be better". And Quasi Wrestling show theme gives it some nice flavor same cheap games lack.
Does feel like it's the result of throwing a bunch of ideas into a blender though. And is sucks at explaining shit (what's firepower? You can't change weapons except when you pick a new one up though you apparently store them?). It is however not better the TM black like the user stated though. Far less likely to spawn nightmares though.

Speaking of Wrestling and car combat, did anyone else play WWE Crush Hour?

Are there any upcoming Car Combat games worth note?

You'd probably get one with esports shilling and dlcs up the ass. Maybe its time for this genre to sleep for good.

Basically what said. The Last major (read actually got marketing) Car Combat game was Twisted Metal '12 which is six years now.

If you want you can pick up Gas Guzzlers Extreme, it's fun. More focused on racing then all out deathmatches.
There's also Crossout which is Free to play and kinda crap but it's a thing.